Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well TVIV, I'm heading off to the land of comics books full time. I'm leaving you guys in the more than capable hands of muscles like this and the always watching but never visible OldSenileGuy. It's been... something for sure. I'll be around posting still but direct all your sticky requests and thread title changes to one of those guys from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bring back old gbs posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha nice. Can't wait for that thread.

I hope we can just dig the old SoA thread out of archives and use it like we did for the final 5ish seasons of SoA. The show so bad it didn't even deserve a new thread each season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chris James 2 posted:

For people with archives: highly recommend the thread for the last SoA season. Still one of my fav threads

Link? I can't seem to find it

X-O posted:

Well TVIV, I'm heading off to the land of comics books full time. I'm leaving you guys in the more than capable hands of muscles like this and the always watching but never visible OldSenileGuy. It's been... something for sure. I'll be around posting still but direct all your sticky requests and thread title changes to one of those guys from now on.

Cheers, don't be a stranger!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

History Channel continues to be completely morally bankrupt with a new series called "American Ripper." They are funding a guy who claims that H H Holmes was actually Jack the Ripper. For some reason they seem to be making a big deal out of the fact that he might not actually be buried in his grave and that this somehow means he was Jack the Ripper. Even though the Ripper killings took place in 1888 and Holmes was executed in 1896

History (I think) had some piece of poo poo not long ago about a supposed Roanoke Island stone etched with a message that was debunked in the 1930s.

The Holmes stuff is particularly bad because the book was trashed when it came out and a) we know where Holmes was during the Jack the Ripper slayings and b) it didn't fit Holmes' MO at all. Holmes was in it for the fraud.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Holmes killed people because he could either make money from it or he's already conned them out of money and needs to get rid of them to clean up loose ends.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Mist is really bad with two really good actors (the mall manager and the lady from Six Feet Under). I guess the wife from Vikings is ok.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I watched all 3 episodes of the Mist available on their app.

I didn't hate but like... I don't remember if I watched all three episodes.

The moth dude was weird enough to probably keep me watching and see what they do with that poo poo. Its far enough away from the story and movie that at least its an unknown.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

STAC Goat posted:

I think I watched all 3 episodes of the Mist available on their app.

I didn't hate but like... I don't remember if I watched all three episodes.

The moth dude was weird enough to probably keep me watching and see what they do with that poo poo. Its far enough away from the story and movie that at least its an unknown.

They need to hurry it up, going 3 more episodes before a payoff like that again is not going to go over well. The drama between the people just isn't that interesting.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Do you work in comic books or are you just modding the Comic subforum?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Grem posted:

They need to hurry it up, going 3 more episodes before a payoff like that again is not going to go over well. The drama between the people just isn't that interesting.

I'm waiting for the reveal that the "gay" kid is actually the rapist.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

X-O posted:

X-O's actor must have pissed off the EPs by asking for too high a pay raise :ohdear:

Quick, someone recast him with a younger actor!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Castlevania is:
a) way better than I expected
b) about 200% Warren Ellis, which I also expected

edit: tone down a) some, I just got to the first fight scene
edit 2: tone down a) entirely because somehow this is cratering episode by episode in a 4-episode show

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 7, 2017

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

History Channel continues to be completely morally bankrupt with a new series called "American Ripper." They are funding a guy who claims that H H Holmes was actually Jack the Ripper. For some reason they seem to be making a big deal out of the fact that he might not actually be buried in his grave and that this somehow means he was Jack the Ripper. Even though the Ripper killings took place in 1888 and Holmes was executed in 1896

Not disagreeing with you, just wondering what you mean by the last sentence. He has to be innocent (of those crimes) because he was executed 8 years later?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Not disagreeing with you, just wondering what you mean by the last sentence. He has to be innocent (of those crimes) because he was executed 8 years later?

