Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Y'all will argue about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Y'all will argue about anything.
How dare you, fight me you coward.

Anyway sucks that the switch version of Forces looks to be chugging. I'll check out reviews of Forces when it comes out before I decide on it.

Mania's still something i'll get on launch since it's 20 quid and what they've shown so far seems nice and safe.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have been emotionally compromised by sonic today.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone who likes Sonic games has been already been repeatedly emotionally compromised.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been physically compromised by Sonic today :mrgw:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have been aurally compromised by listening to good Sonic music.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Unleashed day levels are garbage when compared to Colors and Generations levels.

They are garbage on their own, too.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

If you watched any of the Forces trailers/gameplay and thought "hm that looks like a good video game" then I don't know what to tell you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Both Forces and Mania look aggressively forgettable. Like, we'll play them once, maybe twice, and then put them away to be forgotten.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

Both Forces and Mania look aggressively forgettable. Like, we'll play them once, maybe twice, and then put them away to be forgotten.

I'll show you! I'm gonna enjoy the heck outta both of these games and there's NOTHING you or Augus can do or say to stop me!!!!

Honestly though, Mania looks like it'll be super good and I've only really heard positive things about it, and Forces'll probably be fun as Generations 2: Now It's Also Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

Like, I get the complaints that the first modern Sonic stage in Forces doesn't look particularly amazing, but Green Hill Zone Act 2 in Generations wasn't anything crazy, either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Congrats on describing how most normal people play video games, I guess?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Michael Jackson is great and all, but this here is my jam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMOHD_p6zEs

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Let's not forget the lost tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmG0Q9Dg_s

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sakurazuka posted:

I've been physically compromised by Sonic today :mrgw:

If somebody touches you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, that's NO GOOD

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Frankston posted:

If you watched any of the Forces trailers/gameplay and thought "hm that looks like a good video game" then I don't know what to tell you.

I can totally picture this guy getting angry at parties because people are having fun "how can you enjoy this song ughhhhhhhhhh"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just don't understand what they were thinking when they put in CAC. I guess a two-pronged approach to appeasing their fandom between it and Mania?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mania looks amazing, Sonic Forces looks like an excuse for Sega to reuse assets from Sonic Generations because they're lazy

Sonic Generations was an ok game. Not amazing, not terrible. For a 3D Sonic game, being merely decent and not terrible is really good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure I've seen any assets from Generations in Forces at all.

Like there was a moment where I thought GHZ reused a texture but someone pointed out to me it was just superficially similar.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

We can stop arguing and start enjoying this new video by friend of the thread and True blue Sonic Hero, Cybershell about the gasoline pissing disease called Sonic 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJp5UN-oqk4

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not sure I've seen any assets from Generations in Forces at all.

Like there was a moment where I thought GHZ reused a texture but someone pointed out to me it was just superficially similar.

I haven't combed over the details with a fine tooth comb, but it's reusing the Modern \ Classic gameplay from Generations, both Modern and Classic Sonic for some reason, Green Hill Zone, recolored Death Egg Robots from Generations... the game just comes across as lazy. It's like Sega going "oh, people didn't like Lost World, but they did like Generations. Let's just do Generations again!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't combed over the details with a fine tooth comb, but it's reusing the Modern \ Classic gameplay from Generations, both Modern and Classic Sonic for some reason, Green Hill Zone, recolored Death Egg Robots from Generations... the game just comes across as lazy. It's like Sega going "oh, people didn't like Lost World, but they did like Generations. Let's just do Generations again!"

Well, it's unambiguously a sequel to Generations but they're not actually reusing any content except maybe enemies (and they've reused enemies before, in terms of design if not actual models, including in Generations.). "Let's do Generations again" is absolutely their viewpoint but so far it seems to be entirely original content beyond the now-obligatory reuse of Green Hill Zone again.

Frigging Green Hill Zone, I am so sick of seeing it no matter how you remix it.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Robotnik Nudes posted:

We can stop arguing and start enjoying this new video by friend of the thread and True blue Sonic Hero, Cybershell about the gasoline pissing disease called Sonic 4

Wow, Jim Sterling is a contrarian piece of crap, huh? It's almost like he says poo poo just to get attenti- oh, wait...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Cybershell's videos confuse me a bit because his tone of voice almost sounds like he's doing a joke video but I unironically agree with 99% of what he says lol

I have a friend who literally says that Sonic 4 is better than Sonic CD and I think he's legitimately insane

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles yesterday and it was so good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Wow, Jim Sterling is a contrarian piece of crap, huh? It's almost like he says poo poo just to get attenti- oh, wait...

Jim Sterling is the internet given voice and form, it's unnerving how much that dude sucks

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zelder posted:

Jim Sterling is the internet given voice and form, it's unnerving how much that dude sucks

Jim Sterling has always come across as kind of a weird guy to me. I realize he's playing a character, but he just comes across as really off-putting to me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles yesterday and it was so good.

It's the best game. There's so many cool little details in it that they totally didn't have to do, but they did. I always appreciate that kinda stuff. I may be hugely biased because Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite game of all time, but there is just so much about that game that is just freaking great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

You're basically the first person to go "no, see, Unleashed was a different game entirely."

