Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I imagine plenty of people who didn't watch the programme saw the Amicus films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaz-L posted:

Sean Bean, the other Northerner that Americans sort of recognise from movies.

We've already seen Nine's canonical regeneration scene :colbert:.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

learnincurve posted:

You were a sad lonely child if you were not playing cybermen and Daleks with all the other children though.

You could, indeed, grow up to be a creepy motherfucker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I'm fairly hopeful about for the next season is that the new Doctor won't necessarily have a home base and won't necessarily have to pick his companions up to go on adventures. While the companions' lives outside the Doctor and ability to visit home has been an enjoyable part of the programme since 2005, that's been the case for several seasons now and I wouldn't object if the Doctor just met a new friend and they flew off in the TARDIS and that was more or less that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I'm fairly hopeful about for the next season is that the new Doctor won't necessarily have a home base and won't necessarily have to pick his companions up to go on adventures. While the companions' lives outside the Doctor and ability to visit home has been an enjoyable part of the programme since 2005, that's been the case for several seasons now and I wouldn't object if the Doctor just met a new friend and they flew off in the TARDIS and that was more or less that.

I think a home base is as much a cost thing as anything else. Though the TARDIS should really fit the bill there. Then again, in old Who they binned the TARDIS set after Greatest Show in the Galaxy, and I assume they were struggling for budget at that point too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was Let Him Have It :stonk:

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was The Others, although I didn't realize it until much later.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

First time I saw Tennant was in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Didn't know who he was and didn't pay much attention to those scenes

Also had a dream where the Eleventh Doctor, Missy and Rory were living together and for some reason, the Doctor had "a jar filled with the dried blood of an entire village" in his cupboard and Rory's arm had dropped off at some point and conquered the Horsehead Nebula; compared to them, Missy was the sanest one there

Was quite bizarre and I do believe I've picked up Hiatus Fever

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm fond of the bottle episodes in the classic series. Oh no alternating passing out within the tardis!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Rory's arm had dropped off at some point and conquered the Horsehead Nebula

Rory's arm conquered the Horsehead Nebula?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, reminds me of those people who were all excited to see Jessica Jones because it had David Tennant in it :allears:

On the plus side, he was REALLY loving good in it!

I still think that's a weirdly perfect way to come at Jessica Jones. He plays Kilgrave a lot like he played Ten, but also isn't in a lot of the early chunk of that season. You don't have a lot to go off about him in those first few episodes, you only really know him from Jessica's responses to him (and just the concept of him, not even anything he's doing on-screen). But he gets just enough screentime in those early episodes for someone who's familiar with him from Doctor Who to see that Kilgrave has a lot of mannerisms and speech patterns in common with Ten (he even does Ten's 'Well...' at least once pretty early on).

And if you see that, then you automatically start to read his character and interpret he and Jessica's past through that. And it's remarkably close to the truth when you do, the notion of them as an extremely twisted take on the Ten/Rose relationship in particular gives you a pretty solid grasp on how they were together a good few episodes before the show starts elaborating on it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hangedman1984 posted:

Rory's arm conquered the Horsehead Nebula?
Alas, the dream failed to elaborate on that; Rory was quite cross about it

The dream never said, but I do believe it was his Auton Duplicate

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Also had a dream where the Eleventh Doctor, Missy and Rory were living together and for some reason, the Doctor had "a jar filled with the dried blood of an entire village" in his cupboard and Rory's arm had dropped off at some point and conquered the Horsehead Nebula; compared to them, Missy was the sanest one there

I could buy pretty much all of this as a mid-late Season 6 plotline, to be honest.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Bicyclops posted:

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was The Others, although I didn't realize it until much later.

The first thing I saw him in was Gone in Sixty Seconds. It was a bit of a weird moment when I went back and realised that the guy who got a hard on for wood furniture, or whatever the hell his gimmick was, was the Ninth Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I first knew him as the bad guy in 28 Days Later.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

docbeard posted:

I could buy pretty much all of this as a mid-late Season 6 plotline, to be honest.
Replacing the Lodger or Closing Time, perhaps?

Wait, no; that means getting rid of STORMAGEDDON, DARK LORD OF ALL, so that's out

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 10, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This isn't relevant to anything but I just happened upon this interview with Steven Moffat about Extremis: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-20/doctor-who-exclusive-steven-moffat-reveals-the-secrets-of-extremis

And in the middle of it he's just casually tossing out killer story ideas that I'm sad I won't get to see

quote:

Mulkern: Confession time. One point in Extremis still puzzles me. Nardole says he’s followed the Doctor from Darillium on the express orders of his late wife River Song – but how has Nardole come by her diary? After River died in the 2008 two-parter Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, David Tennant’s Doctor left her diary behind in the Library.

