Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

i just played a round and the end of round highlight screen is gone? what the heck?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Philman posted:

i just played a round and the end of round highlight screen is gone? what the heck?!

Your individual contributions to the team are irrelevant comrade, now back to the front.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah I miss that stat screen too, that was nice.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah I miss that stat screen too, that was nice.

Very Nice actually.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I cannot stop using limpets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3mklP-miM

A bug I've stumbled across is an explosion will cut out sound and the game becomes silent apart from fragmented audio and popping noises. I found standing near another explosion that triggers ear ringing or changing in-game audio settings will resolve it. :dice:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I like to pretend the soldier your playing just lost his eardrums.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The issue I have about the sound bug is that the pops are blasts of static and it's a surefire way to hurt my ears if I don't take my headphones off immediately. I've experienced significantly less obnoxious sound bugs in other games, usually when there's too many sounds playing at once. I wonder if it has anything to do with dice trying a little harder to fix silent gun death or bayonet charges.

On the note of playing pretend, I've rotated over to the Lewis gun and pretending I'm using a BC2 era peashooter as it seems to win fights when you catch people pants down and beat them over the head with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cIIiN_dFY

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So I want to buy this game. DO I need the season pass to play online (like does everyone play the pass levels, or?)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The DLC maps are all extremely good but there's tons of people playing the normal rotation, so hold off and if you like the base game enough spring for the season pass

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

SoftNum posted:

So I want to buy this game. DO I need the season pass to play online (like does everyone play the pass levels, or?)

Dice also has a not-widely-advertised DLC "trial" where if you are in a party with someone who does have the season pass (premium), you can play on the DLC maps but don't get exp. So if your friends have Premium you can still play with them. :)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I encourage all of you to play with the Howitzer light tank package as much as you can before DICE realises it needs a nerf. That thing is such a beast, and I love it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

I encourage all of you to play with the Howitzer light tank package as much as you can before DICE realises it needs a nerf. That thing is such a beast, and I love it.

Did it recently get a buff?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Anti-Hero posted:

Did it recently get a buff?

I think that from day 1 it had a light mg as the main weapon by accident. They very recently corrected it to heavy mg.
Also they gave you full 360 degrees freelook in 3rd person. Before that as it was the only variant with a fixed turret, you had to turn the entire tank to look around. So yeh it's massively better and a laugh on Suez for wrecking buildings in one shot.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Riflen posted:

I think that from day 1 it had a light mg as the main weapon by accident. They very recently corrected it to heavy mg.
Also they gave you full 360 degrees freelook in 3rd person. Before that as it was the only variant with a fixed turret, you had to turn the entire tank to look around. So yeh it's massively better and a laugh on Suez for wrecking buildings in one shot.

What? I can't look around freely in 3rd person? That's the one main weakness it has. If you're up against decent assault players, you really have to be mobile.

Also, using it on Amiens Operations is simply the best.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

BigglesSWE posted:

What? I can't look around freely in 3rd person? That's the one main weakness it has. If you're up against decent assault players, you really have to be mobile.

Also, using it on Amiens Operations is simply the best.

Could it be you need to check the setting in the gameplay options to disconnect view controls from vehicle aiming? Dunno. I'll have to look up the patch notes to be certain but I'm fairly sure I'm not imagining it.

edit: from May patch notes

Howitzer Tank:

o Corrected primary weapon to HMG as shown in customization, this was actually LMG. The more powerful HMG should help offset its limited firing arc when compared to the Coaxial LMG of the Close Support Variant.

o Added third person freelook to the FT Howitzer Variant. Missed this one with the other tanks because the normal version has a turret that can rotate 360 anyway.

Looks like DICE forgot about that gameplay option too. Shocking, lol.

Riflen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 5, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I think you need to hold your freelook button. You still can't shoot behind you

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the howitzer light tank is great because the howitzer utterly demolishes enemy tanks. often you'll take no damage when facing heavy or assault tanks because they're so shocked that a light tank took out 40% of their health with one shell

honestly i'm not a fan of the hmg, it feels like it has a worse spread than the lmg which makes it harder to mow down infantry with. still, extremely effective - just don't bother using the howitzer against infantry targets, it has poo poo splash for :dice: reasons

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the LMG is objectively better than the HMG, which is part of why the artillery truck is so strong

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the LMG is objectively better than the HMG, which is part of why the artillery truck is so strong

I get a solid majority of my arty truck kills with the LMG, instead of the main armament. Infantry don't associate the frontal 75° of it being dangerous even if the main isn't pointing at you, which gives you the time to kill them outright before they can get to cover. It's doubly hilarious to go AA bang bang on an airplane, get kills, switch to the LMG, get another one or two, go back to the AA and kill another airplane, and repeat until you get rushed by twelve people who rage-switched to assault, just to kill you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The HMG overheats quicker and is worse, even if it does do slightly more damage per shot.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Huh, the old highlights screen is back, however.....its showing emblems and not avatars.

Certainly lends credence to the theory that they were getting sick of banning alt-right-neo-nazi avatars.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Snuffman posted:

Huh, the old highlights screen is back, however.....its showing emblems and not avatars.

Certainly lends credence to the theory that they were getting sick of banning alt-right-neo-nazi avatars.

I've seen more neo-Nazi player emblems than I have Origin avatars.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Yeah, I have seen far more nazi emblems than avatars. You'd get banned if anyone came across your avatar but players have to have origin in-game enabled or deal with terrible UI to report your emblem.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you can report emblems from the scoreboard

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

BBJoey posted:

the howitzer light tank is great because the howitzer utterly demolishes enemy tanks. often you'll take no damage when facing heavy or assault tanks because they're so shocked that a light tank took out 40% of their health with one shell

I know it's so much fun! Takes out a light tank in like two hits, which is always satisfying when you're up against a flanker package. And against anything bigger than a light tank, the first shot always seem to at least disable a track or weapon. I love to imagine the 100SS Heavy Tank splerg spill his Mountain Dew in shock every time that happens.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BBJoey posted:

you can report emblems from the scoreboard

Yep, always be scoreboard reporting!

