Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, I found another thing that annoys me about Witcher III: when I don't get the bestiary entry for a monster because my companion got the killing blow. Dammit, woman, I did 3/4 of the damage in that fight. Let me have the check mark so I can keep track of what I've fought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried to play SOMA but there are a few things about it that I didn't enjoy about playing it, mostly my own things, nothing the game did. First of all my computer had trouble with it, the framerate was terrible, but also I am a total BABY when it comes to horror games. If I can fight, like Fatal Frame or Silent Hill 3, I can get a decent amount into it, but the Amnesia model I just find too oppressive. After a point, when it was teasing the first enemy, I just kinda froze up and stopped playing. Started watching an LP instead because it's intriguing, just not my kind of game to actually play.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried to play SOMA but there are a few things about it that I didn't enjoy about playing it, mostly my own things, nothing the game did. First of all my computer had trouble with it, the framerate was terrible, but also I am a total BABY when it comes to horror games. If I can fight, like Fatal Frame or Silent Hill 3, I can get a decent amount into it, but the Amnesia model I just find too oppressive. After a point, when it was teasing the first enemy, I just kinda froze up and stopped playing. Started watching an LP instead because it's intriguing, just not my kind of game to actually play.
Would a mod that makes the monsters docile help? Those exist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The monsters attacking you is definitely the worst part of SOMA. It feels completely unnecessary and doesn't really add anything meaningful to the story.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Some of these later Hollow Knight bosses pull some real punk poo poo. The Collector's jumps seem to be a completely random distance and height, and he may or may not do a melee attack afterward (so if you think you dodged that unpredictable attack, you just get hit anyway), and at any time he can leave to summon adds of a random amount.

But fine, I got him dead, and now I get to Lost Kin and it's a lot of the same bullshit. Adds spawn right next to you continuously through the fight, meaning that you may be zoned out of attacking the boss even if you do dodge his attacks, which again are random, and he can cancel one attack into another. Also after the third time you knock him down he moves so fast you simply can't heal anymore most of the time, and even if you do perfectly dodge the one attack that puts him in the right position at the right time, more adds just spawn right above you and you get hit. :argh: At least Salt and Sanctuary bosses were somewhat reliable and had that dodge-dodge-heal rhythm you could get in to if you took a few bad hits.

Lost Kin would probably be a great fight too, just a big crazy duel like Maria in Bloodborne, but the endless adds spawning out of rhythm with the attacks make it really stupid.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Jul 9, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Grey Fox posted:

Would a mod that makes the monsters docile help? Those exist.

No, the framerate issues on my machine would still be in effect. The water effects from the start of the LP would probably crash it with how slow it was without them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

Some of these later Hollow Knight bosses pull some real punk poo poo. The Collector's jumps seem to be a completely random distance and height, and he may or may not do a melee attack afterward (so if you think you dodged that unpredictable attack, you just get hit anyway), and at any time he can leave to summon adds of a random amount.

But fine, I got him dead, and now I get to Lost Kin and it's a lot of the same bullshit. Adds spawn right next to you continuously through the fight, meaning that you may be zoned out of attacking the boss even if you do dodge his attacks, which again are random, and he can cancel one attack into another. Also after the third time you knock him down he moves so fast you simply can't heal anymore most of the time, and even if you do perfectly dodge the one attack that puts him in the right position at the right time, more adds just spawn right above you and you get hit. :argh: At least Salt and Sanctuary bosses were somewhat reliable and had that dodge-dodge-heal rhythm you could get in to if you took a few bad hits.

Lost Kin would probably be a great fight too, just a big crazy duel like Maria in Bloodborne, but the endless adds spawning out of rhythm with the attacks make it really stupid.

Want to know a cool secret to trivialize all of Hollow knight's combat forever? Jump over a dude. Slash downwards. Pogo off his face until dead. There are a handful of enemies that can attack upwards at all, but you get so much air out of it that it doesn't matter.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pogo jumps didn't work against either of those bosses for me - Collector can jump in the ceiling to spawn adds whenever he wants, and Lost Kin's adds just spawn wherever, and I was getting hit constantly by them trying that.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

im pooping! posted:

She didn't despawn, she fell through the quarry and she's standing 400 meters below the waypoint.

