Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks to whoever it was upthread that recommended go 90 for streaming. Watching episodes I haven't seen since 1998.

Don't guess it's compatible with any streaming boxes or game consoles is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the angle of the head. Having it raised higher makes it look like Kosh II is sneering at everything in contempt.

It probably doesn't hurt that he looks like he's cosplaying Maleficent, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Everything about Kosh 2 is more intimidating. He's all hard angular lines with two big horns looming over everything. Kosh 1 had this warm, pleasant green and brown tones with a pleasant voice. Kosh 2 is purple and red and his voice sounds like a sneering buzzsaw.

"Respect? From whom?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Everything about Kosh 2 is more intimidating. He's all hard angular lines with two big horns looming over everything. Kosh 1 had this warm, pleasant green and brown tones with a pleasant voice. Kosh 2 is purple and red and his voice sounds like a sneering buzzsaw.

"Respect? From whom?"

Yeah everything about him just blatantly says "don't give a gently caress about your meatbag sensibilities, do as I say or screw". The question is, are most of the Vorlons like Kosh 1 or Kosh 2? I'm guessing 2.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I was always under the impression that they were more like Kosh 2 and Kosh 1 was probably considered odd by the rest of the Vorlons and that's part of the reason he's on the Babylon station to begin with.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

Yeah everything about him just blatantly says "don't give a gently caress about your meatbag sensibilities, do as I say or screw". The question is, are most of the Vorlons like Kosh 1 or Kosh 2? I'm guessing 2.

It's been a while, but I remember Kosh 2 even saying that Kosh 1 had become too attached to the younger races.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

"Respect? From whom?"

Jeffrey Willerth and RD Chamberlain don't get nearly enough credit for the work they did. As someone mentioned earlier, Willerth was able to achieve so, so much with the most subtle movements, and the way Chamberlain could work his voice was phenomenal.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Are most of the Vorlons like Kosh 1 or Kosh 2? The correct answers include:
"Yes."
"Gesundheit!"
"Why are you asking me, I'm a Na'ka'leen Feeder?"

Clearly, closer to Ulkesh, or even worse, given that both Kosh and Ulkesh had more contact with other races than the majority of the Vorlons. It's never quite clear what their leadership structure is, or the Shadows' either. One would expect an absolute ruler for the Vorlons and an anarchy for the Shadows, but all the evidence suggests that both groups move as a collective and it's only with the Kosh replacement that we get a sense of different styles or perspectives within either species.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Understanding is a 3 edged sword

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I always assumed the shadows were a hivemind, but there's not actually any evidence for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mossyfisk posted:

I always assumed the shadows were a hivemind, but there's not actually any evidence for it.

There's some. Morden has a direct physical reaction when Londo nukes the Shadow base. It's also hinted at in how the Shadows control their ships - while the living minds within do the actual piloting, they are still being controlled by the Shadows at a distance.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Very little is mentioned about the Vorlon leadership on screen.

JMS had said some things though on his newsgroup:

"I wouldn't call them friends. They had a certain respect for one another, but Ulkesh always thought Kosh was soft, and Kosh always worried that Ulkesh was dangerous. In their own ways, both were right."

"...It wasn't so much a case of Ulkesh turning against the effort, but finally hitting the end of his patience with the humans, and his predecessor's decision to let the 'natives' get out of control."

"...Ulkesh was the more military of the two, very isolationist, while Kosh was the curious one, interested in the younger races, and more willing to extend himself (with sometimes unfortunate results). Kosh always worried what Ulkesh would do without his moderating presence...and ultimately had to be the one to take him down to allow the younger races to step forward."

"[Kosh and Ulkesh] are not that far apart in age, but yes, Kosh would be a bit older..."

He also said that Naranek was a title. I'm pretty sure there's another post where he says that Kosh had enough clout in the Vorlon leadership that he was basically holding Ulkesh's majority sect back and when he was killed the Vorlons basically went "See? SEE?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can we all take a minute to appreciate just how incredible it was that there were actually interesting moments in Crusade? I mean holy poo poo even by 1998/9 standards it was completely terrible. What happened to JMS after Thirdspace that he ok'd anything and everything that was a waste of the IP?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 12, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crusade is freaking high art compared to Legend of the Rangers, and you don't even have to get to the loltastic weapon system for that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

Can we all take a minute to appreciate just how incredible it was that there were actually interesting moments in Crusade? I mean holy poo poo even by 1998/9 standards it was completely terrible. What happened to JMS after Thirdspace that he ok'd anything and everything that was a waste of the IP?

