Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

RatHat posted:

Ok I found out what happened. What Udalryk actually does is discard a card and then draw the top card of your deck. Since Ciri: Dash goes back into your deck there's a chance it can be the top card.

What a bizarre interaction, pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ugh I am not a fan of the way this meta feels so far. Every game just feels like it comes down to which player drew scorch and / or Gigni in their opening hand. Like I literally have not played against a single person since the patch that wasn't running Gigni, it's a little absurd. Having to play around those two cards at all times just feels so clunky and drawn-out, and there are way less people playing anything that actually interacts with the opponent's board in other ways.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I crafted premium vilgefortz, it's loving amazing looking and he's just generally a great card.

Weather is definitely a lot worse now, there is no way to make it not low tempo. When your average bronze is getting 9-12 value, 6+2/turn at best (with many ways to disrupt) needs an ideal situation to come out on top. That's the best case scenario -- if you have to hard cast bronze weather you are in big trouble. Stuff like caranthir and woodland spirit can still be good because they are high tempo and set up non-weather related combos. On the other hand I'm seeing very little weather clear. Honestly the weather changes probably hit spell decks the worst, without massive weather damage you can't afford to not play units. Adepts and hounds are still OK so long as you don't overload on bronze weather, it isn't like before where more frost = more better.

Also skellige storm suffers a lot from the aeromancy nerf, it gets a lot better the more times you can play it.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I still see white frost and skellige storm alot, but almost no bronze weathers. and I ain't seen a gold weather card in like a month (i aint complaining)

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Weather is still very common at high mmr, coming from the 3.8k-3.9k range I can say that it's pretty common to run into monsters decks and the occasional northern realms that runs weather. The thing about bronze weather is the cards are usually bad when played from the hand, but still useful when played by some other card. For example dagon with foglets is still 12 points on the board + 2 damage per turn, which is pretty strong, especially now that fewer people are running clears. I've even seen a couple people running gold weather again, though I'm chalking that up to people experimenting, for now.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh I am not a fan of the way this meta feels so far. Every game just feels like it comes down to which player drew scorch and / or Gigni in their opening hand. Like I literally have not played against a single person since the patch that wasn't running Gigni, it's a little absurd. Having to play around those two cards at all times just feels so clunky and drawn-out, and there are way less people playing anything that actually interacts with the opponent's board in other ways.

You should always play around scorch, it might be more popular now than it was a week or two ago, but it's one of those cards that just defines the way the game is played. Same goes with igni, the card goes in and out of favour, it just happens to be in right now because popular decks are leaning heavily on buffs and huge bronze units, so its very easy to get value out of it atm. So this means even if you aren't playing one of those decks, you always need to play around igni. But the card's never been unpopular so it's a good idea to do this anyway.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
lol just lol if you're not running geralt igni + scorch + mardro in every deck

General Morden fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 9, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

(my screenshot sucks but I'm up a round here)

How the gently caress do you make this pass? I can't tell if he's a genius or an utter moron.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Really want to make the Ciri dash discard deck but I literally do not have a skellige gold

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

King Pawn posted:

(my screenshot sucks but I'm up a round here)

How the gently caress do you make this pass? I can't tell if he's a genius or an utter moron.

I don't get it. Did you win round 1 or something? If I'm facing a spell deck and I'm +23 with 34 in gold value while already 2 cards ahead I'd pass too.

edit: anyway what's the difference, you literally can't win that round

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 9, 2017

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Necromancy needs a value floor

It would be at most a viable tech card if it was a silver swallow potion that banished a card in the graveyard

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't get it. Did you win round 1 or something? If I'm facing a spell deck and I'm +23 with 34 in gold value while already 2 cards ahead I'd pass too.

edit: anyway what's the difference, you literally can't win that round

Yes I won round 1 like I said. From his point of view, I only need to make 12 points from 3 unknown cards to win on the spot. If I have one of my Redanian Knights in hand, I just win. Gotta give the guy credit for a ballsy read, I guess?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

95% of the time when someone plays Ciri they intend to pass next time it's their turn.

Or maybe he forgot what round it is, I do that all the time because I'm usually watching TV or shitposting on the internet at the same time.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

King Pawn posted:

Yes I won round 1 like I said. From his point of view, I only need to make 12 points from 3 unknown cards to win on the spot. If I have one of my Redanian Knights in hand, I just win. Gotta give the guy credit for a ballsy read, I guess?

I think you need more than 12 points. He probably knows that the only thing to close that gap is baron, and radovid decks don't keep it for r2. You have bigger dudes on board so no scorches or villen. He read the game good.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

I think you need more than 12 points. He probably knows that the only thing to close that gap is baron, and radovid decks don't keep it for r2. You have bigger dudes on board so no scorches or villen. He read the game good.

