Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bungbroy posted:

I ordered one of the Switches from Amazon yesterday, and picked one day shipping. Did Amazon require signature on Switch delivery for anyone? I gotta go run a quick errand and would really hate to miss the package as I'm off work today.

No, they left it on my doorstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh boy, a new thread. I'm a big fan of my Switch and can't wait for it to get more games for me to play!

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys

GreenNight posted:

No, they left it on my doorstep.

Thanks for the peace of mind.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'll get Spla2n on cart on the off chance I don't like it and trade it in. Prime makes it $48 for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of Splatoon;

Ausgoons, Target has the current lowest price at $64. No mention of the Pro Controller's price, but that'll probably get $10 knocked off as well. Maybe, if we wish real hard :pray:.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Other than load times are there any advantages to going digital?

I guess this doesn't happen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wifi chat: Nintendo's wifi has historically been funky way back to the Wii, meanwhile I don't really hear people bitching about the 3DS' so not sure what the deal is with them. When in doubt get a LAN adapter for docked at least, always works.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Splatoon and eventually Rocket League are gonna have to be digital so I can just pop in and play a few rounds whenever I want.

By the way can they get Spelunky on this thing? That would ooooown

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Download multiplayer games, get single player games on cart

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zelder posted:

Download multiplayer games, get single player games on cart

After a lifetime of carts, that is where I'm going with Switch. I can loan the single player things out to friends as I finish them, but all of the stuff i actively play from time to time will just reside on memory. Was at my brother's a few weeks ago and we were just hopping between games every few rounds and it was really convenient.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hi new Switch thread! I love my Switch :)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

After a lifetime of carts, that is where I'm going with Switch. I can loan the single player things out to friends as I finish them, but all of the stuff i actively play from time to time will just reside on memory. Was at my brother's a few weeks ago and we were just hopping between games every few rounds and it was really convenient.

I made the rookie mistake of getting Mario kart on kart (ha), but I'm getting splatoon digitally. And I already downloaded arms.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Is it a hassle to transfer digital purchases from one system to another?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
If I buy a cart but later want to go digital, can I get a digital copy and have my saves transfer over?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is no transfer, all the saves are already in your system. Doesn't matter what version you play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phantasium posted:

Can't wait to buy Mario Odyssey in ghostly form.

gently caress that, give me analog amiibo and we'll talk.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There is no transfer, all the saves are already in your system. Doesn't matter what version you play.

So they fixed all that? The 3DS had a save data transfer tool, hence my curiosity about the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

oopsie rock posted:

So they fixed all that? The 3DS had a save data transfer tool, hence my curiosity about the Switch.

All Switch saves are always stored in internal memory, the main problem being there is no way to back them up or transfer to another switch. However leaked documents have indicated there might be cloud saves next year as part of Nintendo Switch Online

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AndrewP posted:

Splatoon and eventually Rocket League are gonna have to be digital so I can just pop in and play a few rounds whenever I want.

This is me with Puyo Puyo Tetris. The Zelda cart is living in my Switch but it takes thirty seconds before I pop some Puyo. I feel like if I had ARMS digitally I would play it more

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went physical with Spla2n even though I subscribe to the "MP games digitally" philosophy solely because of the 20% E3 discount. If I could have gotten that digitally I probably would have.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

All Switch saves are always stored in internal memory, the main problem being there is no way to back them up or transfer to another switch. However leaked documents have indicated there might be cloud saves next year as part of Nintendo Switch Online

Got it. Thanks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently Nintendo just trademarked some stuff

No idea what it's for yet precisely.

My hope:
Giant amiibo statue installations that you have to journey to like a pilgrimage for DLC

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

My hope:
Giant amiibo statue installations that you have to journey to like a pilgrimage for DLC

Well they've already talked about having my Nintendo rewards for checking in to theme parks and poo poo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I could see them doing stuff like "tag your amiibo at this kiosk at the Nintendo Store to unlock its potential".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

My hope:

I'm guessing this is the Switch version of the 3DS' Spotpass, where you could stop into Best Buy/Starbucks/McDonalds and download trailers/demos/etc

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Bloop posted:

Somebody screwed up and put half of Waluigi's moustache instead of Mario's

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm hopefully going to have time to try the demo this weekend, but can someone explain to me why Splatoon 2 is so good? I've watched videos of the first one and it feels like an inordinate amount of time per match is spent just spamming paint onto the walls. I'm wanting to like the game and hoping it will just kind of click for me when I play it, but does it really have a lot of longevity as a multiplayer game where you can get really good at it or doing ranked mode etc?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

I'm hopefully going to have time to try the demo this weekend, but can someone explain to me why Splatoon 2 is so good? I've watched videos of the first one and it feels like an inordinate amount of time per match is spent just spamming paint onto the walls. I'm wanting to like the game and hoping it will just kind of click for me when I play it, but does it really have a lot of longevity as a multiplayer game where you can get really good at it or doing ranked mode etc?

