Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Getting the initial bits of orbital maneuvers down is pretty tough, as our daily lives have no experiences similar enough that we develop an intuition for this.

There are many places you could be going wrong, as you have described a correct process for matching orbits.

My advice is to ignore the inclination difference for this contract, as it is not too far off and the Ap is pretty high.
1: launch to equatorial orbit
2: set Ap to a similar altitude and phase
3: tweak inclination (purple indicators)
4: bring up Pe (yellow indicators)
5: final adjustment to inclination (purple) and phase (blue)

That is more difficult I think.

Here is what I do, when Δv is not really a big issue (it shouldn't, satellites are pretty light and you can tailor your launcher to the task at hand).

1. Launch to equatorial. Preferably 125kmX125km for faster acceleration.

2. Use your map to see where the two orbits intersect. To do that, move your map so that your current orbit is just a line (like you are seeing it from the side). Then move around until the other orbit is also one line. Put a maneuver point there, and play around with the purple indicators until your two orbits match.

3. After you are in the same inclination, your next maneuver should be opposite of the target periapsis. Go prograde (yellow indicator), until you roughly match it.

4. When you ascend to periapsis, you can either burn to the target apoapsis point, or make your orbit more circular and do the apoapsis burn on the next try.

5. If your timing is off at launch, or if you are in a different phase, here is what you can do. Use the same method I wrote about inclination, and find the point where the two orbits intersect. Then use the blue indicators to change your orbit left or right, so that it matches the phase of the target orbit. If you do that, then it is simply a matter of adjusting the altitude afterwards. You can do both with the same maneuver btw, the plan is to use the blue and yellow indicators to make your dotted maneuver line to match the target orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess my issue here is that I've got the phasing wrong?

In these pictures, of the same node planning, I have launched to 130km equatorial, then burned out to 28.5Mm circular orbit. My goal is an orbit that is 28.247Mm/23.611Mm at 18.3 inclination, LoAN 171.4, AoPe 133.7

In these pictures, I am plotting a node that's where my orbit and the target orbit visually intersect when seen side-long, and these are two images of it. The goal of this is to match inclination, but you will note my projected Ap/Pe are nowhere near the target.

What do?

e:

I now have it matched on orbital size and shape but it's still out of phase??

Addamere fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 2, 2017

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Some of these steps might prove helpful

http://i.imgur.com/zAxhwQ5.png

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dante80 posted:

That is more difficult I think.

Maybe we are looking at the problem differently, or are at different points in our virtual astrogator careers.

quote:

Here is what I do, when Δv is not really a big issue (it shouldn't, satellites are pretty light and you can tailor your launcher to the task at hand).

1. Launch to equatorial. Preferably 125kmX125km for faster acceleration.

Not needed for satellite contracts.

quote:

2. Use your map to see where the two orbits intersect. To do that, move your map so that your current orbit is just a line (like you are seeing it from the side). Then move around until the other orbit is also one line. Put a maneuver point there, and play around with the purple indicators until your two orbits match.

Low orbit inclination changes are terrible. Even if delta v isn't a concern, you probably don't have the thrust to do it anytime soon.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Addamere posted:

e:

I now have it matched on orbital size and shape but it's still out of phase??

Not sure what I'm looking at, as you can now toggle alternate orbital path rendering. Where your orbit crosses the target, burn radially (blue).