No he doesn't. Radovid is 5 body plus 6 damage on that board. He needs to make 12 with three cards that his opponent doesn't know. It's a really dumb pass that happened to work out this time.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

95% of the time when someone plays Ciri they intend to pass next time it's their turn.

It doesn't really matter what I intended, even if I was planning to pass I would happily change that plan to win the game..

Electronico6 posted:

I'm 23 behind. He knows I have Radovid, which is worth 11 immediately. I only need to tie the round to win the game, so I need 12 points of stuff in my last 3 cards. I don't need baron to do that at all - you can see my remaining cards, Vernon/Reinforcement/2x Knight over one of my dead removal spells would all be sufficient.

It's definitely an extreme risk. The question is if his game position is bad enough to justify such a risk, and.. maybe? Currently I have last say in round 3 with Borkh/Baron, so I definitely felt favoured. This way (if his gamble works) he gets to be a card up in round 3 and takes away my last say. It's an interesting spot, which is why I posted it :)

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I've been having fun with a stupid Iris Dagon deck:

3 x Earth Dudes
3 x Cel Harpy
3 x Foglet
2 x Fog
2 x Thunderbolt Potion
Iris
Water Hag
Operator
Commander Horn
Cow
Decoy
Triss Butterfly
Renew
Caretaker
Ge'els

At round end, all your deathwish guys spawn: and if Iris wasn't already dead, she buffs all your new harpies and little golems. It's dumb but fun!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

King Pawn posted:

It doesn't really matter what I intended, even if I was planning to pass I would happily change that plan to win the game..

I'm 23 behind. He knows I have Radovid, which is worth 11 immediately. I only need to tie the round to win the game, so I need 12 points of stuff in my last 3 cards. I don't need baron to do that at all - you can see my remaining cards, Vernon/Reinforcement/2x Knight over one of my dead removal spells would all be sufficient.

It's definitely an extreme risk. The question is if his game position is bad enough to justify such a risk, and.. maybe? Currently I have last say in round 3 with Borkh/Baron, so I definitely felt favoured. This way (if his gamble works) he gets to be a card up in round 3 and takes away my last say. It's an interesting spot, which is why I posted it :)

The question is could he have won r3 if he played on. Biggest mistakes Im coming across in 2.8k mmr area is only thinking about the current round and not looking ahead, its fairly easy to force mistakes in this area especially when you know the deck you are facing.

He might have read that if he plays on hes dead so hes taking the % chance you dont have it so he can contest r3. Or maybe not who knows

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Some guy in the hive of scum and villainy that is the Gwent discord posted some interesting analysis of the modified Elo rating system that Gwent uses. The tl;dr is:

Below 1k you can't lose points.
From 1k-4k the amount you "should" lose is reduced based on a sliding formula that gradually gets less lenient as you rank up.
Above 4k it works as a normal Elo system, except you are actually punished slightly more than normal for losses.

The K-value (which affects the size of both wins and losses) decreases somewhat when you pass 2k, 3.1k, 3.4k, 3.7k and 4k.

In graphical form:

Credit to "Rock" on the Gwent discord, whoever he is.

So basically if you're below 4k, just spam a bunch of games and you'll climb even with a crappy winrate. Then you'll hit a brick wall at 4k and get stuck with a bunch of other people unless you're skilled enough to maintain a significantly positive winrate.

E: The guy did a proper write-up with lots more detail https://imgur.com/a/LIGt9

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 9, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

King Pawn posted:

Some guy in the hive of scum and villainy that is the Gwent discord posted some interesting analysis of the modified Elo rating system that Gwent uses. The tl;dr is:

Below 1k you can't lose points.
From 1k-4k the amount you "should" lose is reduced based on a sliding formula that gradually gets less lenient as you rank up.
Above 4k it works as a normal Elo system, except you are actually punished slightly more than normal for losses.

The K-value (which affects the size of both wins and losses) decreases somewhat when you pass 2k, 3.1k, 3.4k, 3.7k and 4k.

In graphical form:

Credit to "Rock" on the Gwent discord, whoever he is.

So basically if you're below 4k, just spam a bunch of games and you'll climb even with a crappy winrate. Then you'll hit a brick wall at 4k and get stuck with a bunch of other people unless you're skilled enough to maintain a significantly positive winrate.

I think it's good. It reminds me of Hearthstone, with <4K being the pre-legendary ranks, but more obfuscated. I like that anyone who cares enough to play a lot should be able to get like 90% of the end of season rewards.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Alright, got up to 3.8k. :toot:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I've totally capped out at 3k although that might be a result of my need to constantly make new decks. I should just stick with one to get to level 16 ranked.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally crafted the three crones, now I should be able to play some consume decks...

