Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's a notable difference I feel between the kind of "survivalism" shown in Dawn of the Dead- where it's a broad plot device used as a way to usher the characters into the mall- and the kind of Gritty Realism and Hard Choices of The Walking Dead and so on.

In Dawn, the characters on the run are running out of food and fuel and water, and so there's a mall, and that solves it. The danger is not running out, or really any threat from outside, the danger is their attachment. Even in the final act- there's a clear window for the survivors to just get in the chopper and leave the mall to the bikers, but first they think "let's not make it easy for them", and Steven starts thinking "This is ours! We took it!" and everything goes to Hell.

Stuff like the Walking Dead is often predicated on this idea that the ruthless assholes will always have an advantage, characters like the Governor and the guy with the bat can blow in and murder people, and the "softer" protagonists have to make big sacrifices or become hardened to survive- there's always this edge of "compassion is a weakness". Survivors stop to celebrate a teenage girl's birthday? Oops, she gets her throat torn out. Another girl wanders off and the survivors stop to look for her? Oops, they get trapped at a weird zombie farm. Better to just have moved on eh?

Romero ultimately deals in morality plays- the EC Comics influence is always there, even when the outcome is tragic like the original Night, it's not because good is dumb, it's because of a failure in the basic bonds and connections of society. That's the scary part, not where you'll get supplies from when the apocalypse happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The problem is that nerds are bad.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cacator posted:

God drat it, Stalker is playing at my local art house theatre this weekend but I don't know if I can make either showing. Is it worth abandoning friends, family and a social life to see it on a big screen? :ohdear:

Follow up: I was able to attend the second screening of Stalker and it was indeed very worth it, save the one obnoxious person in the theatre who kept struggling to blow their nose throughout the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was wholly unprepared for whatever House is :psypop:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was wholly unprepared for whatever House is :psypop:

Hauuuuusu. The director mostly worked in advertising and did what his three (four?) year old daughter advised him to. Check out the short film in the special features and the interview - they're definitely worth a watch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Key to understanding House is the fact that the Japanese movie industry was in the crapper and Toho told the director "Here's this script we don't get, but everything we thought would be a hit failed, so do whatever you want."

You should also watch its stylistic predecessor, Godzilla vs Hedorah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Two days to the sale!!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Key to understanding House is the fact that the Japanese movie industry was in the crapper and Toho told the director "Here's this script we don't get, but everything we thought would be a hit failed, so do whatever you want."

I love Hedorah, it's easily my favorite showa Godzilla flick. I knew about the wacky Scooby-Doo-esque plot and ghosts, but what threw me for a loop was how it's shot. Everything is framed like a literal manga/comic panel and it's incredibly jarring for the first twenty or so minutes. Such a bonkers movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It also was extremely successful and Toho didn't want it's youthful energy to be a trend so they buried it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

With the sale coming up, I just wanted to plug the Pierre Etaix set. It's one of the great unknown gems Criterion has released. The Suitor and Le Grand Amour are both amazing comedies. The Suitor is like Etaix remade a lost Buster Keaton film, while Le Grand Amour is like a kinder, gentler Bunuel (not surprising since both were co-written by Jean-Claude Carriere). Also, Yoyo is pretty much a big love letter to Fellini and Chaplin.

It's light on extras, but it has a lengthy booklet, an hour-long documentary on Etaix (made by his wife), and intros on all the films by Etaix. It's also the only Criterion release I know of where the director personally created the packaging artwork. Not surprisingly since he was a talented graphic designer and designed the original posters for Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle (the latter of which he was also assistant director on).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The problem is that nerds are bad.

I think this is reductive. Many of our favorite directors would absolutely qualify as nerds by any standard- Carpenter is a huge gamer and Romero is, as mentioned, an EC Comics fanboy. The problem is that nerds are uniquely susceptible to the Dunning-Kruger effect due to their interests being coded by society as "for smart people," so even the biggest loving smoothbrains in a particular area of nerd interest tend to think they're geniuses, which makes them very unpleasant to deal with.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think this is reductive.

reductive??

