Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

The line about "it needs to be pink to stay" is what worries me the most.

Someone's car is gonna get uuuuuugly.

My first question would be "why not just paint it pink then and save the hassle eBaying it?"
Oh right because your story is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's not an amp. There is nothing on that board but a tiny little control transformer and the stupid analog gauge. All it does is move the needle.

If you want to take a darker (but probably realistic) view, it's a scam (scamp?). It's interesting that the board silk screen seems to indicate some legit production, but there are no spots for other components to be added. It just just passes the audio through and shows the AV visualization.

The transistor looking thing at the top of the pcb looks like an integrated amp chip to me, like this one for example:

That one's 41W per channel, though. Usually you'd have a bunch of transistors to handle hundreds of watts, hence the case size. But this one just has the one little amp, so it's probably a counterfeit that just says kenwood on the outside. I bet it does act as an amplifier, though, just nowhere near the specs it touts on the outside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

I bet it does act as an amplifier, though, just nowhere near the specs it touts on the outside.

How is this different from any other amp? :v:

1000 watts peak!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

xzzy posted:

1000 watts peak!

Because I think there's a difference between a misleading-but-technically correct "1000W! for 100μS, 200W continuous" rating and just straight up printing whatever you want on there and filling your device with mostly empty pcb :v:

E: Actually, I guess I'm wrong. You can get amps in that package that are rated for 300Wx2 if you can supply it with ±50V.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/LM4702CTA-NOPB/LM4702CTA-NOPB-ND/953410

So it's theoretically possible that that thing actually does what it says it does, although I am not sure I completely buy it.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 12, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a very old Chinese knock-off.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/archive/index.php/t-16309.html

A "Pioneer" with the same board and same blue VU meter from 17 years ago.

http://cartists.com/Cheap_Amps.php

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

xzzy posted:

1000 watts peak!

1000 watts peak ISL

If Struck by Lightning

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pmpo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a pretty large (expensive) circuit board to waste filling up all that space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

That's a pretty large (expensive) circuit board to waste filling up all that space invest in adding value.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How the Hell Is the Aston Martin Valkyrie a Road-Legal Car?

quote:

We reported, based on sources familiar with the Valkyrie's development, that the car would produce 1130 hp from its naturally aspirated 6.5-liter V12 and will weigh around 2,270 lbs. Aston Martin hasn't released any drivetrain specs today, but the company has confirmed a lot of the coolest details of the car.

Wut

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

the etched aluminum front badge is just 70 microns thick—making it only 30 percent as thick as a single human hair

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's effectively an F1 car with a closed shell.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
That's a proper supercar. I like it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Properly insane. Love it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's a proper supercar. I like it.

Unfortunately, I was curious about the price. That means I can't afford it. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Okay that's properly loving mental

And.... 1150hp from a normally aspirated 6.5 litre motor??????

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

quote:

Similar to what we previously reported, the etched aluminum front badge is just 70 microns thick—making it only 30 percent as thick as a single human hair. It's also 99.4 percent lighter than Aston Martin's traditional wing badge.
Hahaha what the gently caress?

We are all going to die as soon as these motherfuckers really turn up the wick on electrics.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If weight/thickness is that big a deal, why not just paint it on the body and bury it under the clearcoat they're certainly layering over everything?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Because they could. And aston are weird about their badge.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm going to buy one and de-badge it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

I'm going to buy one and de-badge it.

How? The badge is thinner than dental floss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Toothpaste would probably take it off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

SOS pad

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hilarity ensues as you scrub the emblem and the body is eaten off while the badge remains in the air

Meep meep

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Similar to what we previously reported, the etched aluminum front badge is just 70 microns thick—making it only 30 percent as thick as a single human hair. It's also 99.4 percent lighter than Aston Martin's traditional wing badge.

That’ll buff out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm sure i'm missing something obscenely obvious but where the hell are the axles?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

I'm sure i'm missing something obscenely obvious but where the hell are the axles?

Proper sportscars dropped truck axles quite a while ago. :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

iospace posted:

It's effectively an F1 car with a closed shell.

Not really.

It also doesn't package yet lol.

The Mercedes f1 based car is absolutely phenomenal though. And actually finished.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I like the idea of it but man it looks like poo poo. It legit looks like someone threw some wheels on a hydroplane boat, except less cool. Designer been playing Hydro Thunder at the arcade?

Also WHERE'S THE GRILL? Someone at Aston had a seizure when they saw it missing on this, guaranteed.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 12, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The "designer" is basically Adrian. And he's not a designer.
It's all aero lead. Which is why it looks poo poo. Project is RB lead not AM.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Side profile is pretty future though, ain't gonna hate on that...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Side profile is pretty future though, ain't gonna hate on that...

Can I hate the wheels? Because those ugly bastards kinda spoil it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What you can see is optional carbon fiber aero inserts, according to the article. But yeah, they don't look great. Not sure if the wheels have actually been shown yet, maybe they want to keep the brakes under wraps for a while longer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They kinda remind me of my old Tamiya RC car :3:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They kinda remind me of my old Tamiya RC car :3:

Its just like my anime toy cars

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

What you can see is optional carbon fiber aero inserts, according to the article. But yeah, they don't look great. Not sure if the wheels have actually been shown yet, maybe they want to keep the brakes under wraps for a while longer.

Makes sense. It'd be a shame to think they managed to make such an awesome chassis and body and then base the wheels on a Duplo set.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Saw this today on the dudes truck that is working on my floors. Pretty clever.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Not exactly waterproof, but he's gets style points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
To bring up fire engines again, this is going to be up for auction in about 24 hours

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-SO1x9RRCjBzl57.htm (you might need to register to see this, apologies if this is the case)

This is a fire-department maintained 1986 Landcruiser, 4WD and manual transmission with just under 5000 miles on the odometer. Diesel. Bidding starts at 440 bucks and I expect it to be sold for under $4k going by how these usually sell. Sadly the fire trucks never come with air conditioning.