Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Max skill levels don't make or break any Servants. It's just something you can keep working on to continue the progression of characters beyond max leveling or max stat boosting. Just another thing people can work towards, but not mandatory. Level 8 is the max skill level I have on any servant on JP. Worry about it if you want, forget about it if you want. If you do worry about it, Mona Lisa is a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Also, a PSA to Herc owners: I might/probably am talking out of my rear end here, but NP-boosting CEs on Herc are not that useful IMO, because any turn that you are not using that Herc's Buster Card is a bad turn which means ideally he should almost never be boosting his NP unless by "accident" (bad shuffles that only give you his Arts card, he gets hit during an Evade turn, etc.). Stuff that boosts Buster performance like Limited / Zero Over is way better IMO.

I thought this was what you were supposed to do with him as in buff up his Buster skills?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Are we going to get giant awesome Alexander the Great from Fate Zero at some point?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man starting out with herc and gil feels so much better than jeanne/emiya

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

Also, a PSA to Herc owners: I might/probably am talking out of my rear end here, but NP-boosting CEs on Herc are not that useful IMO, because any turn that you are not using that Herc's Buster Card is a bad turn which means ideally he should almost never be boosting his NP unless by "accident" (bad shuffles that only give you his Arts card, he gets hit during an Evade turn, etc.). Stuff that boosts Buster performance like Limited / Zero Over is way better IMO.

That depends on the content and other servants you're using. For farming pieces and monuments, I pick a support Herc with Kaleidoscope or Imaginary Element and boost his NP to 100% with Waver. Herc 1-rounds the single boss on the last wave this way. For most other content, I usually pick one of the support Hercs with Limited/Zero Over or some other Buster boosting CE.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Trihugger posted:

That depends on the content and other servants you're using. For farming pieces and monuments, I pick a support Herc with Kaleidoscope or Imaginary Element and boost his NP to 100% with Waver. Herc 1-rounds the single boss on the last wave this way. For most other content, I usually pick one of the support Hercs with Limited/Zero Over or some other Buster boosting CE.
For the dailies at least, if I have two Hercs with Limited/Zero Over and an OK first two shuffles, I can make it to the third round (the boss) without the enemy servants getting a single turn. Then I can pop George's target skill, put evade on him, and whale on the boss and often ending the daily without either Herc getting hit at all.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is Gil a straight 1% chance or is it 1% for any five star which makes his likelihood of being drawn even lower? I got a friend who has him and he is really cool but I'm not ready to whale out when it is extremely unlikely that I will actually get him. I used 3 free summoning tickets today and got Elizabeth Bathory so that's cool I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Herc NP is really strong and can one shot most bosses. You'll definitely want NP charge CEs on him depending on the content you're doing, but most of the content you'll do can be completed just fine with LZO or any other CE of that sort. It doesn't really hurt Herc either way, tbh.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

rio posted:

Is Gil a straight 1% chance or is it 1% for any five star which makes his likelihood of being drawn even lower? I got a friend who has him and he is really cool but I'm not ready to whale out when it is extremely unlikely that I will actually get him. I used 3 free summoning tickets today and got Elizabeth Bathory so that's cool I guess.

The 5* chance is 1%, if you hit that then your chances of getting Gil are very high. Idk the exact percentage but I think it's somewhere near 70-80%.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Baal posted:

The 5* chance is 1%, if you hit that then your chances of getting Gil are very high. Idk the exact percentage but I think it's somewhere near 70-80%.

Do any events ever change those odds?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, the 1% chance is static and never changes. This game's gacha isn't as nice about increasing the overall percentage as something like Granblue or Record Keeper are, but it is nicer about getting poo poo you want if you get lucky enough to hit that small chance. The best chance you get at guaranteeing yourself something is the biyearly guaranteed gachas where you use 30 paid quartz to roll for one 5* and only one 5* and it is story gacha servants, no limiteds with the exception of the first paid gacha that had a few limited servants in it like Okita. Idk if the US one's gonna have that gacha for 2018, only time will tell.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I dumped that CE that increases his np by 8% every turn on him and that seems to do well. With waver I never have to use his blue cards to have nine lives up by the end of the mission.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrManiac posted:

I dumped that CE that increases his np by 8% every turn on him and that seems to do well. With waver I never have to use his blue cards to have nine lives up by the end of the mission.
Yeah that one is probably great, since then you don't have to waste any turns on not using Buster cards if you don't have to.

Basically with even something like Kaleidoscope, I have to waste a turn to get his NP up to 100%, which in turns gives the enemy servants an extra turn. It feels better to get those first couple of waves ASAP so I have more turns with Geroge's target skill active against the boss. I won't deny that a Nine Lives that I've built up has been useful as well though, since yeah that tends to end any boss in the daily.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I have Imaginary Element on my Herc right now, and I feel like I'm getting more mileage out of that than I was with Verdant Sound of Destruction.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I use Lancelot and/or Tamacat for clearing Dailies because they get to kill a wave ASAP if you have a Starting NP+ CE on them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Trihugger posted:

Max skill levels don't make or break any Servants. It's just something you can keep working on to continue the progression of characters beyond max leveling or max stat boosting. Just another thing people can work towards, but not mandatory. Level 8 is the max skill level I have on any servant on JP. Worry about it if you want, forget about it if you want. If you do worry about it, Mona Lisa is a big help.

