Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
OH HI THERE

Both are uncontrolled side streets, and since there's been a bunch of construction on the through streets there's been more idiots bombing around than usual.

I think the white SUV got torpedoed on the back driver's side door, and half-turtled while Long Lance spun around - there's a big wet mark the other side the SUV, uphill, and water-mark heading down to the accident.

edit - finally fixed goddamn

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Riding with other people tends to be a social thing, so we ride side-by-side to talk to each other. Imagine trying to talk a a friend while driving, but he is in the back seat behind you and all the windows are down. Also it is a 3 hour car ride.

The other thing is that a group of 10 bikes riding in a double line is shorter and easier to pass than 10 bikes single file. You have to cross the center line to go by safely either way.

Sorry adiabatic.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 10, 2017

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

That's why drones need to be deregulated so you can have one hover 100 feet above your car giving you real time information about every idiot converging on your location.

Put a docking station on the roof so it can charge up as needed or for storage when on faster roads.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/concept/renault-concept-has-roof-mounted-drone

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

I was driving on the highway yesterday and came upon a gaggle of about seven motorcyclists who are doing the old "block all lanes at 40MPH so our friends ahead of us can pop wheelies and hoon despite the other people who just want to loving get where they're going"

It took me way longer than I'd like to get a lucky with a gap to get around them, and at one point 3 of them tried to box me in while flipping me off, just because I was attempting a legal pass when they were all in the right lane for once. A Cherokee. On the highway. Boxed in by a couple sportbikes. That's likely to work.

I hate other motorcyclists so much.

Speaking of that,

Traffic is awful in Cincy right now cause there's all kinds of work being done right around downtown so places are getting really backed up during rush hour. I was in a 2 mile line of traffic when I noticed that all of the cars were nice enough to leave me a motorcycle sized lane right down the middle! Very considerate of them. As I rode past, 5 or 6 extra nice people honked their horn at me to tell me to have a nice day. I can't believe how sweet people can be, even when they're stuck in awful traffic.

Nah for real tho, the honks are the best and make me laugh in my helmet every time because all they're doing is letting me know that they're annoyed by me. Unless they think by honking I'll come to my senses and realize I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing....lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nsaP posted:

Speaking of that,

Traffic is awful in Cincy right now cause there's all kinds of work being done right around downtown so places are getting really backed up during rush hour. I was in a 2 mile line of traffic when I noticed that all of the cars were nice enough to leave me a motorcycle sized lane right down the middle! Very considerate of them. As I rode past, 5 or 6 extra nice people honked their horn at me to tell me to have a nice day. I can't believe how sweet people can be, even when they're stuck in awful traffic.

Nah for real tho, the honks are the best and make me laugh in my helmet every time because all they're doing is letting me know that they're annoyed by me. Unless they think by honking I'll come to my senses and realize I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing....lol

The only reason I honk when motorcyclists do that here is because it's definitely illegal.

Quick Google leads me to believe that's not necessarily the case in Ohio, but people are stupid and will honk anyways.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

The only reason I honk when motorcyclists do that here is because it's definitely illegal.

Quick Google leads me to believe that's not necessarily the case in Ohio, but people are stupid and will honk anyways.

The only state lane splitting is legal in is California.

nsaP posted:

Speaking of that,

I don't know how that ties in at all to what I posted about but you're nsaP so

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PCOS Bill posted:

The only state lane splitting is legal in is California.

There aren't any state laws in Ohio that explicitly prohibit lane splitting. California's different since it's the only state that has a law explicitly allowing lane splitting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do they differentiate between lane splitting and filtering?

I always think of it as the first one is sharing the lane with another bike at the same speed, and the latter is passing traffic down the line between lanes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The differentiation between them in my mind is that the traffic is moving or isn't, tho some would say filtering is done up to stop lights.

Bike are allowed to share a lane, it's not called splitting tho.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

InitialDave posted:

Do they differentiate between lane splitting and filtering?