I think he means that the special is saying that because hh Holmes is not buried in his grave means he is Jack the Ripper when in has no bearing on it at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That doesn't sound like the History Channel to me. Are you sure it wasn't actually claiming that Jack the Ripper was Hitler using black magic he discovered in a secret book of the Bible written in code by Nostradamus?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished it; this "Castlevania TV series" should be called a "Castlevania TV pilot". It's 4 episodes and basically only starts at the very end. Violence was a bit gratuitous but I enjoyed it enough. Minus points for Trevor not getting knocked off a ledge by flying Medusa heads when he was in the room with the giant gears.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Upon finishing Castlevania: how the gently caress did this crater more and more with each episode? How did they skimp so much on the budget when it is FOUR EPISODES? I thought the order was so small to pay for quality! WHY DOES IT END IN THE MOST COCKTEASING PLACE POSSIBLE AFTER loving NOTHING HAPPENS?

This wasn't even entertainingly bad and has actually made me quite angry that I watched it, gently caress everyone who touched this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Oh man sad to lose you as a mod, thanks a lot for everything over the years!

(guys this means we can continue talking about non-tv things in here without someone coming and shutting it down if we want, woop)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Star Trek more than Doctor Who. Westworld.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Head Baltar was in Purgatory all along! Korrasami 4ever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Help I can't stop watching cutthroat kitchen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Clamknuckle posted:

I'm waiting for the reveal that the "gay" kid is actually the rapist.

Just wanted to chime in that I agree with this, and thought it was meant to be pretty obvious. "LET'S TURN THE TROPE OF GAY BEST FRIEND ALL OVER ITSELF!"

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Pony?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pony!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, Dr. Who is unwatchable trash, even more so than Star Trek Voyager

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna start posting entries from my Westworld theory blog soon.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
WHAT THE EVERLIVING gently caress IS GOING ON IN HERR

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Who wants to talk about Avat- god drat it a mod woke up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

Link? I can't seem to find it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506278&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Page 238 is where we laugh at the final scene

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

A few years ago the podcast forum tricked me into listening to this awful true crime show called Sword & Scale, one of the episodes that finaply made me bail on it was one more or less uncritically featuring a man claiming to be the descendant of HH Holmes who had inherited his diary which conclusively proved that he was actually Jack the Ripper as well. Of course he couldn't actually show anybody this supposed diary due to nebulous legal concerns but he was totally telling the truth and you should buy his upcoming book to get all the sordid details :jerkbag:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when I started watching the History Channel maybe 15 years ago, it was almost all Great Crimes and Trials reruns with some World War II stuff. Then a few years later, it's all stuff about Nazi occultism, Nostradamus's prophecies and Da Vinci Code bullshit.

It's been a long time since I watched it but I think it's mostly Ice Road Truckers now. Pretty bad case of channel drift, if true.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Somewhere I accepted that every niche channel like History or MTV had just established a B channel to serve their real purpose and turned their original into a generic reality show mess. And sometimes they turn the B into that too and establish a C show for that original thing.

I'm vaguely surprised ESPN airs sports.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Awww so sad that it's archived. The best thread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Smithsonian is probably the most informative channel out there right now, it's just a shame it's usually only included in the top cable package.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

END ME SCOOB posted:

Upon finishing Castlevania: how the gently caress did this crater more and more with each episode? How did they skimp so much on the budget when it is FOUR EPISODES? I thought the order was so small to pay for quality! WHY DOES IT END IN THE MOST COCKTEASING PLACE POSSIBLE AFTER loving NOTHING HAPPENS?

This wasn't even entertainingly bad and has actually made me quite angry that I watched it, gently caress everyone who touched this.
Nothing seemed really wrong with the budget stuff. There were a few weak action scenes. But the prologue was enjoyable as a whole.

Argue posted:

Just finished it; this "Castlevania TV series" should be called a "Castlevania TV pilot". It's 4 episodes and basically only starts at the very end. Violence was a bit gratuitous but I enjoyed it enough. Minus points for Trevor not getting knocked off a ledge by flying Medusa heads when he was in the room with the giant gears.

It's pretty much just the prologue of the series. Medusa heads come later.

I enjoyed Castlevaina. Found the final fight pretty great as well. It's already confirmed that more episodes are coming.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 7, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nothing seemed really wrong with the budget stuff.

Dude. Most of episode three was still shots where only a mouth moved in the middle. Something was definitely up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Warren Ellis made Castlevania boring. Impressive, that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Konami did that years ago

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Warren Ellis made Castlevania boring. Impressive, that.

Anything Ellis does outside of comics is almost universally terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Castlevania was pretty good.

• Locked thread