Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

:siren:Puzzle Pirates is an MMO thats been around since 2003, unfortunately after years of little support the old developers ran like rats from a sinking ship, but its been taken over by new hands who are attempting to revive the game with the launch of Dark Seas, a new ocean with new rules and mechanics! :siren:
This Ocean is brand new so a perfect time to jump in!
Pillage and plunder with goons in this MMOArrPG (Massively multiplayer online alternate reality role playing game).

:siren:You need to access the game through steam!:siren:

It has pirates!
It has puzzles!
It has politics!
It has doubloons. Lots of them.
Also, it's FREE.

YPP has a player-run economy and politics. Crews can join together under a flag, which in turn can take over islands or wage wars against other flags. If you are at war, you can even sink other flags' ships! With the launch of Dark Seas, the 2 opposing factions are already at war!
Dark Seas introduces a new Faction system, where crews join either one of two factions which are constantly at war! This ocean will be pvp focused, with attempts at sinking the enemy and taking over Islands being at the forefront of gameplay!

It also has an awesome curse filter. You tartes had better get the scupper in our crew before I rip off your John Thomases and jam them up your barrelstoppers like you were a bunch of barnaclety trollops.

:pirate:To get in our crew, Anarchist Syndicate, you'll need to ask one of the officers in the crew in-game to invite you.

To find an officer in the game type "/cwho Anarchist Syndicate", and pick an officer from the resulting list of online crew members.
You can send someone a message by typing "/tell name message"
:pirate:

But I hear ye ask, what be the plan with this new ocean? Well let me lay it out for ye.

quote:

The Plan:
The goal for Dark Seas is to introduce an entirely new ocean where the rules are a bit different. This shadowy new ocean is a volatile place full of more danger and unexplored frontiers. We are going to introduce some new theme and story elements involving an insidious darkness that is invading the ocean, affecting the appearance of the world and the very nature of the pirates who live there. Some of the gameplay changes we're looking at including are:

*All players will be required to choose an alignment in the dark vs. light battle, and PvP between these two factions is automatic.
*Shops can be demolished as part of the island takeover process, encouraging a robust turnover of managers and territory.
*A new ocean layout to accompany the dark vs. light story, with some newly created islands to explore.
*A Sea Monster Hunt rotation so that only one type is available at any time, to help concentrate player activity and voyages into a more condensed area of the game.
*Poker will have greatly reduced buy-ins on this Ocean.
*Dark Seas will be an isolated doubloon ocean where doubloon trades with our current oceans will not be enabled.

But why?!

quote:

The Reasons:
One of the main motivations behind this release is to bring more players into the Puzzle Pirates community, and these are some of the ways we think the new ocean can help with that:

*We want to introduce Puzzle Pirates to players who have perhaps never played the game before.
*By launching a fresh new ocean, new players will have a chance to get started on an equal footing with everyone, rather than being many years behind the established players.
*This new Ocean also allows us to experiment with some changes to the core mechanics of Puzzle Pirates that might be too disruptive to the established oceans (such as shop destruction, limiting poker, and increased PvP).
*The new release will give us the opportunity to bring back former players who may have retired, but would be excited to try something new and different in the world of Puzzle Pirates. We expect there will be many players who return to check out Dark Seas.
*A separate ocean allows us to continue to update our current oceans separately, though many of the changes and improvements we make for the Dark Seas release will be applicable for all oceans

:siren:If you want a little more information on some other basics, here is a recent FAQ from one of the lead developers over on the Puzzle Pirate forums::siren:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=206382#2704652

:siren::siren::siren:Q and A time!!::siren::siren::siren:

Q. What games are there in this here puzzle pirates?
A. Swordfighting, Bilging, Carpentry, Sail Patching, Sailing, Rigging, Gunnery, Duty Navigation, Battle Navigation, Treasure Hauling, Drinking, Treasure Drop, Hearts, Spades, Poker, Alchemistry, Distilling, Shipwrightery, Blacksmithing, Foraging, Rumbling, and Weaving

Q. Does this game cost money to play? I be a bit light in the pantaloons.
A. No, my good man, you may play all parts of the game for free.
You can buy doubloons for money but it's not necessary because you can make easy money (PoE [pieces of eight]) if you have decent puzzling or poker playing skills:siren:Poker has been massively nerfed in the Dark Seas, buy ins of hundreds of thousands of gold no longer exist, poker is no longer the money fountain it was in the previous version of the game.:siren:. Use your PoE to buy doubloons. Doubloons are kind of a second currency in the game. You pay doubloons to get items that you ordered from shops and stalls delivered to you.

