Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was in naval intelligence with Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee et al. during the war, wasn't he? I think there was an article about it when a bunch of files were declassified a couple of years ago; he reported directly to Churchill and Attlee, which is pretty cool.

It was also revealed in a DWM that he will steal Churchill's cigar butts and sell them to Americans as souvenirs.

Tom once told a story about how he'd wind up Jon. Apparently, Jon wasn't one to turn down any money, regardless of the role. So Tom, just within earshot of Jon, would say things like "I was 10,000 dollars to do this voice over role, but they wanted me there at eight in the morning. So, of course I turned them down." just to get a rise out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It does make me wonder how often the other Doctors ever got to hang out together. I know Sylvester was fairly used to Tom's more drunken antics

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was in naval intelligence with Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee et al. during the war, wasn't he? I think there was an article about it when a bunch of files were declassified a couple of years ago; he reported directly to Churchill and Attlee, which is pretty cool.

And he sang all those reports, right? Right? :neckbeard:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well never know what a Peter Cushing doctor would have looked like :sigh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CommonShore posted:

Well never know what a Peter Cushing doctor would have looked like :sigh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We'll never know :sigh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Peter Cushing was one of several actors considered for the Second Doctor, so he probably would've ended up looking the way he looked when he was Sherlock Holmes in the mid-60s.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At the Earth's Core is so close to being an old Doctor Who serial that I legit don't know whether that screenshot is from that movie or one of the Doctor Who ones.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

On the subject of winding up Jon Pertwee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EibXGG99Hmk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dabir posted:

On the subject of winding up Jon Pertwee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EibXGG99Hmk

Pertwee's cloak in The Five Doctors is the greatest garment ever on the show, or perhaps in all of human history.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
"He looked fabulous in that film-- I never saw the film"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/tuckerspatch/status/883656503139459072
https://twitter.com/tuckerspatch/status/883664967198801922

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casual Calapdi is a thing of beauty

He's such an expressive man

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

He's such an expressive man

Kind of wish we got to see more of this Doctor

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

I love the fact that he's doing the Pertwee Pose, but in a t-shirt. :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just finished my partial rewatch of Eccleston's season and I have to say that the good stories are really really good, and the others are entirely forgettable.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Series 8, 9 and 10 in the Center

A nice contrast between his three Series' selves

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
https://youtu.be/ffX5iAG0GWI

My journey into classic Who continues (mostly because I forgot to cancel my BritBox sub before the 1 week trial was up). Last one I watched was Trial of a Time Lord. I still like 6.

Watched my first 2 story, Tomb of the Cybermen. I quite like Troughton. Time to give Tom Baker and McCoy a shot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pray that whoever we get as The 13th Doctor, he gets it as much as Capaldi does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMOHb4RKEg

Q_res posted:

https://youtu.be/ffX5iAG0GWI

My journey into classic Who continues (mostly because I forgot to cancel my BritBox sub before the 1 week trial was up). Last one I watched was Trial of a Time Lord. I still like 6.

Speaking of 6 I finally got around to The Last Adventure:

I'd heard rather mixed reviews ITT of it, and I have to agree. The first story was smashing; would stand up to any Doctor, any era. The second was...silly. Kinda dumb. The third, well Jago and Litefoot always bring it, but the ending was a bit lame. I think there was a lot of missed opportunity in the 4th story. Sure, the idea that old Sixie was the willing architect of his own death as a way of saving the Time Lords, and by extension, the Universe, from The Valeyard was a nice gesture to C Bakes, but I have to admit when I saw Sylvester McCoy in the credits I would have hoped for meatier role--imagine the apotheosis of The Valeyard trying to steal The Doctor's remaining regenerations; imagine he succeeds, and 6 kills him--only for him to regenerate into a Valeyard version of 7, played to the hilt by McCoy :allears: Not that I'm begrudging Michael Jayston his performance because he certainly chews the gently caress out of the scenery as only he can. But another missed opportunity--the Valeyard is always portrayed as Evil Incarnate, always creepily insinuating or manically cackling--imagine him played as a True Nth Doctor--imagine him being genuinely sincerely charming to a companion, imagine him doing what he thinks as right as The True Doctor, but misguided from our perspective--that would have been a nuanced take indeed.The idea that The Valeyard is really, truly, a Doctor Gone Wrong is something we've never really seen, and we're the poorer for it IMO.