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

nerds are bad for a shitload of different reasons, not just one. For example, go to the Criterion sub-reddit and ask the best way to organise your collection and watch a debate on the semantics of spine-number vs alphabetical vs chronological vs spine-colour stretch on for hours

e: Before anyone asks, the best way to order them is by the director's rating on the Kinsey scale

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I, Butthole posted:

nerds are bad for a shitload of different reasons, not just one. For example, go to the Criterion sub-reddit and ask the best way to organise your collection and watch a debate on the semantics of spine-number vs alphabetical vs chronological vs spine-colour stretch on for hours

e: Before anyone asks, the best way to order them is by the director's rating on the Kinsey scale

I prefer reverse-alphabetical by the second letter in the editor's first name.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Are you well-actuallying me on my joke post

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been doing them by country, then grouping a director's films together, and then putting similar genres together for those with one director.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just do them by spine number. I just presume the lower the number, the more important the film.

This is of course means Armageddon is the 40th most important film ever made, which is important but not quite as important as the 16th most important film ever made- Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I organize them by the number of visible nipples in the movie.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't organize them.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I organize them by number of spines ripped out

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I organise Criterions according to the principles of theology and geometry, and I make an occasional cheese dip.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
kill everyone

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SubG posted:

I make an occasional cheese dip.

John Toole?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I organize them by the number of visible nipples in the movie.

So what's the first movie in your order?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Detective No. 27 posted:

So what's the first movie in your order?

Derek Jarman's Blue. The last movie is Salo, obviously.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Derek Jarman's Blue. The last movie is Salo, obviously.

Any discrimination in female vs male nipples on display? Is it based on screentime % or just volume?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I, Butthole posted:

Any discrimination in female vs male nipples on display? Is it based on screentime % or just volume?

Number of individual appearances, from least to most nipples (what troglodyte would sort from most to least)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watching Pan's Labyrinth's commentary right now. Wow Guil is doing a great job with this one going in depth into both themes and symbolism and also production. Do his other movies have such commentary also?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems silly to not organise something by number when they all have numbers on the spine. Then you just end up with a bunch of numbers in a jumbled-up order

oh god I'm one of those people aren't I

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Seems silly to not organise something by number when they all have numbers on the spine. Then you just end up with a bunch of numbers in a jumbled-up order

oh god I'm one of those people aren't I

The order seems just as jumbled when you only own like 20-30 Criterions in a collection of 500+, I'd only go the numbered route if I really had an extensive collection of maybe 200+.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I keep mine in a big cd binder after throwing out the cases. I have a tupperware for the booklets.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

business hammocks posted:

I keep mine in a big cd binder after throwing out the cases. I have a tupperware for the booklets.

I do this too since I've moved 3 times in the last couple years and gently caress boxing all that poo poo up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Even if it's a nice digipak like Dr. Strangelove or Moonrise Kingdom?!?!?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Recycle plz

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basebf555 posted:

Even if it's a nice digipak like Dr. Strangelove or Moonrise Kingdom?!?!?

Even nice boxes take up space (I kept the box for the Zatoichi set because it's so pretty).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You monster. :magical:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I do this too since I've moved 3 times in the last couple years and gently caress boxing all that poo poo up

Having all my movies all organized and looking nice on a shelf is important to me, I don't care if I have to box stuff up when I move (which I just did 2 months ago).

I'm also one of those weirdos who seeks out special edition cases, steelbooks, digipaks, etc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I convert all my Criterions to 720p/192kbs mp4 files, then throw away the entire package with the disc inside.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I read the booklet once then throw everything away and download the movie from Pirate Bay

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I actually do want to rip all my movies to a hard drive make some kind of server setup for streaming, but there's not really an elegant solution that will preserve picture quality yet. And I want to keep all the menu screens and extras, although I guess I only really like commentary tracks, generally speaking.

Maybe when there's like a 10tb ssd out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I study the box in the store, imagine the movie, and then leave without purchasing it.