I always think of it as the first one is sharing the lane with another bike at the same speed, and the latter is passing traffic down the line between lanes.

Probably technically, but I've heard lane splitting/lane sharing/filtering all refer to basically the same thing, which is the latter definition in your post. I don't think anyone (with a brain) would really care if two bikes ride abreast.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 10, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nsaP posted:

The differentiation between them in my mind is that the traffic is moving or isn't, tho some would say filtering is done up to stop lights.

Bike are allowed to share a lane, it's not called splitting tho.
Yeah, you're allowed to filter in slow moving traffic here, it doesn't have to be stationary.

So what do they call it if bikes share the same lane keepign abreast? Just sharing a lane?

Protocol7 posted:

I don't think anyone (with a brain) would really care if two bikes ride abreast.
There's always one, though, isn't there?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't know how you think this is an okay thing to post in the "these are the people you share a road with" thread but you're PCOS Bill so

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uh huh so anyhow

I went out to run an errand a bit ago, wound up on the highway where it's just turned three lanes wide for a bit because of a merge on and then a mile or so later becomes an exit lane, and I have a guy going my speed on my left who's been zoned out passing me at about .3mph for a few minutes, and a guy who just merged on and is driving down the soon to be exit lane who winds up next to me on my right when he gets up to highway speed.

It was a good thing I was paying attention because guy on my left started changing lanes to the right, and guy on my right started changing lanes to my left, nobody was behind me so I just dropped anchor and laid on my horn, and they came about 2' from smacking into each other in the space I had just been occupying.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
So close

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

Speaking of that,

Change Cincy to DFW, and that was my commute this morning. I filtered, sanely, in a place where it is illegal. Yet, I am somehow still alive to tell the tale.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I was in my Cherokee so it would just ruined my evening.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

OH HI THERE

Both are uncontrolled side streets, and since there's been a bunch of construction on the through streets there's been more idiots bombing around than usual.

I think the white SUV got torpedoed on the back driver's side door, and half-turtled while Long Lance spun around - there's a big wet mark the other side the SUV, uphill, and water-mark heading down to the accident.

edit - finally fixed goddamn

Welp, 12 hours later when I'm getting ready for bed...

Single tire-squealing-and-crash, followed by multiple calls of "no cops!" and discussion of flipping it back over, everyone had bailed by the time I got off the phone to 911.

(Not pictured: beer bottles that fallen out of the rear window.)

I guess they tried to claim they were hit and forced off the road, but the skidmarks and lack of debris say otherwise.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXIUBpuSqvM&feature=youtu.be

two bro trucks road rage, who will win? stay till the end to find out!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All trucks should be outfitted with defective takata airbags.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

That is the most shark-fin looking shark fin antenna that I have ever seen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's amazing to me how many "single vehicle probably under influence goes off road" claims I get in Ohio. I didn't know drunk driving was the state pastime.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 11, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

It's amazing to me how many "single vehicle probably under influence goes off road" claims I get in Ohio. I didn't't know drunk driving was the state pastime.

There's a bunch of breweries and little to no public transportation (especially up in Columbus). I'm surprised there's not more tbh.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think drinking and driving is pretty loving common but maybe I'm misjudging everyone with horrible lane discipline.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I came across a bullshit statistic it was claimed that 1 in 10 people on the road are under the influence.

Don't know how you'd prove that either way, but it's probably a good reminder to keep your head on a swivel out there.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just saw some minivan run an obvious red and the guy next to me in the huge new Caddy SUV jumped on the gas the instant the light changed. He came so close to t-boning the guy it had to be purposeful. After he barely missed the van he swerved wildly in his lane for a few seconds and tore around a corner with one wheel leaving the ground. I wonder who pissed in his Cheerios... I really wanted them to have an accident so I could get both the fuckers in hot water.

e: Made me think, when I got rear-ended at a red everybody around me just sort of looked for a few seconds and hosed off. What happened to helping your fellow man nail an obvious drunk by sticking around long enough to give a cell number or something? I relished getting a chance to help the police get the idiot who hit me.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 11, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Lime Tonics posted:

Holy poo poo! I don't even know what the gently caress. Hopefully both parties will be off the road for a good long time.