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, radial buttons.

i was only trying normal and grade

thanks

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

drat, this game can look great with some mods thrown in!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I need to confess here: I just cheated myself money in career mode.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Mr. Powers posted:

Eh. I'm of the mind, 'Roll with what you enjoy'. So if you enjoy cheating, cheat away. You filthy cheater :stare: I'm not judging you :argh:

Personally I realised after a fair few hours of Career mode that the bits of the game I enjoyed involved thinking up missions, building ships, piloting them, etc. Fiscally balancing my space program wasn't something I especially enjoyed, and so *science* mode wound up offering the right balance between 'progression' and 'gently caress it, whatever takes my fancy!'. Edit: And some of RoverDude's mods align nicely with that as well.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

magimix posted:

Eh. I'm of the mind, 'Roll with what you enjoy'. So if you enjoy cheating, cheat away. You filthy cheater :stare: I'm not judging you :argh:

Personally I realised after a fair few hours of Career mode that the bits of the game I enjoyed involved thinking up missions, building ships, piloting them, etc. Fiscally balancing my space program wasn't something I especially enjoyed, and so *science* mode wound up offering the right balance between 'progression' and 'gently caress it, whatever takes my fancy!'. Edit: And some of RoverDude's mods align nicely with that as well.

I think there was something missing from science that I was looking for (aside from money). The money requirements for upgrades just start to get obscene, and if you stop doing missions to focus on getting science for a bit, you spend all your money between rockets and upgrades.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dante80 posted:

drat, this game can look great with some mods thrown in!

What mods are you using? I haven't played KSP since well before release, but I downloaded CKAN and am trying to install just a handful of mods and it looks like SVE isn't compatible right now? When I try to download SVE "High Res Textures" CKAN tells me "Module StockVisualEnhancements has not been found. This may be because it is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP." Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I really wish the community would have just gone all-in on Steam workshop support, but welp.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Internet Explorer posted:

What mods are you using? I haven't played KSP since well before release, but I downloaded CKAN and am trying to install just a handful of mods and it looks like SVE isn't compatible right now? When I try to download SVE "High Res Textures" CKAN tells me "Module StockVisualEnhancements has not been found. This may be because it is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP." Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I really wish the community would have just gone all-in on Steam workshop support, but welp.

SVE is updated on CKAN, but it depends on Scatterer which is not, but the CKAN dependency tracking isn't deep enough on display to pick up the problem. You can get it working if you install it manually but you'll need to dig through the Scatterer forum thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ragzilla posted:

SVE is updated on CKAN, but it depends on Scatterer which is not, but the CKAN dependency tracking isn't deep enough on display to pick up the problem. You can get it working if you install it manually but you'll need to dig through the Scatterer forum thread.

I should be able to handle that. Thank you very much!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

I use the following non-gameplay, non-utility mods.

1. SVE, with the high res textures. To make this work follow the instructions here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/143288-ksp-130-stock-visual-enhancements-v1241/
2. Scatterer. Remember to get the latest stable version and disable the ocean shaders on the menu. Do not grab the latest experimental version posted in the thread, it won't work well with SVE.
3. Planetshine
4. Distant object enhancement
5. Texture replacer for a skybox and a couple of other things
6. Windowshine
7. Realplume (using stock configs and smokescreen).
8. Audio muffler redux
9. Chatterer, with this additional pack.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 2, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minmus 3 Voyage:

Part 1. Liftoff: "Fairings? You mean coward containers? NONSENSE!"

Part 2. Stage separation: "By the dawn's early light (and also lots of explosions), this kerbalship WILL fly!"

Part 3. Orbital Insertion: "My space car drives just fine, thank you. IN SPACE!"

[ to be continued ]

I like to think the rover can itself is perplexed by this situation, but that may be me anthropomorphizing expressions from part features.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mr. Powers posted:

I always cheat myself some science because the beginning science grind is just dumb as hell. I get why it's there to teach the game but gently caress.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurui posted:

I always cheat myself some science because the beginning science grind is just dumb as hell. I get why it's there to teach the game but gently caress.

The amount of science you get from a Mun rocket, all the parts for which are available as soon as you get like any science at all, is enough to get you everything you need for a Minmus rocket — and then you're golden. At most you're saving yourself an initial like 5 minutes of throwing together a capsule, parachute, and solid rocket booster to get your first flight records and splashdown for crew and EVA reports from the launchpad, flying over kerbin, and water.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minmus 3 Voyage, Pt 2.

