Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
:siren:Attn Doom Goon:siren:

I was just going through the old game jam thread and _only now_ noticed your feedback on Sneaking Mission. Absolutely made my day. I can't PM you or reply to the archived thread SO NOW THE WORLD HAS TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE A SWEETIE PIE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hammer Bro. posted:

I should really scope myself like I'm doing a one week jam. Which really means scoping myself like I'm doing a weekend jam with some time to polish.

I'm pretty much doing this. This weekend has unexpectedly been eaten up completely (I literally have zero time that isn't committed), so I'm already a little stressed about the time remaining. It's my first game anyway, so I'm just going to come up with a neat little fun mechanic that I can implement in a relatively short period of time, then spend the rest of the time on polish.

It might not be as big as games more experienced goons will do, but I'll be ecstatic if I can just finish something fairly simple and, hopefully, fun.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Team Cta Hta is looking for a 2d artist to save us from programmer art. We are using Unity and prefer to work with spritesheets instead of bone based animation.

PM here or in the Awful Jams discord.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Humble Bundle store has Aseprite on sale for $11.99.

For anyone who wants a good pixel-art/sprite editing tool, it's a pretty good one.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/aseprite

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
It's July 7th already where's the new thread :D

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Countdown to "artin' up a storm" jokes...

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'm in with a non-goon friend as Team Quick Done Games

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 7, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

but what is the THEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMEEEE

Raujinn
Jan 8, 2007

Sure let's make a thing over the next 3 weeks why not. I'm game to do a solo effort unless anyone's in desperate need of someone to do some C# in Unity or some artwork.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, just less than six hours until the theme.
You're much too nice! Thank you for the game, really excited to see this year!

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Lowen SoDium posted:

Humble Bundle store has Aseprite on sale for $11.99.

For anyone who wants a good pixel-art/sprite editing tool, it's a pretty good one.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/aseprite

You're an absolute hero.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

It's July 7th already where's the new thread :D

Why would we make a new thread?

Theme will be announced 2 hours from this post.

After the announcement you can join us in Discord and on our Sync-Tube to watch some inspiring videos (https://cytu.be/r/sagamedev).

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Doom Goon posted:

Wow, just less than six hours until the theme.

You're much too nice! Thank you for the game, really excited to see this year!

This year I'll be doin' some art (and maybe a little programming) with Tann!

Together, we are...

Get it? Because Tann. And we're gents. Get it?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Your Summer Awful Jam 2017 theme is BOOTLEGS

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

:regd08:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Going to recommend nobody call any copyrighted characters out by name in their submissions.

Definitely do not name your game after a trademarked franchise or character.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

JonTerp posted:

Going to recommend nobody call any copyrighted characters out by name in their submissions.

The interpretation of 'bootleg' is open, though, right? So it can be either bootleg ripoffs of games/movies/etc, OR bootleg like a game about the prohibition era where people illegally made Muslims in their bathtubs and such?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Jo posted:

The interpretation of 'bootleg' is open, though, right? So it can be either bootleg ripoffs of games/movies/etc, OR bootleg like a game about the prohibition era where people illegally made Muslims in their bathtubs and such?

It's entirely open to your interpretation, yes.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
I've been doing the unity tutorials this last month so Im going to try and make something really basic with that. I've all ways wanted to do one of these jams.

Probably end up on the wall on shame but I've gotta give it a go.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

JonTerp posted:

Does this mean a game called "Super Merlio Brothers" is also off limits / not in the spirit of things?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Given Nintendo's recent habit of DMCA-ing fan games, I'd avoid poking any Nintendo properties should you decide to take the theme that literally. But that's just my opinion.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

CJacobs posted:

Given Nintendo's recent habit of DMCA-ing fan games, I'd avoid poking any Nintendo properties should you decide to take the theme that literally. But that's just my opinion.

They can't stop parody. It's legally protected.

That's not just my opinion, but I am not a lawyer and do not provide legal advice.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Dankey Kang is original content, developed by Wintendo.

Gonna have to think about the theme a bit at work today.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

leper khan posted:

They can't stop parody. It's legally protected.

That's not just my opinion, but I am not a lawyer and do not provide legal advice.

Parody is a legal defense, not a right.

While the odds of it happening are slim, if a rights holder sends us a DMCA we cannot challenge it and will fulfill the request.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

blaise rascal posted:

Does this mean a game called "Super Merlio Brothers" is also off limits / not in the spirit of things?
That should be fine, just don't use any names / characters / designs verbatim. Think less "Mario 4" more "Giana Sisters" :v: be creative.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
back in the market for finding a group; if I dont find a partner or two soon I guess I'll just have to figure out something on my own :shepface:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Can't wait for those sweet Chinese Lou-ny Balloon-y ripoffs :getin:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The Legendary Zorldo: Lunk's Rising

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 7, 2017

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Doom Goon posted:

Can't wait for those sweet Chinese Lou-ny Balloon-y ripoffs :getin:

:lol: Here you go. :lol:

It was a gift :3:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

gently caress the nintendo police

i'm making an arms knockoff ASAP

edit: i got my top artist on the job:

original concept do not steal

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 8, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, see you next year everybody, there is no defeating that pun.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
My team has been brainstorming. We are definitely doing a first person platformer. Our current theme we are considering is, well:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

holy moley i am looking forward to this

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
Managed to find a new gig after all, so I probably won't do anything this year. A shame, because this is right up my alley.

If I decide to do something, expect it to sneak in at the last minute like a ninja.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
This started with me just loving around while we brain stormed and it made me laugh enough that I decided to keep going.

I have some regrets.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
If I were to enter this:

Tube fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day One Progress Report:

• lay on the floor
  • tried not to overscope
  • overscoped a lot

:supaburn:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day one report: forgot I bought pro builder forever ago, so that's cool

Camera logic mostly good for a prototype
Same with core on the ground character controller

Tomorrow is LEGS day

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Day one:
Settled on concept
Talked to artist
Get Ready!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm not sure if I'll participate but if I do I kinda want to do a NES game. This is what I have so far

... yeah.

• Locked thread