Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't think it's really fair to "blame" Watson for anything, especially when we don't know what Sherlock's brain problems actually are. Mental illness and neurological issues aren't easily diagnosed at the best of times, and Sherlock's eccentric as hell to begin with.

It is an interesting end to the season though, and I have to wonder where they're going to take the series from here.

She will be to blame when the SBK leader gets loving murdered in prison :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat that was a satisfying episode...minus Sherlock maybe having brain problems. Looking forward to next season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She will be to blame when the SBK leader gets loving murdered in prison :v:

She doesn't have a problem with that tonight!

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Yeah, good thing it got renewed, this would be even worse as a series finale than 2 Broke Girls' final episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't watched any of season five yet but does Cortez come back in it? She's a pretty good rival for Watson.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't watched any of season five yet but does Cortez come back in it? She's a pretty good rival for Watson.

No.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's too bad. There's lots of characters I think might be fun to see again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's too bad. There's lots of characters I think might be fun to see again.

Yes, such as, Moriarty.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She's not in season five either, huh? :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

She's not in season five either, huh? :(

Season 5 is pretty low-key actually, I think they'll ramp it up for 6 (with good confidence it'll be the final season).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet season six will be about Holmes and Watson trying to thwart a scheme involving President William Hull.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just started watching this the other day. I like it, but I think I'd like it more if it wasn't a Sherlock Holmes adaptation. Its attachments to the source material are so vestigial, not much more than names and references, that I think it stands better as its own story.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, the chap who played Shinwell, Nelsan Ellis, dead at 39... that's no age to go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

drat, the chap who played Shinwell, Nelsan Ellis, dead at 39... that's no age to go.

Aw poo poo, that's awful. Heart failure, so unless he was on the blow a lot it's probably genetic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, that totally sucks.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Skippy McPants posted:

Just started watching this the other day. I like it, but I think I'd like it more if it wasn't a Sherlock Holmes adaptation. Its attachments to the source material are so vestigial, not much more than names and references, that I think it stands better as its own story.

It adapts and references some of the cases and storylines from the source material too. Calling the ties to the source "vestigial" is questionable. If it weren't presented as an adaptation and even if names were changed, people would still call it out as an adaptation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's also deliberately a post-Baker Street setting which is an interesting turn in its own right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holmes who's had to deal with addiction isn't a common take. I think The Seven Percent Solution is the only really big one that goes into Holmes's drug habit and explores it as something he's had to struggle to overcome. Of course, there's not much point in trying to do completely straight adaptations of the stories because they've already been done as near to perfectly as could be hoped for already in the Granada series from the 1980s - that's the definitive adaptation. Not saying you shouldn't do that, just that there's not much point because it's hard to see how you could improve on that. Looking at the other big adaptation of the past decade or so, the Guy Ritchie movies, for example, focus more on the action element. I like them a lot but the second one especially is very Sexton Blake.

Although my father and I have many disagreements, the one time we've come close to actually arguing about anything was about who played the best Sherlock Holmes; I said it's Brett, he said it's Rathbone. :D

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's definitely Cumberbatch, he deserved better than the post-season 1 writing he got.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone here can give me a hand. I'm trying to remember which episode this is, and I'm pretty sure it was in Season 5, but it's one where the victim ended up being someone that testified at the same trial Sherlock did, or something, and he figures out that other people linked with the trial were being killed too, but their deaths being made out to be accidental? Something like that? I've gone through the episode synopses, but I can't find it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think that was episode 15/16 (two parter).

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Holmes getting dementia? It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp02ubGuTIU

:cry:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love old detectives. My favourite from novels is Nero Wolfe and I'm planning on watching A Nero Wolfe Mystery next. Any other particularly outstanding adaptations I should think about checking out?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think that was episode 15/16 (two parter).

Sweet, thanks!!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Holmes getting dementia? It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp02ubGuTIU

:cry:

I can't see this video in my country, but I assume it's about the movie 'Mr Holmes'? I just got round to watching it and I thought it was really good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't see this video in my country, but I assume it's about the movie 'Mr Holmes'? I just got round to watching it and I thought it was really good.

Nah, it's the Mitchell and Webb sketch where Holmes is senile. If you haven't seen it, you're really not missing much.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Nah, it's the Mitchell and Webb sketch where Holmes is senile. If you haven't seen it, you're really not missing much.

Oh. Well Mr Holmes for those who don't know is a movie about an elderly retired Sherlock Holmes played by Sir Ian McKellen who's developing dementia and desperately trying to remember the final case he took on 30 years ago that caused him to retire.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Elementary Season 6 is slated as a 13 episode season, i.e. a half-season. That means it's likely the wrap-up for the series.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kinda sad but it needed to happen. It's pretty obvious this show ran out of gas a couple of seasons ago. It's best that it has a dignified exit before it degenerates into Bones territory.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's owed a send-off and this cliffhanger would have been incredibly cruel haha. 13 should be enough imho.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A strong send-off would be good. If the quality kept up, I'd watch 10 more seasons. But the risk of Dexter-ing would be high, and a strong ending's great for rewatchability so I'd be satisfied with a good send-off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Elementary Season 6 is slated as a 13 episode season, i.e. a half-season. That means it's likely the wrap-up for the series.

I think Natalie Dormer has indicated that she's going to be back this season as well. Probably means the same thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Natalie Dormer has indicated that she's going to be back this season as well. Probably means the same thing.

Right, imho good news all around. I still loved S5 (though not as much as previous seasons) so if they land it well it'll be a series that ended almost exactly the right time and was good throughout.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do hope they get that crooked female police detective who Watson's beat in a boxing match back. I feel like that's a plot that could be resolved in some fashion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
John Noble is confirmed to return S6.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pick posted:

John Noble is confirmed to return S6.
This makes me very happy because it means that there will be more creative insults from Sherlock. Now we just need news on Natalie Dormer.

In other news, I'm seeing conflicting reports on the exact date, but it looks like S6 will start during the second week of January. I'll probably put up a thread after New Year's.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thanks! I still love this show :)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
That’s great news. Thanks for digging it up. If they get both Moreland and Moriearty back, that tells me everyone really is planning for this to be the final season. I don’t think that would qualify as a fringe theory...

On an unrelated note, I prefer waiting to start the season in January compared to what CBS used to do. Delay start to November-ish after early season Thursday night games. Sign of the binge watch tv show times.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'll take the show whenever they want, as long as it starts when it's scheduled to start each night. This is one of the hardest shows on TV to DVR, because the episodes on during football season start anywhere from 30 minutes to 1hr 15mins late.

I still haven't watched season 5 because it got too annoying to keep up with. Going to go binge watch it to catch up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still feel a bit about Season 5, it's not bad at all but it needed a punch, and without Morland or Moriarty it's sort of limp. I don't even remember the antagonist's name.

But with Morland back, well gently caress yes! Dude was a presence. And still a wildcard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still maintain that the end of Season 4 was as good as anything the show ever did and one hell of a hook, and the payoff for finally meeting Morland was 110% worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 6 is going to be 21 episodes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/elementary-gets-expanded-season-6-order-at-cbs-1062377

• Locked thread