Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'm starting to get some game-type situations to play in! I also finally got to see one of the first pictures taken of me in action during cross ice this past Friday. Composition of the picture is great, but I can't help but nitpick myself.

Good:
My eyes are tracking the puck.
I very clearly made this save, and made it look easy.
I say that because I had this guy scouted out and he pretty much always shoots for that spot, so score one for good prep.

Bad:
Mismatched leg pads with gloves, I clearly don't look better than anyone on the ice with this getup.
Stick not covering 5 hole properly (luckily my knees were together).

I think the angle on the picture has me believing i'm giving up a little bit more net short side than I actually am. The shot release was probably right around in line with the right edge of the hash marks in the circle. Slightly overlapping my left leg instead of jamming my skates into the post probably wouldn't have been a bad idea. I also think I may be a bit deep, but I blame that on this being cross ice and having practically no landmarks to work with.

But hey, I only gave up like four goals that mini game while the other guy got shelled for like 12, so I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Against tight angle shots I tend to try and remain standing or go into a VH depending on how close the shooter is. You look pretty tall so I'd agree with doing a butterfly to make this save, but you're correct that additional depth would be a good choice. It's a hard read with a close in play like this because you're trying to decide if he's going to shoot, cut to the inside or take it around the net.

You're right about your stick position being a little off with 5 hole coverage, but you are keeping your hands out in front of you, which is a positive. Your body position suggests that you were a bit off your angle to make a glove save at that distance, but you still made the same. From my experience, I try and rely on body positioning when making tight in saves because it's very difficult to effectively react to a shot from that tight in.

I've been playing really well the past couple of weeks in pickup. In fact a few people have asked me what C league team I play for (I'm a D leaguer at best.). I started working a bit with a goalie coach a month or two ago and the biggest thing I took away from that was proper stick positioning. I have a tendency to pull the heel up on my stick and it makes it so that I lose coverage and stopping ability with the stick. I adjusted my blocker positioning and switched to a wooden stick with a slightly longer paddle and I'm making way more saves down low with the stick. I'm using a 26" paddle, which may be a little long for my height (5'9") but I feel like it complements my standing stance better than a shorter paddle.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I was asked to sub a second game in a row in goal a couple of divisions above where I normally play. I wasn't doing too terribly for a couple of periods, but the ref gave me the best burn while taking the puck for a faceoff. "I told them this is your Make a Wish game."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ManicJason posted:

I was asked to sub a second game in a row in goal a couple of divisions above where I normally play. I wasn't doing too terribly for a couple of periods, but the ref gave me the best burn while taking the puck for a faceoff. "I told them this is your Make a Wish game."

drat that's a good one.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

That is literally what Bootcha calls his games where he plays up a division.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ManicJason posted:

Speaking of 'Make a Wish', I've finally bought a car after moving to the UK so this week is going to be my first game in over a year. I've missed playing like fuckin crazy, but I also realize that holy poo poo it's been a year since I've been on ice.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Playing hockey is just about the only reason I need a car. I commute on a motorcycle and live next to a train/bus station.

I've had to pay for rides with beer for a few weeks now while my car has a short :(

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I missed a couple weeks of clinics because of business obligations, but made it back right in time for the goalie coach to return. I got a solid thirty minutes of goaltending drills, getting to pick his brain on situations, then five best of three breakaway drills where I ended up winning four of the five sets.

After that was fifteen minutes of in zone 3-on-3 with the higher ability skaters (including a goalie skating out) followed by fifteen minutes of the same with the lower ability skaters.

The lower ability skaters were a hell of a lot harder than the higher ability group. Partially because I was a good bit more tired by that point, but because the shots they were letting out were at random and odd speeds or just knuckle pucks. I'm told that's fairly common, any truth to it?

The goalie who was skating out in the higher ability group said I should definitely hit the winter league draft skate in net. He thinks I'm ready for the lowest level of mens league.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

YeehawMcKickass posted:

The goalie who was skating out in the higher ability group said I should definitely hit the winter league draft skate in net. He thinks I'm ready for the lowest level of mens league.

In Perth, Australia the lowest level of winter league is basically an extension of the learn to play program, people still can't do some basic skating or stick handling.
It's usually only once they get to the next level up that they actually start learning teamplay

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

In Perth, Australia the lowest level of winter league is basically an extension of the learn to play program, people still can't do some basic skating or stick handling.

This is usually where you quickly learn who isn't worried about charging the goal at top speed with the puck on a breakaway, but isn't quite skilled enough to stop :saddowns:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Martytoof posted:

This is usually where you quickly learn who isn't worried about charging the goal at top speed with the puck on a breakaway, but isn't quite skilled enough to stop :saddowns:

And then the refs are just like oh he just fell over no penalty.

gently caress you, that was loving reckless, give them a loving penalty

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Oh hey, I'm goaltending at a low-intermediate level private pickup tonight. :toot:

Edit: Man that was fun.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 13, 2017

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I went to my first goalie clinic over the weekend.
First time on the ice fully dressed. And I almost had it right. Once I was sorted out (who needs circulation in your legs or free movement?) I had fun!

I took a puck dead to the face and laughed. gently caress yeah, let's do this poo poo again!!!!

I need to break in my chesty and it was recommended that I just wear it a lot and let my natural oh so delightful sweat help break it down. So of course I want to do something stupid. Like wear it for a bit in my barely air conditioned gym in Texas where it's triple digits until the sun burns out and doing some overhead work.

That's...that's probably a really bad idea...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just put it in the bathroom while you're taking a shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Just put it in the bathroom while you're taking a shower.

Oh, well, I guess if you're going to use LOGIC...
(thanks)

• Locked thread