Part 4. Minmus Approach: "Space car coming in hot!"

Part 5. Minmus Landing: "Space car out of gas!"

SPACECAR ran out of fuel 32 meters above the surface of Minmus' lesser flats biome, which happily means it touched down softly. It's night time, so SPACECAR will soon also be out of batteries but in the interim we can collect some science. It looks like Jeb will be stranded on Minmus — though with a very stylish and not at all ridiculous SPACECAR he'll be able to drive around during daytime hours — while we spin up Minmus 4 to rescue him.

[ to be continued ]

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I never moved out of sandbox mode, and probably never will.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Pioneer42 posted:

I never moved out of sandbox mode, and probably never will.

I wanted science and missions to give me direction.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minmus 3 Voyage, Pt. 3

Jebediah Kerman sits in his tin can after literally hours of of real time spent roaming around the surface of Minmus to collect science. Pictured above, The Sun sets over Minmus' northern poles.

Minmus Four: Valentina to the Rescue! is quickly bolted onto the side of already-planned Kerbal Space 9 mission to do some contracts that involve satellites and stations. This flight was a failure, because the improperly balanced craft cartwheeled and fell apart. REVERT FLIGHT!!

Citing the above simulation flight, some engineers at KSC were negative Nancys with warnings about the Minmus Four rescue vehicle being a counterweight or an aerodynamic hindrance. Nonsense, says Valentina Kerman: just bolt on some more boosters, with enough thrust we don't care about resistance!

"This is fine," says Bill Kerman to Bob Kerman as the entire upper body of this monstrosity starts glowing red-hot. "Flames give the rocket character," says Bob Kerman in agreement. Valentina Kerman is pleased.

Minmus Four / Kerbal Space 9 successfully exits the atmosphere and jettisons the lifting stage. Pictured above, nine kerbals worth of living space being shoved around by a poodle.

Close-up of Kerbal Space 9 orbital station highlighting the Minmus Four rescue vehicle docked at its upper docking bay.

May as well get some cash money while we're up here!

And with the first of several contracts secured, the solar panels are deployed and Valentina is off to rescue poor Jebediah!

... Just as soon as we turn this thing around (note Mun in the background).

[ to be continued ]

Addamere fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 4, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minmus 3 Voyage, Pt. 4

Guided by a Probododyne OKTO-2, Minmus Four Rescue Vehicle departs Kerbal Space 9 and orients to Minmus.

Antenna and landing gear extend while making an inclination change.

Coming in hot toward Minmus!

For those of you who like to see orbits and such. Orbit would have had us crossing into the dark side of Minmus and as a result losing power right when we'd need to circularize our orbit; instead, some manual burns radial-in and anti-normal line us up to land on the northern pole area.

Coming in for a landing! We touch down about 2 km away from Jeb's lander.

Jebediah hits the two-wheel motion to pull up in style.

Surface rendezvous! Jebediah and all that science collected by Minmus Three are now safely aboard the Rescue Vehicle

Blastoff to orbit!

I generally try not to show unnecessary UI elements, but peep the ΔV. :c00lbert:

Time warp, and we're coming in for a night landing on Kerbin.

I used up what little remained of the LOX to slow us down for a gentle reentry.

:tif: "This is fine."
___|/
:jeb:

Amazingly only the Communotron breaks during reentry and we splash down in the ocean.

1,600 new science points!

For me, this was the most intricate and exciting Kerbal Space Mission of my life. For Jebediah Kerman, it was Tuesday.

~ fin ~

Addamere fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Rescue missions are about the most satisfying thing in KSP.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Unless they're around Moho :suicide:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bolting a rescue craft on the side of an existing mission (and then having the rocket crash because you imbalanced it) is the most :jeb: thing in a while. Well done.

Some of the magic is lost when you get proficient at KSP.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just Kerbal things: when you can fly out to and orbit both of your moons, but can't measure the temperature at a spot on the other side of the planet.

