Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sprint paid him to do that like samsung did before and i'm sure since Jay-Z is not dumb he made more $ doing it this way. It's not rocket science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Been hearing people throat Jay-Z for the past week. I hope they brush their teeth. A 47 year old man feels bad for cheating on his wife. The horror.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes that's all the album was about

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

HEY TEMPLE
DROP TO YOUR KNEES AND BLOW THE GOD MC JAY HOVA

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

You prick!!!!!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlDKySa8GE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
tbh the only reason i wouldn't suck jay-z's dick is that i would probably be murdered by beyonce and/or 50,000 beyonce fans

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Fantastic

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

tbh the only reason i wouldn't suck jay-z's dick is that i would probably be murdered by beyonce and/or 50,000 beyonce fans

I'll suicide suck. I'm not afraid

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: Well that didn't take long. What, he just wanted it to go platinum (by selling a poo poo ton of copies to Sprint) first?
Not sure why you're shocked it was only supposed to be a Tidal/Sprint exclusive for a week. It's only on Apple and Amazon though because Spotify hoes artists when it comes to payouts.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What else (other than issa) is coming out today? I know something is but I forget what.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Oh Bobby raps

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
4 tracks into Issa Album and I'm loving with it. I can't believe it's all 21 and no features. On that Future tip. Only issue I can see is if it might become repetitive or samey. But I'm a happy camper!

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Oh Bobby raps

This is important. Everyone check out MARK by Bobby Raps!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ISSA is amazing. That mixing :discourse:

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

ISSA is amazing. That mixing :discourse:

21 is a really interesting voice in rap and I'm enjoying the record a lot but need to listen to it more to fully work it out

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

temple posted:

Been hearing people throat Jay-Z for the past week. I hope they brush their teeth. A 47 year old man feels bad for cheating on his wife. The horror.

it turned out to be a good album, sorry you're mad people like it

gonna leave my comfort zone and give Issa a try today on the commute

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Boywhiz88 posted:

This is important. Everyone check out MARK by Bobby Raps!

Heck yeah thanks for this

- Also going to a show on Sunday, but I've only heard of 3 of these artists, anyone know the others? 2Chainz, Cakes Da Killa, Electric Punanny (Jasmine Solano + Melo X), Jillionaire, Kali Uchis, Lizzo, Vince Staples

bows1 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MARK is pretty darn good. Winning is flamesss

oh man so is black ice

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 7, 2017

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

MARK is pretty darn good. Winning is flamesss

Yeah I dig it, the production is A+ as well. But if you didnt like his two singles, you arent going to dig this album

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

21 savage is pure garbage but drat this album is produced well.

edit-MARK is sounding really nice though.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 7, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Ah I dunno, I think he puts in a much better performance on this album compared to Savage Mode

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I will give issa an unbiased listen later, bless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_IbIMUbh-k

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I admit the positive reaction to 4:44 really surprises me. Beats are fantastic but 90% of the flow is only slightly less lazy than most of his features since WTT.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Yeah I listened to the first three tracks of ISSA and turned it off. Really dont like his work

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Escobarbarian posted:

I admit the positive reaction to 4:44 really surprises me. Beats are fantastic but 90% of the flow is only slightly less lazy than most of his features since WTT.

I don't mind the flow poo poo he's almost 50 they can't all sound like gfk. But it's more the content for me personally it's a smart album

Excited to hear issa tonight on my home stereo. Car won't do it justice im sure. Was surprised how much i liked savage mode a year ago

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

hot take: i like atrocity a lot but theres nothing like a danny track i can nod and find a groove to

It was my AOTY and I don't disagree, but I think it was sorta intentional in the sense that he didn't have any interest in making those types of songs, it was more about expressing himself in a really raw way, and I think he succeeded.

temple posted:

This is dumb because before the album dropped people were making GBS threads on him for constantly talking about his success as a businessman. Guy talks about something personal, he gets poo poo on for that. I feel like people should just admit there's no way they're gonna enjoy a Jay-Z album these days if that's how they feel, rather than acting like it's purely about lyrical content.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

content is fine, the dude just can't loving rap unless he's clumsily jacking better rappers

temple
Jul 29, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was my AOTY and I don't disagree, but I think it was sorta intentional in the sense that he didn't have any interest in making those types of songs, it was more about expressing himself in a really raw way, and I think he succeeded.

This is dumb because before the album dropped people were making GBS threads on him for constantly talking about his success as a businessman. Guy talks about something personal, he gets poo poo on for that. I feel like people should just admit there's no way they're gonna enjoy a Jay-Z album these days if that's how they feel, rather than acting like it's purely about lyrical content.
He gets poo poo on for talking about poo poo everyone knows like its zen wisdom.

"Jay Z said drink more water"
"Did Jay-Z just reinvent the human metabolism?"
"How many rappers AT HIS LEVEL encourage drinking water?"
"I hope my kids hear this and realize what I've tried to teach them"
"He's feeding the younger generation on this album"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Aw man hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzSUo8iPp4M

You're not looking any better fam

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it doesn't require any cognitive dissonance to respect jay's track record and also not give a flying gently caress about music he's putting out in 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

What if Santa Claus wasn't real?
-Jay Z "Eternal Questions"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Outside of the lazy-rear end flow, the issue to me is it doesn't come off as genuine. Like he's doing a "personal" album because he can't keep up with current poo poo making hits and because his wife's been way outshining him. Nothing he says is all that particularly revealing or deep or whatever. It was time for another corporate-sponsored album from Jay-Z(c) so he had to put one out. It's just a real empty, unnecessary album.

And I think it's almost entirely the reverse of what you say-it's not people hating on Jay-Z to just hate, it's some folks who gently caress with him regardless who are liking the album. Not that anything's wrong with that since he's been around forever and has obviously put in work building a fanbase but to act like his album's actually objectively more then "meh" takes already being invested somehow in Jay-Z.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

alansmithee posted:

edit-MARK is sounding really nice though.

I like 21 and indeed this album has extremely good production, but 21 is terrible on these first 3 tracks.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Twista just dropped his 10th album, Crook County. Noisey's got a write-up and a link to his soundcloud where it's available to stream.

https://soundcloud.com/gmgent/sets/crook-country

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/9kwk9a/twista-is-the-mayor-of-chicago-rap-and-the-commissioner-of-crook-county

quote:

Twista Is the Mayor of Chicago Rap and the Commissioner of Crook County

"By me doing what I've done, I get a permanent VIP pass to be a fan of all of the young guys," Twista told me enthusiastically over the phone yesterday afternoon. He was discussing his newest project, Crook County, which is not only packed with collaborations with Chicago up-and-comers but inspired by those younger artists and their vitality. These days, Twista is something like the cool uncle of the city's rap scene, the guy who's done it all and can still hold his own with the young guns. He continued, "Now I'm just proud of the city and proud of what we've produced and sitting back watching in amazement and being fans of their music." (...)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I thank the good lord above every day for making me a Jay-Z stan.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

"It took me having a baby queen, to see that, women have feelings like other human beings"
Jay-Z "The Evolution" 2017 (Tidal Exclusive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder what the state of Tidal would be today if Kanye didn't release Pablo as a Tidal exclusive.

poo poo would be donezo more than likely. Or irrelevant like Diddy's Revolt.