Another missed opportunity that only BF could do--the Valeyard is the Doctor at the end of his (first) regeneration cycle. In theory he has the memories of all the Doctors, at least to Trenzalore. So they could have dropped a few hints that he knows more. Imagine he referenced stuff from past 6 that Trial of a Timelord never could? When he mentioned Jago as a having a military bearing in the 3rd episode, imagine Jago being hinted at playing Captain Jack, and Ellie as playing Rose in the macabe play acting of the 9th Doctor's regeneration? Or hints of 8? Could the Bowtie reference been to 11 instead of 2? A great way to dovetail BF into the greater world of the current show. The best we got was the reference to Flip "falling a great distance if she didn't look where she leapt" or whatever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
drat it - last night's episode didn't tape. What did I miss?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 9, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

drat it - last night's episode didn't take. What did I miss?

Omega came back! It was revealed his experiments with the black hole and time travel were the cause of the Weeping Angels! The Doctor pulled the Hand of Omega out of storage from the TARDIS, and rode it Dr Strangelove style, blasting both he and Omega back into the antimatter universe! But then it was revealed that Bill had rescued him last moment and placed him back at Antarctica in 1986.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

drat it - last night's episode didn't take. What did I miss?

No, you saw it. It was one of those Blink-style episodes focusing on someone other than the Doctor and their companion, only they had one of the Silence as the protagonist. Even I can only remember it because I'm watching it again on my TV right now near my PC.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Anything happen with Pete?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, you saw it. It was one of those Blink-style episodes focusing on someone other than the Doctor and their companion, only they had one of the Silence as the protagonist. Even I can only remember it because I'm watching it again on my TV right now near my PC.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him on as the first Silence companion right up to the Christmas special.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This running gag is the most enjoyment anyone ever got from the Silence.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

Barry the Silent was pretty funny.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yesterday I bought Emperor of the Daleks, the newest collection of classic Doctor Who Magazine comic strips by Panini Books, to alleviate what had turned out to be a rather spectacularly lovely day. I don't know what it is about the DWM comics, but they seem to hit this sweet spot that's just perfect for me - they're a bit involved in terms of continuity, but in a way that's imaginative and story-driven instead of obtusely fannish. Maybe it's just because they know their readership so well, they know that they can rely on most readers knowing what Rutans are or what happened on Spiridon to allow them to base new stories on that. It also helps that the comics mostly pull from the TV show, and they (usually) avoid getting mired in their own obscure continuity in the way the novels sometimes did.

(The titular story in Emperor is actually the worst offender in this regard that I've read - it's a cool story, but there's a whole big to-do about Abslom Daak and the Dalek War and Benny stuff I seem to half-remember from some Paul Cornell novel or another, and the book obviously expects me to care about these Beloved Tertiary Characters that really don't bring anything to the story on their own. The Eighth Doctor stories steer a bit towards a more self-involved continuity, too, but I can give them a pass since the DWM strips were in a more prominent role compared to other EU stuff at that point, and at least they tend to keep away from referencing Big Finish or the BBC Books line. The key to keeping your continuity references in check is to not blur the lines between spin-off lines, it seems.)

So yeah, the DWM comics seem to operate on this specific flavour of fanwank that I personally really enjoy. The Panini reprints are gorgeous, too, and it's great that they're releasing old stuff in between collections of current-day strips (and hopefully they'll get around to re-releasing some of the out-of-print Eighth Doctor books once they run out of Seven stuff). The old comics are something of a different animal from modern DWM strips - I haven't read too much of their New Who stuff, but the fact that we're out of the Wilderness Years alone means that their focus has to be a bit different from what makes the old strips so much fun - but seeing how the Twelfth Doctor recently met the Delgado Master of all things, it seems to me that some of that spirit that makes the old comics so enjoyable to me is still there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

The what? :confused:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh, now that's lovely

Gimme a Comic or Audio with these five someday

I think we're due for another Five Doctors, no?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm honestly surprised Moffat hasn't done more with 8 given his love for BF

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh, now that's lovely

Gimme a Comic or Audio with these five someday

I think we're due for another Five Doctors, no?

The Five Doctors II: Five Harder

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The who?

Chokes, you're writing this edit and looking at Barry right now. He wants funyons and he's very cross about it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

The Five Doctors II: Five Harder
Does "The Fivening" sound too presumptuous?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Does "The Fivening" sound too presumptuous?

2 Five 2 Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Five 2: Sonic Screwdriveroo

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Who will they hire to play Ninth, assuming Eccleston refuses to return?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
James Nesbitt.

He's from a north.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sean Bean, the other Northerner that Americans sort of recognise from movies.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just get Nicholas Briggs, he's already shown us that he can('t) do the accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

David Bradley, duh!

• Locked thread