Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the implication that everyone will end on the same page, even if not on the same side - everyone is in equal amounts of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also, we now have an official promo poster for the TV movie:

The butterfly lens flare is a nice touch, but I find myself wondering who that little dude in the jester cap is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Here's another poster, courtesy of boarder/Season 4 director Sabrina Cotugno (Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the long trailer):

Not gonna lie, of all the segments of the event, this is the one I'm the most excited to see. They've been playing their cards fairly close to their chest when it comes to Queen Moon, and it'll be interesting to finally get some backstory on why she is the way she is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not gonna lie, of all the segments of the event, this is the one I'm the most excited to see. They've been playing their cards fairly close to their chest when it comes to Queen Moon, and it'll be interesting to finally get some backstory on why she is the way she is.

I feel the same way, I'm also interested in learning more about Eclipsa.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

OH DEAR LORD THEY'RE TALKING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShmwoCR-zM

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

They grow up so fast.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Cleaner promo here

At this rate, I wonder if they'll be full-grown by the end of the series.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are two of them conjoined?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are two of them conjoined?

We're spoilering previews?

I thought it was two tadpoles in one egg, but apparently they're conjoined

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Madurai posted:

We're spoilering previews?

I thought it was two tadpoles in one egg, but apparently they're conjoined

Yeah, I figure it's for the best, especially since some of the most recent previews have had some major spoilers in them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, I figure it's for the best, especially since some of the most recent previews have had some major spoilers in them.

If the season 2 promos are any indication, I suspect that there are two major revelations for every one in the promos. I also suspect we haven't seen a single frame from the "Toffee" part.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If the season 2 promos are any indication, I suspect that there are two major revelations for every one in the promos. I also suspect we haven't seen a single frame from the "Toffee" part.

Oh, for sure. At the same time though, stuff like "Toffee killed my mother" and "Eclipsa is alive and I made a deal with her" are still pretty major revelations, so it's probably best to keep stuff from the promos (Mostly) under tags for the time being.

Anyway, some other stuff:

-Adam MacArthur (Marco), Eden Sher (Star), and Daron Nefcy (Show creator/Starfan13) are going to be doing another live-chat on Monday, and will be showing a preview of Season 3. This is somewhat notable, since Adam and Daron have done a bunch of these before, but it's the first time Eden will be contributing.
-Daron's going to be doing a panel at D23 on Friday along with Alex Hirsch, which can only mean good things, probably
-More boarders have been contributing Season 3 posters:

Source

Source
(Deliberately non-canon)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 12, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That Toffee has too many fingers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Senerio posted:

That Toffee has too many fingers.

Hey, he said he was coming for his finger, he didn't say which one :v:

Also, we've got another pair of posters, this time from boarders Zach Marcus and Cassie Zwart. First, let's see Cassie's submission:

It's a good poster, for sure. But it's missing some kind of... je ne sais quoi? Still, it's pretty good. Now, let's see what Zach, whose previous work includes the poster for Just Friends, came up with:

Perfection

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like the tadpole with the really buff legs, I hope it was the one who was late to develop :3:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Source

Well that's not ominous at all.

Edit: Oh also, since I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, the showtimes on Saturday are going to be 11AM, 2PM, and 7PM EST. It will also (allegedly) begin showing up on the Disney XD app ~3AM.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 13, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
more promo posters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wanna see Marco hanging out with Queen Moon. I have a feeling they'd get along well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3-4fVGrCc

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's a really good preview. I like that Princess Moon is similar but distinct to Star in that they are both very aggressive in their own way, but Star is in more the "charge right in and hope for the best" kind of girl, while her mother is more "Now that I've made my territory in this camp clear with this blanket, I've just spotted 13 different ways to kill you with this very camp just while eating my turkey leg". Moon didn't give a fuuuuuck

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's hard to say what's gotten the biggest laugh out of me so far but the wagon turning into the "Butter-Flyer" is high up there.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 15, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is it airing already or was that something I missed in an earlier episode?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it airing already or was that something I missed in an earlier episode?

Yep, they just finished the second segment.

Edit: Next start time is 2PM EST, and then again at 7.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 15, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Holy poo poo I can't believe Glossaryck is loving dead :stare:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe Glossaryck is loving dead :stare:

I thought Glossaryck was dead when Toffee was sucking away the magic from everyone in the magic counsel, so his death (again) didn't affect me too much.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I knew yellow was joy magic!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, just finished the final segment. That was really good. I especially loved (ending)Toffee-Toffee (because he has been reduced to toffee in consistency :v:) all slorping towards the cast half melted and raving after that blast. That was brutal. I also liked his line "You don't even recognise your own magic when you're swimming in it..."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

One thing is a little unclear to me. Was the whole reason why Toffee screwed over everyone and magic itself simply to get his finger back?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

One thing is a little unclear to me. Was the whole reason why Toffee screwed over everyone and magic itself simply to get his finger back?

I am guessing he will revive again as he is supposed to be immortal then we will find out.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing he will revive again as he is supposed to be immortal then we will find out.

