Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dead Souls was fun just to see characters I'm a fan of in increasingly stupid b-movie situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Dead Souls was fun just to see characters I'm a fan of in increasingly stupid b-movie situations.

This is basically my view. I like the idea of Dead Souls. The actual reality of Dead Souls was slightly less nice.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

projecthalaxy posted:

This is basically my view. I like the idea of Dead Souls. The actual reality of Dead Souls was slightly less nice.

It's fun to watch, not to play. I love Evil Dead and Brain Dead as much as the next person, but there's only so much bad game design I can take.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

achtungnight posted:

I enjoyed Dead Souls personally. If I ever figure out and find the time to do the LP thing, it's on my list.

I'm unusual!

Even if you don't get to it it's on my list too. The World Must See.

I don't think it's bad per se. It's just not good.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Oh man I forgot about Kiryu's line in 4 about not running away anymore....and then in 5 HE RUNS AWAY!

Kenzan so far is okay, grabs seem really slow to come out, and the lock-on isn't great, but it is what it is for the first PS3 iteration.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

KingShiro posted:

No.. Dead Souls is pretty "meh". The controls, camera, and overall performance make it hard to replay. I'm going through the games I have again waiting for Kiwami.

I thought it was really fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, so after a few month haitus, I finally decided to finish Yakuza Zero. I'm at the part where Majima and Kiryu go to each other's towns. I'm in Chapter 15 right now. There isn't a spot telling me where to go to on the map. My hint is "Makoto ran off on her own!? If I had some clue where she mighta gone..." Can anyone tell me where to go?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't have the best description of the place but it's near that swingset with the burning barrels nearby? And not too far is an open plaza with some food stands. Top left corner of the map I think?
EDIT: No wait that might be later, just go to the Empty Lot I think.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That did the trick. Thanks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress, how do I get past these two gunmen on the boat? They just kill me from a hundred feet away...

Edit: oh, they have no health. Shoot them, durr.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 11, 2017

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Snak posted:

What the gently caress, how do I get past these two gunmen on the boat? They just kill me from a hundred feet away...

You're playing through the whole series, right? Which game is this in?

e: seems like you figured it out

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

You're playing through the whole series, right? Which game is this in?

e: seems like you figured it out

No, I only have Yakuza 0.

I'm now stuck on near-emd boss Shibusawa, who is apparently immune to rush heat moves? which means I don't know how to play the game against him. he's just a cheating rear end in a top hat. which is fitting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Feel free to just use up all your weapons and consumables against that boss if you need to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally beat Yakuza Zero a few days ago and now Kiwamani is my most anticipated upcoming game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

This is an amazing typo and totally fitting for the series

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I hate Yakuza 2 because I keep wanting to play it instead of studying.

E: its late game bosses suck donkey dick imo. They aren't hard, they're just a pain in the rear end.

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 14, 2017

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Minor Spoilers for Yakuza 2:

A quick review of Yakuza 2: gently caress bosses with guns and 800000 cronies. Other than that, it's pretty great. The story was riveting, and Ryuji Goda was a drat great villain (also he reminded me of Crocodile from One Piece design-wise, but that may just be me). Overall, I'd give it an 8/10 if I had to give it a score. Also, I just got to this as I am typing this, but I was not expecting "Silent Night" as the credits theme.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Just beat 0. My only complaint was that the very end felt a little rushed, I'm assuming to get the protagonists in place for Yakuza 1. Actually, Majiama's arc barely works at all because of where I assume they needed him to be for the first game. The whole "I'm too dangerous to know, I must protect you by walking away" is a pretty standard trope, and I guess I like that they referenced it obliquely instead of hitting us over the head with it - but I don't really get why his whole story-line moved him suddenly from "betrayed serious yakuza questioning his ideals" to "weirdo trickster figure" so quickly. Like, if I was predicting Majiama was gonna break bad from Yakuza 0 alone I would have assumed he'd end up like that Omi Alliance cockroach he was working for the whole game - a cynical opportunist instead of a flashy psychopath.