*if its actually someone different i wont be surprised

That's fantastic. Not "man runs train Flintstones style through ghoul infested subway system" funny, but still funny. I might have to actually stop getting mad about that now.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Technically on PC you could noclip down to that NPC then, couldn't you?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Npc's. I think it does suck pretty bad when you find out a character that you needed or wanted alive (usually to get a good ending or if its like a traveling merchant) managed to get themselves killed or in one case, a character that you need to make peace with the khans literally despawns after you do a certain quest which you can start well before you actually meet the khans.
People get weird and pissy about characters being flagged essential in Bethesda games for some reason, but this is basically why it needs to be done.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's mostly because it felt like every other character was essential in Oblivion and FO3.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

People get weird and pissy about characters being flagged essential in Bethesda games for some reason, but this is basically why it needs to be done.

Didn't Stalker have the whole "Nobody is marked essential, how awesome is that?!" thing, which ended up with quest-givers being randomly shot five seconds after they gave you the quest?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't Stalker have the whole "Nobody is marked essential, how awesome is that?!" thing, which ended up with quest-givers being randomly shot five seconds after they gave you the quest?

STALKER is Dark Bethesda Game.

-People love that kinda poo poo happening because you can loot the quest off their dead PDA's anyways and it fits the grim setting of the Zone.

-The modding community is all about providing more content to the games and less about adding pussies to Snorks or eating the uteruses of your fallen enemies (please don't look for any to prove me wrong, tia).

-Weapon and equipment durability are a thing and in SoC it's impossible to repair items in the vanilla game, so you're meant to scavenge for more equipment and not get comfortable with your ideal setup.

-While you can't join every faction presented in SoC, it's fine because it's better to either be a Loner or at least join Duty because Monolith is just a front for Wish Granter zombies and gently caress Freedom.

-Your main motivation is just vague enough for you to project your character on the Marked One. You don't even have a Benny you wanna look for to kill even though your main task says 'Kill the Strelok.' You don't know who that is because there was never a face to the proverbial gun that shot you. You could run odd jobs for Sidorovich for probably ever if you wanted to ignore that main quest.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

MisterBibs posted:

To an extent. Almost everybody who was actually crucial to the game's story was tucked away somewhere that it was impossible (or at least exceedingly unlikely) for them to get offed before you got to them. Also, nearly everybody had a PDA on them that would let you still get any information you needed from them, which led to a sort of bizarre urgency-dissonance where you'd need to move quickly to save a guy who's trapped by bandits or whatever, but there wasn't any actual consequence if you they died beyond their character model laying down and not animating anymore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

U.T. Raptor posted:

The middle ground is to set it so a player can kill a dude when he's doing his "Oh no, I'm not dead but I have no health" spastic flail but random bandits can't. Because sometimes I just don't like an NPC and want them to go away, quests they have or plotlines they're involved in be damned. Maybe if I kill Bob, the King of Quests the game could have like a journal in his room where he left a memo to himself saying he should probably hire someone to go kill that dragon what did the bad thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

If this is a thing it's definitely not in call of pripyat, where important NPCs are just about always in safe places.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So if anyone's on the fence about Mafia III as I was, having read the reviews but thinking, how bad can it be, if the story is that good it's gonna make up for the tedious gameplay: yes, that bad, and it does not.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

U.T. Raptor posted:

I liked that in New Vegas you could murder anyone and still get through the game. I didn't like it so much in the Honest Hearts expansion when the first guy you meet could die just before you talked to him and then all the quests for the expansion popped as completed/ended. That was pretty dumb.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

So if anyone's on the fence about Mafia III as I was, having read the reviews but thinking, how bad can it be, if the story is that good it's gonna make up for the tedious gameplay: yes, that bad, and it does not.

Mafia truly is the classic franchise for shooting itself in the dick in some way.

Mafia 1 got poo poo by having an unneccessary and loving impossible mandatory racing mission, with the overall difficulty curve going all over the place. I think it also had somewhat weird controls/camera.
Mafia 2 got poo poo by making every loving thing a DLC, including the freeroam mode in a GTA clone. They didn't even bother hiding the fact that the enforced story mode was an afterthought.
Mafia 3 gets poo poo by being technically feeble and including features which are broken.

Hey, at least they find a different thing to gently caress up every time?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I remember the exact point I stopped playing Skyrim,when I couldn't kill the nord king,it would make skyrim way better if anyone could die "game of thrones" style but they're too loving lazy too implement it.

