Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
Those headphones promote talking to people I'm playing with. That seems against the goon code of conduct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what is the ratio of useful to stupid idiot phrases on the built in chat wheel? I wish to fit in as much of the latter onto mine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Futaba Anzu posted:

what is the ratio of useful to stupid idiot phrases on the built in chat wheel? I wish to fit in as much of the latter onto mine

There's only two, "This way" and "Booyah". It's all you need.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

lmao if everyone here would ever use the official poo poo instead of something more logical like mumble or discord

Couldn't you use this with discord? I thought the dongle just took two audio streams to output as one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JetpackHowwy posted:

Couldn't you use this with discord? I thought the dongle just took two audio streams to output as one.

yeah that's it!

along with some fresh looking headphones

:yeah:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Futaba Anzu posted:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Lakbay posted:

Will I have to buy the dumb headset if I want to play with goons

No. We don't even know yet how Nintendo's version of voice chat works, but I don't think it's mandatory.

We'll still need to use Friend Codes, tho.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You don't need codes to make friends, friend

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I miss c'mon. It's much more versatile than "this way".

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Until Marina can drop sick beats and freestyles like Pearl she will always be inferior.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kirios posted:

Until Marina can drop sick beats and freestyles like Pearl she will always be inferior.

Marina is the one dropping the beats, you moron. Marina is the DJ and Pearl is the MC. It's a classic set up

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I want to make sure you all are absolutely clear that NO I am not getting on voice. and god help you if you effect my rank scores.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I want to make sure you all are absolutely clear that NO I am not getting on voice. and god help you if you effect my rank scores.

If I recall correctly you go solo for ranked, unless you're talking about league in which case spamming booyea and c'mon this way will be more than sufficient

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

oh yeah I never did squad matches cause at ..S? it stopped giving points which defeated my goal of maybe staying in S+ for more than 5 minutes. Need those rank points!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's probably for the best I can't afford voice chat. I have yelled some very hurtful things to probably literal children while playing the first Splatoon.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Marina is the one dropping the beats, you moron. Marina is the DJ and Pearl is the MC. It's a classic set up

Friend if you're going to tell me Pearl isn't the talent then it is you who is the moron.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

It's probably for the best I can't afford voice chat. I have yelled some very hurtful things to probably literal children while playing the first Splatoon.

I don't think having 12 year olds cussing non stop while painting is my idea of a good time, but what do you expect with goons playing?

edit: grammar

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Coolspaz posted:

I don't think having 12 year olds cussing non stop while painting is my idea of a good time, but what do you expect with goons playing?

edit: grammar

People generally want to talk about things that aren't game related, and this is tiresome.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Even though the logistics of the official Splatoon 2 headset are silly I ordered one because the idea of having a Splatoon headset is awesome and I like the actual design.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

grand theft grotto posted:

Even though the logistics of the official Splatoon 2 headset are silly I ordered one because the idea of having a Splatoon headset is awesome and I like the actual design.

Yeah plus if I don't like the sound quality I get the dongle out of it for mixing and can use my preferred headset instead, if that works.

The real question is where the gently caress are our splatoon 2 joycons?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

alarumklok posted:

You don't need codes to make friends, friend

Or if you just add all your wiiu friends

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If i recall correctly, splatoon 2 voice chat is only between your friends, but i might be remembering wrong

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The real question is where the gently caress are our splatoon 2 joycons?

Maybe you're asking about a US release which they sadly haven't announced, but considering Switch isn't region locked in any way, I imagine we could import them easy enough by the end of the month.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I'm super hyped for splatoon, but I hit a problem--I can't decide whether to buy the Japanese or North American version. I'm living in Japan, but my native language is English. I can read Japanese fine, but I'll be missing some puns and cultural references, and it seems like that's a big draw for the English version. Normal matchmaking isn't region locked, but I would a member of the splatfests taking place in NA while I'm at work / playing against overseas players only.

Is the style and culture of the English version worth missing out on Splatfests? Anyone else in a similar situation?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Mongoose posted:

I'm super hyped for splatoon, but I hit a problem--I can't decide whether to buy the Japanese or North American version. I'm living in Japan, but my native language is English. I can read Japanese fine, but I'll be missing some puns and cultural references, and it seems like that's a big draw for the English version. Normal matchmaking isn't region locked, but I would a member of the splatfests taking place in NA while I'm at work / playing against overseas players only.

Is the style and culture of the English version worth missing out on Splatfests? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Personally I'd go for Japan for their not-Miiverse art since up there they seem to have a general skill to draw decent drawings compared to the west, but to each their own. At least you won't risk dealing with laggy American players. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Coolspaz posted:

As long as the gear you get from salmon run is not required to compete I'm all for it. It will bug me if theres a BIS that you can only get from a certain salmon run boss that only opens up every 6 months

From the brief look at it we got in the direct, it looked like Salmon Run was open for one whole day about every two or three days. So this shouldn't happen.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Do y'all want a separate spreadsheet for Goon Splatoon players? One that we can update with the weapons we're maining, ranks, playtimes, etc?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Do y'all want a separate spreadsheet for Goon Splatoon players? One that we can update with the weapons we're maining, ranks, playtimes, etc?

I'm not sure people are actually gonna bother keeping that stuff updated, but idk.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

I'm not sure people are actually gonna bother keeping that stuff updated, but idk.

That's true. Doing matchmaking in the thread and elsewhere would probably be easiest.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Never played the original, but I'm hyped up for this thanks to this thread. I made a fudgy cheesecake the other day that was pretty good, so obviously team cake. How does this affect the game?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is no one talking about the prawn that goes "I REGRET EVERYTHING" after you talk to the Sea Slug Hippie or is that somehow just in my game?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

ovenboy posted:

Never played the original, but I'm hyped up for this thanks to this thread. I made a fudgy cheesecake the other day that was pretty good, so obviously team cake. How does this affect the game?

On the 15th you can duke it out with team cake in the turf war game mode for dessert supremacy. There'll probably be a concert in Inkopolis square with Pearl and Marina while the Splatfest runs as well. In 1 there was a payout of a special currency for fiddling with your gear that depended on how well your team did and how high your rank was, but I'm not sure if they're doing that for the demo.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 11, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

game mode for desert supremacy

:cheeky:

*dessert

ovenboy posted:

Its easy to miss, but if you load up the demo now, you can find a little stand in the middle of the square that lets you pick team cake or team icecream, and put on your team t-shirt. Then this weekend we'll all throw down in the demo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Futaba Anzu posted:

IM USING TILT CONTROLS!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/884701423484653569

Tickets are rewards from Salmon Run and something called Hero Mode.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Tickets are rewards from Salmon Run and something called Hero Mode.

Hero mode is the single-player "rescue Callie" campaign

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

spit on my clit posted:

If i recall correctly, splatoon 2 voice chat is only between your friends, but i might be remembering wrong
I think in the Direct they mentioned that through the App it's a dedicated chat for you team. So I would think that even if you're just playing with 3 strangers you'll be able/have to chat with them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hero mode is the single-player "rescue Callie" campaign

Is it weird that I'm most excited for this (and Salmon Run)?

I mean, I'm going to play a ton of Turf War like usual, but I'm really really interested in unraveling the mystery of Splatoon 2's HERO MODE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The twist is that Callie has a significant other and is trying to hide it from the paparazzi.

And Cap'n Cuttlefish, if it's an Octarian.