Getting the cooldown on Cu's evade as low as possible sounds mighty enticing, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

guaranteed gachas where you use 30 paid quartz to roll for one 5* and only one 5*
I noticed this distinction between free/paid quartz existed when I did my ten-pulls. God drat that's cheap.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

I noticed this distinction between free/paid quartz existed when I did my ten-pulls. God drat that's cheap.

It is indeed a fairly cheap way to get a 5-star, compared to rolling at normal rates

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pierson posted:

even better, the "free" bonus quartz that come with purchases are considered as such when it comes to the paid gacha; you have to either buy the 42 or 30 singles if you want to roll it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Finished Rome, so it's time to grind Daily quests. But first, I decided to to some free quests in Fuyuki, to get some more quartz, to do one last pull on the Gil banner.

:eyepop: Hello, Gilgamesh.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Motto posted:

even better, the "free" bonus quartz that come with purchases are considered as such when it comes to the paid gacha; you have to either buy the 42 or 30 singles if you want to roll it.

That's dirty as gently caress considering the price jump means you'll have to pay $40 at minimum.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

DrManiac posted:

That's dirty as gently caress considering the price jump means you'll have to pay $40 at minimum.

You can mix some of the other deals but its not much better with a smaller bonus, pretty dirty either way.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
dang those interludes that say 70+ don't really gently caress around. Beat it without Command seals but still

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Are we going to get giant awesome Alexander the Great from Fate Zero at some point?
he's a limited servant like gil, you can roll him during the fate/zero event. he's pretty good.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

MotU posted:

dang those interludes that say 70+ don't really gently caress around. Beat it without Command seals but still

A 90 Jeanne + shielder or support like Martha make it easier... getting at least 1 dude who has dmg advantage over the common enemy type or a whole team of them + support is usually a good thing since very few heroes can even make it past 70 at this point.

60 Vlad (or damage superior enemy) + Jeanne 90 + Support/tank or other damage superior - makes it pretty straightforward imo.

But yeah, I've had to use a Command Seal on one of them for Vlad NP - else it might have been a death.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 9, 2017

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Alright, halfway through Orleans and I think I'm going to have to start skipping these cutscenes. No offense meant to anyone who's digging this, but I think I would rather read about Shirou preparing dinner than another one of these inane check-ins that gets interrupted by zombies or dragons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't remember anything of importance happening during the Orleans or Septem cutscenes, outside of "<-(Did nothing)" in Septem.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
YOUR ORDERS, MASTER

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a new take on one of the most popular tag teams in the series and Orleans does do a decent job of starting to dig into what it means when the grail spits out two versions of a single person.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i liked all the dialogue well enough but ive had no basis in any other Fate stuff

i need a primer.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, Be Elegant + Gil --- should I?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Randallteal posted:

Alright, halfway through Orleans and I think I'm going to have to start skipping these cutscenes. No offense meant to anyone who's digging this, but I think I would rather read about Shirou preparing dinner than another one of these inane check-ins that gets interrupted by zombies or dragons.

MotU posted:

i need a primer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I'm not feeling the plot or the pacing too much, but a lot of the servant interactions are fun.

Also the paid quartz stuff seems pretty gross. I'd been enjoying the game so I thought I might throw a couple bucks their way in gratitude, Gerstmann-style, but $30-40? No thanks.

EDIT: I will say I liked the development that Jeanne Alter was the product of Gilles' wish to punish France, and not the one to win the Grail.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 9, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Leaf posted:

Yes, but not for a while.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it is a good thing that the servants I really want are all limited summons anyway. More importantly I am glad they prioritize using free prisms first instead of the stuff that you pay for.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Septem is generally considered to have the weakest writing, it really tightens up after that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the writing in the first three chapters is pretty rough, but it improves a good bit in okeanos, a decent bit in london, and is insanely good from america onwards. I'd highly recommend giving those a try.

Bad Seafood posted:

Also the paid quartz stuff seems pretty gross. I'd been enjoying the game so I thought I might throw a couple bucks their way in gratitude, Gerstmann-style, but $30-40? No thanks.
Keep in mind these gacha prices are actually way lower than most gacha games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the 'and then a dragons popped up' thing is something nasu actually makes fun of in a recent interview if that doesnt make it clear that they evolve from that form of writing pretty quickly

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm enjoying looking up some of these historical characters. Like, as a professional musician I know a whole lot about Mozart but I didn't know that he met and proposed to Marie Antoinette. And I didn't know Gilles' history, or the guy who executed Marie, or the Emporor of Rome whose name escapes me. The anime renditions of these characters is funny too.

Edit: is the Fate First Order movie all about Wyverns interrupting the dialogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

rio posted:

Edit: is the Fate First Order movie all about Wyverns interrupting the dialogue?

No.

It only covers up to the end of Fuyuki so it's all skeletons instead.