Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

How is this different than Fate/Stay Night? This might be what we watched, actually.. its on NetFlix.

The "Fate/Stay Night" anime was an adaptation of the Shirou&Saber story by Studio DEEN, which wasn't very good. The "Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" anime was an adaptation of the Shirou&Rin story by Ufotable, which was much better. Confusingly there was also "Unlimited Blade Works", a movie adaptation of the Shirou&Rin story by Studio DEEN, which was rubbish again.

I think the good Ufotable one is the one on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Rin is best girl so anything with her is okay in my book.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

NRVNQSR posted:

The "Fate/Stay Night" anime was an adaptation of the Shirou&Saber story by Studio DEEN, which wasn't very good. The "Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" anime was an adaptation of the Shirou&Rin story by Ufotable, which was much better. Confusingly there was also "Unlimited Blade Works", a movie adaptation of the Shirou&Rin story by Studio DEEN, which was rubbish again.

I think the good Ufotable one is the one on Netflix?

Yeah that must have been it. What a confusing series..

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
My opinion on Summoning tickets is that you shouldn't impulse use them to pull, but save up at least 20 of them and roll them all one at a time and stop once you got something good/satisfactory, and then save the remaining for the next event.

Probability dictates that while each pull is an independent event, the odds of rolling a SSR increases with more pulls, so 20-50 Summon Tickets followed by 10 Pulls to try to increase your chances. I got Rinshtar and Enkidu via Summoning Tickets and then Ibaraki with 10 pulls right afterwards during Onigaishima.

New Leaf posted:

How is this different than Fate/Stay Night? This might be what we watched, actually.. its on NetFlix.

The original Visual Novel is divided into three "Routes", they are three distinct technically stand alone story lines you play in sequence (completing Fate opens UBW, UBW opens Heaven's Feel).

Each route is stand alone in that after the initial 2-3 days of story they each have a different turning point which diverges the events of the story and events unfold completely differently.

i.e UBW happens because you restrain Saber from injuring Archer outside Shirou's house; Heaven's Feel happens with a combination of you letting Archer get ganged by Saber and then also sufficiently woo'ing Sakura IIRC so she's motivated into joining the HGW war herself to protect you.

Each route has it's own different and distinct ending, and each ending gradually unveils more of the overall mystery behind the events of the HGW and why it seems to have gone off the rails as badly as it did.

Each route also has different themes in addition to the plot being different; Fate is about/has the theme of the relationship between Servant and Master. UBW focuses more on the Servants themselves, and then Heaven's Feel comes back to focusing more on the Masters as characters (This is one of many possible interpretations).

What makes the VN feel so compelling for me is that the writing is actually genuinely good and not just LN romcom dating sim drivel. The different routes are fleshed out and seem to be written to delibately contrast with each other, events and conversations in some routes that have an echo or reverse echo with the other routes. Many conversations take on additional or a different meaning entirely once you've completed different routes.

So in addition to being animated by Ufotable (while Fate was animated by DEEN), the UBW series is also a different story albeit with similarities; as the overall story arc (the war for the Holy Grail) remains the same.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

What makes the VN feel so compelling for me is that the writing is actually genuinely good

what

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Where can you play these?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

Three seasons of Prisma Illya are dubbed as well if you're into magical girl stuff with a Fate twist.

Don't advocate the pedophile show in this thread.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I appreciate the sentiment but the thread dedicated to F/GO is probably not the place to advocate against media featuring such content.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I appreciate the sentiment but the thread dedicated to F/GO is probably not the place to advocate against media featuring such content.

If nothing else it'll make the Prism Illya event difficult to talk about. Well, more difficult to talk about.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it that bad? I only saw a fight scene or two (bazett vs gilgamesh for instance).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It has really good fight scenes and Kuro is an obscenely powerful poverty servant that you get from the Prisma Ilya event

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

New Leaf posted:

There are no actual legal ways to obtain the game in America, you might wanna do some hunting on your own as I'm pretty sure it's easy to play FSN these days with the patch and stuff, but be warned you are in for a lot of loving reading.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

While Fate stuff has been getting licensed willy nilly recently in the west, somehow the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel that started it all is one of the few properties that has no legal way to buy it in America as far as I know. Supposedly the Japanese company has been asking for such an obscene amount of money to license it that no one will touch it.

Either you can find a copy of the PC version of the game (which can be difficult if you stick to legal channels) and use the unofficial english patch and preferably also load it up with the PS2 version to get voices and some enhanced graphics, OR you can read the goon LP that gets you essentially the same experience since it's just reading. Assuming the image hosting on it is still up, that must've been like a decade ago.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have bad news for you about one of the later events.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Is it that bad? I only saw a fight scene or two (bazett vs gilgamesh for instance).

