Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Haha people informed her in the replies what the sign meant and she doubled down saying they need a different way to show strikeouts

https://twitter.com/Sania90/status/882435917201461248

:eyepop:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That has to be a troll. There is no way someone is that stupid and ignorant.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
hahaha fuuuuuck

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/882454406863736834

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:pwn:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

A stupid and ignorant person on twitter you say :thunk:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
9 days, 8 games, 3 cities, 4 wins, 4 losses. My road trip has come to a close. This is something I've wanted to do for years, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. Three really cool ballparks (although I live near Baltimore so I've been to Camden several times).

Here's a picture from my seat from every game.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Astros have 7 doubles in 3 straight games :getin:

Also those pictures are really awesome, I wish I could take a road trip like that right now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So why are strikeouts symbolized with a 'K'?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So why are strikeouts symbolized with a 'K'?

Back when the guy who invented all the abbreviations we still use in box scores was doing it, he gave S to sacrifice fly (I guess because he got to it first). When he arrived at strikeout he decided to pick K because it was the last letter in "struck" as in struck out.

e: Henry Chadwick I couldn't remember his name for some reason

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

fast cars loose anus posted:

Back when the guy who invented all the abbreviations we still use in box scores was doing it, he gave S to sacrifice fly (I guess because he got to it first). When he arrived at strikeout he decided to pick K because it was the last letter in "struck" as in struck out.

e: Henry Chadwick I couldn't remember his name for some reason

This was the mid-1800s so people didn't strikeout that much (like, twice a game would you see someone strike out) and probably sac bunted all the time because nobody could field properly (In 1876 60% of all runs were unearned) . So one was much more common than the other.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Growing up my coach always told me it was a k because it took three 'strikes' of a pencil to write it

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

John Wilkes Booth posted:

This was the mid-1800s so people didn't strikeout that much (like, twice a game would you see someone strike out) and probably sac bunted all the time because nobody could field properly (In 1876 60% of all runs were unearned) . So one was much more common than the other.

I didn't know that, thanks

It helps that K is not a symmetrical letter so we can just reverse it for called strikeouts, although I suppose S would work just as well in that regard. MLB officially uses SO these days but that looks dumb on a sign.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wins are dumb but Alex Wood is 10-0 with a 1.67 ERA and that's pretty loving boss

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In other news, Madison Bumgarner got lit the gently caress up by the Dodgers' high-A affiliate tonight, to the tune of 9 runs in 4 innings

baseball.... is good?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Imagine caring about a tune up start by an opposing team's pitcher in A ba

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I would have liked to go to the Sacramento River Cats game to boo the redneck pitching terminator but I doubt that would have played well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Did he ride a dirt bike into the stadium? This is important.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

marioinblack posted:

9 days, 8 games, 3 cities, 4 wins, 4 losses. My road trip has come to a close. This is something I've wanted to do for years, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. Three really cool ballparks (although I live near Baltimore so I've been to Camden several times).

I have been saying that I want to do this every year, and then the summer passes by without me doing it. Glad you got to watch so much baseball!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Beefy Lad has been recalled from Iowa and will make his triumphant return by hitting multiple Schwarbombs against the Brewers today.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kirios posted:

A lot of folks who don't follow baseball would be unaware of the significance of accumulating K signs. I don't think that it's stupid nor ignorant to have an initial "wtf" reaction. Considering Atlanta's name, mascot, and rally cheer, there's certainly some unflattering legit examples.

Upon receiving an explanation though, choosing to double down on the outrage was a tad dumb. Although I'll gladly take that extreme over the sort of folks who get fired up in defense of the name of the Washington NFL team.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

It's not like Morrison has a great track record, either - his 24 bombs pre-ASG are already a career high. I'd be totally fine with Morrison getting in over Moustakas, but between the Judge/Sanchez storyline and the fact that Sanchez has hit at a 50-HR-per-162-game pace since he broke into the league last year, I think Sanchez is a worthier candidate than Morrison.