Crusade seems like it was one half flawed idea, one half studio meddling. TNT did nothing good to it but I don't think it was really that great in the first place. I always thought the Excalibur was an ugly design; its sets were definitely uglier than B5's. The music was terrible compared to Franke. The story, by the sounds of things, seemed like it would've become very similar to B5 (The plague would've been cured early and then the crew would've been fighting an EA conspiracy based around shadowtech). More technomages, the guys who were maybe the worst part of B5 and yet became increasingly prominent as time went on. And an approach to things that was a bit more... magical than B5's hardness. A box that mind controls people, a magical sword, etc. etc.

It barely felt like a Babylon 5 thing at all. It felt like a Star Trek knock-off.

I think JMS might've just tapped his creative well dry after B5.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Were Douglas Netter or Harlan Ellison involved after the main series? Maybe the spinoffs were what happened when JMS didn't have them around to check him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's just that JMS can make a good thing... if he has 10+ years to work on it. B5 was the story he was carrying around in his head for ages. When he has to come up with something new fast it doesn't go as well, like the first half of season 5.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pivoting after O'Hare had to leave worked out pretty well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

There was a hole in his mind :ohdear:.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Milky Moor posted:

Crusade seems like it was one half flawed idea, one half studio meddling. TNT did nothing good to it but I don't think it was really that great in the first place. I always thought the Excalibur was an ugly design; its sets were definitely uglier than B5's. The music was terrible compared to Franke. The story, by the sounds of things, seemed like it would've become very similar to B5 (The plague would've been cured early and then the crew would've been fighting an EA conspiracy based around shadowtech). More technomages, the guys who were maybe the worst part of B5 and yet became increasingly prominent as time went on. And an approach to things that was a bit more... magical than B5's hardness. A box that mind controls people, a magical sword, etc. etc.

It barely felt like a Babylon 5 thing at all. It felt like a Star Trek knock-off.

I think JMS might've just tapped his creative well dry after B5.

Did he ever reveal more info about Crusade? That is, what the cure was going to be, the conspiracy angle (never heard that until just now), the truth behind the box?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

The story, by the sounds of things, seemed like it would've become very similar to B5 (The plague would've been cured early and then the crew would've been fighting an EA conspiracy based around shadowtech).

And then after he couldn't do that story with Crusade, what was his plan for The Memory of Shadows? Oh, just an Earthforce officer and Galen uncovering an EA conspiracy based around Shadowtech.

Dude can't help but repeat himself. It's funny that he wrote the subplot of Garibaldi worrying about Sheridan's cult of personality, because Straczynski cultivated the mother of all cults of personality around him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timby posted:

And then after he couldn't do that story with Crusade, what was his plan for The Memory of Shadows? Oh, just an Earthforce officer and Galen uncovering an EA conspiracy based around Shadowtech.

Dude can't help but repeat himself.

Telling the second part of a story in a different medium after being unable to tell it in the original medium is not repetition.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's just that JMS can make a good thing... if he has 10+ years to work on it. B5 was the story he was carrying around in his head for ages. When he has to come up with something new fast it doesn't go as well, like the first half of season 5.

Well... its not television but I really felt his run on Thor was great. The post civil war Iron Man and Thor meeting was something that still sticks in my mind a decade later and that was something he was forced to put up with due to the universe changing mega crossover event. His Thor run also had this tragic arc of this human that fell in love with a goddess. Bueno stuff. Also his Supreme Power was freakin good and you could tell it was going to lead to some epic shite.... its a shame drama killed his run with Marvel and Supreme Power never got around to fulfilling that potential. But yeah...

Has anyone checked out that Sense8 show he writing for? Jeremiah was a bit of alright and I'm curious about his new show.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Were Douglas Netter or Harlan Ellison involved after the main series? Maybe the spinoffs were what happened when JMS didn't have them around to check him.

