Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if some of the titans, like the Attack Titan and Female Titan are even supposed to have any unique powers. Was the Female Titan's "scream and attract mindless titans" thing a unique ability of hers? Heck, even the armor titan doesn't necessarily seem to have unique powers, since Eren have been learning to harden parts of his body as well.

Didn't Eren only gain the ability to harden after he consumed the vial of armored titan serum in the Fritz hidden chapel? The translation of 95 I read indicated that the Female Titan actually does have some limited power to call titans - though I always thought that it was more just that a titan could scream way louder than a person and that's what attracted the titans to Annie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's nice that the pardis islands are said to be full of demons by marleyans when eren is right there to prove them right, going by his little speech in the ocean

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ATP_Power posted:

The translation of 95 I read indicated that the Female Titan actually does have some limited power to call titans - though I always thought that it was more just that a titan could scream way louder than a person and that's what attracted the titans to Annie.

Same, I thought it was just that titans can recognize the sound of a shifter and that, when Annie screamed, they all came running because it was the equivalent of ringing a dinner bell.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

In It For The Tank posted:

Same, I thought it was just that titans can recognize the sound of a shifter and that, when Annie screamed, they all came running because it was the equivalent of ringing a dinner bell.

Don't worry, some arc soon we'll meet Dr. Vegapunk and he'll explain how it all works.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ATP_Power posted:

Didn't Eren only gain the ability to harden after he consumed the vial of armored titan serum in the Fritz hidden chapel?

Yes, and along with Rod Reiss' assertion that he'd give Historia a titan form that would be suited for combat, seems to indicate that whatever type of mindless titan they were before becoming shifters, and the mix of serum/titans they consume afterwards, affects a shifter's range of abilities - subject to the limits of their primary type.

So for example, the Female Titan is a versatile type that has no inherent abilities (besides perhaps summoning titans), but consuming Armor-type gives it the power to selectively harden body parts, while the Armored Titan is exceptionally good at full-body hardening but displays no other special qualities, and the Mule Titan has exceptional endurance but is unable to even harden.

I'm curious to see whether Eren develops or has developed new abilities as a result of training or megamanning other types, or if what we've seen so far is as good as he gets in his titan form.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm curious as to what the opinion of the Eldian people is outside of Marley. Zeke and co seem pretty convinced that it's unnegotiable genocidal hatred, but how much of that is Marleyan propaganda?

Moreover, I wonder if people from other nations distinguish between the two. For all the Marleyan government portrays its people as superior to the Eldians, I imagine anybody from outside the country would lump them together as "those fuckers that control the titans."

The setting would be cartoonishly on the nose if it wasn't just Marleyan strategy of making Eldians feel indebted to them while getting away with abuse. Like "be grateful, it could be worse if you were with those other guys"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Considering that Eldians are treated as bioweapons, alternating between huge loving man-eating monsters and fanatically loyal shock troops, I can buy Zeke's assertion that they're despised by the entire rest of the world.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Was the Female Titan's "scream and attract mindless titans" thing a unique ability of hers?
Women amirite?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I recently tried to understand warrior/soldier dichotomy as presented and it seems to me that its translation made it a bit unclear. When presented in these words, it seems like the infiltrator trio were some plucky irregulars as opposed to parts of organized military - the manga clearly proved it's not the case. The words used in Japanese original are "senshi" and "heishi". Both are used to present a person who fights in a war, but when the latter means your usual schmuck given a weapon and told to kill enemies, the former is a bit more similar to an elite fighter or a war hero. It's someone brave and courageous who lives to fight and is ready to take insane sacrifices to defeat the enemy. Which makes perfect sense given who Berthold, Reiner and Annie are - they gave up everything, including a possibility to live normal lives, for their country. They are the perfect fascist soldiers. The twist is that Marley secured their loyalty by filling them with self-hate, ensuring they are not able to live normal lives and holding their families hostage.

There is a lot of militaristic and fascist undertones in this show, but they appear mostly to be deconstructed. Someone heroically sacrifices? Watch him crying and screaming for help while getting slowly torn apart. The military government finally overthrows the corrupt monarchy? Their leader loves pointless cruelty. A successful commander is respected for not hesitating before sacrificing his soldier for the good of humanity? Actually, the previous one was also pretty great at throwing his men into a meat grinder, it's just that Erwin actually managed to achieve something with that. Also, the main thing he cares about is proving that his dad's death (which he caused) wasn't for nothing. And he absolutely hates what he has become.

