Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tired Moritz posted:

It was explicitly scum team's lucky Odin that flipped the game from town to scum.

It was clutch, but that was just one thing in a long line of them.

Like that Odin wouldn't have been able to flip the game if those peoples jobs weren't already fried by the other powers earlier, Moat's Tsunami and Odin, several town doom's/poison's, etc.

BTW, I really think scum should have done the PGO/Rod combo. I think that could have done a lot of damage earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

King Burgundy posted:

BTW, I really think scum should have done the PGO/Rod combo. I think that could have done a lot of damage earlier.

yes this, so much this. I was so excited for this to happen but you guys didn't do it. lol.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It was too risky. One jailer active and it would have been burned for nothing. On the night we were considering it there were 11 other players alive, if even one of them was a jailer it'd be a wasted night on a night where we really needed a big play.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

The Ninth Layer posted:

It was too risky. One jailer active and it would have been burned for nothing. On the night we were considering it there were 11 other players alive, if even one of them was a jailer it'd be a wasted night on a night where we really needed a big play.

No that is perfectly acceptable from your point of view. The reason i was clamoring for it is because i could see the actions everyone had already submitted and was like DO ITTTTTTT.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Lynch all lurkers what stupid poo poo.

Great game as usual cpig

Flamander
May 4, 2009
Well, that was a game.

Came really close near the end there. I was the only town to get lynched.

The combination of the amount of people and the randomly-assigned jobs wasn't great, IMO; but you can't really avoid either. It meant that everyone's posts were muddled because people were posting so frequently early on - that happened less later on because the necromancers and berserkers killed off so many people (by the way, in retrospect, I shouldn't have expected YT to have tried a vig based on the thread's opinion when there were 26-29 other people in the thread.)

I didn't really enjoy playing the game, but on the other hand, I didn't get to play it for very long, so :shrug:. Enjoyed watching it though!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I enjoyed my Bard role and chose not to use any of the clearly scummy actions except for that one bus drive I threw out there because I love the bus driver role very much.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

Tired Moritz posted:

my reads were pretty bad, but I did call out Asiina and Jam early so woo woo

I love you too =)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if you wanna see a game where randomness leads to a ridiculous townlead, you can go check out the build a pizza thread

Jamuraan posted:

I love you too =)

same!! xoxo

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

King Burgundy posted:

Sure. But none of that speaks to balance. My primary point is that town only had one miscuddle and the scum won, so the game was obviously not balanced against the scum. Especially given that the scum didn't do anything non action related to earn it. In case it isn't clear, I'm not arguing that it was balanced against town either. I think it was pretty balanced.

I agree with the fact that it was hard to call the game balanced against either side. There was so much variance (our main killing tools, Necromancy and Leviathan, basically read "X people might die") that I think it would be hard to reliably predict a winner going in.

quote:

BTW, on the lurking thing, the way to prevent that from being the correct strategy is if we vote lurkers out. People are going to be mad at me in future mafia games for not playing mafia, but I'll be primarily voting lurkers now until they are all gone. Especially given posts by you and MMT saying lurking was the correct strategy for scum. I'll point out these posts when people try to tell me that lurking is alignment neutral.

What's funny is that even though our points of view were obviously way different this game, I basically agree with you on this. Like 80%.

The problem is that you can't say "I'm always going to do ___" in a game like Mafia because it makes you exploitable. If I'm scum and you're town in our next game, I'm probably going to make sure my team posts as much as possible, casing lurking town as an easy out. There are enough people who lurk regardless of alignment that I think there's a WIfOM risk involved in just blindly going after lurkers.

That said, I do think that lurking is a more-often-reliable-than-not way to pick out scum, and if it turns out we're both town in the next game I'll probably back you up unless I see a better case. Like I said in some other game (when I was scum and needed content :j:), I would love to crunch some numbers and see what the odds are of hitting scum on any given day of Mafia if you randomly pick a name in the bottom 25% of the postcount. I feel like the odds are in towns' favor, especially at the beginning (where reads aren't good yet) and end (when the game has been going on for more than a week) of the game.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mithross's self vote loving ruled. Amazing play.

YT I took none of your actions personally. I really did believe you were scum tho. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

I agree with the fact that it was hard to call the game balanced against either side. There was so much variance (our main killing tools, Necromancy and Leviathan, basically read "X people might die") that I think it would be hard to reliably predict a winner going in.

What's funny is that even though our points of view were obviously way different this game, I basically agree with you on this. Like 80%.

The problem is that you can't say "I'm always going to do ___" in a game like Mafia because it makes you exploitable. If I'm scum and you're town in our next game, I'm probably going to make sure my team posts as much as possible, casing lurking town as an easy out. There are enough people who lurk regardless of alignment that I think there's a WIfOM risk involved in just blindly going after lurkers.

That said, I do think that lurking is a more-often-reliable-than-not way to pick out scum, and if it turns out we're both town in the next game I'll probably back you up unless I see a better case. Like I said in some other game (when I was scum and needed content :j:), I would love to crunch some numbers and see what the odds are of hitting scum on any given day of Mafia if you randomly pick a name in the bottom 25% of the postcount. I feel like the odds are in towns' favor, especially at the beginning (where reads aren't good yet) and end (when the game has been going on for more than a week) of the game.

That would be an awesome result. But it's easy to say that and harder to do. Since you yourself kept saying both in thread and in scum chat that you were about to come out swinging and you still never did.

The actual goal of doing that would be to get people who aren't going to play to stop signing up and/or to ramp up their posting. So if someone exploits me that is still a win.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

That would be an awesome result. But it's easy to say that and harder to do. Since you yourself kept saying both in thread and in scum chat that you were about to come out swinging and you still never did.

The actual goal of doing that would be to get people who aren't going to play to stop signing up and/or to ramp up their posting. So if someone exploits me that is still a win.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

King Burgundy posted:

Haha yeah when I said I'd come back swinging I wasn't lying! I genuinely thought I'd be able to catch up and blend in, trying to catch up and drawing a complete blank came as a horrifying surprise to me. I re-read the scumdoc and forgot that I was relatively upbeat and optimistic about how I was doing on the first few days, but as the game went on there was nowhere to hide and I had nothing to say :eng99:

quote:

:j::respek::v:

• Locked thread