Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

jase1 posted:

So I see the Lawler fight is off any other interesting fights to look at for next weekend?

give a man a fish and he will eat for a day... u should fight your pool boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
jase is so cool

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I have never had a pool boy this will be my first one. My fighting days are over I have been stabbed twice and had a few pool cues smashed over the back of my head along with several beat downs in my life but mostly I was coward and got the gently caress out of dodge when poo poo was going down. It's better to run with a pocketful of money then get the poo poo kicked out of you and robbed at the same time.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hope you find someone for the job jase

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

jase is so cool

I don't even know who the haters are supposed to be anymore.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Just put a bit of money on gray maynard's chin to be less of a factor in a fight outcome than horny guy's general terribleness. Gray is paying over 3:1

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Bookie says he can't take on any new people. He also wised up and figured out the O/U on buys was at 5 million on line and he voided my bet this morning. So no free money for me.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

jase1 posted:

Bookie says he can't take on any new people. He also wised up and figured out the O/U on buys was at 5 million on line and he voided my bet this morning. So no free money for me.

Condolences jase, but I know in my heart this fight will make you rich one way or another

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just a little thing of note for bets maybe, Robert Whittaker rolled his ankle at open workouts on Wednesday. He seemed to walk it off but you never know with that stuff sometimes.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

jase1 posted:

Lame

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How often do bookies nix bets they've set up? Are there unspoken rules about when you can still cancel them?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
an illegal bookie can do whatever they want really

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

How do I start a class action lawsuit against my illegal bookie?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

an illegal bookie can do whatever they want really

Pretty much this. I don't wanna rock the boat because he trusts me and I trust him besides we are friends as well so there is some history between us and it would be stupid to take a stand considering how much money we have made off each other.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

jase1 posted:

I have never had a pool boy this will be my first one. My fighting days are over I have been stabbed twice and had a few pool cues smashed over the back of my head along with several beat downs in my life but mostly I was coward and got the gently caress out of dodge when poo poo was going down. It's better to run with a pocketful of money then get the poo poo kicked out of you and robbed at the same time.

I wanna hear one of these stories some time

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Now that I'm retired I will have plenty of time to start another pool hustling for dummies thread. Depends how good I do in the main event this year of the WSOP. Hint I will most likely be knocked out before the money I'm a terrible tourney player. Cash is where it's at for me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

jase1 posted:

Pretty much this. I don't wanna rock the boat because he trusts me and I trust him besides we are friends as well so there is some history between us and it would be stupid to take a stand considering how much money we have made off each other.

Wait...
Do you have some mysterious system where you both make money? How's that work?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

n8r posted:

Wait...
Do you have some mysterious system where you both make money? How's that work?

Bookie places bets with other bookies at different odds (Hedges bets)?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Hedging is the way a bookie survives. I'm smalltime potatoes compared to his other clients. He has a couple of guys who do 50k bets. I'm up overall with him my only big loss was the cavs finals this year. I won enough in the playoffs that it wasn't really a loss to me. Plus mma has been very good to me as well. Plus we both play a lot of poker against each other so sometimes I may win 5k from him at sports booking then he will win a couple grand from me at the tables over a few sessions or the reverse happens. We play in a lot of the same cash games and sometimes we never exchange money unless one of us needs it. I get credit at his cash game every week and usually use my winnings for that.

Gambling in a town like cleveland is basically 100 or so guys pushing money back and forth to each other over and over again. Except pool no one beats in my pool at least around here no one besides my uncle frank can beat me. I'll bet anything on that. I'm that confident in my abilities and will shoot anyone anytime.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

jase1 posted:

Now that I'm retired I will have plenty of time to start another pool hustling for dummies thread. Depends how good I do in the main event this year of the WSOP. Hint I will most likely be knocked out before the money I'm a terrible tourney player. Cash is where it's at for me.

I'd let you stake me

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

JaySB posted:

I'd let you stake me

I have never played the main event. I just want the experience of playing it for now but it is a tempting offer. You actually won me $500 bucks when you were playing heads up at the final table a few years ago. I was watching it with a bunch of people and I bet another guy that you were bluffing with a straight draw on that huge bluff you played. I think you had 45 or 56? The guy I bet thought you had 3 of a kind if I remember the hand correctly.

I don't really stake people I like to lose my money on my own.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Isn't staking a guy effectively betting on them? What's the difference in betting on the Cavs, and betting on JaySB?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

There is staking a guy and then there is buying a piece of his action. I have done neither of these things except in small time cash games so I might be wrong. Feel feee to correct me

Staking a guy is when I would essentially front the money and whatever he wins we decide on an agreement to split the winnings and whatever that guy loses is usually on the person who staked him. I have seen 60-40 50-50 and even 75-25. I'm sure their are a ton of different staking options those are the only ones I have seen or heard of.

Buying a piece of that action is like a guy giving you a percentage of his winnings for you giving him money for his buy in. So if bought 10 percent of a guys action I would get 10 percent of what he wins. This is how I have always seen it done. I don't really dabble in that though I'd like to just have control over my own money and if I lose it so be it, it's on me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Oh okay I didn't know there was a difference between staking and getting part of the action.

My argument was that I don't see why betting on Mayweather to win is different than betting on JaySB to win, except that if Mayweather loses your bookie gets the money, but if JaySB loses (or wins) he gets them money.