Harlan Ellison being a stabilizing voice of reason and sanity for anyone is hilarious. I love that cantankerous old loon so much. Named my dingo after him.
Douglas Netter did the sfx. Crusade dying also iced his company he made just to do b5 shows. From the backstage stuff I read, rumours overheard and the various credits its mostly JMS as the brains behind the show. Still think Crusade could have gone somewhere good if it had the time. JMS biggest flaw is the same one many have: they are giant babies when it comes to their art. gently caress, I do that too. Anyone insisting we do things a different way and we can both go "wah wah"and want to take their ball home. It really is annoying as an adult has to learn the art of compromise and the best artists and writers are the ones who can still somehow sway the suits to go along with them. Also sneaking your rejected stuff under their noses is always the best. I'm not saying I'm in his league but I would feel hypocritical calling someone else a big giant baby and not fessing up to my own flaw.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

Telling the second part of a story in a different medium after being unable to tell it in the original medium is not repetition.

Going back to the "there's a conspiracy within Earth's government and there's Shadow fuckery involved" well after doing it in B5 proper is absolutely repetition.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Von_Doom posted:

Douglas Netter did the sfx. Crusade dying also iced his company he made just to do b5 shows.

As I recall, he built Netter Digital in a kind of lovely way, basically doing a smash-and-grab on Foundation Imaging, robbing them of most of their best staff and rendering them a skeleton crew. Foundation was ready to go under until they got the Voyager contract at the last minute.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

As I recall, he built Netter Digital in a kind of lovely way, basically doing a smash-and-grab on Foundation Imaging, robbing them of most of their best staff and rendering them a skeleton crew.

Frankly, that sounds like an indictment of Foundation Imaging's management at the time, it shouldn't be that easy to poach talent away en masse.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Dude can't help but repeat himself. It's funny that he wrote the subplot of Garibaldi worrying about Sheridan's cult of personality, because Straczynski cultivated the mother of all cults of personality around him.

Even bigger than the Roddenberry cult?

Timby posted:

As I recall, he built Netter Digital in a kind of lovely way, basically doing a smash-and-grab on Foundation Imaging, robbing them of most of their best staff and rendering them a skeleton crew. Foundation was ready to go under until they got the Voyager contract at the last minute.

The guys at Foundation claim that Netter actually got the less-talented staff, didn't get their custom software package that allowed them to use the office computers as part of the render farm, and also didn't have the ultra-close relationship with Lightwave that Foundation Imaging did:

quote:

Interview with Ron Thornton

Oh to hell with it, lets get this out of the way. Since first contacting you I’ve got hold of a few other folks who worked on Babylon 5 – and learned a few things. I don’t want to labour on the subject, but it’s also clearly something worth touching on as it had wide ranging consequences to the show, and some of the fallout from it is still around even today. . . . . How did the situation arise that Foundation Imaging got kicked off Babylon 5?

It was obvious that the whole thing was a plan on behalf of Doug Netter to line his nest. Unbeknownst to JMS, Netter had tried to buy Foundation as part of his initial public offering of Netter Digital Entertainment.. (mainly because they actually had NO digital part of the company.) The deal breaker was that Netter wanted us to be exclusive... IE only do Netter jobs... This was business suicide. So we said no. This was only a few weeks before the renewal process started.

Now season 3 had been WAY more work than had been agreed to at the beginning of the season, and several huge episodes had taxed our budget. We went to the producers and said we needed an additional $40k to cover the overages... (This was for the whole season)... I had a meeting with Doug, and John Copeland to discuss what could be done to keep the next season under control.

Then a little while later something odd happened. I get a call from Doug. He seemed to be angry... "What's this I hear about you being 40,000 over budget on episode 310?" {Severed Dreams}.. I said... we weren’t and that any overage was for the whole season like we discussed... Then it was as if he hadn't heard me... "well it's unacceptable, and I think Warners are going to have problems with it.." "But Doug... we talked about this... you know the situation.." "well it better not happen again" klick.bzzz, he hung up.

