Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Duel to the Death BB2

Enchantment

Cumulative upkeep: Each player draws a card.

Whenever a player draws a card they lose 1 life.

will make pretty card later.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

If the top three are dead you may put them under, and then there's no real reason not to pay the echo cost.

I get the criticism about the creature being weak but:
- blue is the color of bad creature bodies.
- It's a modal spell, so both halves are supposed to be kinda bad.

I'm thinking of bumping it to a 2/2 though.

Also you can't pay a cost of 'shuffle your deck.' It needs to be echo for 0 and then "when you pay this echo cost, shuffle your deck."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Kor Quartermaster 2W

Creature- Kor Soldier

{4}{t}, Attach an Equipment you control to target creature you control: Create a 1/1 white Kor Soldier token.

0/4

I like that making this into a cost makes it stronger.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PJOmega posted:

Also you can't pay a cost of 'shuffle your deck.' It needs to be echo for 0 and then "when you pay this echo cost, shuffle your deck."

How is this different than Cumulative Upkeep add R to your mana pool?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

How is this different than Cumulative Upkeep add R to your mana pool?

Cumulative Upkeep posted:

Cumulative upkeep (cost) (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this permanent is on the battlefield, put an age counter on this permanent. Then you may pay (cost) for each age counter on it. If you don’t, sacrifice it.)

Echo posted:

Echo (cost) (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.)

Realistically it comes down to precedence. Braid of Fire is acknowledged by official ruling as a "very unusual card," and we have an unusual echo template of "echo 0, if you pay the echo cost do thing" already in existence due to Shah of Nar Isle. Plus allows drawback echo effects with cards built around mitigating echo like Thick Skinned Goblin
Indeed there are only 2 non-mana echo costs, one discarding a card and the other sacrificing two lands.

Cumulative Upkeep comes from a lawless time that has rules cludges to make it work. Rules wise, the age counters allow cumulative Upkeep to have odd effects and ugggghhhh. The example of Psychic Vortex and Obstinate Familiar is a wonderful example of how lovely Cumulative Upkeep is.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One With Nothing just started crying.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

One With Nothing just started crying.

Thanks! I've been playing a lot of decks that go off at instant speed lately so a Wheel that only works for instants that you're able to cast right now appeals.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
outside of some cheeky madness shenanigans, I'm not sure what this gets you that milling yourself for 7+ cards doesn't.

I mean, I guess you can stifle or fire off some instants since this is on the stack while you have +7 cards in hand. Seems real hard to make useful

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

outside of some cheeky madness shenanigans, I'm not sure what this gets you that milling yourself for 7+ cards doesn't.

I mean, I guess you can stifle or fire off some instants since this is on the stack while you have +7 cards in hand. Seems real hard to make useful

Countering your own spell.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not intended to be an all-star or anything. Just that making the draw the cost means nobody can stop you from doing it and having the discard on resolve means you get the chance to play any instants you drew before the discard happens. Obviously the optimal situation is an EDH storm deck where it's really easy to punt up infinite mana and then dive through your entire deck with shenanigans, in which case this is just a weird wheel that can't be countered.
Or you could counter the spell yourself with a Remand you drew off of it to get the draw and avoid the discard or, like you said, do some cheeky madness stuff. There's some weird tricks.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 28, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It works particularly well with, appropriately for this contest, another card with an unusual cost:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It gets you instants and abilities. It gets you at least a 9/9 Noose Constrictor or Wild Mongrel. It gets you a permanently 9/9 Lorescale Coatl. Anything equipped with a diviner's wand is now a huge evasive threat. There's all the Amonkhet 'Whenever you discard or cycle' triggers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
yeah, OK fair enough

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What, no mention of B/R Madness?

Edit

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 28, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Realistically it comes down to precedence. Braid of Fire is acknowledged by official ruling as a "very unusual card," and we have an unusual echo template of "echo 0, if you pay the echo cost do thing" already in existence due to Shah of Nar Isle. Plus allows drawback echo effects with cards built around mitigating echo like Thick Skinned Goblin
Indeed there are only 2 non-mana echo costs, one discarding a card and the other sacrificing two lands.

Cumulative Upkeep comes from a lawless time that has rules cludges to make it work. Rules wise, the age counters allow cumulative Upkeep to have odd effects and ugggghhhh. The example of Psychic Vortex and Obstinate Familiar is a wonderful example of how lovely Cumulative Upkeep is.

Weird cumulative upkeep came from a lawless time of 10 months before weird echo costs. None of what you said explains why shuffling can't be an echo cost, and Thick Skinned Goblin's existance is an argument otherwise.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Weird cumulative upkeep came from a lawless time of 10 months before weird echo costs. None of what you said explains why shuffling can't be an echo cost, and Thick Skinned Goblin's existance is an argument otherwise.