Moffat: Short answer: you can always get a book out of a library.
Slightly longer answer: the Tenth Doctor had no choice but leave it there – it was full of incendiary information about his future. But once that future was lived, he’d have to get it back some time. He couldn’t leave all that confidential stuff lying around in a Vashta Nerada-infested library, could he? So one day Nardole got it for him. (Actually, there’s a whole story in my head about this, but not one I’ll ever get to write now. The last time he sees River – it’s terribly sad.)

This unseen offscreen story neatly resolves what I thought was a plot hole between Doctor Mysterio and series 10: Why are the Doctor and Nardole swanning around New York when they've got a vault to guard? Or, if this is pre-vault, when did River give Nardole permission to kick the Doctor's arse? Now it fits: after Doctor Mysterio Nardole went to the Library and met River, then took the diary and followed the Doctor to the murderer planet, or whatever it was.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 11, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nick Briggs, sitting behind Moffat's chair and taking notes: I wonder when I'll be able to get the rights to Nardole...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I was just watching this again. RTD can really write when he wants to, but really, Tennant just acts the gently caress out of it. A quick refresher for those who, like me, haven't watched any Tennant stuff in yonks, and a lovely chance to hear another "good-o" in a finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSK1APQu6K4

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man I really love "Just leave me." "OK, right then, I will."

E:

Journey's End posted:

DOCTOR: Donna. Oh, Donna Noble. I am so sorry. But we had the best of times.
DONNA: No.
DOCTOR: The best. Goodbye.
DONNA: No, no, no. Please. Please. No. No.

The End Of Time posted:

WILF: No really, just leave me. I'm an old man, Doctor. I've had my time.
DOCTOR: Well, exactly. Look at you. Not remotely important. But me? I could do so much more. So much more! But this is what I get. My reward. And it's not fair! Oh. Oh. I've lived too long.
WILF: No. No, no, please, please don't. No, don't! Please don't! Please!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 11, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still love the immediate tonal shift when 10 regenerates into 11. It marks the passing of the torch in so many ways. Tennant to Smith, RTD to Moffat, 10's melancholy to 11's exuberance etc. The way the Doctor shifts from "I don't want to go!" to just being super-excited to have arrived always gets me so pumped up and wanting to rewatch all of season 5 again :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Coincidentally, I just finished the Donna goodbye episode last night. I remembered it being a big mess, and I guess it is, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable big mess. Even the stupid "A boyfriend for Rose" stuff doesn't end up bothering me, or the weird regeneration cheat. It's just a huge, bombastic Murray Gold, CG Dalek, every companion and every spin-off, sad Doctor in the rain, Catherine Tate imitating David Tennant blast. I'm looking forward to going through the specials and starting season 5. I remember them mostly being pretty bad except for Wilf, but maybe I'll have warmed up to some of them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The regeneration cheat isn't even a cheat, the Doctor redirecting the energy or whatever directly leads to Donna saving the day. I don't necessarily like Rose getting her own Doctor but it all wraps up neatly, and I love a good neatly-wrapped-up story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The regeneration cheat isn't even a cheat, the Doctor redirecting the energy or whatever directly leads to Donna saving the day. I don't necessarily like Rose getting her own Doctor but it all wraps up neatly, and I love a good neatly-wrapped-up story.

I mean, it's David Tennant getting shot by the definitely lethal Dalek ray, with a cliffhanger that literally has a big "TO... BE... CONTINUED!" stamped on the screen, followed by him basically saying "Nah," with a bunch of technobabble. I end up liking it in context because the whole finale is just so over-the-top, it's just this enormous celebration of the first four years of the revival. When the next episode is just Donna reciting more and more technobabble that lets her clown on the Daleks, she could have just flown around and shot lasers from her eyes and I'd be on board at that point. It's a great finale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plavski posted:

I was just watching this again. RTD can really write when he wants to, but really, Tennant just acts the gently caress out of it. A quick refresher for those who, like me, haven't watched any Tennant stuff in yonks, and a lovely chance to hear another "good-o" in a finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSK1APQu6K4

I absolutely love the way the "He will knock Four Times" thing was resolved, because it gets pushed right to the end where you're still focusing on the Master and goddamn Rassilon. And just when you feel happy that it's over and Gallifrey has been stopped... tap-tap-tap-tap...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It still baffles me a bit that they called the first part "The End Of Time Part One" instead of "The Master Race"

Speaking of, if the upcoming Christmas special is called anything but "Twelfth Night" it'll be a travesty

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Speaking of, if the upcoming Christmas special is called anything but "Twelfth Night" it'll be a travesty

It's Thirteen Wonderful Lives, surely...