I have a plane that can get about 90% of the way there. I built basically an ICBM to try to land there, but it lost most of the pieces I needed to rove around on reentry (it was a really high arc). My next attempt is going to be a booster-launched rocket with wings that can hopefully launch on a low arc and then fly to the point (probably parachute landing).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Launch as if to low orbit. Most of the time you can leave your periapsis between 10 and 30k to land where you want, and use aerodynamics once you hit atmosphere again.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

After rescuing Jebediah and completing some contracts in Kerbin orbit, I sent up this little guy — aptly named Parachute Launcher — to rendezvous with Kerbal Space 9 and deorbit it.

It's an OKTO with a FL-T200 as its fuselage, a 1K battery, a spark, and 8 parachutes. It was hoisted to orbit atop a swivel and 2x FL-T800 tanks, enclosed in a fairing with a nose cone on its docking port.

Total cost was 11,875, including the launch vehicle. Most of that was all the parachutes.

In the future, I'll probably use far less RCS thrusters and fuel. They didn't really help as much with docking as I'd hoped they would. Just extra weight and fiddly bits on both KS9 and the Parachute Launcher.

Poodle firing what's left of KS9's fuel reserves right when the most fragile parts (the one-time extend solar panels) start breaking. Because of this emergency fuel, that's all that broke!

I didn't quite land it at the KSP pad as intended, but it touched down just gently enough to recover everything — including the Poodle engine. Now everyone is a level 2 something! :toot:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Antti posted:

Some of the magic is lost when you get proficient at KSP.

When I got good enough that the magic started to disappear, I just switched to SSTOs only.

I guess when they stop falling apart I'll start building space helicopters.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ssto spaceplanes are so satisfying to use and look so drat cool in screenshots, it's really where imo people should turn their focus to once they've gotten to the point where they can reliably get to jool with rockets

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

financially racist posted:

ssto spaceplanes are so satisfying to use and look so drat cool in screenshots, it's really where imo people should turn their focus to once they've gotten to the point where they can reliably get to jool with rockets

Exclusively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTVEdM9hgs

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kerbal Atomics has a 3.75 aerospike engine called the Scylla that has two modes - the first uses LH2 and Oxydizer to put out a ton of thrust at great isp, and the second mode uses just LH2 to put out amazing isp at reduced thrust. The idea is that you bring a lot of LH2, and a little bit of LqOxidizer and when you've run out of the need for very high thrust you'll be out of LqOx and can switch to 100% LH2.

The neat thing is that Atomics has an Extra patch thats included but not enabled by default to convert all LH2 usage by Atomics to traditional LqFuel and LqOxidizer (since LH2's tradeoff vs standard fuel is volume - you need a LOT bigger LH2 tanks to get the same amount of dV from compared to LqFuel/LOx.) which absolutely murders every other large engine that I've found.

I ended up using 2 of them on the rear of a giant 3.75 MK3 SSTO as pseudo-RAPIERs and was able to boost a 2.5m Jumbo fuel tank to 80km LKO with 1,500dV remaining.

It was designed to be capable of landing on its engines on Mun/Minmus (maybe Duna) but landing in atmospheres was a different matter altogether and I've since scrapped the project as unfeasible due to "piloting constraints."

Here's a few pictures of the craft through the various stages of testing, sorry it took so long to upload!

My current KSP1.3 install has ~150mods and this craft features heavy use of tweakscale and pwings

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 8, 2017

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How is auto-strut supposed to work? Is there a decent tutorial video somewhere? I can't seem to find one :-/

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

uXs posted:

How is auto-strut supposed to work? Is there a decent tutorial video somewhere? I can't seem to find one :-/

What it does is, as soon as it's vitally important, your ship will wobble uncontrollably until it rips itself to shreds.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

uXs posted:

There's a mod that makes it A LOT easier called Editor Extensions Redux (on CKAN as well) that gives you a menu allowing you to Auto-Strut every piece on your ship.