Skyrim sucks anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the invincible NPCs in Skyrim are loving dumb because they have the functionality to make them killable after their relevant quest(s) are complete but they just don't do it 90% of the time. And some of them are just flavour NPCs that were never important but some developer loves I guess.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah one of the biggest problems in Hollow knight is contact damage which just needs to die off as a thing in games already. If you use the Defender's Crest for the Lost Kin battle it'll kill the adds from what I heard. I got lucky spamming the soul blast.

Also gently caress all teleporting enemies stay still so I can hit you :argh:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I remember the exact point I stopped playing Skyrim,when I couldn't kill the nord king,it would make skyrim way better if anyone could die "game of thrones" style but they're too loving lazy too implement it.

Skyrim sucks anyway.

You know that Dark Brotherhood quest where you murder everyone in a room? That's all I'd wanna do in a TES game.

Give me Janky Tolkien HITMAN, Bethesda.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Der Kyhe posted:

Mafia truly is the classic franchise for shooting itself in the dick in some way.

Mafia 1 got poo poo by having an unneccessary and loving impossible mandatory racing mission, with the overall difficulty curve going all over the place. I think it also had somewhat weird controls/camera.
Mafia 2 got poo poo by making every loving thing a DLC, including the freeroam mode in a GTA clone. They didn't even bother hiding the fact that the enforced story mode was an afterthought.
Mafia 3 gets poo poo by being technically feeble and including features which are broken.

https://youtu.be/0lestiMZ4qk

This guy did a retrospective on the Mafia series and basically says that he appreciated how the first two committed to their story and didn't gamify the experience the way GTA tries to juggle and thus manages to keep a consistent tone. The downside is that there's a lot of dead spaces and it's not that fun traversing the city because going over the speed limit runs the risk of getting a speeding ticket.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Action Tortoise posted:

You know that Dark Brotherhood quest where you murder everyone in a room? That's all I'd wanna do in a TES game.

Give me Janky Tolkien HITMAN, Bethesda.

Oh for sure,i've never played an Assassins creed game but I like the thought of running on rooftops and being sneaky,it's why I like dishonoured.

Spider-Man 2's swinging and city traversal + dishonoured's setting + archery like skyrim = bosh!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh for sure,i've never played an Assassins creed game but I like the thought of running on rooftops and being sneaky,it's why I like dishonoured.

Spider-Man 2's swinging and city traversal + dishonoured's setting + archery like skyrim = bosh!

Assassin's Creed somehow makes the idea of being that kind of stealth game boring. 2 is the closest to hit that mark but the rest of the series is overstuffed with features and people talk up IV more for the pirate stuff than the AssCreed stuff.

Syndicate looked good but I'm still burned out from the series even though my last entry was Brotherhood.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Mafia is a franchise built entirely on the fact that the first game's free-roam mode was, at the time, one of the only GTA clones trying to do something different. It was neat to have this more restrictive open area with more enforced laws, slower cars, etc. You had to play the game differently, and I think that won it a lot of fans. Nobody ever liked it because it was actually good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Desperate Character posted:

If you use the Defender's Crest for the Lost Kin battle it'll kill the adds from what I heard

This worked perfectly, thanks for the tip.

And like I thought, without having to focus on the adds, the fight was a lot of fun.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'd honestly have everybody essential, that was important - like forever. Or at least an "easy-mode" option, instead of having to download a mod, or flag everyone you want alive as essential in the geck.
Also no-clipping would have been impossible for me in NV, since I had it and 3 on the 360, then I ended up getting 3 on PC and could never go back to console fallouts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Just wrapped up Horizon: Zero Dawn and gently caress the post credits stinger. The game has its issues but i found it an overall enjoyable open world title. Then it goes and ruins it by turning your ally against you and basically negating the last boss fight. I know every game has to have sequel bait but this actively pissed me off.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Action Tortoise posted:

. The downside is that there's a lot of dead spaces and it's not that fun traversing the city because going over the speed limit runs the risk of getting a speeding ticket.

While I doubt it was intentional, it really worked well for me, roughly by the time you realise that despite the suits & rules the Mafia are still garbage people you've figured out the rules of the traffic system and work around it only really slowing down when you absolutely have to. Works roughly the same as the police XP in Sleeping Dogs.

