Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm Team Ice Cream.

smh at anyone who prefers ice cream but thought that Team Cake would get them in matches quicker.

I likely won't be able to play the Splatfest anyway since I'll be away. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I likely won't be able to play the Splatfest anyway since I'll be away. :qq:

Same. These super limited demos are retarded because in most cases those who are following the game enough to know when they're happening are buying the game anyway.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Frankston posted:

Same. These super limited demos are retarded because in most cases those who are following the game enough to know when they're happening are buying the game anyway.

The testfires were primarily server stress tests, though. I think this is the same sort of deal, just dressed up with some extra marketing hype.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

The testfires were primarily server stress tests, though. I think this is the same sort of deal, just dressed up with some extra marketing hype.

Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Also, it makes it so you actually have people to play against, since everyone will be online at the same time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That seems dumb but as a fairly new Nintendo consumer I've quickly learned Nintendo do fuckin' weird poo poo sometimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

That seems dumb but as a fairly new Nintendo consumer I've quickly learned Nintendo do fuckin' weird poo poo sometimes.

If you just let an open beta run 24-7 you won't get anywhere near a server-challenging population to actually test your poo poo. Forcing it into an isolated window actually gets a large-sized population simultaneously for a decent stretch of time to push the hardware properly.

Also if you just let people have it for free weeks in advance all you're doing is burning off launch hype and sales.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also if you just let people have it for free weeks in advance all you're doing is burning off launch hype and sales.

Worked for Overwatch

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Team Cake since I do a lot of baking anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Worked for Overwatch

Different playerbase, a shitload of hardcore-dedicated fans, and twenty years netcoding experience of online multiplayer games. Nintendo's also still got that old-style marketing mentality that they should push for a solid on-day launch, rather than a soft release with an open beta all the way to launch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

oopsie rock posted:

Yea, and this one being 4 hours long obviously means this is the last chance before launch to really make sure the servers are up to the task. Nintendo is hit or miss with their online endeavors, but I really like what they've done with Splatoon. It's a win-win -- fans and skeptics can try it out before launch without having to preorder or anything, and those who do buy it enjoy pretty solid connectivity from day one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo the demo's up? Gotta get in on the ground floor this time

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Bean posted:

How the hell does this happen in the year 2017? Shouldn't preorders indicate to them how many to make?

It only happened like a week ago and manufacturing lead times for cartridges are probably a month at the least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rexroom posted:

Continuing from past Splatoon traditions, Callie and Marie Pearl and Marina present their sides of the Rock vs Pop Splatfest in Japan with official art. Yes, America, no Japanese players in your Splatfest this weekend.

Perl is the bratty one, she should be pop :colbert:

Frankston posted:

They're way longer than the old time limited demos, and the real game comes out a week after :shrug:

They're really more stress tests than demos, if that makes you feel better. So they're not really 'retarded' they're just not serving the point you think. Which is... why they're time limited.

E: Massively beaten.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Forcing it into an isolated window actually gets a large-sized population simultaneously

I'm guessing this is why Salmon Run is only available at limited times so they don't split the matchmaking queue

and/or people will get bored quick since there's only one stage at the moment

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lakbay posted:

I'm guessing this is why Salmon Run is only available at limited times so they don't split the matchmaking queue

and/or people will get bored quick since there's only one stage at the moment

Yeah basically. Somebody said you can always play it with friends so that seems logical to me.

Having the splatfests and also salmon run as events to get people to run to the game seems to work pretty well for keeping the multiplayer community active. Lots of multiplayer games have been struggling with maintaining the community over time after the game has been out, but Splatoon 1 did an amazingly great job with its drip-feed of free updates and the splatfests.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
While I'm bummed about not being able to matchmake into salmon run at will as long as we can make online groups and play it that way then that's fine I guess.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Overbite posted:

While I'm bummed about not being able to matchmake into salmon run at will as long as we can make online groups and play it that way then that's fine I guess.

You can matchmake into salmon run (unless I watched the video wrong), it's just that it's only at certain times

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

You can matchmake into salmon run (unless I watched the video wrong), it's just that it's only at certain times

Overbite said "at will". They understand this. The thing we're all talking about is not being able to do them at any time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can make a case for speeding up the rotation (which they did) but gating things at certain times and having a rotation was a good thing in Splatoon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Have they explained how you get meal and drink tickets?

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
As long as the gear you get from salmon run is not required to compete I'm all for it. It will bug me if theres a BIS that you can only get from a certain salmon run boss that only opens up every 6 months

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm worried because they look like microtransactions you see in skinner box phone games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't think so.

Most of the meals seemed to give XP bonuses, so my guess is its a sort of catch-up mechanic.
We'll probably all get a set number of meal tickets over time, so people who only play every so often can catch up to those who grind the game all day long everyday.

Lakbay posted:

I'm worried because they look like microtransactions you see in skinner box phone games

That would be bad, but I don't think Nintendo has done any of that yet, other than Amiibos.

Could be amiibo rewards though yeah.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Coolspaz posted:

As long as the gear you get from salmon run is not required to compete I'm all for it. It will bug me if theres a BIS that you can only get from a certain salmon run boss that only opens up every 6 months

That would be incredibly un-Nintendo-like

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think so.

Most of the meals seemed to give XP bonuses, so my guess is its a sort of catch-up mechanic.
We'll probably all get a set number of meal tickets over time, so people who only play every so often can catch up to those who grind the game all day long everyday.

Yeah the meals give either XP or cash bonuses. Drinks make your gear level faster and make it more likely that they'll get a certain ability when they level up.

I'm far more excited about drinks, I'm hoping it's a cheap way to tilt the scales towards whatever abilities I'm gunning for. The ability shards system looks real cool but it does take a lot of shards to get an ability.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This loving squiddo doesn't even have the Apocalyptic Dualies of the Mechshark from the June Salmon Run smdh. Get the gently caress off my team. Booyah.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/884482357465677825

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is the squiddish written on it translate to Hori?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Calaveron posted:

Is the squiddish written on it translate to Hori?

No, it's the logo of Forge

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Also Amazon has more stock of the physical version now

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Will I have to buy the dumb headset if I want to play with goons

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am just going to wear earbuds plugged into my phone with headphones plugged into my Switch, that should be fine right

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lakbay posted:

lmao if everyone here would ever use the official poo poo instead of something more logical like mumble or discord

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am just going to wear earbuds plugged into my phone with headphones plugged into my Switch, that should be fine right
:yeah: maybe

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

No, only if you want to talk to goons while you play.

I plan on spamming "booyah!"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm the pubby/rando that doesn't talk and plays poorly while getting destroyed by pre-made goon groups using discord

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Lol at squids who talk on phones.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I mostly want to talk to non goon friends I really have IRL that are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zaphod42 posted:

I will also spam "booyah!" But it will be with my voice over chat.
And also woomy.