Eifert Posting posted:

It's amazing to me how many "single vehicle probably under influence goes off road" claims I get in Ohio. I didn't know drunk driving was the state pastime.

Yeah, not just Ohio. My wife works on a project tracking auto accidents and the majority are single vehicle with a drunk behind the wheel. And a surprising number of 1-occupant accidents the occupant wasn't driving, because he let some woman who he met at the bar drive and she ran away after the accident and sorry I don't know her name or what she looks like... (while sporting airbag burns or belt marks on the left shoulder.)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

monsterzero posted:

And a surprising number of 1-occupant accidents the occupant wasn't driving, because he let some woman who he met at the bar drive and she ran away after the accident and sorry I don't know her name or what she looks like... (while sporting airbag burns or belt marks on the left shoulder.)

This is actually pretty clever, minus the physical evidence. People get really creative at lies to avoid liability.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They even do it for us, even though you're literally always going to be at fault for a single-car off-road accident.

These people don't understand that it's actually trivially easy to tell whether a seatbelt was being used during an accident. If we think someone's lying about there being a passenger an experienced estimator can verify that in about 15 seconds.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lime Tonics posted:

There’s something really loving funny about that dude being SO loving ANGRY that he decided he’s going to attack the truck. ON foot. With a machete???

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Michael Scott posted:

This is actually pretty clever, minus the physical evidence. People get really creative at lies to avoid liability.

It's almost always the same story verbatim, so I'm starting to believe there might actually be a reverse Death Proof going on ...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s something really loving funny about that dude being SO loving ANGRY that he decided he’s going to attack the truck. ON foot. With a machete???

Also posting it to YouTube. I imagine that guy is still fuming from inside his full body cast, and convinced he was 100% right/wronged/innocent/whatever.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have no idea what outcome he expected, but I can't say I'm surprised with the one he got. Nothing good can come from approaching a moving car on foot with a weapon.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Lime Tonics posted:

I'm the car who sees these assholes coming and gets out of the way. Go buttfuck each other, I don't want any part of it.

Except it pulled over at the end so maybe they were together?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I'm the car who sees these assholes coming and gets out of the way. Go buttfuck each other, I don't want any part of it.

Except it pulled over at the end so maybe they were together?

My interpretation is they saw the whole thing developing and were either rubbernecking or sticking around to be a witness after the police show up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

xzzy posted:

My interpretation is they saw the whole thing developing and were either rubbernecking or sticking around to be a witness after the police show up.

Who wants to be around when bullets might start flying? Call it in and keep driving.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I think they are still getting used to the turning radius of that land yacht. I am not impressed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Saw a bike today with a orange plastic reflector sticking off the side, like it reaches about a foot to the left of the bike. My actual thought process: "oh that's a bit weird. Seems a bit passive aggressive, but I'd hate to judge. I guess it helps make sure people give space and you're trying to be respo- oh you've just ridden through a red light."

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Saw a bike today with a orange plastic reflector sticking off the side, like it reaches about a foot to the left of the bike. My actual thought process: "oh that's a bit weird. Seems a bit passive aggressive, but I'd hate to judge. I guess it helps make sure people give space and you're trying to be respo- oh you've just ridden through a red light."

Sidecar fell off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
TIL that when someone is backing up traffic into an intersection because they're trying to merge 1/4 mile before the merge point, they get pissed off when you drive around them on the shoulder.

Merge police are a perfect storm of infuriating. Think they're being polite when they are actually being rude, making the traffic worse, and thinking that they are in the right while doing it!

I'm taking the bike any day I have to deal with traffic from now on.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

That actually used to be a thing here in the 80's. Not sure about the legal status. Doesn't seem all that unreasonable, apart from the dorkiness.

The red light running, tho, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://youtu.be/wF2aWp9YPJ4