Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Doseku posted:

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 04 - Enter Hunter

Things start to go south as we proceed ever deeper into the mutation.
There are a couple spot which I think are kinda stupid.
One of those spots being the wall climbing triangles. You know the ones that you have to run straight at to run up the side of a wall.
Well in this episode some of them are put into positions where you can't actually get a running start at them but instead must do a run jump at them and hit just the right spot or you are screwed.
The next spot would be right outside the boss where you have a large canyon and only a single enemy floating closer to your side.
The problem here is that you have to jump off the enemy at just the right time or risk hitting your head against a ceiling or not being high enough to clear the gap.
Add to that that the checkpoint is just before the guantlet of yellow walls that you have to wait on hunter to get through and you have a recipe for a somewhat frustrating time.

Alright so after watching the last two episodes I have to ask: How do you have your controls set up? Are you on keyboard or controller? Certainly the game is harder in World 2 than a standard Mario game but I couldn't help but feel like some of the issues you've been having were either controls-based or seeming unfamiliarity with the mechanics of SMW. For one, that single enemy jump at the end of the castle stage should've been no big deal at all but for whatever reason I noticed you weren't holding Run when making the jump. Of course it'll be harder when you're not letting Mario use the fullest horizontal extent of his jump. Similar issues seem to crop up every time you have to jump off a vine too and I see Mario failing to get the distance he would be if you were holding Run.

In another case, those butterflies look like they're an absolute pain in the rear end to go up against unarmed since they chase you down and jumping on them is dangerous at best. But...for the majority of videos 3 and 4 you overlooked using the Koopa shells from enemies before the butterflies showed up to defeat them easily. In fact, I think every situation where a butterfly showed up was preceded by a shell you could use to dispatch it. Similar things happened with the reverse ? items that hurt you. You saw early on that you could break them with shells and throw blocks, but rarely took advantage of that fact, instead usually eating a hit as Big Mario to break them and pass.

Magikoopa is a pain in the rear end to work with, but when he fires his spell he always aims it directly towards Mario's current position. You're always able to manipulate him to shoot in a more favorable location because of this. It's not easy, but it's important to remember. Equally as important is knowing things such as that Bullet Bill launchers don't fire if you're standing on or adjacent to their horizontal positioning in the level. Or that Thwomps and Ball 'n' Chains can be spin-jumped on because the spinjump is good for bouncing off of 95% of spiked enemies in the game and might have even been powerful enough to defeat the butterflies in one stomp (maybe, I don't know for certain).

I hope this all isn't coming across too harshly. I'm just trying to give you some general tips and advice since I get the feeling you're unfamiliar with what most SMW hackers expect their players to understand before playing, or haven't played very many SMW hacks before. Nor am I trying to say that the game is perfect and you're just bad at it because that wall-running segment feels really poorly designed and the random lack of midpoints doesn't help in these levels. I don't want you to take my comments the wrong way because I'm interested in seeing where this rabbit hole goes but it's a little hard watching 30+ minute videos when I'm seeing these little things that feel like they could be avoided or improved on or fixed if it's a controls issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'll admit that a lot of the problems shown may very well be caused by my own lack of knowledge.

Control wise I'm using an xbox controller. With attack mapped to A and jump mapped over to B.
For the jumpable enemy at the end of the castle I learned that your jump is extended as long as you are holding the jump button when you make contact hence why I wasn't running at it. I may have screwed myself by thinking that running wasn't needed.

You may also be correct that that there has been shells preceding each of the encounters with the butterflies but I don't always consider using them for whatever reason or end up wasting it on an enemy that didn't require it. In the end it always turns into a mad dash to get away because I completely forget about the shell just before it.

The spin jump is one of those moves that I never think about using too often outside of where it's needed and has never crossed my mind as something to use for a lot of the instances that you have seen where it would have helped. That is entirely my fault and is most likely due to my playstyle.
My approach to this particular romhack is as a person that hasn't played SMW for who know how many years and my first time playing an actual romhack. I've normally tended to stick with Fangames that used their own engine or Hello.
I'm lucky this one has turned out as good as it did so far and hasn't turned into a Kaizo game or worse. This really isn't that bad of a game and is somewhat well designed for what it is. I've seen people play hacks far worse than this.

Your criticisms are valid and is something I'll have to try to take on board as I go forward.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've played plenty of hacks with a 360 controller too. You may want to try out Attack/Run mapped to X and keep Jump on A. Spin Jump then gets mapped to B and the SNES X button, which acts like an alternate Run/Attack gets mapped to Y. This allows you to use the tip of your thumb to always hold down the X button, then use the joint on your thumb to push the A button for jumps. For spin jumps, I like to physically shift my thumb to the Alt Run on Y and use my thumb joint to push A for spin jumps. I don't know how well you'd be able to adjust to this setup but the goal of setting my buttons like this is to allow me to always be able to run and jump simultaneously at any given time. Most SMW hacks assume the player is always running because almost everyone playing them will be doing exactly that. Maybe this can help you too.

