Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

"Remember Imp, this is a sneaking mission. Try not to get caught!"
sorry, couldn't resist

Anyway, stealth games have to be among my favourite game genres, and I for one am always interested in hearing about more stealthy games that I haven't played before. (Or talking about ones I have played, especially as there are normally multiple ways around various obstacles ingame - so each player often comes up with their own solution)

Recently I've been playing Dishonored 2 without powers and without being spotted, which has been very interesting - certainly a solid improvement over the original, I feel. (I've also been playing Hitman (2016) recently, which I'd say is probably slightly better, overall. Both are great games, though)
Needless to say, my all-time favourite stealth games are No One Lives Forever 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Metal Gear Solid 3. That being said, I also like playing other shooters, etc. as stealthily as possible - even if it's not intended, I'll normally try to slink around FPS' picking off enemies without starting firefights. I might be alone in that, though :D

So yeah, thus ends my mini-wall of text. If any of you also like stealth games, I'd love to hear from you! I'm always interested in finding out about new stealth games with cool mechanics, and the like.

----- Seventh Arrow's Reviews -----
Since Seventh Arrow is our resident expert on creating stealth game write-ups with save-scummed levels of precision, here they are:

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, India, Russia
Shadwen
Clandestine
Serial Cleaner
Volume
Seven: The Days Long Gone
Crookz: The Big Heist
Ghost of a Tale
Velvet Assassin
Party Hard
Thief Simulator
The Slater
Aragami 2
Winter Ember
Shadow Tactics: Aiko's Choice
Undetected
Sneak Thief (don't buy)
Sniper Elite 3
Sniper Elite 4
A Plague Tale: Innocence
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Sniper Elite 5
Hitman 3
Desperados III
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Mark of the Ninja: Remastered
Neon Struct
Calvino Noir
Gunpoint
Gone Rogue
Intravenous
Wildfire
Dishonored
Dishonored 2
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
Aragami
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Invisible War (IT KEEPS CRASHING)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
No Sun To Worship
Filcher
Serial Cleaners
Styx: Master of Shadows
Styx: Shards of Darkness
Thief: The Dark Project
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Thief: The Black Parade
Thief (2014)
Aveliana
The Chameleon

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I found Dishonored 2 to have really annoying stealth mechanics, the guards are dumb as hell, but the regular NPCs had eyes like hawks and you could never tell if they were watching you until after you choked someone out and ruined it.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460950/Katana_ZERO/

I saw a friend of the developer play this and lemme tell ya this game will be epic as hell. The stealth looks a bit like Hotline Miami I think so if you enjoyed that you'll probably like this one.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
I never played a splinter cell game. Which would be a good one to start? I hear they are kind of hit or miss.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Drink posted:

I never played a splinter cell game. Which would be a good one to start? I hear they are kind of hit or miss.

chaos theory is regarded by many as the best one, there are PC ports of the splinter cell games but the older ports are completely broken and the newer games aren't that great

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

I found Dishonored 2 to have really annoying stealth mechanics, the guards are dumb as hell, but the regular NPCs had eyes like hawks and you could never tell if they were watching you until after you choked someone out and ruined it.

Huh, I didn't notice that too much - what difficulty were you playing on? I'm playing on hard, and although the civilians definitely spot you carrying a dead body from a mile away, the guards didn't seem to be too bad/stupid. (Certainly no worse than MGS guards, at least! :D )
Fair call on the mechanics part, though. I mean, I have gotten used to and like them, but other friends of mine never did and don't like them, either. I think it's very much a 'love it or hate it' kind of game, compared to others in the genre.

Liquid Drink posted:

extremebuff posted:

chaos theory is regarded by many as the best one, there are PC ports of the splinter cell games but the older ports are completely broken and the newer games aren't that great

Yeah, if you don't mind slightly clunky controls from the 2000s, then Chaos Theory is best. Otherwise, I recommend Blacklist - I didn't think I'd like it prior to buying it on sale and playing it, but I found that it was really enjoyable. Certainly a bit more 'actiony' than Chaos Theory (so take that as you will, depending on what kind of stealth game you're after), but I liked it quite a lot, all the same.
Otherwise, I agree completely with extremebuff. The older games don't run so well on PC (although if you still have a PS2 floating around, Pandora Tomorrow is still good), and Double Agent + Conviction aren't really worth playing. I can only recommend playing Conviction if you get it cheap, and you play it for the 100% actiony stealth coop campaign. (Chaos Theory has a coop campaign as well though, however it's naturally a lot less forgiving)

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or does anyone else tend to put knocked-out civilians in more comfortable positions, like on a couch, or bed, or at least propped up against a wall? (While guards can just be dumped behind some crates or in a dumpster, or just anywhere out of sight)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 7, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Black list is really good except for one of the worst first person sections imaginable. And you'll have to use uplay

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a game on steam with a terrible title called Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun that has a free demo and also it's incredible.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, if you don't mind slightly clunky controls from the 2000s, then Chaos Theory is best.

at first i thought it was dumb but when it clicked, i thought having your movement speed be controlled by the mousewheel was actually really cool

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh and the soundtrack had some really really good tracks too. shame you wont hear some of their most punchy variations if you're playing good

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I enjoyed being a stealthy martial artist in Alpha Protocol.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Hitman ftmfw

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

oh and the soundtrack had some really really good tracks too. shame you wont hear some of their most punchy variations if you're playing good

i forgot ct had sick music. i wish theyd make a spies vs mercs standalone game

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Now that I think about it I'm surprised there haven't been any developers, big or small, making a spies vs mercs style shooter.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think all the Splinter Cells are worth playing (even Conviction if you get it for cheap), it's one of my favorite series. Don't play Double Agent unless you have a PS2 or original Xbox laying around that you can buy it for, though, the version of the game for those consoles is really good (it's basically Chaos Theory 2) but the 360/PS3/PC version is an entirely different and pretty bad game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Blacklist is great because you can kill half the people you see and pretend you're in a spy movie. All the other really good stealth games discourage killing people but Blacklist gives you a ranking for it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ScrubLeague posted:

There's a game on steam with a terrible title called Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun that has a free demo and also it's incredible.

