Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So weakening a unit with a shield just eats the shield and doesn't change their base power, apparently. Fun way to lose a round.

A reset+weaken effect will still reset though (Mardroeme/Peter), which feels strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Can you imagine how cancerous spotters etc would be if you could make them immune to resets with a simple quen. It would be awful. Reset has to work like it does.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Weaken just stripping shield makes no sense at all, though. It's not consistent with how shield interacts with anything else.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

King Pawn posted:

Well, play games and you will climb until that's no longer the case.

I find it interesting. And I care at least a little bit about my rating. A lot of people do, even if it's not trendy to admit to :)

E: OK here's an interesting deck I found to try to get some better discussion going. Idea is to win round 1 with your bronzes and thin the absolute poo poo out of your deck (eg Mercenary -> First Light -> play a bronze is both good tempo and takes two cards out of your deck). By doing this you can pretty reliably draw Ciri Dash multiple times and set up a ridiculous round 3 with all your gold bodies and multiple Scorch effects.

This deck apparently won a tournament, so it must be fairly decent. I had pretty mixed results in casual with it, not sure if it was my bad piloting or tough matchups or what. Maybe someone will enjoy it. (leader is Eithne)

I'm running something similar but no Ciri, the Protectors and some more spells and it's been doing well, it's basically Scorch spam for me and it does some real damage to people with buffing decks.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Subvisual Haze posted:

A reset+weaken effect will still reset though (Mardroeme/Peter), which feels strange.

My guess is that reset isn't coded to trigger a power-reduction flag, since it's not strict power reduction. Obviously, CDPR could add some logic for this, but for all I know it could be a balancing thing.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 10, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I guess I know the reason why Saskia doesn't pull roach but I think it's kinda poo poo.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Flipswitch posted:

I guess I know the reason why Saskia doesn't pull roach but I think it's kinda poo poo.

It used to, but Brouver into Saskia, Roach and a silver was a bit too many points for a single play with minimal setup so Roach's wording got changed.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Milva does reset cards when they go back to the hand. She also works with roach now, which can be used as scorch fodder for Schirru. Much better than Ciri Dash and it's 100% no GG's for you too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Flipswitch posted:

That nerf sucked because it nerfed the number one fun deck card in the game, royal decree.

I do like that roach is broken again though in that he pulls before effects resolve.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

Milva does reset cards when they go back to the hand. She also works with roach now, which can be used as scorch fodder for Schirru. Much better than Ciri Dash and it's 100% no GG's for you too.

I've been thinking of working in Milva since she's a neat reset, but the risk of resetting my own vrihedd lads is v. important for me to consider

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just got Treason->Scorched and lost a super high strength Dol Blathana Protector.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
After finally just sticking with a Radovid control deck and reaching Rank 16 I immediately started loving around again.

Here's a real fun deck who's entire point is to make the other person run out of cards. I've tried it in two flavors, reveal centric and Emhyr/cow/spy. Still not sure which is better but I think Emhyr requires less perfect hands to work smoothly.

Emhyr:

Morvran:

You want to play Albrich twice with either Decoy or Emhyr and then you want to ideally play Avallac'h twice with Renew. After they've done their normal deck thinning you throw out Treason and steal a decent-ish card off them. I stole one reveal deck's Peter Saar and then played him twice at the end of the game to kill his spotters off.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Up Circle posted:

I've been thinking of working in Milva since she's a neat reset, but the risk of resetting my own vrihedd lads is v. important for me to consider

You don't really care about resetting your own dudes or losing one round of dragoon buff, when your opponent is getting a much bigger setback and most of the time you send back a card that is blocking a mega scorch.

Pairing Milva with roach and schirru is cool, two times braen, unlocking a dragoon. She can do a lot. Also 9 str!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

No Wave posted:

That nerf sucked because it nerfed the number one fun deck card in the game, royal decree.

I do like that roach is broken again though in that he pulls before effects resolve.

She's the best thematically designed card by far now that she spawns in a random row.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Electronico6 posted:

Scheduled leagues.

what happens when the venerable council of deeply retarded noobs starts playing those leagues, too?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Using Assire to shuffle Queensguards back into someone's deck in round 2 is a wonderful feeling.

Before any other NG decks think to duplicate this, a clever Skellige player just resurrected my emissaries from their own graveyard and then used them to pull the Queensguards right back out of their deck.