I think

Toffee's gone; the pact with Eclipsa only frees her if Toffee's dead so... yeah, unless he's explicitly resurrected by another person, I think he's done.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

He broke the back of Mewman magic and used Ludo to take over the Butterfly Kingdom. That was also part of his plan since he guided Ludo along every step of the way, and he probably would have commanded the rats to kill everyone in the crater if Star hadn't Kamehameha'd him. The finger was just so he could regrow his old body since it was a piece of his original self. The second Whispering Spell wasn't part of his plan, either (he'd have fought Moon off and ransomed Star the regular way), but he made good use of the opportunity.

PS: If you're a Star fan and you haven't watched Battle for Mewni yet, I'd suggest avoiding YouTube because my recommended list is full of spoilers.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 16, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just watched it all on DisneyXD app and man was it worth it.

The ending theme song is done by someone who actually does anime theme songs but I can't name them off the top of my head even though I swear I've heard them before. Any ideas?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So having just finished watching the end of the special, I think my reaction can be summed up pretty closely along the lines of :suspense: Ho-ly poo poo what a set of episodes. (Also we can stop using spoilers now, the episode's aired guys)

I don't think Toffee is gone though, not completely. He's probably dead, but we still don't know what his real end goal was, and what the lasting effects will be.

Also, going back to Glossaryck, apparently someone pointed this out:

That's some chunk.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The mime is a genius

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think Toffee is gone though, not completely. He's probably dead, but we still don't know what his real end goal was, and what the lasting effects will be.

To conquer the Butterfly Kingdom, which required him to end the threat of Butterfly magic. Toffee's goals aren't nearly as complicated as his plans.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lanz posted:

I think

Toffee's gone; the pact with Eclipsa only frees her if Toffee's dead so... yeah, unless he's explicitly resurrected by another person, I think he's done.

Yeah, Toffee is dead, and Eclipsa is free. She seems nice enough though, maybe they just locked her away because everyone in the past was racist and they were mad at her for being in an interspecies relationship.

I wonder what'll happen to Ludo this season? I'm worried about that little guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think the answer is "yes and no". If you remember, Toffee's army only surrendered/dissolved because they saw Moon had the power to kill them/nullify their regeneration powers when she blew Toffee's finger off. So he had to get rid of magic if he was ever going to take another run at crushing the Butterflies. Now whether he just planned to make Star destroy the wand, or if he had this whole grand plan to get sucked into the wand from the start, it was all a play to eliminate the magic that could kill him. The finger itself was more symbolic, I think, of showing his immortality/power, although it would also probably to help him recruit a new army. And I presume the only reason he didn't really do anything at the end other than walk away because he basically achieved all his objectives when he was inside Ludo (kingdom destroyed (almost), magic all but eliminated, Moon Butterfly crushed, book/Glossaryck destroyed) and also because he's comically evil.

Also is Toffee just really soft or did Marco achieve super saiyan when he punched straight through a lizardman?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

From the goo pile he became I think the real reason Toffee has that name is that he has the consistency of Toffee - you can break him relatively easily, but he'll just run back together again and hit back even harder. He's basically made of goo, which is why he's so hard to actually kill.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I think what kinda gets me is that at the end, Star getting a tiny morsel of magic from the pot is enough to let her reform her wand, reconstitute her body, go full on Super Butterfly 3, and cast DIE on Toffee, all in like one smooth motion. Meanwhile, to get a spell to disable his immortality, Moon had to go to the Queen that had to be imprisoned, make a pact with her, chant an entire spell, apparently taint her body, and hit him in the heart (which she missed, but still). Star just blasted out a massive rear end beam and skipped all that, with a speck of magic.

Yeah, it's a great ending, but I hope we get a little more explanation on what exactly that was all about. So far, it doesn't make Eclipsa look very threatening, since her spell was pretty much blown out of the water by a relative novice with less power.

I mean, one explanation would be that the spell Eclipsa handed Moon was mostly bullshit, designed to just barely do the job she needed to do, but with the main purpose being the pact to free her. It being weak makes sense if its main goal was a single snipe to fulfill its stated purpose, and activate the pact. No reason to give this potential rival a GOOD spell, right?

Overall, great start to the season more or less, a little obviously like seven episodes stitched together, but it worked. I also liked some of the dancing they did with the censors, and them just tossing the whole "never say die" thing out the window, and then murdering it on the way down, and then declaring in big, bold font "BITCH IS DEAD".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kurui Reiten posted:

I think what kinda gets me is that at the end, Star getting a tiny morsel of magic from the pot is enough to let her reform her wand, reconstitute her body, go full on Super Butterfly 3, and cast DIE on Toffee, all in like one smooth motion. Meanwhile, to get a spell to disable his immortality, Moon had to go to the Queen that had to be imprisoned, make a pact with her, chant an entire spell, apparently taint her body, and hit him in the heart (which she missed, but still). Star just blasted out a massive rear end beam and skipped all that, with a speck of magic.

Yeah, it's a great ending, but I hope we get a little more explanation on what exactly that was all about. So far, it doesn't make Eclipsa look very threatening, since her spell was pretty much blown out of the water by a relative novice with less power.

Glossaryck has always hinted at Star's incredible untapped potential, and Baby outright said she could be even more powerful than Eclipsa one day. This didn't come from nowhere, and makes even more sense if you remember the callback to "dipping down" from early in Season 2.

The whole show has been building to that one moment, and it was awesome.