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Turin Turambar posted:

I finally crafted the three crones, now I should be able to play some consume decks...
I've been playing consume with much success with no crones, I use;
D.bomb, scorch, grave hag, water hag, fiend, giant toad..
I used to run ghouls and katakan, vs the heavy revive graveyard unit decks to gobble their key pieces if I got lucky..
I really haven't crafted but 3-5 cards, been just using what I have, the only gold I've made is ge'els

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've been playing consume with much success with no crones, I use;
D.bomb, scorch, grave hag, water hag, fiend, giant toad..
I used to run ghouls and katakan, vs the heavy revive graveyard unit decks to gobble their key pieces if I got lucky..
I really haven't crafted but 3-5 cards, been just using what I have, the only gold I've made is ge'els

No Freightner? given the importance of card advantage if you want to guarantee grave hag?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Like I said, I haven't crafted much, I my make that next, still poor, self found, I haven't gamed their refund system at all or canibilized the other factions.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
An SK opponent cast 3 scorches then conceded round one. I guess when the only tool you have is a hammer...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I do expect a grave hag rework, not because it's OP but because it's a lot like CB weather in that it enormously punishes someone for not having CA.

I am loving the new MMR system. It's kind of hilarious that after several rounds of reworks they ended up at a system like Hearthstone - reaching rank 5 (~3.5k) is more or less inevitable and is mostly a function of time and from there you have to actually have a good winrate.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

I do expect a grave hag rework, not because it's OP but because it's a lot like CB weather in that it enormously punishes someone for not having CA.

I am loving the new MMR system. It's kind of hilarious that after several rounds of reworks they ended up at a system like Hearthstone - reaching rank 5 (~3.5k) is more or less inevitable and is mostly a function of time and from there you have to actually have a good winrate.

I like the new MMR system mostly, but having such a sharp valley at 4k seems weird. There's going to be a hell of a logjam there if they let it run another month like this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not really a logjam. It's not like the presence of other players makes it more difficult to climb. It's just going to be the point at which most players stop progressing, which is fine, there has to be one.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

It's not really a logjam. It's not like the presence of other players makes it more difficult to climb. It's just going to be the point at which most players stop progressing, which is fine, there has to be one.

It's just going to be weird going from #7000 to #500 by going from 3900 to 4100. I feel like there's a pretty wide range of skill levels that are going to get caught there. I guess it's sort of analogous to rank 5 in Hearthstone, but more pronounced I would expect.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 10, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I don't like a system where I win 60 mmr every time and lose 6 mmr or less every time.

I do however, like a system where I get shitloads of season and rank rewards, so I'm deeply conflicted over this.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Who cares? Are you a pro gwent player or something?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Up Circle posted:

I don't like a system where I win 60 mmr every time and lose 6 mmr or less every time.

I do however, like a system where I get shitloads of season and rank rewards, so I'm deeply conflicted over this.

Well, play games and you will climb until that's no longer the case.

frajaq posted:

Who cares? Are you a pro gwent player or something?

I find it interesting. And I care at least a little bit about my rating. A lot of people do, even if it's not trendy to admit to :)

E: OK here's an interesting deck I found to try to get some better discussion going. Idea is to win round 1 with your bronzes and thin the absolute poo poo out of your deck (eg Mercenary -> First Light -> play a bronze is both good tempo and takes two cards out of your deck). By doing this you can pretty reliably draw Ciri Dash multiple times and set up a ridiculous round 3 with all your gold bodies and multiple Scorch effects.

This deck apparently won a tournament, so it must be fairly decent. I had pretty mixed results in casual with it, not sure if it was my bad piloting or tough matchups or what. Maybe someone will enjoy it. (leader is Eithne)

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 10, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gaining 40 mmr and losing 4 does feel totally silly - it's gotten to the point where I concede in ranked immediately if I have a bottom 20% hand which is quite dumb - so we'll see if this is the system's final form.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The win to lost point ratio is silly, but it does lessen ladder anxiety and frees one to play non-meta decks without worrying about tanking so bad that you can't climb back up, and that you can still climb when you happen to win and work toward end of season rewards, which Casual doesn't really offer.

Edit: I'm also not entirely opposed to get rid of ladder or just merge ladder and casual into one mode, and build something separate for all the tryhards and competitive people.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 10, 2017

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I like the change because I can play Ranked and win season rewards with bad, but fun decks.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

build something separate for all the tryhards and competitive people.

Like.. a ladder?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

King Pawn posted:

Like.. a ladder?

Scheduled leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So weakening a unit with a shield just eats the shield and doesn't change their base power, apparently. Fun way to lose a round.