The only explanation I can think of is that he had JMS in the room, and he was grandstanding. So Joe would say... gently caress em... So we put in a budget based on what we had from season 3... and added the only way we might be able to cut costs would be to have some lesser experienced people as part of the team... (These were the same people Netter ended up hiring as his KEY designers BTW)

We then heard nothing... There was NO negotiation... Netter said it was Warner Bros that was holding everything up... Warners said it was Netter.... Then mysteriously Warner Bros said they needed all the Digital assets. We said... Sure... when we start season 4 we'll be pleased to. They said they wanted it now... we said... there's no-one here to do it.. Remember we ain't working on the show now! Netter had obviously asked them to do it.

The whole thing was a well thought out political move on behalf of Netter to get the cash flow for his new company. He played JMS like a flute!

In a podcast jms pointed out Netter & Copeland set up a facility to see if they could replicate your work. Once they thought that they could, that’s when Foundation got kicked off B5 - and they did that with the help of some of the new Foundation staff brought in to work on Hypernauts.

Shant and Patrick were basically not very nice people, they did a lot of this wheeling and dealing behind our backs whilst they were still employed by us. Patrick actually came begging to me saying, don’t lay me off I’m just about to get a house and a mortgage, and all the rest of it. So I told him not to worry and we would find something for him to do. Then two weeks later he says he’s not coming in to-morrow and he’s leaving. I asked if he was going to work for Netter and he said no. But of course the deal had already been made, and that’s where he went.

Guess that's one way to become a senior animator (at NDE). Which explains the variable quality of Netters output. The increase in FX shots probably didn’t help either.
I can't speak for how it went then as I have no idea how they operated the show. But it musthave been kind of unusual though, because they had no one who really had a clear idea how to do things. Their most senior guys were our juniors who were really only just starting out. As part of Netter they really couldn’t say no to things either, they were on the payroll and just had to do what they had to do.

In Josh's interview he mentions a few things which highlight what your saying about not having anyone there with much experience. For example, the master copies of the models were stored centrally. Animators would rescale or retexture one for a particular shot and could overwrite the masters with their changes. Which may help explain why the sizes of various ships was all over the place in the later seasons.

Good grief! We were one of the first to have a large turnover pipeline for doing cgi. One of the first things Paul and myself worked on was how to preserve and archive things, and to make dam sure people didn’t do that. We had show by show directories so if there was special modifications to something, like a Starfury for a particular scene, it would go into that show’s directory. You could pull it out and put in any other show’s directory if you needed to use it. But you never touched the holy grail - the master copies - which were also backed up.

quote:

Interview with Paul Bryant

Why let facts get in the way of a good belief. ; ) As you were/are a programmer, did you ever get involved with the development of Lightwave?

Not as a programmer. Lightwave was a constantly evolving product, and we were putting it through some very serious usage. We (more so Ron) were friends with Alan Hastings & Stuart Ferguson, and we worked with them almost on a daily basis letting them know what we'd like it to do (and I was getting a Lightwave update virtually every other week). THEY were the geniuses who figured out how to do it. Lens flares are a case in point.

John Knowles had just added them as a plugin for Photoshop, he got the algorithm from the Siggraph notes. Why he thought lens flares in a paint package was a good idea god only knows. Every cameraman spends his life trying to avoid them but a well placed one really adds a sense of depth to a shot as the flare traverses across the screen. Anyway, Ronny told Alan H that we wanted them. Alan asked for examples and I rendered the flares out of Photoshop onto black backgrounds and BBS'ed them over to him. Two days later we had fully realistic multi element (there's a flare caused by every surface) variable aperture (flares are shaped differently depending on the ‘cameras’ aperture) lens flares in Lightwave. It's first use was in the Demo that Ronny took to WB.

Did the close relationship continue past the B5 pilot, and if it did what other sort of requests where you making?

Very much so. Another example was specular mapping - at the time no software supported it. You get specular highlights on physical models easy enough with a combination of lighting and rubbing down or roughing up the surface slightly. But most programmers thought that reflection mapping was used for specular highlights.
The easiest way to explain it is the diffused highlights that you see on an egg or brushed steel. It's different from a reflection map because the reflection map projects back the light/ image of another object. Lightwave was one of the very first 3D packages to do it and it made all the difference in the realism of an object. The thing is though, when we left so did the relationship with Newtek. I’m not sure if Netter Digital ever had alpha status. Either way they didn’t have access to Alan and Stuart.

