Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’ve seen people say that’s a known issue with upsampling 4:2:0 content (which is what the UHD blu ray is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Samsung is not having a good year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s
tl;dw: RTings measured the Q7F around 800 nits, Samsung wrote to them and told them it was out of spec and should be able to hit 1000 so they bought a second one and got similar results. At this point Samsung sent people to check out the TVs and Samsung claims they were both damaged during shipping and the guide material they used got misaligned. Hilariously the RTings guys put one of them back in the box and perform some "percussive maintenance" [bang it on the floor a few times] and it measures 10% brighter after but it makes the clouding a little worse.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

qirex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s
tl;dw: RTings measured the Q7F around 800 nits, Samsung wrote to them and told them it was out of spec and should be able to hit 1000 so they bought a second one and got similar results. At this point Samsung sent people to check out the TVs and Samsung claims they were both damaged during shipping and the guide material they used got misaligned. Hilariously the RTings guys put one of them back in the box and perform some "percussive maintenance" [bang it on the floor a few times] and it measures 10% brighter after but it makes the clouding a little worse.

Not a good year at all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why are so many tech youtubers based in canada?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What, Samsung have sketchy quality control?

The is certainly a new development.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

Again I'll point out besides all this (also their home appliances, particularly fridges going to poo poo) THEY ARE EMBROILED IN A SCANDAL THAT GOT THE PRESIDENT OF S. KOREA IMPEACHED

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeeeees, HBO is getting into the UHD game which is also marking the first TV series release on the format with Westworld.

http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/sho...-november/39482

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also not even horrifyingly expensive for an HBO show. I also note GotG 2 has a listing so maybe Disney is getting in the game. They have put out some UHD in other regions but not the US.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bull3964 posted:

Yeeeees, HBO is getting into the UHD game which is also marking the first TV series release on the format with Westworld.

http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/sho...-november/39482

Cool but also yuck on the first show choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Also not even horrifyingly expensive for an HBO show. I also note GotG 2 has a listing so maybe Disney is getting in the game. They have put out some UHD in other regions but not the US.

Yup, GotG2 is the first Disney disc which should be amazing since the movie was actually shot in 8k. Full specs aren't it yet, but it's rumored to include Dolby Vision as well.

I want The Expanse on UHD Blu Ray now. Amazon has it prime streaming in 4k so the master exists.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So when it comes to UHD/HDR/4K whatever content what are the best devices to deliver said content? My mom just got her first 4k capable TV. And she's no slouch at using devices either.

There is a deal for a $49 Roku Premiere+ and that looks kinda neat! There's a Roku Ultra so I dunno what's up with that because they look the same.

Is she gimping herself by using an Xbox One S for UHD blurays? Or is there a similarly priced UHD disc player?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the TV du jour in the 55"-65" / $1000-$1500 range?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

FogHelmut posted:

What's the TV du jour in the 55"-65" / $1000-$1500 range?
LG 8500 55" 4k LED

If I had $1,200, though, I'd probably see if I couldn't scrape up $400 more for OLED

LG C6P 55" 4k OLED

Both have 3D as well

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I tried 2 of those Roku Premiere +, the first kept rebooting and bricked before I could even try it out, the second had what is apparently a very very common audio syncing issue which is apparently hardware/firmware issue they can't resolve. They get horrible reviews for a reason.

I have a Amzn Fire HD and it's fine. I still prefer the grid layout of the Apple TV but whatever, I'll live.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pwn posted:

LG 8500 55" 4k LED

If I had $1,200, though, I'd probably see if I couldn't scrape up $400 more for OLED

LG C6P 55" 4k OLED

Both have 3D as well

Better than the Visios?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

FogHelmut posted:

Better than the Visios?

The LG 8500 probably not think you're picking between blotchy/gray blacks on the LG vs poor viewing angles and not good with reflections on the Vizio for the 2017 LG 8500 and the 2017 Vizio M series . The OLED is up there at "almost best picture quality on the market" but it'll be hard to find it for $1500 since most of the stock has been run through.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Keyser_Soze posted:

I tried 2 of those Roku Premiere +, the first kept rebooting and bricked before I could even try it out, the second had what is apparently a very very common audio syncing issue which is apparently hardware/firmware issue they can't resolve. They get horrible reviews for a reason.

