Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Uthor posted:

I bought the cheapest socket set at HF to stash at work so I can unbolt things without having to run to the shop and borrow tools. Holy hell, this is the cheapest, shittiest case I've ever seen. It's just a single very thin piece of plastic roughly molded into the shape of the sockets. It's super inaccurate and super flexible. Oh well, $5!

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-and-1-4-quarter-inch-drive-socket-set-47902.html

I also got the $2 multi screwdriver. Don't have an opinion on it, yet, but I'm annoyed that I could have gotten it for free if I waited three days.

I have one of those. Most of the sockets have burrs that get in the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Can confirm above, I bought the same set to keep in the house so I wouldn't have to run out to the garage if we need to tighten a nut/bolt and so my 1/4" drive set wouldn't get left inside. Works in a pinch but wouldn't want to use it as a primary tool.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I should have said, I was at HF to get a plumb bob (the sockets and screwdriver were an impulse buy). Somehow, they managed to mess it up. They drilled the hole for the string diagonally from the center top through to the side. No matter how you route and tie the string, it will be slightly off from the center of mass and hang at a very slight angle. If you drill a hole straight through the side (assuming it's in line with the centerline), you could get it to hang straight and it would probably cost less to manufacture.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Uthor posted:

I should have said, I was at HF to get a plumb bob (the sockets and screwdriver were an impulse buy). Somehow, they managed to mess it up. They drilled the hole for the string diagonally from the center top through to the side. No matter how you route and tie the string, it will be slightly off from the center of mass and hang at a very slight angle. If you drill a hole straight through the side (assuming it's in line with the centerline), you could get it to hang straight and it would probably cost less to manufacture.

Leave it to HF to screw up a simple weight/plumb bob that defies gravity.

Steps for shopping at HF:

1) Clip 20% coupon and any other freebie coupons. Think of it like the lottery, you might find another flashlight.
2) Hold breath before walking indoors to avoid decaying chemical/rubber smell.
3) Spend a few bucks more to get the Pittsburgh Pro stuff if you need hand tools.
4) Anything electric, you are on your own.
5) Be nice to cashier and they will bend over backwards to help you shove through any coupon.
6) Don't expect much.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Uthor posted:

...I was at HF to get a plumb bob ... Somehow, they managed to mess it up.

For a whopping $2 more you can get an actual working brass plumb bob.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OYGQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I needed one that day and with all the other inaccuracies in my measurements, I can live with it. Just found it funny.

Guess I could have stopped at Lowes. Didn't even think about it!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have any suggestions on rollaway toolboxes? I don't need the Snap-On logo or anything, but I do want to get one that I won't have to replace. By that I mean I want a beefy sonofabitch, with good bearings in the trays, something super solid.

Trouble is, I've never worked in a shop environment where I could poke a bunch of different ones, (I carried mine in a canvas bag, uphill both ways in the sweltering heat snow,) so I really don't know how they stack up. Looking for something between 36 and 60" wide cabinet, probably to the smaller end of that scale, with a tool chest on top. I could forgo the chest if it's a wider roller with bigger drawers at the bottom for power tools and the like.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
HF tool chest is pretty good

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 9, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Anybody know of a good/cheap way to pick up the individual sockets I'm missing? Just pick them up in a store, or is there a good source online?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I normally just buy them in a store if it's something available individually, though quite often I've found some items only available in kits, and had to find someone selling split-out separates on ebay.

Depends precisely what it is and how fussy you are about matching the brand of what you currently own.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

MrYenko posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on rollaway toolboxes?

Harborfreight 44" is the best bang for your buck, the whole US General line is pretty heavy duty for the price. The higher end Husky benches are good too.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna second the 44". Really good. Lost my dang keys though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the 44" cabinet with the top box and am really happy with it so I'll third that suggestion. Both pieces are on sale pretty often so I wouldn't pay full price unless you're in a big hurry HF coupon database

um excuse me posted:

Gonna second the 44". Really good. Lost my dang keys though.
I haven't tried but you can probably impression those lovely locks in a few seconds and effectively have a key again. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...id=7913O71EZU8H

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 9, 2017

coathat
May 21, 2007

Anybody bit the bullet on the new harbor freight 12v ratchet? It's kinda tempting at 80 bucks

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

I too have the HF 44 and it's pretty nice. I'll probably get the top chest or side attachment sooner or later.