Why?

What Netter & Copeland really failed to understand was the VFX community was tiny. We drank together, we played Quake together (somewhere out there are the Digital Domain and FI Quake floorplans/battlefields that our guys used to challenge DD with, but I digress) as a result we all knew what each of the companies were up to.

The reason that Netter Digital took over after season 3 was that Doug had earlier offered to take us over for $0.00 and assume all rights and options to anything we were creating in return for letting us do the fourth season. At that time Doug's outfit was called Rattlesnake Productions and he needed us to get the 'Digital' in the Netter Digital IPO. Ronny and I obviously told him to shove his deal where the sun don't shine. . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . The only reason they were able to pull it off was that they bribed two of our animators xxxxxxxxx to backup the files at night and duplicate our system at Netter. See, Netter's contract with us only gave them rights to the final images (the actual content). This was long before the concept of 'digital assets' so they had to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx them. We thought about suing them but we knew that they could outspend us. Hollywood is not a nice place. . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .One of my greatest pieces of evil knowledge was the fact that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx didn't know how to xxxxxxx FIRE. As a result Netter were constantly repairing renders that had gone wrong from machines that had crashed. Job management was a nightmare for them. . . . . . . . . . .

Earlier you mentioned Netter Digital didn’t get it’s hands on FIRE. The late night visitors to your offices couldn’t figure out how to nick copy it basically. I’ve heard the term used before, but what was (or is) FIRE?

FIRE (Foundation Imaging Render Environment) was FI's greatest secret and the key to our prodigious output. It was our own multiprocessor multitasking error correcting render controller. I conceived of it and designed it's basic architecture and Steve Pugh and I coded it in AREXX. Steve then went on to port it to the PC and enhance it vastly and made it into virtually an operating system (it's a thing of great beauty and it's running over at Eden because that's where Steve ended up).
It enabled us to use every computer in the place as a render engine and to handle things like job queuing, resource management, and (this was the biggie) automatic error recovery. If an animator left his desk all he had to do was click on the FIRE icon and FIRE would automatically take over the machine and become part of the collective. Once he returned he just clicked on the stop button and he got his workstation back. By the end of FI we had over 500 machines running as a virtual supercomputer (200 workstations & 300+ render engines). Nobody else had anything like this, it was years ahead of it's time.

B5 Scrolls

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Timby posted:

Going back to the "there's a conspiracy within Earth's government and there's Shadow fuckery involved" well after doing it in B5 proper is absolutely repetition.

Why would you think repetition is a bad thing? "I am bored with this plot," sure, but the act of repeating in itself says nothing about how well or poorly something is done.

I do think there's a distinction between "Morden infiltrates Earth's civilian government and Psi Corps" and "agents within the military decide to exploit all this ancient biotech," especially given that we know nothing about the goals or objectives of the latter group save that they evidently didn't want Earth to be saved. In any event, it's hard to judge how Crusade would have turned out given that if we only had the first season of B5 it probably wouldn't rate a thread here and that JMS' original outline for B5 is not nearly as good as what we ended up with.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Data Graham posted:

That may have been part of his contingency back door exit plans for each of the characters, should the actors leave.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

Did he ever reveal more info about Crusade? That is, what the cure was going to be, the conspiracy angle (never heard that until just now), the truth behind the box?

I don't think so.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That may have been part of his contingency back door exit plans for each of the characters, should the actors leave.

I remember reading that this was the case; there was going to be someone like Sheridan sent to B5 because Sinclair wasn't really trusted by Earth/Clarke.

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think so.

He may as well since Crusade is never going to go forward, not after JMS' second big attempt at a TV show got canned.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I remember reading that this was the case; there was going to be someone like Sheridan sent to B5 because Sinclair wasn't really trusted by Earth/Clarke.

TBQH, I'm not sure about this. B5 seemed to be well on track to Babylon Prime before Sinclair left. I think bringing Sheridan in was a considerable change in direction to the show.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Milky Moor posted:

TBQH, I'm not sure about this. B5 seemed to be well on track to Babylon Prime before Sinclair left. I think bringing Sheridan in was a considerable change in direction to the show.