I expect you'll probably be required to spinjump to cross enemies at some point so it's good to get used to what you can and can't jump off using it. But even if you aren't, spinjumping is really helpful for getting through setups like that narrow hallway in the castle with bullet bills and floor saws patrolling back and forth. Just remember that your starting spinjump has less vertical height than your normal jump (About 3 tiles high as opposed to a regular standing jump's 4 blocks).

Also, I appreciate that you're approaching the hack from the perspective your described. I've always held the idea that the romhacks I make should still be accessible to new players instead of the niche audience that I know will be the ones to play it so I can completely relate to your mindset here. I hope my tips are helpful going forward.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FPzero posted:

Also, I appreciate that you're approaching the hack from the perspective your described. I've always held the idea that the romhacks I make should still be accessible to new players instead of the niche audience that I know will be the ones to play it so I can completely relate to your mindset here. I hope my tips are helpful going forward.
I've always held up the old Othello box statement "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master" as the pinnacle of game design. You want something that's simple enough to pick up and play that a rank beginner isn't intimidated by it, but deep enough that people will continue to devote their time to learning and mastery. The basic mechanics required to beat the game should not be overspecialized or obtuse, but time invested in learning everything about the game should pay off, even if it's in the ability to beat an optional superboss or just the ability to look cool and show off. The "lifetime to master" part is obviously more essential to a multiplayer game (competitive or cooperative), because eventually a player will move on from a single-player game no matter how deep the mechanics are.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 05 - Forest Mayhem

In my continuing quest to get killed by every enemy in the game I take a trip to the forest.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll have a VLDC episode up either late tonight when I return from a 4th of July party or early tomorrow. Until then, please enjoy this small clip of Tyty losing his poo poo laughing at a level during the upcoming session.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygkmdhedvosrjgl/superamused.mp3?dl=0

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FPzero posted:

I wish Super Metroid hackers would understand this. :negative: I've figured out that walljumping is their excuse for "I don't know how to do platforming."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The first level's pretty good. There are a few iffy setups in there, but overall I really enjoyed the ice athletic, which is a phrase I never expect to say.

The Bowser statue thing in the second level is interesting but the level doesn't really do anything with it. Too bad, because otherwise the level is really just...there. (Also there's basically no DEATH WATER)

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

IIRC the statue thing got explained in the Talkhaus.

Basically, those only spit fire on specific x coordinates, and bonking them when they're right beside the right places shifts them by one pixel so they start working.

It's weird.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Man, you guys didn't even react to that 9-ball made of coins in the first level.

It appeared right as you were talking about everyone at SMWC being huge Touhou fans.

Made me laugh.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

(Also there's basically no DEATH WATER)
I can think of at least two things wrong with that level's name.

Weeble posted:

Man, you guys didn't even react to that 9-ball made of coins in the first level.

It appeared right as you were talking about everyone at SMWC being huge Touhou fans.

Made me laugh.
While I didn't get that reference, I do like how they talked about Kazio Mario and ProtonJon as two separate topics of conversation.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I realize this is an exhaustive rom hack of Super Mario World, because people couldn't stop playing it and had to make their own. And there's terms like 1f0 blocks and sprite limits being thrown around. And there's an entire Internet community devoted to it. And I'm watching a Let's Play of it. But the moment I hear Touhou music I immediately think "FUCKIN NERDS."

Like somehow that's the tipping point for me.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Weeble posted:

Made me laugh.

It took me until halfway through the LP, after playing the whole hack, to notice that the disproportionate amount of Cirno references is due to this being the ninth contest. :downs:

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
There's a part of me that wonders why that particular Touhou meme continues to live to this very day. Much like many other Touhou memes, it's also one I don't like, so seeing it referenced so much is a little painful for me.

At least Cirno's theme is alright, I just don't think the Mario World soundfont works for it well at all.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So I don't like or play Super Mario World.

However I have watched 41 episodes of this. Please keep up the good work.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hanales posted:

So I don't like or play Super Mario World.

However I have watched 41 episodes of this. Please keep up the good work.

Same.

It helps that they really know what they're talking about and like what they do. The sheer joy at seeing something interesting they've never seen before is fun, too. I do wish they'd cut out some of the "failed the same place in the same way" bits, but with the live commentary the commentary is usually interesting enough to carry things.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The dumbest things can also be the most entertaining in the world.

(Also, we start Cave World)

PoptartsNinja posted:

I do wish they'd cut out some of the "failed the same place in the same way" bits, but with the live commentary the commentary is usually interesting enough to carry things.

Yeah this is always hard to figure out this balance on my end. A lot of times we're talking about level design theory or why a level is or isn't doing it for us so it's hard to cut out those comments even if it does mean seeing a lot of repeat deaths. But I'm glad to hear you guys are staying interested in the videos even though you have no real interest in the vanilla game!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Cave World "icon" always kept looking like an octopus to me. The cave mouth looks kinda like a stylized octopus head, with the lines forming the tiny little mountain looking like octopus tentacles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Yeah this is always hard to figure out this balance on my end. A lot of times we're talking about level design theory or why a level is or isn't doing it for us so it's hard to cut out those comments even if it does mean seeing a lot of repeat deaths. But I'm glad to hear you guys are staying interested in the videos even though you have no real interest in the vanilla game!

