Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well Apocrypha seems pretty Fatey so far. Cool action and explosions, super in-depth explanation of stuff, interesting character design, neat interpretations of historical peeps, couple of saberfaces. Why I like the setting basically.

Also I am very slowly going through Grand Order but I haven't even done the first chapter yet. Lucked into a Jeanne at least and it seems pretty interesting.

And a bit of Extella but I'm gonna wait for the Switch version and start again if the port is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

shouldn't waver be in a completely different position in magi society considering the fourth holy grail war never happend in the apocrphya timeline

edit: would he even have been born considering thats like several decades of butterfly effects

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 6, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Stairmaster posted:

shouldn't waver be in a completely different position in magi society considering the fourth holy grail war never happend in the apocrphya timeline

Waver had instead participated in a subspecies Holy Grail War across the world with Rider as his Servant, in against Kayneth. He gained the title of Lord El-Melloi II in the same manner.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fate/Extra Road Trip Trip Report: I went with female MC and Archer after many minutes of agonizing indecision before realizing that what is Fate if not a waifu/husbando bias-based franchise. Game is good. Fighting system is weird but I've gotten used to it and hitting an Extra is pretty satisfying. Characters are...alright? The previous Masters didn't leave a lot of impression on me but the Servants have all been top notch. Rin is extremely Rin, if a little bit rougher around the edges because of the whole freedom fighter thing. Archer is extremely Archer if slightly nicer presumably because he doesn't have a Shirou to gently caress with.

I got stuck for an embarrassing long time on Vlad after coasting through every previous boss fight. Is he that hard for others or is it just me?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Archer is extremely Archer if slightly nicer presumably because he doesn't have a Shirou to gently caress with.

That's basically his whole shtick in the EXTRA series. Without a Shirou around, he's just a nameless Heroic Spirit who does what he does best, bail people out of trouble with a smirk. He's much more casual when his alter ego isn't around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Fate/Extra Road Trip Trip Report: I went with female MC and Archer after many minutes of agonizing indecision before realizing that what is Fate if not a waifu/husbando bias-based franchise. Game is good. Fighting system is weird but I've gotten used to it and hitting an Extra is pretty satisfying. Characters are...alright? The previous Masters didn't leave a lot of impression on me but the Servants have all been top notch. Rin is extremely Rin, if a little bit rougher around the edges because of the whole freedom fighter thing. Archer is extremely Archer if slightly nicer presumably because he doesn't have a Shirou to gently caress with.

I got stuck for an embarrassing long time on Vlad after coasting through every previous boss fight. Is he that hard for others or is it just me?
nah, the difficulty spike in the later weeks is real. assassin is a huge pain too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sylphid posted:

That's basically his whole shtick in the EXTRA series. Without a Shirou around, he's just a nameless Heroic Spirit who does what he does best, bail people out of trouble with a smirk. He's much more casual when his alter ego isn't around.

I really did feel that him just casually handing over Rin to Shinji in UBW really needed to be dealt with more by the story, especially if it wanted to keep him sympathetic. Like, he was so desperate to murder his past self that he kidnapped his past self's girlfriend (as in, very likely someone he himself once had feelings for) and left her tied to a chair in a room with the biggest creeper in Fuyuki not named Gilgamesh. That's kind of a big deal.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I could have swore at one point the backstory for EMIYA was that he was the result of an 'Illya route bad end' but according to the fan wiki nah he was just from a slightly weirder Fate route. The former would have been a way better origin for him though and would probably account for the godlike self-loathing needed for that kind of thing.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 7, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Man, i went to the wiki and ended up reading more lores instead. Nasuverse is so goood.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I miss when it was bouncing back and forth between various universes that only had tangential connections, so those cameos and connections would seem special and neat. Things like Touko building Shirou's body in FSN, and of course Aoko in Tsukihime. Going all in on Fate for the past 10 years (and in a way that has never matched the quality of the story beats and character arcs in the original VN) has been a bit disappointing.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I miss when it was bouncing back and forth between various universes that only had tangential connections, so those cameos and connections would seem special and neat. Things like Touko building Shirou's body in FSN, and of course Aoko in Tsukihime. Going all in on Fate for the past 10 years (and in a way that has never matched the quality of the story beats and character arcs in the original VN) has been a bit disappointing.

I feel the same way. They kinda sat on one cash cow as soon as they found it, and it's only getting worse with FGO.

I also kind of hate the direction they've started to take where every property is supposed to be in a different parallel world. So Stay Night is supposed to be in a different world from Extra, which is a different world from FGO, which is a different world from Prisma, which is a different world from Apocrypha, etc.

Like, I get that parallel worlds are canon with Zelretch and all, but it seems like lazy writing doing that instead of fitting everything into one shared universe that can more directly reference itself. It seems like they're only doing it so they can ignore the technobabble they've written before and write new contradictory stuff. It doesn't really make it that much more accessible for new fans, and it would be more interesting to older fans to have more open references instead of everything being an all new elseworld.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

This is why I don't like parallel world theory being use in any settings. The author can BS anything or create out of character version of existing character.