Prisma has some excellent fight scenes, and from what I hear some of the later ones in the manga are even better.

That being said, the rest of it is in no way worth it. Find the fight scenes on youtube or something and stay away from the rest of the show.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

First season is a solid watch and I recommend it. Second season cranked up the bullshit fanservice to an obscene level and the OVA was even more pandering. It can be hard to get through at times. Third season is very story heavy and a decent watch but was super compressed at the end. I think the movie is addressing that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I genuinely wonder why this game keeps throwing choices in story scenes that are basically the same thing but paraphrased.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

There are no actual legal ways to obtain the game in America, you might wanna do some hunting on your own as I'm pretty sure it's easy to play FSN these days with the patch and stuff, but be warned you are in for a lot of loving reading.

To be fair, you could buy a copy from one of the various import stores then apply the patch, but good luck finding a copy. I actually just did some skimming and while I found a decent number of the PS2 and Vita releases, I only saw a single used copy of the original PC version - which of course is the only one the translation patch works with - and it wasn't cheap.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Tired Moritz posted:

I genuinely wonder why this game keeps throwing choices in story scenes that are basically the same thing but paraphrased.
You can the stright guy, or you can be That Guy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

So that when you get teleported a thousand feet into the air by accident you can either scream curses at the useless goddess who did that to you or decide that you might as well try to pull off that piledriver.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, you could buy a copy from one of the various import stores then apply the patch, but good luck finding a copy. I actually just did some skimming and while I found a decent number of the PS2 and Vita releases, I only saw a single used copy of the original PC version - which of course is the only one the translation patch works with - and it wasn't cheap.
There is a newer translation patch that works on the Realta Nua PC release that came out a few years ago (the one that has each route as three separate game installs), and it's definitively the one you want. They even have the option of adding in the Vita OP and music, though it's not integrated super well.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Captain Baal posted:

It has really good fight scenes and Kuro is an obscenely powerful poverty servant that you get from the Prisma Ilya event

Poverty servant? You mean she's a free drop and not Gacha bait?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

the_steve posted:

Nope! Starting with Halloween they'll start giving you free 4* Servants for events and all the resources you need to fully ascend and NP5 them by the end of it. Some of the 4*s are ridiculously good Servants too.

Kuro is the free welfare for the Prisma Illya event and an aforementioned 'ridiculously good' Servant. Illya herself is the 5* Limited. And also the second-worst 5* Caster in the game.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

the_steve posted:

Yes, several Events will give a free 4-star, and by participating in the event and/or farming drops, you can get them fully ascended and to NP 5 as well. Kuro is one of these free 4-stars, among others.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 10, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

There is a newer translation patch that works on the Realta Nua PC release that came out a few years ago (the one that has each route as three separate game installs), and it's definitively the one you want. They even have the option of adding in the Vita OP and music, though it's not integrated super well.

Unfortunately I don't think you can buy that newer release any more either? All the buy links I know of for it are broken.

I think the iOS and Android releases are the only ones that are currently "easy" to get, and there aren't patches for either of them.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
The first free welfare servant everyone will get is Halloween Elizabeth Bathory. A caster class servant that as long as you go through the event itself and complete it, you will keep her permanently.

*Okay, Artoria Lily is the first free one but pfft who cares.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't wait for Rider Kintoki and Assassin Shiki.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Pureauthor posted:

Illya herself is the 5* Limited. And also the second-worst 5* Caster in the game.
Was The 5* Illya that bad? I don't remember her being a terrible Caster but it's been a while.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pureauthor posted:

Nope! Starting with Halloween they'll start giving you free 4* Servants for events and all the resources you need to fully ascend and NP5 them by the end of it. Some of the 4*s are ridiculously good Servants too.

Kuro is the free welfare for the Prisma Illya event and an aforementioned 'ridiculously good' Servant. Illya herself is the 5* Limited. And also the second-worst 5* Caster in the game.

Sweet!
I just wanted to make sure you meant that poverty, and not some different context like "She's 3* and therefore easier to ascend, but her stats are as good as a 4*" sort of poverty.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Forbidden Pages aren't in the drop list yet, are they? I've got Andersen at 35 and no one else that's a really good Caster... still haven't rolled Waver and I'm suffering, both tacticswise and because Team Zero Rider is my favorite.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

RanKizama posted:

Was The 5* Illya that bad? I don't remember her being a terrible Caster but it's been a while.

