Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't had a Nintendo handheld since the original Game Boy. I am looking forward to being able to play Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Phoenix Wright, Layton, Picross...

Like the Game Boy I have spent over half the time with the Switch on a Tetris game

Go dump $100 on a 2DS as well then (or, you know, even more money on a 'new' 2/3DS), because the 3DS has some great games too. It even has some classic Gameboy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I can wait until they are on the Switch's Virtual Console

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I'm walking into gamestop to get a switch now solely because a bayonetta 2 re-release was teased. Zelda and Mario are cool too I guess but I'll buy bayonetta as many times as platinum lets me. I'll probably end up using it as the most portable jackbox 3 setup yet though.

Twist And Pout! fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 11, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I can wait until they are on the Switch's Virtual Console

i want advance wars so bad!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twist And Pout! posted:

I'm walking into gamestop to get a switch now solely because a bayonetta 2 re-release was teased. Zelda and Mario are cool too I guess but I'll buy bayonetta as many times as platinum lets me. I'll probably end up using it as the most portable jackbox 3 setup yet though.

But have you preordered one, or both, of the Bayonetta amiibo? :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has there been any more concrete word on Bayonetta past those image tweets?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I don't think we're going to see 3DS Virtual Console on the Switch due to the two-screen thing and many games requiring touch screen/stylus. Yes, you COULD do it in undocked mode and using your finger but that's very un-Nintendo to do.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

DS games should just be downloadable through the 3DS. I know there are some obstacles that make this difficult, but if they intend to continue bolstering the importance of the 3DS as a strong handheld, they should do it there. Maybe a future model could do this

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Other than load times are there any advantages to going digital?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

You dont have to gently caress around with tiny little cartridges

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cat Machine posted:

You dont have to gently caress around with tiny little cartridges

Thats the best part tho

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress carts, I never want to see one again.

The sample applies to discs.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Your entire library becomes insanely portable. Actual load times are kind of a trivial unnoticeable thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spellman posted:

DS games should just be downloadable through the 3DS. I know there are some obstacles that make this difficult, but if they intend to continue bolstering the importance of the 3DS as a strong handheld, they should do it there. Maybe a future model could do this

The problem is that it's very much a hardware issue and not a software one. Not to mention that changing the hardware architecture to accommodate this could potentially brick random 3DS games. Just look at PS2 Incompatibility page on Wikipedia to get an idea of the obstacle you'd be facing, and that is just from minor hardware revisions. The DS portions of the hardware simply are not designed to address internal memory at all, and the only way they have to get a digital DS game working is by some seriously fudged code to make it look like a DSi download title (the only kind of internal memory a DS operating system CAN address). Which just plain isn't doable for most DS games due to size limits.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Only other actual advantage is that some games will be cheaper than their physical counterpart.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Twist And Pout! posted:

They were sold out and apparently have been for weeks? Didn't know this was selling that well still! Another time I guess.

Tried to make me order a $470 dollar ARMS bundle from the website - no thanks.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Twist And Pout! posted:

They were sold out and apparently have been for weeks? Didn't know this was selling that well still! Another time I guess.

Tried to make me order a $470 dollar ARMS bundle from the website - no thanks.

Keep an eye on Amazon and the Amazon Video Games twitter accounts, plus Nintendo Wire.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that it's very much a hardware issue and not a software one. Not to mention that changing the hardware architecture to accommodate this could potentially brick random 3DS games.

It could be impossible, but DS games are best enjoyed on a small 2 screen device. Playing DS games on the Wii U sucks

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Do you think that that map shows all the Super Mario Odyssey Worlds? I'm hoping they're holding some stuff back as a surprise.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I have my switch next to my tv with my other consoles in another room about 10 feet from my router. Every console can easily pull down 40-50mbps over the wifi but my switch can barely connect to it and if it does only gets around 1mbps. I can get it to 14mbps if I place the switch directly on top of my router. I can't even connect to the eshop when it's docked. Restarting didn't fix anything and when I called Nintendo about it they claimed there was nothing wrong with the switch and that it was too close to my tv, I had connected too many devices to my router previously so my switch is getting less wifi juice even if it's the only device connected to it, and also the microwave that is on the other end of the house is doing something.

