Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Raygereio posted:

:raise: It's the hat right? That's what makes it lore friendly?

At this point the lore of fallout is that everything revolved around the 50's aesthetic and also sex. Like this :nws:Immersive Power Armor HUD:nws:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
"...yet aesthetic". I mean, I guess technically "lovely and unappealing" is an aesthetic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Brainamp posted:

At this point the lore of fallout is that everything revolved around the 50's aesthetic and also sex. Like this :nws:Immersive Power Armor HUD:nws:.

Ah, noted 50's pinup star Christie Mack. Couldn't they at least have gone with Betty Page or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure "lore friendly" is just one of those phrases mod makers put into their description to get more downloads regardless of what they're actually making. Like how video game kickstarters will always say they have "roguelike elements" even when they don't.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Brainamp posted:

Why didn't they just go all the way and make the bullet holes into nipples?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

New syringer ammo: Opponent sprouts breasts at area of impact.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

King Vidiot posted:

That'll probably be in the next update.

Also, why do the images on the right look like there are bars overlaid on the viewscreen? Is that supposed to be for the raider armor?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Lore friendly - :nws: That particular B-25 had a rather prominent bolt head on that panel. :nws:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Backhand posted:

New syringer ammo: Opponent sprouts breasts at area of impact.

Much as I like the idea, it means someone might actually use the syringer for something, and that idea runs so contrary to the way Fallout 4 normally plays it'd make the mod lore-unfriendly.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I can't think of TOO many games that fall deep into that trap though; sci-fi games sometimes have a problem with vehicles and weapons that are just a mess of vertices vomit, and I can think of a few games like Prototype or the (apparently incredible) Prey reboot where some of the creature designs are just visual nonsense.

the most egregious examples I can think of are the late 2000s where Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 happened, visual clusterfucks that read as pure noise in almost every frame, even if you turn off the grody color filtering. Doom 3 at times got pretty bad about it, but it was still simple enough that it's okay to look at and get what each thing is meant to be, even if the whole game is mostly greebles.
I'm sure there's some equally bad offendors, but those are the two ugliest examples I can think of.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh god, ugh, UT3 was the loving worst, yeah. It's been a long time since then and they haven't really learned, either- they know the problem exists, and have tried to fix it but the artists at Epic are just addicted to greebling so they still have to have brightskins and player glow built into the game for the new one that's in progress.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

aniviron posted:

Oh god, ugh, UT3 was the loving worst, yeah. It's been a long time since then and they haven't really learned, either- they know the problem exists, and have tried to fix it but the artists at Epic are just addicted to greebling so they still have to have brightskins and player glow built into the game for the new one that's in progress.

they've gone from one form of greebling (doom 3 times infinity) to now just aping the gently caress out of WETA Workshop because it's the new hot style, nevermind that they don't actually understand what makes WETA's stuff work in the first place. In the end Epic is getting worse because they have no consistent idea of who they are what they're doing, and it's eventually going to bite them in the rear end.

If this didn't have the UT logo on it, would you even know that this was for an Unreal game? Without me telling you, do you know what gun this is supposed to be?

Or this?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 8, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Diabetes Forecast posted:

they've gone from one form of greebling (doom 3 times infinity) to now just aping the gently caress out of WETA Workshop because it's the new hot style, nevermind that they don't actually understand what makes WETA's stuff work in the first place. In the end Epic is getting worse because they have no consistent idea of who they are what they're doing, and it's eventually going to bite them in the rear end.

If this didn't have the UT logo on it, would you even know that this was for an Unreal game? Without me telling you, do you know what gun this is supposed to be?

Or this?

A man-portable anti-air flak cannon?

Seriously, either the camera is distorting the size of it or that thing is loving huge.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Or this?

Looks like a railgun sniper rifle and the flak cannon?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

At a guess, is the first a shock rifle? The design elements are kind of trending that way. It looks like goofy nonsense, admittedly, but it's distinct and consistent visual nonsense, at least. I honestly don't think this looks out of place in newer UT games.

Would the second one be a flak cannon? Big-rear end shield and ridiculous muzzle diameter kind of suggest it.

Don't get me wrong, those are hilariously goofy designs, but having too much excess surface detail doesn't seem to be the primary issue. The second gun is positively spartan by modern standards (which you could argue is a problem in and of itself, admittedly). Sorry for promoting derail, I'll probably just leave it off there.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I thought the first was a shock rifle that had its barrels rotated and the second is obviously the flak cannon. It's not as bad as Quake Champions' weapon designs where you cant tell what the gently caress is supposed to be the lightning gun.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Railgun.