She's an Offensive Caster, which means she suffers the 0.9 damage modifier all Casters do. Strike 1.
Her skillset is terrible. Why does she have a selfcast Buster buff skill when she has ONE Buster card? And why is her Guts skill a chance to activate? Strike 2.
Why, why, why does she suffer an attack and defense penalty for using her Noble Phantasm??? Also Buster-based NP on an Arts-based Caster. At least it's single-target. Strike 3.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for Rider Kintoki and Assassin Shiki.

How do Assassin Shiki and Saber Shiki compare? Is one of them clearly better than the other, or is it more of a different roles deal?

A GODDAMN TYPO posted:

Forbidden Pages aren't in the drop list yet, are they? I've got Andersen at 35 and no one else that's a really good Caster... still haven't rolled Waver and I'm suffering, both tacticswise and because Team Zero Rider is my favorite.

They are not. It should be possible to get a fixed number in the first major event; fifteen, I think? That should happen within a month.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Victory obtained at Thiers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Largepotato posted:

Victory obtained at Thiers.

2 down, 36 to go?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Pureauthor posted:

She's an Offensive Caster, which means she suffers the 0.9 damage modifier all Casters do. Strike 1.
Her skillset is terrible. Why does she have a selfcast Buster buff skill when she has ONE Buster card? And why is her Guts skill a chance to activate? Strike 2.
Why, why, why does she suffer an attack and defense penalty for using her Noble Phantasm??? Also Buster-based NP on an Arts-based Caster. At least it's single-target. Strike 3.
Burster Buff is meant to be used with her NP, which you should be charging non-stop since she has 3 Arts cards as well as a passive ability that charges her NP every turn regardless. So also has an ability to increase her NP charge rate so overcharging her is ridiculously easy. Her NP is a drat good hit too despite the debuff that shouldn't be there. I think you can use her guts ability to potentially cancel the debuff, but I can't remember off-hand. Is that the chance thing you're referring to?

Also, her special craft essence gives the entire party an 8% boost to loving everything which is great.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/mashiro_fgolove/status/884334894914035713

:3::3::3:

e: regarding magical girls I'd invest money if there was a Pretty Cure Max Heart collabo, already playing that mobage anyway

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 10, 2017

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

NRVNQSR posted:

2 down, 36 to go?

5 more for second Martha ascension. :suicide:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There is a reason I was hoarding quartz in JP

Now to decide to go for the bait gatcha or wait for the new swimsuit servants

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

RanKizama posted:

Burster Buff is meant to be used with her NP, which you should be charging non-stop since she has 3 Arts cards as well as a passive ability that charges her NP every turn regardless. So also has an ability to increase her NP charge rate so overcharging her is ridiculously easy. Her NP is a drat good hit too despite the debuff that shouldn't be there. I think you can use her guts ability to potentially cancel the debuff, but I can't remember off-hand. Is that the chance thing you're referring to?

Also, her special craft essence gives the entire party an 8% boost to loving everything which is great.

Obviously she has a gameplan. I mean, so does Sumanai. It's that her gameplan gives her several bad drawbacks that others don't have to suffer. Really it's down to the fact that if you're using a Caster as your Offensive frontline in the first place, you'd almost always be better off bringing a Berseker like Vlad III. Even if you want to debate whether she's on par or slightly better than Sanzang and Da Vinci, Support SSR Casters completely blow away Offensive Casters in terms of usefulness.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Pureauthor posted:

Obviously she has a gameplan. I mean, so does Sumanai. It's that her gameplan gives her several bad drawbacks that others don't have to suffer. Really it's down to the fact that if you're using a Caster as your Offensive frontline in the first place, you'd almost always be better off bringing a Berseker like Vlad III. Even if you want to debate whether she's on par or slightly better than Sanzang and Da Vinci, Support SSR Casters completely blow away Offensive Casters in terms of usefulness.
That's a fair assessment. I remember using Illya as a backline support with her crafted essence and just had her stack NP until she was overcharged as all hell then one-shot whatever she was targeting. I always considered her a one-trick character, but I never considered her to be bad per say. :shrug:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bholder posted:

There is a reason I was hoarding quartz in JP

Now to decide to go for the bait gatcha or wait for the new swimsuit servants

Tfw you don't want to be baited, but you also want your level 100 Kiyolancer to move beyond NP1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Tfw you don't want to be baited, but you also want your level 100 Kiyolancer to move beyond NP1

That's the thing, I didn't get anyone last time...