Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blast is abysmal. They were so set on apeing 3D Blast's style that gameplay is basically an after thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Blast is abysmal. They were so set on apeing 3D Blast's style that gameplay is basically an after thought.

I will say it has bitchin' boss music though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 8-bit games that have Master System versions are worth playing on that. They're charming little games that do a good job with the limitations they have. Tails Adventure is easily the best one that's Game Gear only. It's what Wario Land was to Mario Land and it's a shame it didn't get a sequel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SeANMcBAY posted:

They're charming little games that do a good job with the limitations they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHZIT2vy42U

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Well... at least play Sonic 1 on the Master System...?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Except for that one.

I grew up with the master system sonic games, I have fond memories of SMS Sonic 1. It helps that it doesn't try to be a direct port of the Genesis version and it seems to use concepts and ideas from it's development that went unused too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I meant just 8-bit Sonic 1 and 2 but that's great.:lol:

I forgot about that. It's like one of those lovely Chinese bootleg games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I meant just 8-bit Sonic 1 and 2 but that's great.:lol:

I forgot about that. It's like one of those lovely Chinese bootleg games.

It's even better when you realize that this was a port of the gamegear game. On the gamegear the sprites are the same size, but the screen is the size of the tinier square that shows up whenever it needs to use a pre-rendered graphic.

It's abysmal to play.

behold

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 6, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What on earth do the goal signs give you?

edit: I need an av of sonic spinning in the Blue Marine current

edit 2: mein gott, that final boss...

All through, you can see traces of a good, or at least interesting, designer screaming against the system and programming limitations.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 6, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the inexplicable son-goku boss in the desert world for some reason.

Discendo Vox posted:

What on earth do the goal signs give you

According to the wiki. Rings give you 10 rings, character heads will give that character a 1-up, and the other charater 30 rings. Emeralds give you a continue, and super sonic gives you a 1-up and 30 rings.

Also, the special stages only give you emeralds if you find them in the second act, first act special stages just give you a 1-up.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i played the poo poo out of sonic blast on my brother's game gear as a kid, i was so young though i can't remember anything about the quality of the game. i just know it had sonic in it so that was all i needed to like it. i think that game was my only exposure to knuckles as a character pre-adventure era, i didn't learn there was a sonic 3 or a sonic & knuckles until i was older

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SeANMcBAY posted:

The 8-bit games that have Master System versions are worth playing on that. They're charming little games that do a good job with the limitations they have. Tails Adventure is easily the best one that's Game Gear only. It's what Wario Land was to Mario Land and it's a shame it didn't get a sequel.

I prefer playing the SMS versions because 1) they have a bigger screen resolution so you can actually see poo poo, 2) I prefer playing games on my TV and 3) I got rid of my Game Gear years ago. I have Sonic 1, 2 and Chaos for SMS - what's neat is even though they're PAL, they work fine on my American Model 1 Genesis + Power Base. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of Sega PAL releases are totally unchanged, such as Sonic 1 for European Mega Drive - so as a result, the game runs much slower in Europe, because it was never modified to run at 50 Hz.

I really wish Tails Adventure and Triple Trouble got proper Master System releases. Like I said, there's romhacks to make them playable on a SMS, but they're buggy. Namely because they were designed for a smaller screen and stuff disappears \ gets jumbled at the edges of the screen. The other problem is Tails Adventure uses the start button a lot, and that requires you to be right in front on the TV so you can press it on your console. Plus I'll probably wiggle my everdrive and lock it up.

Although it seems there's a new patch for Tails Adventures that fixes some glitches up a bit:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/16207-TailsAdventureSMSDeluxeUpdateV15

I'm gonna try this out later, but I'd probably be down for a repro cart of Tails Adventure now that the SMS rom is fixed. Now someone just needs to fix Triple Trouble because I'd really want a repro of that one.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/882992621039230976

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Sonic Blast looks pretty good compared to Sonic Jam Game.Com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRWfYv4fjrc

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the theme song to Sonic Forces is about how Sonic and your OC are best friends

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hoobastank?

They're still around?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Kelp Plankton posted:

the theme song to Sonic Forces is about how Sonic and your OC are best friends

I didn't need a song to tell me that :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Assuming Sonic Retro has the right of it, Stealth's involvement with SRB2 was limited to attempting to port the original 2D incarnation to C, a task he was fairly soon thereafter unable to further assist SSNTails with. This all happened before the shift to the Doom engine and the end result we all know of today even began development, so I wouldn't say Stealth really worked on that to any capacity.

So basically, what Ventana said while I was typing this up.

It's also worth noting that, much like any other close-knit community of this nature, those involved with Sonic hacking/fan game development generally helped each other with random things all the time because what else were they going to do? Stealth was certainly no exception to this, and in fact when you talk about why Stealth is held in such high regard in the community it's precisely because he has had his fingers in all sorts of different projects involving a bunch of different people. With varying results of course but such is the nature of fan work.

Heck if you took into account every person who contributed something to the current incomplete iteration of Sonic Megamix the developer list would be 20 people long or something like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ahhahahahah

holy poo poo it's so bad

i love it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i liked the docfuture version better

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Augus posted:

i liked the docfuture version better

theyre pretty close to identical

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

turnip kid posted:

Sonic Blast looks pretty good compared to Sonic Jam Game.Com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRWfYv4fjrc

Does it really run like that?:lol:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Should've been this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DoctorWhat posted:

ahhahahahah

holy poo poo it's so bad

i love it

:agreed:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DoctorWhat posted:

theyre pretty close to identical

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/883021310758146049

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does it really run like that?:lol:

Yes, yes it does. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I never made a furry OC before so in Sonic Forces, I'm probably just going to try and recreate Antoine or Princess Sally. I dunno if that's less lame or even lamer.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm doing Bubsy or Nack, as we originally projected.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You better believe the first thing I'm gonna do is try to make Bubsy. It's only fitting.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I never made a furry OC before so in Sonic Forces, I'm probably just going to try and recreate Antoine or Princess Sally. I dunno if that's less lame or even lamer.

thats extra lame

embrace your inner fursona and let it meet sonic, your new BFF

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I will make Punchy Sonichu.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Like I told the wonderful person who gifted me Sonic Mania my OC is Bird the Dog who is actually a Wolf and is super edgy because he resents his parents naming conventions

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My OC, Christian Humber, has no weakness.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic 2006: The first Iblis fight with Sonic and Shadow is the worst thing ever.

This is completely accurate. But it also makes the Sonic Speedrun of said boss when he has all his upgrades worth a quick watch, as it could trick you into thinking the boss fight is actually fun. Helpful if you are one of the 0.04% of people who played the games bothered with Sonic gems in post game replays!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

don't, that is way past uncool, and you don't wanna disappoint sonic by being way past uncool, right? embrace it, go three tiers down to your happy place and become the original character do not steal in your heart

believe in yo'self
yo'self

yo'self

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Have they announced a full list of levels for Mania?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Have they announced a full list of levels for Mania?
They announced they probably won't announce all the levels. They said they want people to be surprised.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Don't worry someone will get the game early and spoiler the whole game a week or two before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope other people's OCs are used to populate the rebel headquarters or something, I want to see everyone's abominations.