Grenade launcher.

Those would be my guesses, if I didn't know it was from UT.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Gun nerds are the absolute worst. Thank god they at least have the courtesy to be significantly more likely to kill themselves than the rest of the population or there would be even more of them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The answer to those two: The Lightning Gun and they made a new Grenade Launcher because, and I quote: "The rocket launcher grenade altfire is too spammy", so they made a dedicated spammy grenade launcher.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

Gun nerds are the absolute worst. Thank god they at least have the courtesy to be significantly more likely to kill themselves than the rest of the population or there would be even more of them.

Go gently caress yourself, what a massive shithead thing to say.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yardbomb posted:

Why don't you cry to your guns about it, nerd. Preferably one of the really badly textured ones.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
can we not do this here

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yardbomb posted:

Please don't let his words hurt you. You have a lot to live for.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Furia posted:

I'm the stock you could never use because it's a triangle and would dig into your flesh. I'm also the unnecessarily large trigger and redundant iron sights

Actually gently caress it I'm the whole thing

Depending on how you shouldered it, and the amount of recoil its more likely itll ramp off your shoulder at escape velocity and end up in the next dlc

Oh poo poo I'm a gun nerd. I almost missed my 3 o'clock suicide.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 8, 2017

Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The Iron Rose posted:

can we not do this here

If you want we can talk about Arma 3 tank mods instead.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Was expecting to see a NOD Tick Tank. Very disappointed.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

As weird and impractical as that is, it's at least cool to look at and fits alongside some of Arma3's more scifi poo poo. Although the thin flat body does come close to that hilariously bad Dahir Insaat design

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And now you have me wanting a Tiberian Sun mod for Arma. Thanks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm comparing the size of the ammo box to the size of the barrel

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm comparing the size of the ammo box to the size of the barrel

That's probably not an ammo box, to make it even dumber. UT weapons usually just work until they're empty.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

At least here they had the good sense to put the cheesecake somewhere that didn't block off their peripheral vision.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Or this?

I've never played any of the Unreal Tournaments, so I wouldn't be able to tell anyway. The first picture looks like part of the gun barrel is wrapped in plastic.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The world needs more C&C mods, period.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Icedude posted:

And now you have me wanting a Tiberian Sun mod for Arma. Thanks.

You're welcome.

Yardbomb posted:

The world needs more C&C mods, period.

:yeah:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that Overwatch has some of the shittiest weapon designs that I've ever seen. The new character they just revealed has some kind of shotgun mounted on... his knuckles? It just looks like a regular glove but it's shooting things, somehow.

At least the things in Quake Champions and Unreal Tournament look like they are some kind of gun or weapon.

Guy Mann posted:

:thunk:

Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I found Doomfist's ranged inspiration; now I want to see a mod of this in cowboy games.

Edit: Except the HL1 mod Wanted (timecode 48:15 due to mobile not copying timestanps).

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 8, 2017

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Speaking of UT...

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kamXcmTFnkc :nws:

:stare:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

I've never played any of the Unreal Tournaments, so I wouldn't be able to tell anyway. The first picture looks like part of the gun barrel is wrapped in plastic.

Hard surface guys are jealous character artists get to play with Marvelous Designer so adding cloth to your gun or robot is going to become the next big meme.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Internet Friend posted:

Hard surface guys are jealous character artists get to play with Marvelous Designer so adding cloth to your gun or robot is going to become the next big meme.

As far as railguns go the design actually makes some sense, as one of the major issues with current designs is the fact that the rails get so hot that they can only fire a handful of shots before failure. You'd want some pretty serious insulation.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

turn off the TV posted:

As far as railguns go the design actually makes some sense, as one of the major issues with current designs is the fact that the rails get so hot that they can only fire a handful of shots before failure. You'd want some pretty serious insulation.

Wouldn't insulating the rails be the opposite of the solution to this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Wizard posted:

Wouldn't insulating the rails be the opposite of the solution to this problem?

No, the best thing you can do to the hot barrel of your machinegun in real life is covering it in cloth or even better plastic, because then it will melt, burn, and be toxic all at the same time.

And yes, I am totally jealous of Marvelous Designer now. I didn't know I was until you linked me that, but holy poo poo yes.