It would have hit most of the same beats: war against the Shadows, Earth Civil War, the telepath thing, the Centauri get hosed over. Can't you hear Sinclair yelling "get out of my galaxy !" ?

You'd probably lose the dying at Za'ha'dum thing, that's Sheridan's story. But Valen is going to need the practice beating up on the Shadows, even with B4's help so Sinclair will be a major war leader. Maybe you end with Sinclair stealing B4 instead of sticking it in the middle.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Maybe? I'm not certain that the sequel show was still in JMS' plans by the time O'Hare left since the ratings for the show were never all that great and syndication was dying. Obviously it wasn't going to star O'Hare unless a miracle happened.

Sheridan was different but I think Sinclair would have hit many of the story beats; wife vanishing due to Shadows, some relationship with Delenn (that whole marriage thing from Parliament of Dreams), the conflict with Garibaldi and having it be even more painful because of their friendship, etc. Sleeping in Light would have referred to heading back to the previous war instead but overall the show would have been recognizable.

Edit: sorry, forgot the plan was bringing B4 forward to fight the Shadows. I still think the other side of that was the original SiL plot.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 13, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

mllaneza posted:

It would have hit most of the same beats: war against the Shadows, Earth Civil War, the telepath thing, the Centauri get hosed over. Can't you hear Sinclair yelling "get out of my galaxy !" ?

You'd probably lose the dying at Za'ha'dum thing, that's Sheridan's story. But Valen is going to need the practice beating up on the Shadows, even with B4's help so Sinclair will be a major war leader. Maybe you end with Sinclair stealing B4 instead of sticking it in the middle.

It really wouldn't have. With some small exceptions, B5 S1 is virtually exactly as the original treatment wanted it (literally the only difference is a complete absence of any reference to Bester or Psi Corps). But every episode after that, from S2 onwards, diverges in huge ways with huge plot points becoming tiny elements and the biggest plots -- Earth Civil War, Vorlon/Shadow war, telepath thing, etc -- coming out of nowhere. All the time flashes, flashbacks and such in S1 also match to the treatment much more neatly than the sometimes awkward stuff in later seasons about visions of shifting possible timelines. Consider, for example, the scene between Delenn and Old Sinclair at the end of Babylon Squared (and that episode as a whole).

edit: And further, you can see it on some of JMS' archived postings. Prior to Sinclair leaving, he talks in very oblique terms about what we can see in the treatment that's floating around. By the time Sheridan is on the scene, he's talking very differently. Consider that War Without End actively altered some Babylon Squared scenes, too.

edit 2: For example, in the original treatment, Valen never existed and that whole thing is missing entirely. Also for example, it appears that Catherine Sakai was to be an Anna Sheridan analogue, but also vastly different. Her arc seems to be 'find out about the Walkers' as per the show, and then start following up rumors and stuff, end up on the homeworld of the Shadows, get mentally altered, return to B5 and become a spy. This was split into Anna Sheridan and the stuff with Talia and Lyta.

edit 3: Checking out old JMS internet posts, you can even find posts where he basically says that shuffling Sinclair 'to the side' allowed for them to do newer, different things.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 13, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Data Graham posted:

But that's part of it. He knew the realities of making a TV show and had a planned out and way around for every character in case the actor left.

The plan was revised quite a bit as the show went, but all those years of planning showed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

But that's part of it. He knew the realities of making a TV show and had a planned out and way around for every character in case the actor left.

The plan was revised quite a bit as the show went, but all those years of planning showed.

Absolutely. I think it's more of a credit to JMS that he was able to deal with losing his protagonist and still being able to write such a great story. Perhaps one that is better than his original plan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The whole Valen plot is one of the best things in the series. I'm glad they only touched time travel the one time and it was executed perfectly.

Though I've seen War Without End multiple times and am still not 100% on how all the various dude in blue suit sightings connect up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mllaneza posted:

I'm imagining this in Michael O'Hare's voice, and :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If it was Michael O'Hare's departure that derailed the whole Babylon prime idea, than it really was a blessing in disguise, because the whole thing sounds horribly convoluted in my ears. Babylon 5's politics were its strongest part and as it sounds, a lot of that would have been lost in favor of time travel shenanigans and more mystic stuff, that was always pretty much hit and miss.