Same thing goes with the warrior culture - Isayama takes great effort to show the reader it's actually poo poo. There is nothing positive and praiseworthy in Reiner's sacrifice. He gave up his childhood, shortened his lifespan, committed terrible atrocities and tried to kill his friends just to impress the father who doesn't want anything to do with him and to be accepted by the country that treats his people like vermin. Now he's ridden with guilt and PTSD, no longer believes in Marley's goodwill and the most curageous act of resistance he can bring himself to is to goad some other kid to become a Warrior instead of his cousin. And he is the only one of the infiltrator quartet that actually believed in his mission, instead of just going with the flow.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The series has actually become a pretty good example of a story without heroes or villains done right. The Marley military is definitely the most despicable force at play but they're not the villain in the sense that taking them out of the equation would give anyone a happy ending because Eldians are inherently a reluctant war asset that can elevate the nation who controls them into superpower status and since nobody actually wants to become a living weapon of mass destruction they can't be bought out and based on what you can deduce they end up inevitably subjugated by force every time, hence why the only option in the eyes of the royalty was to simply go into isolation and escape from the rest of the world. It's an impasse where the enemy is the circumstances and there's no good solution.

Nina fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 7, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, you don't get it.

Attack on Titan is typical Japanese jingoism because

Actually, what I'd like to add is how comprehensive Isayama is in portraying characters as believing they're in the right. Even when they - no, especially when they're doing horrible poo poo, they keep themselves going forward with the conviction that the path they're taking is the correct one or that they truly have no other choice.

And just as Reiner seems to have been left a hollowed shell after losing his heartfelt convictions, Eren lost part of himself after the events with Rod Reiss and then learning the truth about his father. I think it was a very telling moment when Historia asks if he'll kill Reiner and Berthold if he meets them again, and the only response he can give is a distant 'I have to.' Everyone in the cast is left with their burdens to bear after the insurrection and shinganshina arcs, but it's Eren and Reiner that came out of it as truly changed men.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

With the imagery of the latest chapter I refuse to believe the concept of titans isn't supposed to at least very partially be nuclear allegory. As an icon the colossal titan is the mushroom cloud of this setting and the geopolitical situation of the world is basically "What if nuclear weapons were incredibly finite so deterrence can't exist and whoever has them will be mistrusted and hated by default out of fear"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I remember when Berthold and Reiner were revealed to be the real villains, I wondered what the heck could their motivation possibly be. What could possibly be running through their heads as they wiped out half of humanity that made it seem at all justifiable. I knew they must have just been kids, but still. I could not imagine their perspective at all.

The fact that this chapter gave Reiner's perspective and the fact that it's actually really understandable and almost sympathetic, in a hosed up way, is honestly pretty drat amazing.

Reiner is a really interesting character, and the Marleyan/Eldian/rest of the world dynamic is really well done, honestly. It's complicated enough to seem plausible, but not so complicated that it's hard for the reader to grasp. It's a big situation that's had really hosed up personal consequences for major characters we've known all along, and we had no idea it was out there.

Speaking of things I couldn't imagine- the basement reveal was good. I couldn't imagine how it could be worth the buildup before hand, and at the time I felt it was an adequately mind blowing reveal, probably the best we were going to get, but as time goes on and the outside world is the sustained focus of the manga... it's really good!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Nina posted:

With the imagery of the latest chapter I refuse to believe the concept of titans isn't supposed to at least very partially be nuclear allegory. As an icon the colossal titan is the mushroom cloud of this setting and the geopolitical situation of the world is basically "What if nuclear weapons were incredibly finite so deterrence can't exist and whoever has them will be mistrusted and hated by default out of fear"

The Founding Titan... A weapon to surpass Metal Gear!!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gantolandon posted:

I recently tried to understand warrior/soldier dichotomy as presented and it seems to me that its translation made it a bit unclear. When presented in these words, it seems like the infiltrator trio were some plucky irregulars as opposed to parts of organized military - the manga clearly proved it's not the case. The words used in Japanese original are "senshi" and "heishi". Both are used to present a person who fights in a war, but when the latter means your usual schmuck given a weapon and told to kill enemies, the former is a bit more similar to an elite fighter or a war hero. It's someone brave and courageous who lives to fight and is ready to take insane sacrifices to defeat the enemy. Which makes perfect sense given who Berthold, Reiner and Annie are - they gave up everything, including a possibility to live normal lives, for their country. They are the perfect fascist soldiers. The twist is that Marley secured their loyalty by filling them with self-hate, ensuring they are not able to live normal lives and holding their families hostage.