I have a theory the players with the really lovely psuedo nazi looking looking symbols are former swastika emblem holders.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Is there a decent short-medium range medic gun? I'm constantly getting wasted by shotgun dudes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Glass of Milk posted:

Is there a decent short-medium range medic gun? I'm constantly getting wasted by shotgun dudes.

Auto .25 Extended and 1907 SL would be your best bet. Slight hat tip to the Mondragon Storm as well for being solid at everything. I prefer the Sweeper variant of the 1907 for the slightly better recoil characteristics.

FrozenMeats
Apr 28, 2003

Preserved for the ages.

Glass of Milk posted:

The thing with good shotguns is they have (if they're within ~15m and don't miss) an effective time to kill of 0 because they can 1-shot you, so it doesn't matter what you have. If they're in your face and and don't miss you're going to die. If they're low health you might take them with you. It's more down to situational awareness and positioning to avoid that. As a medic you want to be at medium range ideally.

There's no perfect medic gun, so it depends what you're going for...

Short Range Magdumping: Autoloading 8 .25 Extended
The Autoloading 8s have the fastest fire rate of all medic guns and will shred people at close range. The .25 drops to 4-shots after only 18m, then 5 at 28m, but has a 16-round magazine. It is the closest thing medics have to a shotgun. The .35 keeps a 3-shot kill up to 46m, but only has 5 rounds. It's technically the best gun for rapidly murdering 1 person, but be prepared to use your pistol a lot.

Best Short/Med Range: M1907 SL Sweeper
Probably the best all around gun. 3-shot kills up to 26m and a 21-round magazine. Usable at longer ranges but not terribly accurate, and 5 shots to kill beyond 40m. Can wipe a whole squad with one clip.

Best Med/Long Range: Debatable
Depends on your playstyle. I prefer the RSC Factory, which has excellent iron sights, accuracy, is a 2-shot kill to 46m and only 3 shots beyond that. Its weaknesses are a small clip (6) and massive recoil. I could also make a case for the Selbstlader M1916 Marksman, which is a 3-shot kill at all ranges and has a 26(!) round magazine. The downside is all of the sniper/marksman variants are fittingly terrible in close combat.

(fake edit: Beaten by a rubber duck... at least we're of the same opinion)

FrozenMeats fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
You mean the Selbstlader 1916 marksman. The 1906 is a 5 shot rifle. The 1906 sniper is the best long range medic rifle. It's just as medic you should never take a weapon that's only good at extreme ranges.

FrozenMeats
Apr 28, 2003

Preserved for the ages.

Riflen posted:

You mean the Selbstlader 1916 marksman. The 1906 is a 5 shot rifle. The 1906 sniper is the best long range medic rifle. It's just as medic you should never take a weapon that's only good at extreme ranges.

Whoops, you're right. Fixed. The 1906 is a mediocre weapon at best due to the clip size. I unlocked them, but I can't ever see a situation where I'd want to use them. The new medic gun in the Russian expansion though... I really want to try that out.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
The Cei Regati Trench is also really good for close range hipfire as it has auto mode.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
The grind to unlock the 1906 Sniper nearly broke my spirit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

do not insult the 1906, the nice gun for good boys, in this thread

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Having to do 25 rifle grenade kills seems like a chore and I hate having to play medic with only a heal or revive gadget.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 9, 2017

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

BBJoey posted:

do not insult the 1906, the nice gun for good boys, in this thread

The 1906 is a cool rifle for cool people. Just pretend you have to fire all 5 rounds every time you shoot it and you'll have fun.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Having to do 25 rifle grenade kills seems like a chore and I hate having to play medic either without a way to heal or revive others.

That was just the cherry on the shitcake. Yeah the 1906 is very accurate, but the fact it only has 5 bullets, takes ages to reload and when you shoot the last bullet that little metal thingy pops up, obscuring your vision made me really hate it. Practically useless in close combat, i promotes a very defensive playstyle where you hang back like some sort of cheap wal-mart wookie. But guess what? That's not where you wanna be as medic, you wanna be with your mans to heal and stick em.
Anyway, I finally unlocked the Sniper variant which I will never use, but there where some great moments with the 1906, like outsniping a sniper.

Welp, back to the sweeper.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I use the 1906 almost exactly the same as the Autoloading .35 factory, which is almost exclusively for close range. It's fantastic if you mag dump as fast as you can fire. Not quite as good at that task as the Autoloading .35 but it has a huge range advantage over the Autoloading. You need to pop your 5 rounds off and hide during the reload. Also get good with sidearms. I totally understand anyone who doesn't like the 1906 but it's a lot of fun. I'm a weirdo who almost exclusively uses the lebel infantry so maybe don't listen to me and use whatever you find enjoyable. Games are supposed to be fun, right?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm playing through the trial now and boy am I bad. Are the starter weapons just poo poo? I seem to get a drop on people and they still kill be before I take them out....

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah for the most part the starter weapons aren't ideal. They have their uses but are mostly outshined by other weapons. Also don't forget some people have been playing this game since release and are loving good. Just get a feel for the maps and rank up. Once you get the class you like to rank 3 you'll be able to unlock some great guns.

Edit: you can get a lot of XP without being good at killing people. Cap objectives, heal, revive, give ammo, destroy vehicles, drop spot flares in large fights. You'll often see players who go like 5-20 much higher on the leaderboard than people who go 40-4 because they're playing the objectives and helping their team instead of picking people off.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 9, 2017