Q. Kind sir, I wish to view a map of this new Ocean ripe for plunder and booty!
A. Take a gander sailor!

:siren:Unlike the previous version of the game, PVP battles are only non sinking in the southern grey waters Island chain, if you go up against the enemy faction anywhere else and win, they permanently lose their ship! It has to be replaced by another pirate owned shoppe, building the new vessel using raw materials gathered from the in game world and other pirates working at the shoppe! Everything is connected!:siren:

Q. Can I play this game on my wi-fi enabled toaster with optional dual LCD attachment?
A. The game is java based so even our one Bhutan and (gasp) Linux friends can come out and play. Just click the download link and watch the magic.

Q. Where is everyone? I looked you guys up and no one is on! And why did you move again!
A. First of all, check that you are on the new Obsidian Ocean, this is not accessible through the old installer!

:pirate: :siren:* Nothing from the old Oceans is transferable to the new version of the game! Its a brand new fresh start people!
But eventually you too, can have your very own seafaring vessel! Take charge of ye cannons!

* If you've played with us on any of the previous oceans and noticed that not much of interest was going on, This should make it several orders of magnitude more likely to find interesting things to do, a lot of stuff has yet to be reached as this ocean has only been open for 1 week

Q. I have joined and I am wandering around clueless. What do I do now? Its a little outdated seeing as some of the stuff does not apply to Dark Seas but its still a decent guide.
A. Read this wiki article titled Starting Out Tutorial
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Starting_out

Q. What other adventures can I parlay in?
A. Perhaps you'd like to face down ghost ships full of skeletons, or attempt to take down that infamous beast the Kraken?

Q. Where the hell did my one/two/eight year old pirate go? It had all sorts of cool stuff, like a hat!
A. You will have to create a new pirate or account in the new Client once you have downloaded it. Nothing has transferred across.

Q. Does this game have stuff like player housing?
A. Why indeed it does! As of right now, no "nice" housing is available in Dark Seas as none of the Islands have been opened for capture and we need pirates to build those shiny mansions first! Right now you get a free hobo shack, but eventually you can fill your houses with whatever crap you may wish.

Q. This game sounds like EVE, EVE is bad.
A. This game is good, it shares some similarities to EVE sure. Full player economy, Island ownership, building ships and attacking other pirates. But it is far more involved! The puzzles are accessible but tricky to master, the economics is in depth but not overwhelming. Jump on board mateys and try it out!

Q. I heard this game is currently in beta?
A. Correct ye be! The developers have announced that this version of the game is currently in beta and there is no time limit as of now, expect game features to change and things to be mixed up on occasion. This is the attempt at reviving one of the most individual and out of the box MMO's around.

Dark Seas on release is now available on Steam!

Q. Sometimes I like to cause mayhem and throw rotten fruit at people.
A. Then to the brig with ye!

Ye olde threade for the sake of yer ancestors
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3329783

Disclaimer: I stole some of the OP from the previous one, its called environmentally friendly recycling.

Jacada fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Thanks for the OP.

This is a really good game that a lot of you used to play and grew tired of. Right now is a great time to jump back in and have a couple weeks, or couple years, worth of fun. Ocean openings are the most exciting time as everyone is equal and this game is very much a skill-based mmo, not time-based.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Holy moly I miss Puzzle Pirates. I'm so in.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I am all up in this on my old handle Inshallah. I love decrepit mmos and puzzles!!!

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I was going to try this game out but after installing and running the client successfully, it gets to "installing media" and freezes, then refuses to run again, and you can't post on the forums unless you have an account, which you can only register from within the game client, so... welp

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Automatonic Water posted:

I was going to try this game out but after installing and running the client successfully, it gets to "installing media" and freezes, then refuses to run again, and you can't post on the forums unless you have an account, which you can only register from within the game client, so... welp

That's strange, did you try running it as an administrator or in compatability mode?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Automatonic Water posted:

This is a strange problem, I suspect Jacada's solution might help. You can always email support@puzzlepirates.com directly rather than post on their forums. It might have even been a moment of downtime on their end that left your client in limbo and a reinstall of that + java could help?

If your interest lasts a couple of weeks, they're hoping to push it to steam as soon as possible and then the client should be hassle-free.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'll pop in for a cheeky bilge now and then, why not!

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
In as Hestler, is there a discord?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Emo Rodeo posted:

In as Hestler, is there a discord?

Yeah we have a flag discord I'll send you the details in game.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
How does the Steam version interact with this? If I run my current Puzzle Pirates install, will it update to this version, or is Dark Seas its own application?

(To be honest, I doubt I will get involved in the near future. I'm playing too many other games and playing a lot less at the moment.)