Yes.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

its a shooter that lets you feel like youre doing well even if youre bad at shooters

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bungbroy posted:

I ordered one of the Switches from Amazon yesterday, and picked one day shipping. Did Amazon require signature on Switch delivery for anyone? I gotta go run a quick errand and would really hate to miss the package as I'm off work today.

Anything delivered by Amazon LLC does not require a signature, but as always it is up to the deliverer to determine if it is safe to leave the package. If you live in a seedy area without a gate or apartment lobby then I'd still probably worry a tiny bit. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Splatoon happened because someone bet Nintendo employees they couldn't make watching paint dry fun.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Do you think ARMS has longevity as a multiplayer game? I'm trying to determine what games I even want to get on this thing other than Splatoon 2 in the near future and the competitive aspects of it really interest me, but it feels a bit bare bones in regards to wanting to keep playing long after release. Otherwise I guess I'll pick up Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo Tetris because I know for certain those games can hold up in the long run.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think the ranked modes will click more with you. Give them a look.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Do you think ARMS has longevity as a multiplayer game? I'm trying to determine what games I even want to get on this thing other than Splatoon 2 in the near future and the competitive aspects of it really interest me, but it feels a bit bare bones in regards to wanting to keep playing long after release. Otherwise I guess I'll pick up Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo Tetris because I know for certain those games can hold up in the long run.

They're adding new content for it via free patches. Maybe wait? The core gameplay is very fun online.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Futaba Anzu posted:

I like ARMS more than most people will, and I'd say it's very uncertain at this point. I said earlier that unless you like "getting good" at regular fighting games, you will unlikely find it has longevity. I really don't know what kind of balance changes Nintendo might do, but right now the fact that you gain super meter on whiffed punches is seeming like a big problem, and based on how Nintendo balance changes other "competitive" games, I can see them totally ignoring certain things. There is one really lovely stage that ruins competitive matches, and it's on a random chance of being a stage you play in ranked mode. For the game to have longevity I think Nintendo will need to take certain things seriously and listen to whatever competitive scene may exist.

Right now there is an issue/debate about whether tournaments should allow non-default arms or not. I don't really have a side on this issue, but ranked mode allows you to use custom arms, so if tournaments do end up only allowing default arms, there will be no online equivalent mode that is similar to tournament play...which will be bad for long-term viability of the game imo.

The Nintendo-sanctioned tournaments in Japan and the one at E3 are also requiring you to use motion controls. This is a big departure from any other fighting game scene where you can use pad, stick, hitbox--any input device you are most comfortable with.

Finally, I see almost no one streaming the game on Twitch at all. It's not super uncommon for a game like Street Fighter 5 to have no one streaming it outside of a major, and then suddenly it being on the top 8 of Twitch during a big tournament. Usually though the game will have significant numbers of people streaming it on release. Right after Arms came out barely anyone was streaming it.

It could basically go either way at this point. I'm pretty sure I'll get just around $60 worth of fun out of it even if the game ends up having no longevity, but most people probably wouldn't.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of Splatoon;

Ausgoons, Target has the current lowest price at $64. No mention of the Pro Controller's price, but that'll probably get $10 knocked off as well. Maybe, if we wish real hard :pray:.

gently caress, that's a bargain. Cheers

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You're pretty much supposed to paint the walls, knocking out other players is only to keep them from painting your glorious color with their sickness.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm going to be out of the country for a few months and this time I'm leaving my PS4 and only taking my Switch. I'm going to have to wait until I'm back to play Yakuza kiwami but I'll have Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Note: Painting walls doesn't improve your score, only painting floors. Painting walls is needed for area control and mobility however. If you go around painting walls you won't be getting points.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I went digital because I have a 4 year old and those loving carts are itty bitty. Physical isn't cheaper if I have to buy it again. Plus I'm a lazy gently caress who doesn't want to get up and walk over to the TV to switch games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Imagined posted:

I went digital because I have a 4 year old and those loving carts are itty bitty. Physical isn't cheaper if I have to buy it again. Plus I'm a lazy gently caress who doesn't want to get up and walk over to the TV to switch games.

But the carts are extremely bitter to stop children from eating them

• Locked thread