Naah, yours is better.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Five episodes into The Invasion and I'm having a blast. I already knew how much fun Two and Jamie are together but they're amazing in this, Vaughn is such a wonderful scene-chewing villain, and the screaming berserk Cyberman is loving terrifying.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I absolutely love the way the "He will knock Four Times" thing was resolved, because it gets pushed right to the end where you're still focusing on the Master and goddamn Rassilon. And just when you feel happy that it's over and Gallifrey has been stopped... tap-tap-tap-tap...

Tennant's reaction to the knocking is my absolute favourite performance by him in Doctor Who. The sheer relief on his face when he realises he's somehow managed to luck his way into surviving again. And the moment he hears the knocking he knows exactly what it is and what he's going to do. That whole speech is so effective because he knows from the first second that he's going to end up in that box. It's such an amazing turnaround in a matter of seconds from 'I'm Alive!', to 'I'm hosed'. The one shot reveal starting with the close up of Tennant only adds to it. Goddamn I love that scene.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

apparently today was Peter Capaldi's last day filming. I'm going to miss seeing how much more insane his hair can get

https://twitter.com/AdamOrford1/status/884469127620022273

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
He's gone the full Pertwee!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They've got to be just about ready to announce who the next Doctor is at this point if they're done filming. It'll probably just get leaked if they wait much longer.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

They've got to be just about ready to announce who the next Doctor is at this point if they're done filming. It'll probably just get leaked if they wait much longer.

I kind of hope that they don't. I know the BBC will because of the publicity, but I want to see Capaldi explode in glowing light, fall behind the console...

...and up crawls Rupert Grint.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

apparently today was Peter Capaldi's last day filming. I'm going to miss seeing how much more insane his hair can get

:smith:

Shame, I'm really gonna miss Capaldi - I had more of a connection during his run than I did Smith's (not to say that Matt Smith was bad, just that I kept bobbing in and out of the run, and didn't really get back into the series proper until Day of the Doctor).

This might be of interest to people, a podcast Flight Through Entirety where a bunch of people work their way through the whole of televised Who, starting with the An Unearthly Child so-called "pilot" and are currently at Delta and the Bannermen, at the time of this posting.

I've no affiliation, but they have a good rapport, and flit between various Who related tangents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Amazon UK has a Prime Day deal on the Power of the Daleks special Blu-ray

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I feel like there's been less active speculation this year. I know that's erroneous but I think there was a lot more "Who could it be?" when Tennant and Smith left. Perhaps it's because speculation coalesced around two or three actors (Kris Marshall, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and, at least early on, Olivia Colman) fairly early on.

I haven't really heard anything about Marshall since the flurry of speculation leading to the closure of betting on him earlier in the year, actually, which is odd given you had all those non-BBC news sites "announcing" him as the next Doctor.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Tennant's reaction to the knocking is my absolute favourite performance by him in Doctor Who. The sheer relief on his face when he realises he's somehow managed to luck his way into surviving again. And the moment he hears the knocking he knows exactly what it is and what he's going to do. That whole speech is so effective because he knows from the first second that he's going to end up in that box. It's such an amazing turnaround in a matter of seconds from 'I'm Alive!', to 'I'm hosed'. The one shot reveal starting with the close up of Tennant only adds to it. Goddamn I love that scene.

I love the scene, but watching it again that voice in my head that at the time said "Next time have a safety expert design your venting system to go off into an enclosed space that doesn't have people in it instead of hiring an ethical philosopher" chimed in to ask "why not hop in the TARDIS and materialize it around Wilf inside the chamber?" The answer, of course, is that it's time for Tennant to go, but it's great that the scene has Ten realize the same thing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Did I hear mention of Capaldi's hair?

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 11, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/barryislandgirl/status/884077749131923456

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Did I hear mention of Capaldi's hair?

We had it wrong this whole time. Peter isn't becoming Pertwee, he's becoming Tom. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peter Capaldi was always really gracious and patient. You can bet that not everyone who wanted a photo was polite about it, but you never once hear anything about him turning somebody down, and half the time, he's the one who offers.

• Locked thread