I think it's just meant to indicate that the Eldian warriors under Marley's direction are an irregular force with a limited hierarchy (with Zeke seemingly being the most heavily indoctrinated, so he's the one who keeps an eye on the others and calls the shots) whereas the army inside the walls is... uh, an army.

Just another part of how THE MAN is keeping the Eldian brothers and sisters down. Soldiers are officially recognized employees of a legitimate governing body. Designating the Titan shifters as "warriors" really gives the impression of 1) Eldians aren't a real part of society so they're kept separated from everyone else even when serving the same purpose (fighting wars) 2) The Titans are just weapons, not troops. Throw them at the enemy and that'll do. Don't give them a rank, don't give them pay or benefits above a minimum level, and don't give them any ideas about being able to further their station in life beyond "slightly less oppressed"

To put it differently, the Titan snifters are government sponsored terrorists and Zeke is the CIA agent managing the whole nightmarish enterprise

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The situation is grim. No one expected the Paradis Eldians to assault the Taybar war declaration. Hundreds in the crowd died instantly when the Colossus appeared. There was a storm of steel and gunfire. King Taybar saw the Armored's head torn clean off, Jaws bisected after lounging after the asian girl who killed the Mule. Zeke ran in terror of a short fop. His guards barely got him into the mansion before the raging titan could catch him.

"My liege, we're surrounded. Half the guards have run away and the Colossus has destroyed the roads out."

King Taybar of Eldia put on his sunglasses. "After all these years it's finally time to use it. Rally the men! It's Hammer Time!"

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Eiba posted:

Reiner is a really interesting character, and the Marleyan/Eldian/rest of the world dynamic is really well done, honestly. It's complicated enough to seem plausible, but not so complicated that it's hard for the reader to grasp. It's a big situation that's had really hosed up personal consequences for major characters we've known all along, and we had no idea it was out there.
The latest chapter has done a great job at reframing what a miserable task the shifters were given. Reiner and Zeke seemed like the only ones who genuinely believed that invading Paradis was morally justifiable, and even then Reiner couldn't bring himself to directly kill citizens, only open up the wall and let the mindless titans take care of the rest.

I remember rolling my eyes at how AOT indulged the "teens are the only ones entrusted with controlling the giant fighting robots" cliche, but the latest chapters have had a great tension between the Marley's stated reason of "child shifters have more latent potential" and the unstated rationale of "child soldiers are easier to brainwash and less likely to be covertly involved in resistance factions". Most of the recruits seem to have serious doubts about what they're doing, but are so trapped in paranoid despondency that it's a moot point.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I can see Pieck has been taking posture lessons from Yoshihiro Togashi.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pieck is the Sasha of the Eldians.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Calling it now that the other world factions are gonna declare on both Marely and Paradis when the war starts out of both sheer hatred and perceived weakness.

World War Titan is gonna decimate the world's population, and I can't wait.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Calling it now that the other world factions are gonna declare on both Marely and Paradis when the war starts out of both sheer hatred and perceived weakness.

World War Titan is gonna decimate the world's population, and I can't wait.

I can't help but wonder how much Eldians really differ from Marleyans. Officially they are completely different races, with the former being able to be turned into titans and the latter isn't. However, I doubt this is really the case. What would be the point of giving some Eldians the status of honorary Marleyans and risk them spreading titanification gene - we already know half-Eldians aren't different from their full-blooded compatriots. Also, how could Marley take control of seven out of nine titan powers without being able to devour their owners and claim the power for themselves?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gantolandon posted:

What would be the point of giving some Eldians the status of honorary Marleyans and risk them spreading titanification gene - we already know half-Eldians aren't different from their full-blooded compatriots.

Even if "honorary Marleyans" are legally permitted to form families with non-Eldian Marleyans, that doesn't seem to ever happen. Reiner's father was horrified that his son became a titan shifter.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Raws are out.

More flashbacks. Focuses on how Reiner, Bert and Annie cope with losing Marcel and proceed with the attack on Paradise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A tortoise covered in molasses, crawling uphill.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
At this point the flashbacks are necessary to remind people what they started out reading in the first place

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The flashbacks are cool because they expand on stuff that was sort of implied but unanswered how they attacked the wall, Annie's role, where their cover story came from, etc.. At the same time it's also frustrating because it's been several chapters since the timeskip and we still haven't seen any of the dudes from Paradise and have no idea what they're planning. It seems like we might still be a chapter or two away from returning to Eren and co.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JahRoo posted:

The flashbacks are cool because they expand on stuff that was sort of implied but unanswered how they attacked the wall, Annie's role, where their cover story came from, etc.. At the same time it's also frustrating because it's been several chapters since the timeskip and we still haven't seen any of the dudes from Paradise and have no idea what they're planning. It seems like we might still be a chapter or two away from returning to Eren and co.