Edit: changing settings on my router doesn't fix it either.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Overbite posted:

I have my switch next to my tv with my other consoles in another room about 10 feet from my router. Every console can easily pull down 40-50mbps over the wifi but my switch can barely connect to it and if it does only gets around 1mbps. I can get it to 14mbps if I place the switch directly on top of my router. I can't even connect to the eshop when it's docked. Restarting didn't fix anything and when I called Nintendo about it they claimed there was nothing wrong with the switch and that it was too close to my tv, I had connected too many devices to my router previously so my switch is getting less wifi juice even if it's the only device connected to it, and also the microwave that is on the other end of the house is doing something.

Edit: changing settings on my router doesn't fix it either.

Send in your broken switch. Stop applying anecdotes universally.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If switching carts annoys you.

If you want to have multiple games with you when you're on the go without relying on a carrying case and (again) switching carts.

If it's one of those games that you come back to over and over again long term. Something like Splatoon2 comes to mind, something you might want to pop in and play a couple matches now and then without fishing for the cart.

If you don't want game boxes cluttering up your house.

Or if there's a big sale on the digital version, I guess?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao there are never sales on first party digital games.

I'm going physical with the switch for two reasons:

1) you can't sell digital games.

2) physical games are basically the only ones that stand a chance of getting discounts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I go for digital for two reasons:

1) I don't sell my games anymore
2) I can have all my games with me everywhere

1a) the price difference is small enough it doesn't really matter to me

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao there are never sales on first party digital games.

I'm going physical with the switch for two reasons:

1) you can't sell digital games.

2) physical games are basically the only ones that stand a chance of getting discounts.

Yeah that's fair. Just for myself, I never sell games anyway, and I prefer the convenience of having games with me without messing around with carts. Unless there's a special edition I want (like Zelda) I tend to go digital.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

For people still looking for switches, I got mine by calling a Target when they opened, I'm not sure if this is true for all targets but this one got stuff at night that they'd put out first thing in the morning.

Yeah I'm gonna get Splatoon digitally load times and if I like it anywhere near as much as Splatoon 1 I'm gonna be playing a lot of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The price difference is still like £20 here so I still buy physical unless digital is on sale.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The price difference is still like £20 here so I still buy physical unless digital is on sale.

Yeah, between GCU and Amazon there's no reason for me not to get a physical copy whenever possible.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

For people still looking for switches, I got mine by calling a Target when they opened, I'm not sure if this is true for all targets but this one got stuff at night that they'd put out first thing in the morning.

Yeah I'm gonna get Splatoon digitally load times and if I like it anywhere near as much as Splatoon 1 I'm gonna be playing a lot of it.

This was the case for my Target as well, I was able to get one first thing in the morning (like 7:30am) a couple days ago.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you're in a household with multiple switches (which, given Nintendo's positioning of it as a portable device, will not be uncommon) then it's possible to share game cards whereas downloaded titles are tied to one console only.

Also, where did the terms "digital" and "physical" come from? Couldn't they have used the existing terms "download" and "card/cart/disc"?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just went to buy the SD card recommended in the OP and discovered that Amazon UK has it 33% off for prime members for today only. So that was good timing!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're in a household with multiple switches (which, given Nintendo's positioning of it as a portable device, will not be uncommon) then it's possible to share game cards whereas downloaded titles are tied to one console only.

Also, where did the terms "digital" and "physical" come from? Couldn't they have used the existing terms "download" and "card/cart/disc"?

Well one is a digital good and the other is a physical good

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Norns posted:

Well one is a digital good and the other is a physical good
They're both "digital". There's nothing analog here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's a loving hunk of plastic

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys
I ordered one of the Switches from Amazon yesterday, and picked one day shipping. Did Amazon require signature on Switch delivery for anyone? I gotta go run a quick errand and would really hate to miss the package as I'm off work today.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just because you list one category don't mean the other category had to be the opposite. It's not physical and ethereal, and it's not digital and analogue.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My game updates and eshop downloads are super slow on switch I can't imagine downloading a whole game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just because you list one category don't mean the other category had to be the opposite. It's not physical and ethereal, and it's not digital and analogue.

Can't wait to buy Mario Odyssey in ghostly form.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm going physical since they're all much cheaper. I've bought Arms and now Splatoon 2 before release for only $48 each.

I went mostly digital only on Wii U and regret it since now I can't sell the games that got better versions on Switch like MK8 and Pokken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always think in the long term and get games physically as often as I can, because someday the Switch servers will be shut down.

But on that note, if it's primarily an online multiplayer game, then I'll get it digitally since there's no point in having a disc or cart after the servers get shut down. So I'm opting for digital Splatoon 2 even though I could have got it cheaper on Amazon.

• Locked thread