Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

David Bradley, duh!
Screw it, Bradley plays everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Has Matt Smith had a wax figure made for the promo shots?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Box of Bunnies posted:

Has Matt Smith had a wax figure made for the promo shots?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope we get a TARDIS redesign soon. I love the late-11/12 console room...but I like it when it changes up

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It looks like he's standing next to someone that's wearing his skin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

I hope we get a TARDIS redesign soon. I love the late-11/12 console room...but I like it when it changes up

Chibnall is almost assuredly changing it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

So the answer is no, he has not

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

So the answer is no, he has not

Or he's made two.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

This is in the front lobby of the Doctor Who Experience. I looked up not expecting to see it. It was....unsettling.

Related note, Mondasian Cybermen are creepy as hell up close. I think it's them smelling like latex hospital gloves, really adds to the visceral body horror feel.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There must be a Law for the exponential occurrence of regenerations. I'm not saying it's happened yet in DW. But 'special events' that draw viewership must have a tendency to be increasingly relied on in shows.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Timby posted:

Chibnall is almost assuredly changing it everything.

FTFY

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I think Chibnall will change a whole ton, and the console room will be included. I hope the theme son gets a lot less busy but includes, in some form, a picture of Thirteen's face.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I think Chibnall will change a whole ton, and the console room will be included. I hope the theme son gets a lot less busy but includes, in some form, a picture of Thirteen's face.

If its still Murray Gold, its not gonna get less busy. He knows not the meaning of subtlety

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

I was really hoping that when Missy was pretending to be Doctor Who they'd put her face in the opening credits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

If its still Murray Gold, its not gonna get less busy. He knows not the meaning of subtlety

I guess I meant the opening credits rather than the theme song.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was really hoping that when Missy was pretending to be Doctor Who they'd put her face in the opening credits.

That would have been hilarious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I know it would have reused the joke from Death in Heaven but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I guess I meant the opening credits rather than the theme song.

You just reminded me of the trick they pulled with the Death in Heaven opening credits and it made me smile.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know it would have reused the joke from Death in Heaven but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

I say reusing the joke from Death In Heaven is why it would have been great, the two-parter is full of callbacks so why not that one

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chibnal: As you all know I think the Colin Baker run on Doctor Who was awful and bad.... so I've cast Colin Baker as the new Doctor so we can fix the mistakes of the past and get a really good televised run from him this time!
Cut to an astonished and clearly terrified Colin Baker sitting in his easy chair

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chibnall: In fact, due to BBC contractual vagaries, all of the surviving actors who portrayed the Doctor, including Tom Baker's wax dummy, are coming back, in separate TV shows. BBC programming is now entirely Doctor Who based.
Crowd member: What about those of us who don't like Doctor Who?
Eccleston: Yeah!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Chibnall: In fact, due to BBC contractual vagaries, all of the surviving actors who portrayed the Doctor, including Tom Baker's wax dummy, are coming back, in separate TV shows. BBC programming is now entirely Doctor Who based.
Crowd member: What about those of us who don't like Doctor Who?
Eccleston: Yeah!

Hearing Rob Shearman talk about Eccleston discovering the classic series after he had already left ("why didn't you tell me it was good?!") warmed my heart.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eccleston *watching The Twin Dilemma, turning toward his host with a big toothy grin*: That coat he's wearing... Fantastic! FanTAStic!
Colin Baker: Oh, for mercy's sake!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wait, Ecclestone didn't even bother to see the earlier Doctor Who?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, Ecclestone didn't even bother to see the earlier Doctor Who?

A lot of actors will intentionally avoid seeing any previous material for the role they're playing so that they can do a fresh take on it and avoid imitating hallmark performances. It's a way of keeping themselves from being handcuffed by upward comparisons right out of the gate, and it's a preference thing, and I respect it a lot, particularly for a show like Doctor Who, that intentionally sheds its skin every now and then to try to work with new audiences.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just find it odd that someone from the UK had never seen any Doctor Who.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cojawfee posted:

I just find it odd that someone from the UK had never seen any Doctor Who.

It's not that surprising - it's just something that exists in UK pop culture; everyone knows what a Dalek is, or that the TARDIS is a blue police box, and that Tom Baker had a long scarf - if pressed, they might be able to recognise a (Peter Davison era) cyberman, K-9, and that Jon Pertwee was also Doctor Who. It's something you can grow up having knowledge of, without having seen anything or having any interest in.

A US analogue would be Star Trek; pretty sure most people could tell you that Captain Kirk is the captain of the Enterprise, Spock is an alien with a salute, and that Scotty beams people places (mostly up or down), and they fight Klingons - without having watched a single episode ever.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 10, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Plus, if you grew up somewhere roughly adjacent to the Wilderness Years, it wasn't even ubiquitous. Matt Smith was like that, although he made a point to watch a bunch of the really early stuff after he got the job.

My favorite part of that story is that he called Moffat really late at night after seeing a Troughton Cyberman episode because it resonated so much with him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eccleston was born in the mid 60s though, he was the right age to see the good stuff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Eccleston was born in the mid 60s though, he was the right age to see the good stuff.

He preferred sports.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

He preferred sports.

Eccleston and sports eh? I wonder if there is a show he was in that would combine the two? Ahhh here's a show called Hillsborough, that sounds like a laugh!
100 minutes later
:stare:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Eccleston and sports eh? I wonder if there is a show he was in that would combine the two? Ahhh here's a show called Hillsborough, that sounds like a laugh!
100 minutes later

Could be worse, you could have watched Cracker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Could be worse, you could have watched Cracker.

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was Let Him Have It :stonk:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

A US analogue would be Star Trek; pretty sure most people could tell you that Captain Kirk is the captain of the Enterprise, Spock is an alien with a salute, and that Scotty beams people places (mostly up or down), and they fight Klingons - without having watched a single episode ever.

I feel like Doctor Who has a different kind of profile in Britain compared with Star Trek in America. I feel like there's a bigger and wider sense of affection for Doctor Who; no doubt a combination of its status as more of a children's programme and the smaller audience.

But compare the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who to the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like Doctor Who has a different kind of profile in Britain compared with Star Trek in America. I feel like there's a bigger and wider sense of affection for Doctor Who; no doubt a combination of its status as more of a children's programme and the smaller audience.

But compare the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who to the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek.

Right, there's a real sense Star Trek Beyond wouldn't have happened if Paramount hadn't realised it was the 50th.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More succinctly, Star Trek has a reputation for being a "nerd" show whereas Doctor Who is a "family" show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

That maybe now, but for years the BBC tried to pretend Doctor Who never even existed. Star Trek had a animated series, 6 films, & 3 spin off shows, one of which also got 4 films, and a reboot film series.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 10, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

100 minutes later

My wife saw a DVD of Secret Smile with David Tennant on the cover and instantly bought it without having ANY idea of what it was about...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

My wife saw a DVD of Secret Smile with David Tennant on the cover and instantly bought it without having ANY idea of what it was about...

Haha, reminds me of those people who were all excited to see Jessica Jones because it had David Tennant in it :allears:

On the plus side, he was REALLY loving good in it!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

He preferred sports.

From that same panel, Shearman also patiently explained for us uncouth Americans how the BBC was considered "posh" and avoided by a lot of working class families during that era.

It did help put some Monty Python bits in prospective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You were a sad lonely child if you were not playing cybermen and Daleks with all the other children though.

• Locked thread