If you want a pro-grade one, Proto's are apparently quite nice.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

coathat posted:

Anybody bit the bullet on the new harbor freight 12v ratchet? It's kinda tempting at 80 bucks

It's not that cheap. The Milwaukee m12 ratchet is only $10 more bare. CPO even throws it in as a bonus occasionally.

$200 got me a 12v Fuel hammer drill, hex impact, two batteries and that ratchet like 6 months ago.

coathat
May 21, 2007

None of those tools interest me in the slightest so if it actually is cheap.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nitsuga posted:

Anybody know of a good/cheap way to pick up the individual sockets I'm missing? Just pick them up in a store, or is there a good source online?

If it's just a couple, ebay. I've had good luck finding Craftsman sockets and wrenches for $2-4 each, probably from someone who cleaned out a dying sears. The couple that I've grabbed have been brand new and USA-made, but I'd imagine that's not something you can count on. A bit cheaper than in-store, and the shipping is free, so I consider it a pretty decent option if you just need odds and ends.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

bolind posted:

I *need* a picture of that gun.

Thats next to its little brother the 1/4" tek gun...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

coathat posted:

None of those tools interest me in the slightest so if it actually is cheap.

I think his point was for a few bucks more you get a tool that has a 3 year warranty and has a well defined battery class along with a shitload of other tools you might need a use for in the future and build off on.

With the HF you get a 90 day warranty and their battery situation is in a mess with their different lines. Seems to be no convergence at this time but as they move upscale they will cause a disruption.

Now back to the ratchet. Looks like a good one and should be a monster...the infamous AC Delco knock-off.

So in short:

Pro's:

1) Supposedly should outperform most other ratchets based on performance.
2) Batteries are much cheaper.

Con's:
1) Probably will be hung out to dry once HF figures out and standardizes the battery strategy.
2) Probably need to tack on the $20 instant replacement fee that brings it closer to the name brands cost for piece of mind. (Granted, need to take in battery cost which is a pro)

tl;dr If you are shooting to use one tool with not much future need for others it will probably serve your needs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Thats next to its little brother the 1/4" tek gun...

Giggling like a school boy here... that looks beyond awesome.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Milwaukee warranty is no joke. My friend has the m18 1/2 impact and 5 out of the 6 guys in our shop use it multiple times a week it's been used and abused and the switch finally poo poo the bed. He dropped it off a a place called coastal tool, here in CT and a week later it came back fixed and they even put a new skin on it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
For all you tool polishers out there: a Stahlwille socket set restoration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ULUw5gtzj4

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Here's an unusual 'tool' for you. Work has 3d printers, so I get to print custom parts to keep my 32-year-old ATV's plastic all together

I'm going to print a slightly better revision, then glue it to reinforce the plastic/frame mount point. Technology is awesome!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't think my Harbor Freight likes me. Went there to buy a 46" tool chest. Measured the box and realized it would fit in my Prius albeit barely, but it would fit. They refused to load it saying that they were afraid to damage the vehicle and offered to ship (+$96). I asked to load it myself but they said it was too big and wouldn't let me, mumbling something about liability. It was a 140lb box. Pain in the rear end but doable. Then they suggested I go rent a truck from Home Depot instead. I just told them that Home Depot had effectively the same toolchest at the same price (they do) and that I just wanted a refund. Got the stinkeye from them. Bonus points the cashier mentioned something about "didn't want to jew you" when the refund price initially didn't match up to the original. Awesome guys.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nice. Kinda surprised they wouldn't let me do a drat thing with it. I've fit tons of big stuff in the Prius, they open up a lot with everything folded down and the measurements were fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

That Works posted:

They refused to load it saying that they were afraid to damage the vehicle and offered to ship (+$96). I asked to load it myself but they said it was too big and wouldn't let me, mumbling something about liability. It was a 140lb box. Pain in the rear end but doable.
Hahaha, we went and collected a 500lb engine in my mate's Audi A4 last month. I assume it was in some kind of cardboard packaging so it wouldn't scratch stuff?