Actually not having the complex police system dragged down Mafia 3 for me, when you build a game around a black guy being persecuted by the law, having the most lenient model of the standard open world police system really doesn't do you any favours.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Mafia 1 police had silly quirks. You could completely ignore on-foot police men for the most part, you'd lose them because they can't catch up to you, otherwise they had to run to a police-box to actually report the crime.
Red light? Drive on the footpath.
The game had a stay-hidden/swap cars cooldown system you could abuse too.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

RyokoTK posted:

Yeahh- Lost Kin was probably the boss I had the most trouble with. He had one of the more "guess what I'm about to do at any given moment" attack patterns and with the ghost spawns and "making contact with an idle enemy hurts you!" elements it's a real trial.

I just found the best strategy to be wailing on him whenever possible, taking out adds with attacks that will also hit him, and when you knock him down take out the most recently spawned add and chain heal twice, which really isn't much of a strat I know.
That fight really boiled down to "be good"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just wrapped up Horizon: Zero Dawn and gently caress the post credits stinger. The game has its issues but i found it an overall enjoyable open world title. Then it goes and ruins it by turning your ally against you and basically negating the last boss fight. I know every game has to have sequel bait but this actively pissed me off.

To be fair that was foreshadowed - he warns you that he'd do the same thing again given the chance but more carefully next time, and he is smart enough that he probably made sure that that lamp thing didn't even have wifi capabilities, so Hades is probably well neutered as long as he remains in there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quick synthesis in ff14. If you craft an item you can do a quick synth of it where you just do 1 animation and its crafted. Its nice to quickly craft up a bunch of base materials. So the issue is it is rng if you fail or not (or get hqs) and I guess the chances increase on your level? Your item level? Your stats? hosed if I can find any concrete proof on the internet, but point is at level 70 with equally matching gear I still get a 40% failure rate on recipes at 62. So ok, I get it what you're saying. I'll just make a macro on my keyboard that I can press that'll hit numpad 0, wait half a second, numpad 0, 1, 1 and repeats to bulk craft these materials that I can finish in 2 actions while I walk away and do something else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Quick synthesis in ff14. If you craft an item you can do a quick synth of it where you just do 1 animation and its crafted. Its nice to quickly craft up a bunch of base materials. So the issue is it is rng if you fail or not (or get hqs) and I guess the chances increase on your level? Your item level? Your stats? hosed if I can find any concrete proof on the internet, but point is at level 70 with equally matching gear I still get a 40% failure rate on recipes at 62. So ok, I get it what you're saying. I'll just make a macro on my keyboard that I can press that'll hit numpad 0, wait half a second, numpad 0, 1, 1 and repeats to bulk craft these materials that I can finish in 2 actions while I walk away and do something else.
Don't do crafting in FF14.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Poulpe posted:

Yeahh- Lost Kin was probably the boss I had the most trouble with. He had one of the more "guess what I'm about to do at any given moment" attack patterns and with the ghost spawns and "making contact with an idle enemy hurts you!" elements it's a real trial.

I just found the best strategy to be wailing on him whenever possible, taking out adds with attacks that will also hit him, and when you knock him down take out the most recently spawned add and chain heal twice, which really isn't much of a strat I know.
That fight really boiled down to "be good"

Lost Kin becomes trivialised with ONE WEIRD TRICK:
Just equip the Defender's Crest charm that you got for beating Dung Defender.
Bam now you have an AOE damage aura and will instantly kill the adds and can just focus on the actual fight.

Secret tip to fighting most of the other bosses that don't have invulnerability phases or annoying mobility:
Just equip the Stalwart Shell charm (more invulnerability frames when hit), maybe the Thorns charm (do revenge damage) and all the health-boosting charms you can. Ignore healing, just facetank the boss to death.
This probably works way better for fighting Crystal Guardian 2 than the 'normal' way. It's how I did it, anyway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
New Super Mario Brothers 2, we have to talk.

It's kinda okay that I don't get credit for getting those big coins if I don't complete the course.

It's kinda okay that you've got pink auto-kill water that rises and falls.

It's kinda okay to have platforms that fall out from under you if you stand on them for more than a few seconds.

It's not okay to have all three, jesus gently caress. You're only proving that platformers are best played emulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's really no reason for the camera in Luftrausers to be so zoomed-in when spatial awareness and controlling the battlefield and racking up combos is such an integral part of the game. At least give us camera options or a minimap or something.