I also re-discovered that shackling a Queensguard does jack poo poo. The Queensguard that gets resurrected magically loses her shackle, and her ability in turn brings the rest of the hive back onto the field regardless of whether they are shackled.

I get that this isn't "bugged", but the shackle/graveyard/muster mechanics in general feel clunky and stupid to me.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Two games in a row I had 1 or 2 cards left when the opponent was out and the score was tied. Two games in a row I gave a gift.

Been playing three decks lately. Discard Queensguard just doesn't have the numbers to win even in a best case scenario most of the time but is still pretty fun. It sucks knowing your Pirate Captains are going to be murdered or neutralized 90% of the time because everybody is running Gigni, Mardroeme or some other greed punisher. Henselt Reavers is interesting and harder to pilot than I expected, and it does okay when the draws align. Radovid Control is fun and seems fairly competitive and most importantly allows me to use Aretuza Adept which I have unpacked three premiums of so they're really pretty to look at. Still getting the hang of Villentretenmirth, he seems like one of those cards with a learning curve regarding timing and I didn't play any decks that had him before this patch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

That feeling when you've got a Bekker's Twisted Mirror that could win you the game if it hits one of your 7 1-power units, but lands on the opponent's single 1-power unit instead.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

what happens when the venerable council of deeply retarded noobs starts playing those leagues, too?

More people play in them. It would just be a mode that is clearly designed for competitive play from the start.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Electronico6 posted:

More people play in them. It would just be a mode that is clearly designed for competitive play from the start.

So ranked?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Do you think the current system is designed for competitive play? During the weekend a guy sat on top of the ladder with a negative winrate just from the sheer volume of games he had at the time, and was playing. The guy had 2000 games played, of a game with a soft-released little over a month ago. There's no science to Gwent(or HS) ladder. You grind games´with a deck that offers you the best win:loss ratio, the games might get harder at the top, but the gameplay feel is identical, be it at rank 1 or 5k mmr.

Guess this is coming from a magic background where there is often clear separation of types of formats, tournaments and leagues there are offered to you, and what you think it's best do spend your time in.

I'm not opposed to the existence of ladder, because sometimes you just want to play a game, and it's the best system to just give you that. But I'm opposed to the notion that ladder should be the endgame of Gwent, as one can attest from HS and other games, ladder is not a enjoyable game mode in the long term.

We still need to see how CDPR handles the reset though.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Darke GBF posted:

Discard Queensguard just doesn't have the numbers to win

See, this is what I thought but I watched a guy earlier climb past top 100 global with it. I believe this was his exact decklist except with Coral instead of Igni.

I was amazed that he was able to keep finding wins despite almost always getting bodied in round 1 (frequently losing on even cards). He wasn't playing super tight either. I think the deck might be a lot more competitive than either of us gave it credit for.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So i've been playing this for a few days now and it's been working well alongside my usual Spell ST deck:

It's pretty fun! you get a lot of tempo from the deck and can really aggressively mulligan for cards you want, I keep coming up against Dwarf decks so I slotted the second reset in there. What do people think?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Top of the ladder seems to be pretty much Skellige and Monsters again, lmao

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

botany posted:

Top of the ladder seems to be pretty much Skellige and Monsters again, lmao

What Skellige deck is it? Discard QG?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I'm so sick of this consume monster weather monster swarm monster sergeant NR control radovid reveal NG ciridash NG axeman queensguard dwarf metagame :sigh:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's pretty fun now. Less exciting than other patches because none of these are really new decks but it's actually enjoyable to play whatever.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Estraysian posted:

I was having fun trying to get Cerys/Queensguards/Ciri Dash jammed into a discard deck. It's s probably trying to do too many things at once, but I can't help feeling there's a certain combination that will make an absolutely bonkers deck.

The resurrection mechanic pretty much guarantees Skellige will always have a viable deck. It's a cool flavor mechanic that I wouldn't want them to cut, but balancing around it is drat near impossible. It gives the ability for overtuned cards to be played repeatedly, so even minor advantages can be compounded.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Making strengthen as well as resurrect is the mistake imo. The amount of regressing in skellige is getting silly, the same way relentless on every scoiatel card in CB was getting silly. (one-off cards like skirmisher are fine).

Resurrect is still absurd, as anyone who's had the "fun" of removing five war longships round 1 can attest to. But strengthen on top of it is what constantly makes it broken.