You're doing a good job with it. My only suggestion would've been "make a success reel" at the end of each world that shows the winning run through each level. We'd miss out the fun design discussions but it might give a better feel for how each world flows for people like me who are terrible at Mario.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're doing a good job with it. My only suggestion would've been "make a success reel" at the end of each world that shows the winning run through each level. We'd miss out the fun design discussions but it might give a better feel for how each world flows for people like me who are terrible at Mario.

Midpoints kind of mess with that, though. Especially since some people get creative with how they put you back in the level.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Cave world has the worst level in the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The poor SMW soundfont, desperately trying to pull off the Mystic Quest Lava Dome theme and just not coming close.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Artix posted:

The poor SMW soundfont, desperately trying to pull off the Mystic Quest Lava Dome theme and just not coming close.

Ah, that's it. I knew it sounded familiar.

What was the music from inside the ice castle? That sounds really familiar to me too for some reason...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, that's it. I knew it sounded familiar.

What was the music from inside the ice castle? That sounds really familiar to me too for some reason...

As they said, it's from Minish Cap, one of the dungeons.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As they said, it's from Minish Cap, one of the dungeons.

:doh: Right. I completely forgot that pretty quick.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Great. Now I have to listen to the whole Mystic Quest soundtrack.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
The messed up spin jump sound effect was making me giggle like an idiot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

CPColin posted:

I'm not seeing (or hearing) a problem.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CPColin posted:

Which is unequivocally the best thing about Mystic Quest, so rock on!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 23 - 2 Speed 2 Furious :siren:

My journey into the World of Ruin continues to have a bit of a rocky start. Maybe next video I'll actually make some significant progress :v:

Alternate video title: rear end Blaster :sigh:

Sorry for skipping a week, by the way! I could give out a handful of excuses, but at the end of the day they're just excuses. I really gotta stop letting myself get distracted by other video games I want to play.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An enemy called Duty... pulling off a fatal rear end Blaster... and the guy posting the videos is "liquidypoo"... it works on so many immature levels!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 23 - 2 Speed 2 Furious :siren:

My journey into the World of Ruin continues to have a bit of a rocky start. Maybe next video I'll actually make some significant progress :v:

Alternate video title: rear end Blaster :sigh:

Sorry for skipping a week, by the way! I could give out a handful of excuses, but at the end of the day they're just excuses. I really gotta stop letting myself get distracted by other video games I want to play.

That is perfectly fine, I just look forward to your videos because I derive a lot of enjoyment from your failures :v:

also GP Rain is really really strong

How Rude fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 14, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

What commercial is your avatar from because it looks amazing.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kurieg posted:

What commercial is your avatar from because it looks amazing.

I have no clue where it's from but the GIF was made by a goon and posted in the PYF GIF thread, and I made the av from it because it was too good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Call me boring but I think at this point I usually just do the Maranada-Zozo-Veldt sequence that the game pushes you to do :shrug: I should mix it up next time I play through this.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 14, 2017

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

C-Euro posted:

Call me boring but I think at this point I usually just do the Maranada-Zozo-Veldt sequence that the game pushes you to do :shrug: Call me boring I guess, I should mix it up next time I play through this.

Well, I mean, same. In this specific instance, though, I wanted at least one replacement character, and fast. It just turned out to be really poorly thought out on my end!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You really should've gone to get Mog so you could get Umaro. I think at this point he has to have the Tools and Morph commands, right? Or are not all commands guaranteed to be on all characters?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You really should've gone to get Mog so you could get Umaro. I think at this point he has to have the Tools and Morph commands, right? Or are not all commands guaranteed to be on all characters?

Zepeli has !Morph (we've relic'd it to something more useful, since it doesn't seem to work, at least based on the MP we'd accumulated). I don't believe anything is certain, we'd need Umaro and Gogo's standins to have Steal, Tools, Rage, Slots, Sketch. Plus who knows, maybe he does have those things, but he's still a mindless berserked lunatic.

Alternatively his default command could be set to Suplex Everything.

I myself have gotten everyone but Gogo, Umaro, Gendo and Jean, since those are somewhat deep in dungeons or things that I don't want to spoil myself on in the videos. This is why I was :circlefap: at Bum Rush. All The Damage. And with Iggy its All The Damage Again.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 06 - Rolling Space

It's time to leave the comfort of the forest and go into the byways of space.
The castle itself is not bad. My only complaint would be with the space auto-scroller where you have to climb vertically with very little room for error before you get blocked from climbing further and are forced to take a death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
It's me.

I'm the asshat who promised an LP update after I got out of college for the semester.

Here's the LP materials to date, with a .sav for version 1.8.4. Accompanying it are two videos, which someone can screengrab from to continue.

• Locked thread