On that note, neither of the character's decisions to go back to their old roles in the Tojo clan make much sense. Majiama got what he wanted, more or less, but you'd think after the poo poo his boss put him through he'd rather walk away than play the good company man. Especially that poo poo where his boss (Shintaro?) basically put the hit on Makoto knowing Majiama would protect her. Was he just impressed with his boss' cunning? Resigned to his role? As for Kiryu, the whole thing is also a little confusing. The title card epilogue make it sound like Kawaza (sp? Kiryu's "foster father," who is in prison for the whole game) joins the main Dojima family, which remands under Kawaza's control for the next couple of years. But Nishiki seems to think Kawaza has his own family? Or a sub-family within the Dojima family? The whole thing is a little confusing. Also on Kawaza's motivation: If he was the main power base of the Dojima family, and the Dojima family was powerful enough that everyone expected them to take over the Tojo clan... why did he install Sera as new leader of the Tojo clan and not himself? Seemed the dude had enough foresight to grab the empty lot, clean up the Dojimas, and ascend to third chairman the second he got out of prison.

Anyway, overall a super fun game. I'm probably gonna go back running around as Majima because I need those sweet sweet CPs to unlock both character's ultimate styles and get stupidly powerful

Kazuma finally grown wiser from all this, knowing when to uphold the oath and when the oath will cause harm to him and his friends. Because he wanted to play the savior for Kazama he ended up getting Tachibana killed, Nishikiyama sown the seeds of doubt that would lead to the man he become and god knows how close he was to getting him and everyone around him killed just because Shibusawa wanted the Kazama family to be unpersoned to the last man. The plot of Yakuza 0 was barely any different from 1, except that Oda and Tachibana's end had a horrible outcome. Oda was no different from Kaz, trying to avoid responsibility just to preserve their oath.

Meanwhile Goro finally realized how much of a pushover he has been in the entire series, nothing more than a subservient dog meant to play fetch for their masters. That is why he gave no poo poo about about the Yen and only wanted to fight Kiryu because it coincided with his boss' best interests but he didn't care about the value of it. Without Nishitani and Lee to tell him to stop letting him be treated like a dog promised a bone the moment he got Haruka he is going to immediately hand her over rather than lure Kiryu out

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 15, 2017

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Just finished Kenzan. It's a good game, some technical jank aside. Only missed one substory I couldn't get to trigger, and didn't finish horseback archery :argh: or the Jiraiya training (just gives weapons anyway)

ThePatrick's guide on GameFAQS is great and in combination with KHH's subbed videos made it easy to play.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

gyrobot posted:

untagged spoilers

Didn't you do this upthread and act smug and lovely when called on it?

e: my bad, it was a different asshat who posted the earlier spoilers

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 15, 2017

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

gyrobot posted:

Major spoilers

Nice spoiler tags you got there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I saw a trailer for Kiwami, does it just reuse most of 0's mechanics and assets?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Sindai posted:

I saw a trailer for Kiwami, does it just reuse most of 0's mechanics and assets?

Pretty much, yeah. Kiwami uses the same engine as Zero, which is the same engine they used for the PS3 games just with a higher resolution and frame rate. Yakuza 6 has a new engine.

And pretty much all of the games take place in the same districts with the same map. I've only played 5 and 0, and the maps for Kamurocho and Sotenbori are almost identical, but they had been tweaked to match the different time periods (and the places you can enter are different).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I mean, it's pretty much Kabuki-cho...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
They also reuse a lot of fictional areas for set piece Battles like Tojo HQ, Kamurocho Hills, Millennium Tower, the Okinawa arena, etc. I do appreciate this because every level designer and artist not spending time designing a new area is a person free to work on new and exciting ways for Kiryu to destroy a man's bones.