Not to confuse with Other World of the same universe.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The ultimate consequence of everything being cross-referenced in the same universe is lovely Marvel/DC canon nonsense, so I'm happy Nasu went in this direction instead (and I'm aware he's made the comparison before). It's actually significantly more accessible to new fans when you don't have to reference 5 other previous relevant works to understand something, and keep references only as a bonus thing for people that recognize it as opposed to something integral. That's a hallmark of good writing to me, not lazy world-building which is a tenuous concept anyways.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But you didn't really need to be immediately aware of say KnK in FSN or Tsukihime. The connections are not major but what is there feels neat and organically integrated into the universe at large.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd prefer that T-M explored entirely new properties/franchises/sets of characters in that universe, or at least were willing to go back to say Tsukihime.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The only parallel dimension that should be allowed in fiction is a single other world where everyone is evil and has a goatee. :colbert:

My enjoyment of overall TM is less of references or connections but the sheer depth of the thing. You can stay at the shallow end of the stuff where everything is pretty simple but still extremely cool concepts of grail wars using ancient heroes, and vampires vs demons vs the secret catholic church, or you can head right down into ~xXx~Deepest Lore~xXx~ of the Greater Grail System, the Counter Force, the true Magics vs regular magecraft, and the Brunestud lineage/goal.

KnK shed some light on those other mages who are all trying (obsessively, destructively, catastrophically) to reach the Root and as much as I enjoy Fate's focus on the Einzbern's grail I want to see how other mages are doing it, since it's such a huge driving force behind everything in the mythos. Spiral Nemesis gave us a man who had locked an entire compartment complex away from the gaze of Alaya, scrawled magic over every surface, and made them endlessly repeat a single awful day to send humans into a depressive cycle that would open a path to it. More poo poo like that please.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

There are some mention in Witch of the Holy Night. Also, there's one plot in fate/go that is about that. Kinda.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

But you didn't really need to be immediately aware of say KnK in FSN or Tsukihime. The connections are not major but what is there feels neat and organically integrated into the universe at large.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd prefer that T-M explored entirely new properties/franchises/sets of characters in that universe, or at least were willing to go back to say Tsukihime.

We're not really in disagreement as I think how Nasu et al do things now, making connections based more on abstract concepts and cosmology as opposed to random characters making cameos in each others series, is good. But that said, KNK, FSN/spinoffs, Tsukihime, Mahoyo and all the other random stuff in their orbit exist in their own fairly clearly delineated worlds, self-sufficient to the needs of their own story, and I think don't think they would be well-served by detailed interconnected canon building of the kind that some people like.

Of course it's extremely ironic that I should say that given that FGO seems hell bent on crossing all the TM streams, given some of the later revelations I've read about, but I guess we'll get there when we get there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I want a new Fate spin-off where the winner of the Holy Grail War uses their wish to get a new season of Carnival Phantasm.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only Fate spinoff/sequel I think I would get legitimately excited/giddy for would be a follow-up on Shirou/Sakura/Rin/Rider's life and escapades following Return to the Spring.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Apocrypha spinoff in the world where Shirou grew up in a normal family and has a romcom with Rin and Sakura

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The only Fate spinoff/sequel I think I would get legitimately excited/giddy for would be a follow-up on Shirou/Sakura/Rin/Rider's life and escapades following Return to the Spring.

We already discussed the evil universe

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I want ubw sequel. Emiya Shirou and the sorcerer stone.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I want a spinoff about the future parallel universe in F/HA where Shirou and Luvia partner up to investigate a Dead Apostle Ancestor

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

And the transition of Rin from tsudare to housewife waifu.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We all know that Shirou would end up being the one taking care of the house.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Shirou is 100% househusband material.

edit; dont leave your tabs open folks

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanna see the conflict they've mentioned happening 10 years after the Fate or UBW routes where Waver and Tohsaka team to disassemble the greater grail in a conflict that's supposedly "of the same magnitude as the holy grail war".

Also maybe while they're at it they could mention one of the things they cut from the Zero anime that was in the books- Kiritsugu altering the Ley Line to cause an earthquake several decades later and destroy the great grail that way.

I also want them to do a Zero-style prequel of the third war, with the servants that were hinted at in HA, and the chaos of doing the war in the middle of WWII.

Also I kinda want something where Zelretch has more than a cameo appearance.

Also I want a Taiga route.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I want a movie of Zeltretch's battles with the Moon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's oodles of weird throwaway poo poo Nasu could dive into should he so choose. Zelretch, ORT and other dead apostles, Notes, etc.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I on the other hand love stupid multiverse bullshit and am happy T-M have fully embraced it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nate RFB posted:

There's oodles of weird throwaway poo poo Nasu could dive into should he so choose. Zelretch, ORT and other dead apostles, Notes, etc.

I want ORT to show up in something, anything. It's too cool of a design to stay unused.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the nasuverse lore i want expanded on is a game where i get to pat satsuki on the head

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Endorph posted:

the nasuverse lore i want expanded on is a game where i get to pat satsuki on the head
bad end

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Really I just complain about the lack of endgame shirtless boxing matches after FSN

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Satsuki deserved better.:argh:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I want Prototype that isn't just prequel stuff written by Sakurai even though we got Ozy and Serenity from there

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I hope the tsukihime remake gives shiki some kind of identifiable personality

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
He has one, it's being a jerk or bugfuck insane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yeah shiki's a jerk, kind of crazy, makes weird jokes, and puts a lot of stock in 'normalcy' to try and combat those things. he isn't a very outward character but like 60% of tsukihime is him alone in bed with his thoughts, he gets plenty of characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The nasuverse I want to see is the one where nasu remembers Notes exists.