No I'm not. This is the part where I get to go "did you even play these games?"

Unleashed had levels that were a lot more spread out, there were a lot more long open stretches of linear, relatively empty road, the game barely had any platforming to speak of, raw reaction was emphasized above everything else, the boost gauge was generous to the point that you'd basically never run out, Sonic's control was loose and slippery.

Colors was basically a 2D platformer with token 3D segments. The boost gauge was very strictly limited, only being given out by specific capsules and certain enemies. Levels were vertically sprawling areas where the wisp powers were emphasized and there were actual legitimate alternate paths to explore rather than shortcuts. Most of your time in Colors will be spent in 2D segments jumping on blocks or using the wisp powers. 3D sections are short empty roads that mostly serve to connect the platforming sections or to contain a quickstep section.

Generations went back to being speed-focused like Unleashed, but it did a lot of things differently and learned from Colors. Green Hill Zone is pretty familiar but from there it changes quite a bit. The levels were compressed and much more densely-packed, quicktime events were eliminated almost entirely, the colors of the game were made to pop more and motion blur was reduced so that the player could get a clearer view of the stage and see things coming, moving the reaction time required to a reasonable level and making movement focused more on reading the level ahead and doing quick inputs with good timing. Levels began utilizing 3D space more, with levels like Seaside Hill including more wider, layered spaces that allow for some basic platforming and exploration. Rather than punishing you with instant death for falling, many levels will drop you down to a lower path and give you a chance to recover. Drifting is now controllable. Air-Boosting now carries you a reasonable distance and is controllable, and you can still do a short air-dash instead if you want to. The homing attack was changed to give you less momentum after hitting an enemy, which at first glance felt like a step back but ended up being an improvement, because it meant that you were rewarded for not using the homing attack since maneuvering through sections instead of using the instakill-teleport would let you go through faster and more smoothly. There was some actual platforming, sometimes even in 3D, and actual alternate paths that have stuff in them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cybershell owns but ill be posting a 5000 page rebuttal on why Sonic 4 is a breath of fresh air and achieved its all of its goals, revitalizing the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

There was some actual platforming, sometimes even in 3D, and actual alternate paths that have stuff in them.

... out of curiosity are you talking about the Wii version of Unleashed? Because I never played that one and this weird discussion might actually make more sense if we're literally discussing two different games. Otherwise none of this makes any sense because Unleashed literally has all these things you're talking about.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 10, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

... out of curiosity are you talking about the Wii version of Unleashed?

No. That one's even worse.

quote:

Because I never played that one and this weird discussion might actually make more sense if we're literally discussing two different games. Otherwise none of this makes any sense because Unleashed literally has all these things you're talking about.

It really, really doesn't.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, visually, those themes are recurring, but are they reused assets? Because those death egg models have different details, and GHZ has a different look, so on and so forth.

There's a difference between reusing IDEAS and doing an asset flip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

No. That one's even worse.

It really, really doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF8E5FxuGcU

Here is Empire City where you can plainly see multiple branching paths throughout the entire stage.

Here is Rooftop Run Act 2 which is an entirely 2D platformer sequence.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

turboraton posted:

I can totally picture this guy getting angry at parties because people are having fun "how can you enjoy this song ughhhhhhhhhh"

The only thing you'll be seeing me doing at my rooftop switch parties is loudly telling everyone how poo poo sonic forces is

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

Also Sonic Colors and Generations are my #2 and 3 favorite Sonic games behind S3&K (which I played when I was five), Boost Sonic is great and I've always felt that it was more like a rhythm game than anything else. Playing Modern Sonic in Generations feels to me more like Bit Trip Runner than classic Sonic. As someone who has been playing Sonic games for coming up on three decades,oh my loving god. I am fine with that and find it very enjoyable to play.

Also the Forces theme song is good, Forces will probably be janky but fun, I am one with the Sanic and the Sanic is with me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zelder posted:

Sterling plays an important role in at least trying to weed out both lovely corporate practices in the industry and cheap money-grabbing schemes from "indie developers" who just crank out garbage and poo poo it onto Steam. He had an ad-farming site taken down shortly after he did a video exposing them, he's had attempts made to sue him which backfired on the assholes who tried it...

Call him "grating" or what-have-you but he's one of the only people out there actually trying to push back against some of the worst aspects of the gaming industry. His clickbait articles on Destructoid were the only things I had a problem with, but that's in the past and he doesn't even write for them anymore that I know of.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Is the Windows version of Generations decent?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Here is Empire City where you can plainly see multiple branching paths throughout the entire stage.

I see a bunch of shortcuts, one path branch where the alternate path is only slightly different and converges almost instantly, and a branching...grind rail. Connected by homing attack chains.
Yeah not really changing my mind with this one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I see a bunch of shortcuts, one path branch where the alternate path is only slightly different and converges almost instantly, and a branching...grind rail. Connected by homing attack chains.
Yeah not really changing my mind with this one.

So your argument now is "it doesn't count as an alternate path if I say so." Gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Cybershell owns but ill be posting a 5000 page rebuttal on why Sonic 4 is a breath of fresh air and achieved its all of its goals, revitalizing the series.

Make sure not to swear in it.