Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh that's his punishment, isn't it? To die ingloriously out of combat, rendered even unable to quip effectively by riddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
We already had Belkar dying of a wasting disease (or close enough) and he only got stronger and more awesome from it. He'll be fine.

Till he's not.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Relax, y'all. I've took Burlew's cat hostage back in 2016 and given him an ultimatum. Belkar will be OK.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Let us know if ya start talking in riddles in a few weeks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Relax, y'all. I've took Burlew's cat hostage back in 2016 and given him an ultimatum. Belkar will be OK.

By the time Rich actually reaches the point where Belkar dies that cat will have died of old age and your threats will be useless.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm glad that Hel is maintaining the tradition established by Thor, Odin, and Loki of the Northern Gods being essentially incompetent idiots.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

jng2058 posted:

I'm glad that Hel is maintaining the tradition established by Thor, Odin, and Loki of the Northern Gods being essentially incompetent idiots.

Loki seems okay tbh.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Looking forward to the next year of giantitp posters fixating on this joke in the endless rotating Belkar Death Watch.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Aw man, look at those sad dwarf-souls toiling for Hel :(

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ESDK posted:

Aw man, look at those sad dwarf-souls toiling for Hel :(

Should have known better than to die of disease :colbert:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I'd have expected a god of disease to just, you know, afflict people with divine boils or whatever? Like the times in the bible God smote huge groups with hemorrhoids or sudden infant death syndrome. I mean, she's a god, why does she need to follow the natural incubation period of a plague? When Thor hurls lightning he just does it, he doesn't stand around checking if there's enough static in the local clouds.

No wonder she has no worshipers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Galvanik posted:

I'd have expected a god of disease to just, you know, afflict people with divine boils or whatever? Like the times in the bible God smote huge groups with hemorrhoids or sudden infant death syndrome. I mean, she's a god, why does she need to follow the natural incubation period of a plague? When Thor hurls lightning he just does it, he doesn't stand around checking if there's enough static in the local clouds.

Turns out she's Hela bad at her job.

:v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Galvanik posted:

They can only directly affect their domain within the boundaries of natural laws, and require clerics to affect the world directly

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dias posted:

Turns out she's Hela bad at her job.

:v:

Na that's the Marvel version.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ikanreed posted:

They can only directly affect their domain within the boundaries of natural laws, and require clerics to affect the world directly

Yeah, when Hel starts directly killing the people trying to stop her world destruction plot is when thor starts hammering any vamped dwarven clan leaders with lightning. The rules of when you're allowed to using your divine magic are on the net to Hel's benefit because there are frankly a lot more gods that don't want her to be queen of the northern gods than those who do. Even her dad is on her poo poo list right now!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Also, it's a plot point that Hel's a pretty wimpy god, on account of having very few worshippers and/or dwarven souls to feed her divine power. Skulking and deal making are pretty much her only options.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the god of giants could do better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eifert Posting posted:

I feel like the god of giants could do better.

Eh, when most of your followers are designed to be killed by adventurers there's still only so much you can do.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Shugojin posted:

Eh, when most of your followers are designed to be killed by adventurers there's still only so much you can do.

Redcloak is positively seething and he's not sure why.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I still wonder if Rich will weasel his way out of the Belkar death thing. We already had one fake out with the vamping. It just somehow feels like the prophecy foreshadowing thing is too easy/obvious for Rich's tastes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I still wonder if Rich will weasel his way out of the Belkar death thing. We already had one fake out with the vamping. It just somehow feels like the prophecy foreshadowing thing is too easy/obvious for Rich's tastes.

There is 100% going to be a twist. Belkar isn't going to die randomly to a generic random encounter or something and when/if he does die it's not going to be what Roy expects. Roy being aware of the prophecy means that it can't come true in his easily predicted way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The twist is that he's gonna "die" in the Shakespearean sense. :heysexy:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Belkar dies but then stabs a bunch of gods at a cruicial moment.

He doesn't get resurrected or anything tho.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Belkar will probably die and ascend to godhood to replace a god who is killed during a future plot even where it's god vs. god.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Midniter posted:

Belkar will probably die and ascend to godhood to replace a god who is killed during a future plot even where it's god vs. god.

Well, there is an entire pantheon that needs to be refilled.
The EASTERN Pantheon. You know with gods like, Zeus, Aprodite and.....ARES, GOD OF WAR

Although, Belkar is really less a God of War and a God of Stabbing things repeatedly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The title is Sexy Shoeless God of War, thank you very much.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Although, Belkar is really less a God of War and a God of Stabbing things repeatedly.

He'll have few things in his portfolio.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Alright, calling it.

In dealing with the Snarl, or the world within the snarl or whatever it is, they find the God Essences of the slain Eastern gods.
Belkar gets his poo poo hosed up by...whatever, and etc etc etc, becomes a (minor?) god. or demigod.
Those don't need to breathe.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Johnny Aztec posted:

Alright, calling it.

In dealing with the Snarl, or the world within the snarl or whatever it is, they find the God Essences of the slain Eastern gods.
Belkar gets his poo poo hosed up by...whatever, and etc etc etc, becomes a (minor?) god. or demigod.
Those don't need to breathe.

If they don't all become gods of the new planet I want my money back.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I just want Elan's happy ending.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Malpais Legate posted:

I just want Elan's happy ending.

We've had it.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

ZearothK posted:

This is going to be The Twist, and I am so mad I didn't think of it until now.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

ZearothK posted:

yeah, but as karmic justice, he'll become Belkar, Halfling God of Shoes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mylan posted:

yeah, but as karmic justice, he'll become Belkar, Halfling God of Shoes.

Actually, what if he was the God of Shoes, cooking and cats.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rumda posted:

We've had it.

Please, that's as stupid a cop-out as the ones the oracle tried here

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Elan's character arc really was to gain the begrudging respect of his peers. Other than Durkon who may well have been vamped before seeing Elan's change for the partially useful he has that now even a little from Belkar. I can't really see anywhere else for Elan to go.

Hell Elan even faced the fact that he loved stories more than he cared about people in the form of his father and realized that a strong narrative is a really bad thing to chain your entire life to.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

reignofevil posted:

Elan's character arc really was to gain the begrudging respect of his peers. Other than Durkon who may well have been vamped before seeing Elan's change for the partially useful he has that now even a little from Belkar. I can't really see anywhere else for Elan to go.

I was really struck by the fact that Roy told Elan to rest up along with V in the most recent strip. Before, Roy would only tell V and Durkon to rest up, because he didn't care what Elan did. But now he finally respects Elan's casting abilities enough to treat them like a strategic resource.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Elan's magic works on Roy's true passion: Architecture.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alan is also the sole healer the party has access too.

Which has to be troubling to a tank like Roy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eifert Posting posted:

Alan is also the sole healer the party has access too.

Which has to be troubling to a tank like Roy.
I'm curious what your autocorrect makes of the other characters' names.