There's a few different AutoStruts that I use a little differently from each other

AS None will only use the joints on either side of each part. There's no auto-strutting - expect some wiggle. The joints are still connected to each other with the AS options.

AS Heaviest will lock that part (Or with the EER menu, every part) to be invisibly strutted to your heaviest part. This is useful on both rockets and planes (especially planes) and will lock all parts with AS-Heaviest to the heaviest part. I use AS-Heaviest on every plane (like the one in my above post)

AS Root will do the same, but strutting everything to your root part. This isn't all that useful as the root part is typically at the very front (top?) of your craft and any heavier parts hanging at the rear (back?) of your craft will typically bend the joints between themselves and root.

AS Grandfather is the motherload - this is the one I use a lot - it's quite strong! You're already getting the parenting AS (each part connected by each joint) but now you're also autostrutting each piece with the part 2 parts above and 2 parts below. I use AS-GF on pretty much every rocket I build.

The EER mod will allow you to build your vessel as normal, and then go into the menu, select the AS-option of your choosing, and it'll take a few seconds before changing every single part to use the same AS-option. Very useful especially for large craft.

Mess around with EER and build a Ring station and see how the different AS-options affect it. You might be surprised to see which AS-options work better than the others depending on your build.

If you're not on CKAN (and why wouldn't you be?) you can find EER here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com...nooffsetlimits/

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Otacon posted:

My current KSP1.3 install has ~150mods and this craft features heavy use of tweakscale and pwings

As soon as I saw this, Iron Maiden's 'Tailgunner' started playing in my head.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I finally went ahead and bought KSP. The OP and the mod suggestions in it are horribly outdated. Is there a more recent modlist for beginners in this thread?

So I'm still only in the tutorial missions and I'm already getting frustrated by the UI (or lack thereof). Why does the game never want to show you information you need? I need to constantly switch between normal and map view during an engine burn because both of them are missing critical information. But every time I go back to map view the entire navball is hidden again and Pe and Ap info are unpinned (seriously, wtf?). There's no UI tweaking settings in the game. Are there any basic UI mods to make the main flight UI stuff work better and be... less amateur? You know what I mean. I'm trying to do the land on Mun tutorial and I never have a clear idea of what's going on due to having to switch back and forth and rotate my view around to see numbers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prettz posted:

I finally went ahead and bought KSP. The OP and the mod suggestions in it are horribly outdated. Is there a more recent modlist for beginners in this thread?

So I'm still only in the tutorial missions and I'm already getting frustrated by the UI (or lack thereof). Why does the game never want to show you information you need? I need to constantly switch between normal and map view during an engine burn because both of them are missing critical information. But every time I go back to map view the entire navball is hidden again and Pe and Ap info are unpinned (seriously, wtf?). There's no UI tweaking settings in the game. Are there any basic UI mods to make the main flight UI stuff work better and be... less amateur? You know what I mean. I'm trying to do the land on Mun tutorial and I never have a clear idea of what's going on due to having to switch back and forth and rotate my view around to see numbers.

Kerbal Engineer displays all of this stuff in flight (and in the VAB).

MechJeb does as well, offers more customization options, and has an autopilot.

"MechJeb and Engineer For All" enables MJ/KE on all probe cores and pods, if installed, rather than needing to add an extra part to each rocket.

I'd also recommend picking up Better Burn Time and Navball Docking Alignment Indicator.

Also, go to the settings and untick "auto hide navball in map view".

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
There is a setting for the navball, iirc.

And you can control the ship (except for staging) in map view.

Normal view, I use for EVA, science, takeoff, landing, and the occasional "is there a mountain in my flight path?" Almost never need to switch away from map view for lining up a landing grazing pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

As far as other UI / utility mods go, Kerbal Alarm Clock is a must have, but also check out Waypoint Manager and Precise Maneuver, all available on CKAN.