Sorry, thought putting the rules text right there would make it apparent. Cumulative Upkeep is "do x for each age counter or sac this" versus echo's "sac this unless you do x." It's a weirdly corner wording that wouldn't be different except for CU being created under a similar but different rule set. It's the same vein as Banding or Animate Dead being simple to understand but to function as intended requires a whole lot of rules that are way less intuitive than the concept.

We already have an established template for downside echo, and since no other effect in the game has "shuffle your deck" as a cost it's bad form to introduce it. Both "discard a card" and "sacrifice two lands" are set as costs so that interactions with Thick Skinned Goblin can work but also so that they're actually costs. If they followed the 0, if echo is paid do x template then they wouldn't be a cost if you were hellbent or somehow didn't have 2 lands to sacrifice.

Can a card introduce shuffling as a cost? Yes. Sure. Well maybe. I'd have to look at all the rulings concerning decks like 4 horsemen.

Cards beat rules. All things are possible, even outside of unsets. You could port Leeroy Jenkin's WoWTCG effect over but it's probably not a good idea. Though I can see the bug reports for MODO already, "microphone refused to pick up my shouting."

--------

All that ignores that minimizing a player shuffling on their turn is a good goal for time purposes. Putting a shuffle effect right before the draw step is problematic, as you can't shortcut past it and shuffle later since its effect is immediate. But that's an opinion on the card itself, not the mechanics of the card.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This looks like it'd be solid in Dredge right? 7 potential Dredges, and you get to toss whatever you have in your hand?

Then again, does it need more enablers or?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would guess that card is legitimately broken, but development will fix it

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 29, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

e: changed the last card

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 30, 2017

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

e: I pushed this a bit too much and also forgot threat of activation was a thing so here's a different version

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 1, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Something old.

And something new.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Final Offering (until I change my mind) :

(Made it worse body/smaller cost so it's a harder choice between the scry and the body ; I agree that templating will probably want to make it uglier but oh well)

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 3, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Third Place
Eeevil's Death Lord:

It's a nice card, and letting your opponent retrieve cards from their graveyard is an interesting cost space that hasn't really been explored.

Second Place
ZeroCount's Crazy Spin:

Drawing cards as a cost is really cool, and the way this is structured to make the fact that it's a cost crucial is great. My one reservation is that this might actually be too strong -- in a Grixis deck you can fairly easily counter it, even with effects like "counter target spell unless its controller pays 1" that are normally weaker counters. I'd give it a "can't be countered" clause so that instead of just saying "Pay 4 mana, discard a counterspell, draw 7", it's asking you to do more interesting things with it. I feel like the design intent was more "play instants, use Madness, discard to on-board abilities, or use one of those specialized expensive counterspells that exiles without countering" rather than "play a counterspell" anyhow.

First Place
Kuiperdolin's Elusive Consigliere:

This was not a hard decision. I love this card. "Shuffle your library" is exactly the sort of of completely off-the-wall cost I was hoping to see in this contest, and far from being a random gimmick here it's a real cost that opens up a ton of interesting decision-making. A perfect entry.

Congratulations Kuiperdolin!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aw, thank you.

The next theme is brought to us by our sponsor :

HAND SIZE MATTERS

Sometimes having a big hand is good :

Sometimes it's bad :

Sometimes it's a mixed blessing:

Sometimes it's your opponent's hand size that matters :

Anyway you get the idea. A card that cares about hand size.
Deadline is July 17th at 23:59 Central European Time.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 14, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im sure theres more than a handful of thread regulars trying to make a current-events small hand joke into a card atm

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The image links in your post are broken for me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

The image links in your post are broken for me.

:same:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, I see what the issue is. Don't hotlink directly to the Wizards site. Save the images and upload them to Imgur or something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oddly, they work through Awful app. Fwiw when I need card images I just grab them off of scg or something

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ugh, Cardsmith's text still looks so weird to me. I may remake this later.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Here's the ideal study book for the apprentice mage. Trouble retaining your lessons? Here's a boost. Struggling to keep a good amount in order? Here's help sorting through what you have. Ready to take a step up? Here's some elementary but shockingly practical spells to work with.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The keywords are arranged deliberately so that you want the number of cards in hands to be odd when declaring attackers/blockers, but even when dealing combat damage. Its combat damage keywords are made particularly important because it has more power than toughness. Since it counts both players' hands, both players can manipulate the total at instant speed to turn its currently-relevant effects on and off. (It also has one ability for each of its colors in each mode.)

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK images should be fixed.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Sort of inspired by Vial-Smasher, he goes off at the end of turn so he penalises you for actually playing any of your cards. On the other hand blue/red both like to play in other people's turns so if that's your gameplan than you're golden. (Whether such a deck would actually want a 5-drop that does this is a different matter). They're both strong card draw colours as well. Izzet Librarian was most likely first printed in a Commander precon.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I'd make it each opponent if it is intended for Commander. Plays better with the political aspects than random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Formerly this prevented spells from being cast instead of increasing the cost, which could be an easy lockout with specters. I'm not sure what the wording should be for the updated version.