EDIT: Also Margarita is freaking insane right now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 11, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Estraysian posted:

Yep. At least that's all I had seen today, along with monsters (both weather and consume). I wasn't really complaining btw, it was just funny to me because they set out specifically to nerf Skellige and (Weather)Monsters with the patch, and they're still super good. So are a lot of other decks obviously, but I haven't seen green dudes in a while for some reason. Also since then I did actually run into a 37 card NR deck, so all's well :beerpal:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

What we really need is a SpeedGwent Ladder. 15 seconds max per card, GO!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Got Old Speartip in a pack today, had some good fun with him drowners, caranthir, and such to keep moving things onto his row and killing them to wake him up over and over. Also played a Shadow on a cow and two earth elementals! Good stuff!

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

botany posted:

Yep. At least that's all I had seen today, along with monsters (both weather and consume). I wasn't really complaining btw, it was just funny to me because they set out specifically to nerf Skellige and (Weather)Monsters with the patch, and they're still super good. So are a lot of other decks obviously, but I haven't seen green dudes in a while for some reason. Also since then I did actually run into a 37 card NR deck, so all's well :beerpal:
Skellige has their resurrects to always keep them competitive. Monsters are just a much better designed faction than any of the others. Their core bronzes are just so drat good. The ways the various consume deck cards reinforce the effect of each other is just miles above the synergy of any other deck. Most other decks have 1-2 active cards you can lock to slow their momentum, and then combine that with a timely reset or two to win. Monsters just have so many well designed active effect cards.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Captainicus posted:

Got Old Speartip in a pack today, had some good fun with him drowners, caranthir, and such to keep moving things onto his row and killing them to wake him up over and over. Also played a Shadow on a cow and two earth elementals! Good stuff!

Shadow is a cool card that I keep trying to make work, but outside of some shenanigans with eggs and nekkers and stuff, it just seems too situational. Monsters has a decent amount of on-death mechanics but most of them are handled better by just eating them.

edit: Also ran into a really annoying Axemen deck with Yen:Con, bears, hailstorm, and Blueboy Lugos in it, which it turns out is pretty fuckin' good when you have no locks in hand.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Are people actively including Nauzicaa Brigade in spy decks? I'm tempted to put them in but I'm already running Menno and Vanhemar so it might be a bit too much removal?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

Are people actively including Nauzicaa Brigade in spy decks? I'm tempted to put them in but I'm already running Menno and Vanhemar so it might be a bit too much removal?

edit: duh, wrong Nauzica unit.

I think the Nauzica brigade is primarily to: 1) give you an option to cycle back a single emissary via medic in case your opening draw was poo poo and you need more emissary thinning 2) set up a nasty finisher combo for Joachim. I guess with Menno #2 isn't as important. He is a nice insurance against an early lack of emissaries though.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 12, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
new win% and popularity charts, source is the gwentup tracker team.

quote:

Top to bottom, 3K+ in order:

Winrates:
1. Dagon - 60.8%
2. Unseen Elder - 53.7%
3. Eredin - 51.6%
4. Foltest - 49.8%
5/6. King Bran/Eithne` - 49.3%
7. Radovid - 49.2%
8. Henselt - 48.8%
9. Brouver - 48%
10. Crach - 46.7%
11. John Calveit - 46.6%
12. Francesca - 43.7%
13. Morvran - 42.8%
14. Emhyr - 39.8%
15. Harald - 34.9%

Popularity:
1. Dagon - 19.3%
2. Unseen Elder - 18.5%
3. Morvran - 13.4%
4. Eithne` - 10.3%
5. Radovid - 8.3%
6. King Bran - 7.9%
7. Foltest - 5.1%
8. Henselt - 4.3%
9. John Calveit - 3.9%
10. Brouver - 3.7%
11/12. Francesca/Eredin - 1.5%
13. Crach - 1.3%
14. Emhyr - 0.9%
15. Harald - 0.1%

Monsters - Popularity: 39.3%, Winrate: 57.106%
Northern Realms - Popularity: 17.7%, Winrate: 49.275%
Skellige - Popularity: 9.3%, Winrate: 48.781%
Scoia'tael - Popularity: 15.5%, Winrate: 48.447%
Nilfgaard - Popularity: 18.2%, Winrate: 43.465%

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 12, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Haha it turns out the only thing keeping the Dagon weather deck in check was even more weather.

Now I don't feel quite as bad at losing so often to the faction that has all the top 3 winrate leaders.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What was the Skellige popularity like before the patch? I imagine it's dropped rather sharpish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Poor Harald, what a winrate!