It's probably because their return to the story is going to be explosive and violent and things need to be properly set up before they are demolished.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably because their return to the story is going to be explosive and violent and things need to be properly set up before they are demolished.

The anticipation is killing me.

:killing:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ImpAtom posted:

In my experience reading manga, you see flashbacks right before characters die. So if that's any indication, in the coming chapters a whole lot of people are going to die.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It just sucks waiting four months for anything relevant to happen. Is this stuff interesting? Sure, but I'd much rather take a drat summary than waste yet another chapter on a group of four who only has one active member currently alive-ish.

Let's time skip! And then uh.......skip backwards a little bit....then skip forward again! Hell yeah!

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

ImpAtom posted:

I will hold you personally accountable if this turns out to be wrong

At least it's not being a cocktease like the wait leading up to the big battle for the basement, since we already know what happens re: these flashbacks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It just sucks waiting four months for anything relevant to happen. Is this stuff interesting? Sure, but I'd much rather take a drat summary than waste yet another chapter on a group of four who only has one active member currently alive-ish.

Let's time skip! And then uh.......skip backwards a little bit....then skip forward again! Hell yeah!

i can not wait to see the complaints when it turns out the whole drat story is just one big flashback from someone in the future

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress, I will die.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chapter's up in english

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Chapter-096?id=376940

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think this was a good chapter, but agree that next chapter should be a return to the present and poo poo goes down. It's been a while. One piece having 8-chapter-long flashbacks is fine since it's weekly, but 4+ months of flashbacks in a monthly series is a bit much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A fantastic chapter. It's been a while since this comic has been this outright horrific.

The three being chased by titans on the way to the wall, the titan in the window, the kids flat murdering a dude who abandoned his children, to the imagined scene of the wall colossuses being let lose against the world, everything here really sells just how terrifying everything is. The best was probably early on when Annie brutalized Reiner, only to in turn get caught in a headlock by a kid with only half a face.

(It's also a callback/callforward to how Reiner was defeated by Eren later on, with Reiner being grappled. Why did Reiner win against Annie only to lose in the same manner against Eren? Because when fighting Annie, he was determined to become Marcel, to be a warrior. When he fought Eren, he was conflicted!)

Also, this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The chapter was worth it because it clarified one important point: they were not infiltrated in the Eldian society when the attack started with Colossal opening up the wall. I always thought they infiltrated much more mundanely, like entering form the doors saying they were from a remote village, they scouted the area, integrated with the rest, and months later, they started the attack.
But from what we have seen, they really didn't know what was inside the walls (normal humans, not 'demons') when they attacked, and they were in a desperate position.

Also, this:

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 5, 2017

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Reiner grows more tragic every month. Everybody so far but his mom and Bert have told him he should die or be eaten. Looks like we'll need 1 or 2 more chapters to show him developing his split-personality. I just hope after this arc is over we flashforward to Marley boats arriving to Paradis.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sub Harrison posted:

Looks like we'll need 1 or 2 more chapters to show him developing his split-personality.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end of the flashback. I really don't know how much more we need to see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

drat, what a loving good flashback. We didn't exactly learn anything new, but it answered the biggest question I've had for years. What the gently caress were they thinking when they smashed the walls?

And honestly... this is a really good answer. It totally justifies all the stuff we've seen outside the wall after the time skip. We needed to be immersed in that world, to understand Reiner's real world, to know why three scared kids ended up committing such a horrific act.

That scene of Bertolt looking over the wall... that ridiculously iconic scene that started everything... we now know the fear and desperation that was behind that moment. Recontextualizing everything so completely is a really incredible feat, that I didn't even realize this arc was working up to.

We've known all the facts and the general motivations for a while now. There was no sudden revelation in this chapter. But seeing it happen is something else entirely. If the basement reveal was "oh. wow. that's different. huh." that changed everything without having any real emotional satisfaction this was the emotional reveal that pairs with it. Not only is everything different than we thought, but holy poo poo is it hosed up.

Honestly, I almost don't even care about what happens after this. This was the story of Attack on Titan to me.