Mike Axisa wrote today that from watching a lot of Yankees batting practice this year, he thinks that Sanchez is a better bet to win than Aaron Judge. He hits them over the fence all over the field and more often than Judge does. Maybe whoever decided on the participants also took that into account.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ihatepants posted:

Mike Axisa wrote today that from watching a lot of Yankees batting practice this year, he thinks that Sanchez is a better bet to win than Aaron Judge. He hits them over the fence all over the field and more often than Judge does. Maybe whoever decided on the participants also took that into account.

If it's based on batting practice, why has Ichiro never participated?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If it's based on batting practice, why has Ichiro never participated?

He didn't want to this year and was supposed to in 2008, but got injured just before the ASG.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: I had a dream last night that there was someone going around shooting up a hotel I was staying at because they were annoyed at the amount of media coverage Aaron Judge was getting for participating in the HR Derby.

V: I probably spend too much time on baseball Twitter. :ohdear:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The HRD should take a page from the wrestling playbook. Have the winner issue an open challenge and let LoMo, Ichiro, and whoever actually wants to try try.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Each team should nominate a home run derby champion. The champions could square off 1 on 1 before regular season games start until we have a top 8 who go on to the derby.

Winning league gets WS homefield advantage, winning team automatically gets the second wild card.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

marioinblack posted:

This is awesome. I only have one single thing on my bucket list, and that's to do a Summer road trip and see a game in every park in one season. It probably won't be something I can do until after retirement.

Excellent job in choosing three of the prettiest ballparks in the majors. PNC is number one on my list of parks I haven't been to yet that I want to see in person. I usually go to a game at Camden once a year. There's a place called Sliders right next to the park that has Tater Tots topped with crab dip and it's a must-eat every time I go.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Imagine caring about a tune up start by an opposing team's pitcher in A ba
Imagine your team's minor league affiliates doing something good and worthwhile

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd always assume the K thing was something introduced in the 50's or 60's whenever they started referring to strikepouts as punchouts, the logic being punchouts=knockouts.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Dodgers/Giants chirping is one of my favorite things about this thread. :munch:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd always assume the K thing was something introduced in the 50's or 60's whenever they started referring to strikepouts as punchouts, the logic being punchouts=knockouts.

I've always heard it's because S was already being used for Sacrifice on a scorecard, and K is the middle letter in Strikeout.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Dodgers/Giants chirping is one of my favorite things about this thread. :munch:
:same:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

marioinblack posted:

Hell yeah. I want to do a proper road trip and follow the Yankees at some point. I probably missed my easiest chance and should have done it during/right after college.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls do they have giveaways on the nights they raise the NL West Champion banners or do they cut corners since they've spent a billion dollars to get them

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Will the Giants commemorate the continuation of their "sell out streak" through the worst season in franchise history? Do you get some kind of "The 10th Man, sticking it out for 100 losses" tshirt or something?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Taint posted:

The Beefy Lad has been recalled from Iowa and will make his triumphant return by hitting multiple Schwarbombs against the Brewers today.

lol it's not gonna matter at this rate

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Having watched Ichiro take BP, I've never seen anyone else more consistent in hitting long rear end dingers. I don't know if he would have won, but he would have been an absolute delight to watch in the HRD.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

seiferguy posted:

Having watched Ichiro take BP, I've never seen anyone else more consistent in hitting long rear end dingers. I don't know if he would have won, but he would have been an absolute delight to watch in the HRD.

Let's be honest, has there been a more impressive player to watch at any facet of the game since he first arrived in Seattle?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Will the Giants commemorate the continuation of their "sell out streak" through the worst season in franchise history? Do you get some kind of "The 10th Man, sticking it out for 100 losses" tshirt or something?

They actually live broadcast this celebration to Chavez Ravine in the third innings of Dodgers home games have you guys not seen it on your way into the parking lot :confused:

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 6, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Let's be honest, has there been a more impressive player to watch at any facet of the game since he first arrived in Seattle?

love the new avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

They actually live broadcast this celebration to Chavez Ravine in the third innings of Dodgers home games have you guys not seen it on your way into the parking lot :confused:
I'm too busy :justpost:ing to watch things between innings. It's nice you guys can find the silver lining though

• Locked thread