Yea ST owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X0tDvCpxmY

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Blacklist is great because you can kill half the people you see and pretend you're in a spy movie. All the other really good stealth games discourage killing people but Blacklist gives you a ranking for it

i heard mixed things, but i should give it an honest shot soon. next stream game? hmm

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's pretty mediocre if you try playing pure stealth like you can in chaos theory, and that turned a lot of people off the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

It's pretty mediocre if you try playing pure stealth like you can in chaos theory, and that turned a lot of people off the game

i dont think ill mind too much as long as the action scenes aren't terribly dull like they were in conviction lol.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Conviction is fun if you play it like modern a Tenchu steatlh game: cleaning up rooms of people as discreetly and quickly as possible. It has a forced combat section that's badly signposted but if ignore its ties to SC it's fun, especially if you do the coop blind with a rando.

ArfJason posted:

at first i thought it was dumb but when it clicked, i thought having your movement speed be controlled by the mousewheel was actually really cool

I liked the mousewheel-running speed controls and how the hud does a great job giving you environmental information like your visibility and how loud you are versus the ambient soundscape.

The bathhouse level isn't good, but it's possible to pass that section and get no alert + no kills.

HITMAN has been a blast for me so far.I'm still in Sapienza and love how the levels have been laid out differently so far. Paris is more vertical-oriented and Sapienza has a lot of unused open space in the main mission, but Landslide takes advantage of the town when World of Tomorrow was more about the villa.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Invisible Inc is pretty good, as far as I know it's the only isometric turn-based stealth game out there, so it has some novelty

also Mark of the Ninja which I mention because it was made by the same developer

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
mark of the ninja is ridiculously good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
having a stealth game be 2d so you can concretely see where you are heard, leaving absolutely no ambiguity, was a really good idea

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Asassins creed is probably the most solid stealth franchise

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the crux of a good stealth game is being so powerful in combat you can take on 30 guards surrounding you with ease

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New Hitman & MGS3 are probably the greatest. Tenchu 1 and 2 are worth playing again if you can put up with the graphics.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

the crux of a good stealth game is being so powerful in combat you can take on 30 guards surrounding you with ease
Remember Snake, this is a sneaking mission, unless you don't feel like it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MGS games are cool because loving up the stealth isn't usually a game over. I hate it when games got terrible stealth sections that just game over you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I also like playing other shooters, etc. as stealthily as possible - even if it's not intended, I'll normally be able to slink around an FPS without starting a huge firefight. I might be alone in that, though :D

I tried doing this in Battlefield Bad Company, skirting around enemies and sniping dudes but turns out they made the game so it's either impossible or pointless in most levels because there's literally not enough space to go around (which is, you know, what an actual soldier would do in most scenarios in the game) and more enemies spawn when you get closer to stuff so sniping isn't really worth the effort. But when it worked it was good.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
Ok

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i don't think there'll ever be a game as good as mgs3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked that mgs3 didn't have a magical radar that showed every enemy and line of sight, instead they give you a motion detector that detects the dozens of critters and birds all over the place and it was worthless so you had to rely on your sight and intuition.

mgs3 ends up being a little easy though, the better controls and camera let you escape nasty situations even on extreme mode. MGS2 extreme was legit nearly impossible and I wanted that challenge in 3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

then again, the difficulty and your amount of control had a lot to do with the level design. in MGS2 you went from small corridor to small corridor, and an army would swarm in from all exits if you got caught so you were completely hosed 99% of the time. MGS3 had wide open areas with tons of places to hide and escape routes, and you could literally turn invisible

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I agree - being detected in MGS2 was always a lot more difficult to handle than in MGS3, simply due to the fact that you're confined to an oil rig instead of being out in the jungle, as you said. (And heaven forbid you being seen by a drone while on a walkway! Then enemies will spew out onto the walkway from both ends, and you'd have no hope)
I like MGS2 a lot, but yeah I dunno, I just love the MGS3 setting and camouflage options - since normally in games (especially out at the same time as MGS3) camo didn't matter; if the AI could see any part of you, that's it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried doing this in Battlefield Bad Company, skirting around enemies and sniping dudes but turns out they made the game so it's either impossible or pointless in most levels because there's literally not enough space to go around (which is, you know, what an actual soldier would do in most scenarios in the game) and more enemies spawn when you get closer to stuff so sniping isn't really worth the effort. But when it worked it was good.

Ah, yeah I remember doing that as well, actually! The restrictive maps (compared to say, BF1942) was a bit annoying at times, but yeah when you pulled it off it felt great. Besides, if you don't pull it off and get into a huge gunfight while you try pulling out, it does make sense thematically too, since y'know, your company is meant to be the shittest one in the US Army, after all! :D

extremely steampunk posted:

Invisible Inc is pretty good, as far as I know it's the only isometric turn-based stealth game out there, so it has some novelty

also Mark of the Ninja which I mention because it was made by the same developer

Ah, I've actually got MotN from last sale, now that I think about it...I haven't actually played it yet, though. :shobon: I've just finished Dishonored 2 though, so I might need to start that up next, and give it a whirl.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im still happy playing thief: the dark project op

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

trying to jack off posted:

im still happy playing thief: the dark project op

Thief is so good

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mark of the Ninja is great. I always want to go back and play it on the harder NG+ difficulty but it does a really weird thing where all the screen apart from your vision cone is dark and shadowy and it gives me a headache