That Works posted:

Bonus points the cashier mentioned something about "didn't want to jew you" when the refund price initially didn't match up to the original.
Ohhhhhhkay then.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Hahaha, we went and collected a 500lb engine in my mate's Audi A4 last month. I assume it was in some kind of cardboard packaging so it wouldn't scratch stuff?

It was, measured it in the packaging and it would fit albeit barely but I was willing to give it a go. Just venting here because I had about the shittiest day possible at work and then stuck in traffic to get to the store before going home then all for nothing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's a bit poo poo, yeah. Surprised you couldn't just grab a random person to help put it in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Uhhhh how were they even involved? Tell them to leave, go inside and you'll handle it.

I'd call corporate. It's not their business how you load your personal vehicle, and that's ridiculous anyway. A vehicle that seats 5 can't handle a 140lb load?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Uhhhh how were they even involved? Tell them to leave, go inside and you'll handle it.

I'd call corporate. It's not their business how you load your personal vehicle, and that's ridiculous anyway. A vehicle that seats 5 can't handle a 140lb load?

It was at the loading dock and was a worker and someone with a supervisor badge. Nowhere near the parking lot etc so it was just me and them.

They said something 1st about they didn't want to load it because it would damage the vehicle then they said they wouldn't let me lift it because of liability or somesuch, kinda mumbled that one to me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Call corporate on em, especially for the Jew remark.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anything to keep an eye out for on Amazon prime day?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

always be closing posted:

Anything to keep an eye out for on Amazon prime day?

Looks pretty meager on the tool front. 20% off We're, nbd. They show a Bosch offer with cordless tools pictures, but lovely corded options when you click through.

I got the 55" lovely 4k tv for my kid's playroom, that's all I really saw with any real "deal" component at $399, but idk if that's even any good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For UK guys, the Bosch PSB1800 drill with two batteries is down to £47 (under half price). I have one and like it, and that's a really good deal.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody have experience with Harbor Freight's engine hoists?

I'm pulling a Subaru H6 and think i should be able to get away with the 1-ton, since it can lift 500lbs 50" out. Is there any compelling reason to get the 2-ton? I can't imagine I'll ever pull anything heavier than a 500lb LM7.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

That Works posted:

I don't think my Harbor Freight likes me. Went there to buy a 46" tool chest. Measured the box and realized it would fit in my Prius albeit barely, but it would fit. They refused to load it saying that they were afraid to damage the vehicle and offered to ship (+$96). I asked to load it myself but they said it was too big and wouldn't let me, mumbling something about liability. It was a 140lb box. Pain in the rear end but doable. Then they suggested I go rent a truck from Home Depot instead. I just told them that Home Depot had effectively the same toolchest at the same price (they do) and that I just wanted a refund. Got the stinkeye from them. Bonus points the cashier mentioned something about "didn't want to jew you" when the refund price initially didn't match up to the original. Awesome guys.

I bought the 26" and the top from harbor freight, and loaded it into an RSX. They didn't say a thing!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

monsterzero posted:

Anybody have experience with Harbor Freight's engine hoists?

I'm pulling a Subaru H6 and think i should be able to get away with the 1-ton, since it can lift 500lbs 50" out. Is there any compelling reason to get the 2-ton? I can't imagine I'll ever pull anything heavier than a 500lb LM7.

I borrowed one. It functioned but leaked and it was pretty scary to lower since the difference between "holding" and "falling" was like a 1/16th turn.

Do you have an exposed beam available? The HF beam trolley+manual chain hoist works very well and it's much easier to store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Recommendations for a good set of pliers for installing Oetiker style ear clamps for 3/4" plastic tubing for an irrigation system?