I have a Amzn Fire HD and it's fine. I still prefer the grid layout of the Apple TV but whatever, I'll live.

The Ultra had some growing pains but it loving finally works pretty well. They recently even fixed the A/V sync on DTS in a MKV container issue finally

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, the best handling of streaming UHD content is almost always the internal apps for the TV.

I would put Chromecast Ultra next on the list due to the fact that it can do Dolby Vision with Netflix and Vudu (with certain configs.)

Nvidia Shield is next since it has the same app support as Chromecast + Amazon and it's very configurable in output. Limited to HDR10, but has HDR support for both Netflix and Amazon (has 4k but no HDR support for Vudu.)

Roku is next followed by FireTV. I don't like the fact that your cannot configure aspects of the output with either as both default to the wrong black level output for my setup which means they are a PITA to use for me. Amazon continues to not sell a product that can do HDR.

For discs, just use whatever is cheapest right now if you want something right now as we are in between generations of players. Be advised that Xbone may not be the best choice if your receiver doesn't do HDR since it lacks dual HDMI outputs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of you guys have any experience wit hthe Harmony remotes? I juts bought one, the base one, but I can't figure out how to get it to be set to my TV but modify the sound on my SONOS without having to jump back over to the SONOS in the device list...is that even possible? Any clue? Thanks!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, the best handling of streaming UHD content is almost always the internal apps for the TV.

I would put Chromecast Ultra next on the list due to the fact that it can do Dolby Vision with Netflix and Vudu (with certain configs.)

Nvidia Shield is next since it has the same app support as Chromecast + Amazon and it's very configurable in output. Limited to HDR10, but has HDR support for both Netflix and Amazon (has 4k but no HDR support for Vudu.)

Roku is next followed by FireTV. I don't like the fact that your cannot configure aspects of the output with either as both default to the wrong black level output for my setup which means they are a PITA to use for me. Amazon continues to not sell a product that can do HDR.

For discs, just use whatever is cheapest right now if you want something right now as we are in between generations of players. Be advised that Xbone may not be the best choice if your receiver doesn't do HDR since it lacks dual HDMI outputs.

Thanks. I think I'll just use the LG internal apps.

This was really helpful.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
Any 2016 Vizio M/P owners care to share thoughts about the android tablet remote?

I'm looking at a refurb M55-D0 that is right in the sweet spot for what I need, but I've read enough very negative reviews of the tablet casting interface that I wanted to get some other opinions.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I believe they have or will soon release firmware for the P series that adds on screen menus. Not sure about the M series.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks. I think I'll just use the LG internal apps.

This was really helpful.

Maybe they’re better than the Samsung ones, I tolerated them for a while but they had various problems, like not streaming any better audio than DD+ and various crashes.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience wit hthe Harmony remotes? I juts bought one, the base one, but I can't figure out how to get it to be set to my TV but modify the sound on my SONOS without having to jump back over to the SONOS in the device list...is that even possible? Any clue? Thanks!

Definitely some way to do this, I've recently set one up. Phoneposting but from memory you want to set up an activity, not a device. Like add all your devices and get them working.

Then you'll add an activity or something where you can associate different functionality across devices. You add the devices to the activity and the remote figures out (but you can also customize) the mapping. Like certain buttons map to something like an AppleTV, but the volume and mute buttons map to my AV receiver. Poke around and let me know if this doesn't seem right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Maybe they’re better than the Samsung ones, I tolerated them for a while but they had various problems, like not streaming any better audio than DD+ and various crashes.

DD+ is kind of the limit for streaming right now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Not for Plex though

Doesn’t vudu stream Atmos?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It does, but that's still only DD+.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uwaeve posted:

Definitely some way to do this, I've recently set one up. Phoneposting but from memory you want to set up an activity, not a device. Like add all your devices and get them working.

