Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mulva posted:

Their own innate incompetence due to the intrinsic weakness of a feudal system.

Well space feudalism worked in Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing I don't get about Space Japan is that they all do Chinese martial arts. Are there no Karate dojos in Vancouver? The whole war makes it feel like they got a note from the network halfway through last season to make everything more "epic" with higher stakes so we end up with the infinite improbability drive and the giant war taking place entirely offscreen and the like.

I think the point where the show will officially be past itself is if they all get their memories erased again.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I sometimes get the feeling someone at the network doesn't like the show and fucks with it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's been meandering since the beginning. It definitely has its good moments but most of it is meaningless. Remember that really ominous cargo hold nobody could get into and when they did it had a frozen lady and a bunch of junk? What the gently caress? That's the easiest way to build an oh poo poo moment and they couldn't even come up with a bunch of deus ex machina to fuel future episodes. Cmon! Just copy Stargate!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I think making the two big storyline antagonists (Ryo and the Bad Corporations That Are Bad) completely separate from each other was too ambitious for what the show is. I'm sure the Ryo story will merge into the corporate war story, probably around mid-season, but there's not enough stakes in either one right now.

As it stands I still feel like there's a lot of space (christ) for a light space show that does good stand-alone episodes. I know most of the time with The Expanse, if I skip an episode I'm just like what...the gently caress when I see the next one.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Fat Lowtax posted:

I think making the two big storyline antagonists (Ryo and the Bad Corporations That Are Bad) completely separate from each other was too ambitious for what the show is. I'm sure the Ryo story will merge into the corporate war story, probably around mid-season, but there's not enough stakes in either one right now.

As it stands I still feel like there's a lot of space (christ) for a light space show that does good stand-alone episodes. I know most of the time with The Expanse, if I skip an episode I'm just like what...the gently caress when I see the next one.

I never thought I'd actively want to have a regression to "status quo sci fi" of the 90s but I definitely agree. I mean I absolutely love heavily serialized science fiction or other shows, but something I could just toss on for friends now and then who maybe never saw an episode before and they could just enjoy it without a 2 hour long primer would be very welcome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One thing I was wondering, why did that woman in Space Japan have to deliver an update on the war in person? Don't they have instantaneous communication across any distance, whereas actual travel takes time? Does Space Japan just love their medieval theme so much that they pretend they need to send actual messengers around instead of just phoning?

Also, why does Ryo want the Raza crew dead so badly? They stole back the blink drive from him, but is that all? Why is he wasting resources on this vendetta in the middle of a war?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tiggum posted:

Also, why does Ryo want the Raza crew dead so badly? They stole back the blink drive from him, but is that all? Why is he wasting resources on this vendetta in the middle of a war?

Ryo has always basically been a vengeance-motivated psychopath with a thin veneer of "honorable warrior."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New Episode

One More Card to Play

It's Raza vs Raza when other dimensional alternates of the crew steal weapons, the real crew must get them back.

Hmm.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/07/06/july-6-2017-rallying-the-dark-matter-fans/

It's not my favorite show in television but I enjoy it and hope they get their 5 season.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Minimal

Effort :geno:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Where's Corso?"

"Not appearing on the show, even though he totally should."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Minimal

Effort :geno:

Android owns no matter which universe she comes from.

Shame, Not Tabor Adrian was growing on me.

Wait so Ferris Corp man is pretty certain they will win in 6 months or less but Mikkei Combine still thinks Ferris and the other corporations will basically wipe themselves out. At this point I'm expecting Ryo to find another 4 fleets and decisively win the war against the nebulous enemy he's been fighting.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wait so Ferris Corp man is pretty certain they will win in 6 months or less but Mikkei Combine still thinks Ferris and the other corporations will basically wipe themselves out. At this point I'm expecting Ryo to find another 4 fleets and decisively win the war against the nebulous enemy he's been fighting.

On the one hand, almost every country that went to war in human history thought they'd have this one wrapped up by Christmas, but I also think a joke like that is too cerebral for this show

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair we have no idea how big space japan's war is. It could be 10 systems or 1,000 since we've only heard of battles in the background over a planet that happened off screen so it's plausible more fleets could come from ?????? and fight ??????? in ?????? for ??????