Unless you just don't like betting on something you do yourself (pool, poker, etc)?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat nunes is a dog along with romero?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Skip My Posts posted:

drat nunes is a dog along with romero?

please don't be rude

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I can see Schevchenko being favoured since its a 5 round fight, that is, if the 2nd fight goes exactly like the first one and the late rounds follow the trend from that fight, which who knows

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

jase1 posted:

There is staking a guy and then there is buying a piece of his action. I have done neither of these things except in small time cash games so I might be wrong. Feel feee to correct me

Staking a guy is when I would essentially front the money and whatever he wins we decide on an agreement to split the winnings and whatever that guy loses is usually on the person who staked him. I have seen 60-40 50-50 and even 75-25. I'm sure their are a ton of different staking options those are the only ones I have seen or heard of.

Buying a piece of that action is like a guy giving you a percentage of his winnings for you giving him money for his buy in. So if bought 10 percent of a guys action I would get 10 percent of what he wins. This is how I have always seen it done. I don't really dabble in that though I'd like to just have control over my own money and if I lose it so be it, it's on me.

Essentially this is correct. There's a good 100/200 game this weekend if you want to play

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

JaySB posted:

Essentially this is correct. There's a good 100/200 game this weekend if you want to play

You gonna stake me? That's way out of my league I usually play 5-10 NL or 4-8 PLO 8/B

My wife wouldn't let me near a game like that and you guys would eat me alive.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

jase1 posted:

You gonna stake me? That's way out of my league I usually play 5-10 NL or 4-8 PLO 8/B

My wife wouldn't let me near a game like that and you guys would eat me alive.

I'm too poor to stake. Play 2/5NL. 5/10 is typically a much tougher game.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

1k on Oleynik at +175
1k on omielanczuk at +475
1k on romero at -110
1k parlay on all 3 which pays close to +3000

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jase1 posted:

1k on Oleynik at +175
1k on omielanczuk at +475
1k on romero at -110
1k parlay on all 3 which pays close to +3000

There's 1/3 for you.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Haha Travis Browne is poo poo and was the only reason I bet on that olenik. He lost to a guy that's older than me. That's a good start for the night.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jase1 posted:

Haha Travis Browne is poo poo and was the only reason I bet on that olenik. He lost to a guy that's older than me. That's a good start for the night.

If you haven't heard much about Oleynik he's basically russian grapple grampa very similar to a HW demian maia.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

I don't follow mma close enough to know who most of these guys are. Everyone in the UFC thread always shits on Browne so that's why I bet on the other guy.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

jase1 posted:

I don't follow mma close enough to know who most of these guys are. Everyone in the UFC thread always shits on Browne so that's why I bet on the other guy.

This is always a good bet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jase1 posted:

Good call.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
it's basically a crapshoot to bet on heavyweight fights but there is some reason it's smart to bet against Browne. back in 2014 Browne unexpectedly won three fights in a row, of which two were guys who were way way better than him. That got him into a title eliminator that he lost, but he was still ranked near the top of the division. he beat ronda rousey's unranked ex-boyfriend who sucked, got effortlessly beaten by a guy who was like #7, cheated shamelessly to beat another unranked guy, then dropped two in a row to ranked guys and then Derrick Lewis. Because his only losses were to guys who were way better than him, he's still like #10 in the division even though he realistically is a barely 10-15 talent who just got really lucky, plus anything can happen at heavyweight. So ever since he lost to Werdum the first time, he's usually been overmatched. Oleinik is the first guy on his level he's fought since Schaub (I'd say Mitrione is strictly better and just got unlucky)

also when he went on that hot streak in 2014 he was at Jackson's, which was a really good gym for guys with his talents, but he got huffy and went to Ronda Rousey's worthless Armenian shithole gym after the Werdum fight and has thought he's a boxer ever since, which means he's actually quite a bit less good than he was in 2014. He's training other places now and finally kicking again but he clearly doesn't have the confidence and gameplanning he got from Jackson's.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

it's basically a crapshoot to bet on heavyweight fights but there is some reason it's smart to bet against Browne. back in 2014 Browne unexpectedly won three fights in a row, of which two were guys who were way way better than him. That got him into a title eliminator that he lost, but he was still ranked near the top of the division. he beat ronda rousey's unranked ex-boyfriend who sucked, got effortlessly beaten by a guy who was like #7, cheated shamelessly to beat another unranked guy, then dropped two in a row to ranked guys and then Derrick Lewis. Because his only losses were to guys who were way better than him, he's still like #10 in the division even though he realistically is a barely 10-15 talent who just got really lucky, plus anything can happen at heavyweight. So ever since he lost to Werdum the first time, he's usually been overmatched. Oleinik is the first guy on his level he's fought since Schaub (I'd say Mitrione is strictly better and just got unlucky)

also when he went on that hot streak in 2014 he was at Jackson's, which was a really good gym for guys with his talents, but he got huffy and went to Ronda Rousey's worthless Armenian shithole gym after the Werdum fight and has thought he's a boxer ever since, which means he's actually quite a bit less good than he was in 2014. He's training other places now and finally kicking again but he clearly doesn't have the confidence and gameplanning he got from Jackson's.

To a casual mma fan none of this means anything to me. He is just a fun guy to watch lose as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jase1 posted:

To a casual mma fan none of this means anything to me. He is just a fun guy to watch lose as far as I'm concerned.

he's ranked much higher than his talents deserve