Then you'll add an activity or something where you can associate different functionality across devices. You add the devices to the activity and the remote figures out (but you can also customize) the mapping. Like certain buttons map to something like an AppleTV, but the volume and mute buttons map to my AV receiver. Poke around and let me know if this doesn't seem right.

This works! Thanks for the help.

My only complaint is it seems compatibility with Apple TV is extremely wonky; like the Home button doesn't work at all :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It does, but that's still only DD+.

Huh I thought it was the same as TrueHD, their formats are very confusing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

uwaeve posted:

This is correct. Device entries are for one device only, activities are what you actually want to be using most of the time in an AV setup.

edit: Derp, that's what I get for leaving a reply window open.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

This works! Thanks for the help.

My only complaint is it seems compatibility with Apple TV is extremely wonky; like the Home button doesn't work at all :(

I can't remember exactly what buttons map for the AppleTV, it might be exit or back is used as home. You can also teach the hub commands to then assign to a button of your choice, I believe. Like the old school point the original remote at the hub and press a button, the hubs receiver will learn the pulse sequence and then you can call it what you want and assign it to what you want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Huh I thought it was the same as TrueHD, their formats are very confusing

Nope, object oriented audio isn't additional channels, it's just additional metadata. It can be layered in lossy codecs just fine.

Additionally, DD+ as you get them from streaming services isn't any better than normal DD. They use the better compression to save bandwidth rather than increase quality.

A DD+ stream decoded by a TV and passed to a receiver has plan old DD has no quality loss over the original DD+ stream. You would lose object oriented audio though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

I agree with this.

Still after 9 months of owning a C6 I'm still teaching myself to go to the TV apps instead of firing up the FireTV. Stupid early generation Smart TV's that were trash.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

havenwaters posted:

This guy is $20 more than what you want to pay but has worked out real nice for me on my Samsung with hdmi arc and HDMI cec. Downside is you probably won't be able to see the LEDs that let you know what the volume is since they're on the top back. If your tv has HDMI cec it displays it on screen.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamyas106bl/yamaha-yas-106-powered-soundbar-w/dual-built-in-subwoofers/1.html

Probably not going to find it new anymore since it got replaced by the Yas 107.

bull3964 posted:

Costco currently has the ATS-1060 which is the same thing for $159.

Thanks for the rec. Unfortunately my TV doesn't seem to support arc :v: Still looks good, though, I'm going to go see if the Costco in town has any in stock.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
No arc/cec isn't the end of the world. just means you'll need to stand up/wall mount it to see what the volume is set at when you turn it up or down. Guess it also means you'll need to plug it in via the optical audio out.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Dr. VonHugenstein posted:

Any 2016 Vizio M/P owners care to share thoughts about the android tablet remote?

I'm looking at a refurb M55-D0 that is right in the sweet spot for what I need, but I've read enough very negative reviews of the tablet casting interface that I wanted to get some other opinions.

I have the 2016 P with the tablet, and have had relatively few issues with it. My only real issue is that I cant put the MLB.tv app on it to stream it from the tablet. It's not the easiest thing in the world to use to change the TV settings with, but you can chat with Vizio's support line and they will send you the XRT135 which has more functionality than the basic remote. Overall I'm fine with it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
From the user reviews I have read it seems like most people who had problems with the tablet remotes were older, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was more of a generational thing.

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

I wasn't a fan of the vizio tablet as a remote so I ended up getting a Harmony remote with the hub and have all of it synced with my Google Home.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Verisimillipede posted:

I wasn't a fan of the vizio tablet as a remote so I ended up getting a Harmony remote with the hub and have all of it synced with my Google Home.

That is essentially what my setup is. Harmony Hub with voice control through an Echo Dot. I like using the tablet for casting as opposed to my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's weird to say, but ever since I got my Google home, I've been using my Harmony hub to use my device remotes more and the actual Harmony remote less.

It's the activity changes that are the huge advantage. Getting everything turned on and to the right input. Beyond that, it's usually just down to one device with volume controlled with HDMI CEC.

This is especially true with LG's built in apps since the magic remote is so much easier to navigate with.