Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Compendium posted:

He has one, it's being a jerk or bugfuck insane

It's why he'll always have a soft spot in my heart. Yeah, some might say Nanaya mode is Shiki when he's cool as hell, but they're not entirely right: Nanaya Shiki is loving bonkers and the ludicrous leaps in logic he makes when a monster is nearby are far more impressive than his feats of physicality.

"Nero is a lot of stuff put together. I do not know if I can kill each and every individual creature that makes him before they recombine and revive." "Hmmm....guess I'll just press this button instead."

"This dude just trivialized Arc and her reality marble. I will die if I fight him. I suppose my only strategy then is just to kill him before I die.

:madmax:

It's different from Shirou's approach, too, since Shirou just doesn't give a poo poo what happens to himself so long as he saves the day. Shiki is just a huge gambler on being an effective super murderer when the moment calls for it. He bets on himself even when he sees no chance of success, because gosh darn it he has ONE COOL TRICK and by golly he's just got to find a way to use it better...er.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm thinking maybe I need to reread Tsukihime

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You do. I've been rereading Tsukihime and I've just been going, "Wow, Shiki's a jerk and ohmygod what made you think this is okay!?"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Shiki's this loner guy who at a glance seems really chill, but really he's just a selfish jerk who wants to go through life's motions without having to deal with anyone - which is good, because he's just comically awful at actually dealing with people when he tries.

He really is the anti-Shirou.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Half the time, he's making jabs at the people he is close to like Arc and best buddy Arihiko.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite scene in Tsukihime is the casual meeting of serial killers.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've always liked that Nasu has been explicit about Shiki and Shirou hating one another.

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite scene in Tsukihime is the casual meeting of serial killers.
It's definitely a highlight.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
He gets stalked by a battle nun that smells like curry, the only TV in the house is in the room of the maid that spikes his food, he has crippling anemia, and his sister won't let him sneak out of the house at night to hang out with vampires. Shiki has every right to be kind of a jerk.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hommando posted:

He gets stalked by a battle nun that smells like curry, the only TV in the house is in the room of the maid that spikes his food, he has crippling anemia, and his sister won't let him sneak out of the house at night to hang out with vampires. Shiki has every right to be kind of a jerk.

Also his entire clan was slaughtered by a half-demon, he got his memory fried and then died by getting his chest torn open.

I'd be grumpy too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Compendium posted:

Half the time, he's making jabs at the people he is close to like Arc and best buddy Arihiko.

They bring out his inner tsundere.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Shiki is completely loving loco, and it's what makes him one of my favorite VN protagonists

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rodyle posted:

I've always liked that Nasu has been explicit about Shiki and Shirou hating one another.

And then in Carnival Phantasm they become bros due to the shared suffering of having been stupid enough to try dating their entire respective harems in one day without letting the girls catch on. :buddy: :respek: :downs:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
When I call Tohno a jerk, I do mean it endearingly because otherwise he'd just be a bland harem protagonist.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

And then in Carnival Phantasm they become bros due to the shared suffering of having been stupid enough to try dating their entire respective harems in one day without letting the girls catch on. :buddy: :respek: :downs:

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that dang Sion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

McTimmy posted:

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that dang Sion.

Nah, at the very least Shirou was busted as soon he tried to sneak out on Sakura the first time; rewatch the episode and you can spot her stalking him whenever he's with one of the other girls.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In anticipation for the next episode of Apocryha I think my favorite part of the episode was just how psyched Mordred looked when she was summoned.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Fate Zero was more depressing then I remembered. Berserker should've dual wielded awps. He would've been good in call of duty.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Apocrypha's OP is bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

Apocrypha's OP is bad.

possibly the worst fate OP ever?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I haven't seen it yet, because so far, the Extella OP sticks out to me as not very good, so if Apoc is somehow worse...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

yeah no give me Disillusion any day of the week

I also wasn't aware that Red and Black were supposed to fight it out internally after beating the other faction, though that does make sense

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It also presents a better explanation to why Amakusa went out of his way to take control of almost all the Red Servants.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

...maybe an Apocrypha anime thread is in order, considering

e: too many characters for an op :effort:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 9, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I have fond memories of making the second season UBW thread...

That said, I'm waiting for three eps of Apoc to come out, so I can have a bunch to watch in a sitting.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Apocrypha lookin' good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rodyle posted:

...maybe an Apocrypha anime thread is in order, considering

e: too many characters for an op :effort:

I agree with this. I basically only come to this thread for that, so having a thread specifically for it would help (as I try to stop myself from downloading Grand Order, because I'm not good at keeping up with phone games and I'll likely just leave it nearly immediately anyways).

Anyways, did better subs come out? I tried to check the new episode earlier and the subs were horrendous.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I agree with this. I basically only come to this thread for that, so having a thread specifically for it would help (as I try to stop myself from downloading Grand Order, because I'm not good at keeping up with phone games and I'll likely just leave it nearly immediately anyways).

Anyways, did better subs come out? I tried to check the new episode earlier and the subs were horrendous.

UTW are the ones with the better subs. Yeah, their release is out

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

El Burbo posted:

UTW are the ones with the better subs. Yeah, their release is out

Thank you! Watching it with subs that are properly timed and don't seem to be machine-translated definitely is a lot better.

Also good: Mordred. She's very cool. I hope she keeps being that cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fate/apocrypha is fun and also is going to be a constant reminder to me to finish f/ha

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I made a thread for the anime, cause I was bored

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826397

I pressed the submit button without writing the name, rip

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/yucajanai/status/885400975334195200

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, "Wind" and "Air" are separate element things in the Type-Moon universe's magic system?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's supposed to be Ether and they hosed up translation

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The translation for GO is p bad in general when it comes to the menus and item descriptions.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Very TM related
https://twitter.com/mobblele/status/886157197708673024
https://twitter.com/ManyLumberjacks/status/886283096697565184
https://twitter.com/ThatOneBard/status/886277042450333696

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is unlimited blade works considered to be better than Fate zero? I found unlimited blade works to be kinda uneven and all over the place in tone. Maybe it was too short?

I thought Saber would be more angry considering the events in the past but she barely seemed to acknowledge shirou and his dad. Whats up with that? And why do they keep killing kids jeez.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How is UBW too short? Did you accidentally watch the movie?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tae posted:

How is UBW too short? Did you accidentally watch the movie?

Yeah, poo poo, it's 26 episodes and all the extra scenes in the bluray release bumps that runtime to 30. How is that too short?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Sorry I meant there seems to be more stories to explore I guess. Fate zero felt more complete to me. I didnt play the games/novels though so I'm not sure.