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Oh wow, I forgot how much I love Puzzle Pirates but seeing the pictures of those puzzles really brings me back.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Kevos Setzer posted:

How does the Steam version interact with this? If I run my current Puzzle Pirates install, will it update to this version, or is Dark Seas its own application?

(To be honest, I doubt I will get involved in the near future. I'm playing too many other games and playing a lot less at the moment.)

Dark Seas is currently not accessible through Steam as its in beta testing and has its own seperate client, when it releases it will be made available on steam, but no word on when release is as of yet.
Its only downloadable through the link in the OP.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Alright, I'll ask it: Is there going to be a wipe upon release?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Moose_Knuck posted:

Alright, I'll ask it: Is there going to be a wipe upon release?

The developers have said no to a wipe, unless something catastrophic happens which means they have to. In which case any real money purchases made will be refunded plus an extra 10%.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Jacada posted:

The developers have said no to a wipe, unless something catastrophic happens which means they have to. In which case any real money purchases made will be refunded plus an extra 10%.

I wonder if they looked at the recent Secret World Legends release, where people multiplied their premium currency through the exchange and the devs had to shut the game down for the better part of a day and do a rollback. That's the kind of situation I imagine them hitting the button on.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Kevos Setzer posted:

I wonder if they looked at the recent Secret World Legends release, where people multiplied their premium currency through the exchange and the devs had to shut the game down for the better part of a day and do a rollback. That's the kind of situation I imagine them hitting the button on.

Its always likely they might have to do a rollback, but I highly doubt they will do any sort of wipe.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
I'm in as Theweedguy. Can confirm this game is still tight as ever.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Wow, played this a lifetime ago. I don't think anything i've played has ever matched it in terms of creating a cohesive world glued together with puzzles.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
This poo poo was my jam as a kid and i even have the boxed game around here somewhere. I am so in on this.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I might give this a bit of a whirl since I haven't played in ages and I remember the puzzles being fun.

Edit: I'm in as Irongauntlet.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I might give this a bit of a whirl since I haven't played in ages and I remember the puzzles being fun.

Everyones welcome! Even to just give it a try. No stress! :)

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Oh, and definitely join the crew even if you're just trying it. We need more goon chats. Thx

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
I've always been curious about this thing and now I don't have an excuse, I'm in as Jaiden.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Will give this a go, haven't played this in years and years, in as dreamertt.

Into Space
Jul 23, 2013
I was so into Puzzle Pirates like ten years ago, I'm gonna get in on this for sure.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I wonder if they're going to do anything about the puzzle bots that people have made, or if it's just a problem that has no solution.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

staplegun posted:

I wonder if they're going to do anything about the puzzle bots that people have made, or if it's just a problem that has no solution.

One of the most recent patches attempted to disrupt the botting problem for blockades, so it is definitely something that is on their radar. RuneScape has developed pretty comprehensive anti-botting technology, so it is possible.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Well we have a fair few goons now! Some of which have already set up shops and own a ship. I don't really get why people bot on this game, part of the fun for me is trying to figure out how to do well at a puzzle.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
One thing I've always struggled with is the ability to plan ahead for doubles and triples. I'm decent at weaving because as long as you place the same colored pieces next to each other, you generally will combo. Other puzzles, like sailing, are insanely hard for me. Does anybody have any tricks that they use to get over the hump?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Moose_Knuck posted:

One thing I've always struggled with is the ability to plan ahead for doubles and triples. I'm decent at weaving because as long as you place the same colored pieces next to each other, you generally will combo. Other puzzles, like sailing, are insanely hard for me. Does anybody have any tricks that they use to get over the hump?

We have some good links to guides in the crew articles, but for convenience try using http://www.dachimpy.com/ as a helpful starting point.

Start by trying to do bingos, that's my recommendation. My sailing strategy is to fill up the platforms until they have one piece left, and then try to fill that with a piece that means the unused piece will drop into the platform below it

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
yo i went on a pillage and lost back to back pvp so i give everyone 500 gold coins v sad

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

dogsupremacy posted:

yo i went on a pillage and lost back to back pvp so i give everyone 500 gold coins v sad

This is karma for abandoning us.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Ill never abandon you mens I just gotta make the night team so I can attack the 100s of day team boats

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

You gotta get more bois mate

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

At least you have 10000 cannon balls, all you need now is more bois to help fire them.

bmelts
Nov 17, 2014
it's been 10 years… i hope i remember how to bilge

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I'm in like Flynn! as Wolfs

I used to puzzle the pirates back in the day. I think I remember how things worked?

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
I'm in as Meowlen, I loved this game

ElephantCrave fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In as MikeCrotch you bilgedrinkers! Time to swot up on rigging and carpentry since that was the only thing I was good at...

• Locked thread