At least in the final battle of 3, when Kiryu sent someone to the ER, it was a short trip, and possibly literal as well as figurative.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I actually really like their process of just having different things happening on the street and maybe different shops occasionally opening up in the same city. It leaves more room for silly little story beats, which work better in familiar territory, I think. And throwing in one other small place like Osaka or Okinawa can add a nice mix.

I don't think any other game could get away with it, but since Yakuza is an RPG set in the modern world with just-shy-of-real settings, it works out pretty well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza Studio to debut new games on August 26th.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Give me a Kiwami collection for 2-5 or give me something else but ideally the Kiwami collection.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yakuza Haruka.

EDIT:

Actually, that's run into the ground by now, isn't it. Okay, a cooking game with Majima.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 26, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I honestly don't want to play the whole series over again after playing through the originals twice already. Glad new comers get to play the whole series on current gen. Bring on Yakuza 6 and 7. I want to play as a 90 year old Kiryu.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Housh posted:

I honestly don't want to play the whole series over again after playing through the originals twice already. Glad new comers get to play the whole series on current gen. Bring on Yakuza 6 and 7. I want to play as a 90 year old Kiryu.

Yakuza: Retirement Home.

Kazuma Kiryu is 90 years old, but he still burns with the hot-blooded desire for justice! When a gang of retired, senile yakuza move into the Sunshine Retirement Home and start bullying the other inhabitants, stealing their pudding, only watching the shows they want to watch in the break room, and cheating at checkers, the Dragon of Dojima must once again make things right the only way he knows how: his own two fists.

All new HEAT actions! Feel the HEAT when Kazuma busts the most brutal special moves yet, such as 'smash his walker over their head' and 'impale them on IV stand' and 'toss them face-first into the dirty adult diaper bin!'
Exciting minigames! Test your skill and coordination in minigames like 'remember who Haruka is when she comes to visit' and 'dueling television remotes against Majima'
Classic storyline! Like all Yakuza stories, expect to see corrupt cops, weird links to the Korean criminal underground, and Millenium Tower getting blown up, yet again.

SUDDEN CLOSEUP SHOT OF OLD KIRYU, BENT OVER HIS WALKER, DETERMINED LOOK ON HIS FACE, SUDDENLY GRAB THE LAPEL OF HIS STRIPED TERRYCLOTH BATHROBE AND TEAR IT OFF, EXPOSING HIS WRINKLY BUT STILL IMPRESSIVE DRAGON TATTOO, ONLY NOW IT HAS A REALLY LONG, FLOWING GREY BEARD.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'd play it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2QeLGqtWs

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Housh posted:

Yeah I'm not particularly interested in them bringing the old ones forward. Give me something new. Give me another period piece. I want a post-war-era Yakuza game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm super interested in it, since Y0 was my first yakuza. I hope they manage to do both really well. I don't really care if the ports/remakes/remasters are low-effort. If I get to play them on a modern console, that's great. I'm gonna play sequels either way.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is this thing going to have the english voice actors? I thought they spent a lot to get a good cast for it. Are they reusing the audio assets?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fix posted:

Is this thing going to have the english voice actors? I thought they spent a lot to get a good cast for it. Are they reusing the audio assets?

Originally yes. The first game had some crazy high-budget voice acting. But there's no way it'll come back - first, the series sees the Japanese voices as a strength (seeing it more like a foreign film), and second, budget.

Enough of the game has apparently been re-written that re-using the original dubs would probably not work. As well, they used different names and did a different style of translation back then than they would use now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I didn't mind the English dub, especially Date and Majima, but now it's hard to imagine it any other way but Japanese.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Hamill as Majima sure was something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The best voice for the best character.

My favorite was how they changed certain names so that Western audiences wouldn't be confused when Kazuma was talking about Kazama, and then they kept the names in the subtitles for 2 so that hearing "Kazama" would show "Fuma" in the subtitles, and then abandoned the localized names entirely by 4.