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is Space Japan meant to be fighting the corporations?

Is Space Japan actually a corporation?

Does anything about this show's world building make sense?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They explicitly said in this episode that space Japan was not involved in the corporate war.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This season everytime Ryo has been talking about the war there have been those holograms that represent either planets or systems. Either way, there are like 5-6 of them so their war isn't very big in the grand scheme of ALL OUT and offscreen CORPORATE WAR. And even last season they mentioned they Pyr was being backed by a corporation or two. I don't think Space :japan: has any corporate backers.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
I kinda like season 3, the characters and dialogue are better than the previous seasons imho or it's just that the majority of the boring characters are dead/gone.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

They explicitly said in this episode that space Japan was not involved in the corporate war.

Then who are they fighting? They're clearly losing ships...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Thats what's so weird about this show. I watch pretty much all the Vancouver sci fi to exist, and so do half the posters in this thread. We could have our own gang tag. God knows I love me some Roger Cross but its like nobody has any loving idea what's going on in this show. All the way from production to our eyeballs, nobody has a poo poo clue what anybody else is doing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Then who are they fighting? They're clearly losing ships...

They are fighting Pyr, which is probably some other independent empire like Zairon. The joke of them being nebulous is that the show has never shown a single person that works for them, or their ships, or emblem or anything really. poo poo now I want Pyr to be a celestial object like an asteroid or just an uninhabited planet that is somehow winning the war.

:ssh: Also Dark Matter and Killjoys are shot in Toronto

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I just generally get the feeling the show has no idea what it wants to be or the budget to do much even if it did. It doesn't have the budget for action (I think at one point soldiers were armored with what looked like cookie trays), doesn't really have the writing to focus on its characters, and is completely disinterested in world building. It is still marginally watchable if you are really bored but only just.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They are fighting Pyr, which is probably some other independent empire like Zairon. The joke of them being nebulous is that the show has never shown a single person that works for them, or their ships, or emblem or anything really. poo poo now I want Pyr to be a celestial object like an asteroid or just an uninhabited planet that is somehow winning the war.

I just consider Vancouver to represent all of Canada. God knows Vancouver has been a standin for most of the US at some point or another. Also Killjoys owns so loving hard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I just consider Vancouver to represent all of Canada. God knows Vancouver has been a standin for most of the US at some point or another. Also Killjoys owns so loving hard.

Killjoys gets points for being the first TV show in history to have a fabulous warlord.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At least th fight scenes are passable so far his season, I know that isn't a high bar to clear given the first two seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Killjoys has had a whole hell of a lot of Cronenberg-esque body horror so far this season. It's pretty great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

etalian posted:

Killjoys gets points for being the first TV show in history to have a fabulous warlord.

He and Captain Shakespeare from stardust should have adventures

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show is not complicated. If you can't follow this, everyday life must be an incomprehensible puzzle.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What if Pyr is the Canadian boreal forest

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killjoys owns so loving hard.

Dark Matter is way better than Killjoys. Well, the bits that aren't Space Japan, anyway.

Speaking of Killjoys though, what was with that last episode being so anti-nerd? That was so weird.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Dark Matter is way better than Killjoys. Well, the bits that aren't Space Japan, anyway.

Speaking of Killjoys though, what was with that last episode being so anti-nerd? That was so weird.

I have never seen such an objectively wrong opinion in my life

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tiggum posted:

They judge everyone against the bar of John, which is a fairly high bar to clear.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

They judge everyone against the bar of John, which is a fairly high bar to clear.

There was that as well, but it also seemed like a more general thing where they all (including Turin) just hated nerds. :shrug:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just started watching this show from the beginning and have no idea if it's any good. Is it any good? 20 minutes in and it seems very bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's cheesy but gets to be a ton of fun. Don't go in expecting some serious space opera.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nvm i turned it off.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Nvm i turned it off.

Season 4 thread title

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This show is pretty plot-less, but as long as the android is around I'll keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember stargate?

yeah me too

also remember falling skys?

this show is better than falling skys

• Locked thread