Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Dude Sweet posted:

Picked it up from the autobody shop.

Dude, sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Clutch master cylinder that I just replaced a year ago was leaking internally. The hose that feeds into it from the brake fluid reservoir had broken down and got tiny bits of rubber all in the hydraulics. There's no replacement part for that hose so I used some tubing from a brake bleed kit, drained all the old fluid, and took the cylinder apart to clean it. It works fine now, but I need to find a real replacement for that hose.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Look for VW 8mm "blue" brake line hose. It's like $18/meter but well worth it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221797992308?_mwBanner=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BER2FT2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 5, 2017

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
I still haven't properly seen the paint in direct sunlight, but it has a pretty good amount of pearl in the paint.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Over the past few days: New headliner and small paint touch-up on a rust-dent on the trunk lid edge on the E36. This is my first attempt at headliner repair and it all went fairly easily with the exception of putting it back in the car, which required my wife to help hold the back part hooked in place while I installed the oh-poo poo handles and sun visors. Overall I am happy with the results for $80 in materials. It's not PERFECT but it's a drat sight better than before.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Lined it up for a picture

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

New auxilary battery in the cruiser. Of course 5 days after i put $1600 worth of tyres on, the $400 aux battery shits the bed...

$2K in 6 days is loving BMW cooling system levels of ownership costs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's a big fucken UPS battery you've got there

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
This makes me want to relocate the battery into the spare tire sump reallly bad

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

That's a big fucken UPS battery you've got there

I was about to say, that looks like the batteries we use on the fire alarm systems at work...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Technically yesterday, but DoritoPower (who's FD is also in the shot) was kind enough to help me hit the new to the stable Audi with a properly thick coat of CQuartz. It will never be this clean again.

Next up, as teased in the chat thread, are some proper glamour shots for the post your ride thread.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Audi?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
RIP Muscle Van:

This bit had come loose on the muffler. I didn't find a replacement for less than $150, so I bought $5 of 8ga copper wire:

Purrs like a kitten now, it HAD been roaring like a crazy dragster (video proof.)

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

You monster. Porsche Macan in Martini livery

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 10, 2017

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Jymmybob posted:

Yeah, but he did say Audi.

McTinkerson posted:

Technically yesterday, but DoritoPower (who's FD is also in the shot) was kind enough to help me hit the new to the stable Audi with a properly thick coat of CQuartz. It will never be this clean again.

Probably because it's somewhat related to the Q5.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Yeah that confused me too

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DropShadow posted:

Yeah, but he did say Audi.

Probably because it's somewhat related to the Q5.

It's more than somewhat. The entire chassis and engine is basically a Q5. All that's different is the transmission, skin and AWD programming (90% rear bias). Oh yeah and factory launch control. [Yes, there's actually more that's different but that's the cliff notes].

It really should just have Audi badges and a "tuned by Porsche" emblem somewhere like lotus used to do.

Edit: I should see what it would cost to make some "tuned" by Porsche badges.... I've also gotten the evil eye twice for calling the car an Audi in front of Porsche employees.

Edit 2: I kinda sounds like an rear end. Sorry.
The car is awesome. Best of both worlds, cheaper consumables since there's no Porsche tax and we get to make all the Porsche purists mad.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 10, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scuz posted:

Purrs like a kitten now, it HAD been roaring like a crazy dragster (video proof.)

I'm loving the dashboard repair...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Elsa posted:

This makes me want to relocate the battery into the spare tire sump reallly bad

Theres NOTHING out the front of this car thats light.

Batteries- 30kg x 2
Engine, dressed - 350kg,
Front diff- 50kg
Bullbar - 55kg
Winch- 40kg

Which is fine, its all offset with quarter of a tonne of fuel and water all behind the B pillar and a 100kg rear wheel carrier and twin spares beyond the tailgate

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Ferremit posted:

Theres NOTHING out the front of this car thats light.

Batteries- 30kg x 2

holy crap there's one battery behind each headlight

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

McTinkerson posted:

It's more than somewhat. The entire chassis and engine is basically a Q5. All that's different is the transmission, skin and AWD programming (90% rear bias). Oh yeah and factory launch control. [Yes, there's actually more that's different but that's the cliff notes].

It really should just have Audi badges and a "tuned by Porsche" emblem somewhere like lotus used to do.

Edit: I should see what it would cost to make some "tuned" by Porsche badges.... I've also gotten the evil eye twice for calling the car an Audi in front of Porsche employees.

Edit 2: I kinda sounds like an rear end. Sorry.
The car is awesome. Best of both worlds, cheaper consumables since there's no Porsche tax and we get to make all the Porsche purists mad.

To be extra pedantic you can call Audis and VWs Porsches since they're all owned by Porsche Holding. Did you try out the new SQ5 when cross shopping? I was curious how well they hold up against Macans because the old one was a a rocketship with the 3.0SC engine but the chassis tuning was waaaay undermatched for the power. My wife just had the 30k mile service on her 16 S and it's been the most well-rounded car we've owned since it's a great DD plus the PASM/air susp/18-way sport seats make for an amazing road trip machine.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Began restoring my dad's old 2000 Ford F-150 this past weekend. Only 91k on it, but it's been sitting for a couple years. Replaced the fuel pump and battery and it was up and running again. Ran it around the block a couple times and parked it, then it promptly started leaking something (brake fluid I think). Opened the gas tank cover and found a paper wasp starting a nest as well. I'm sure it needs new spark plugs for preventative maintenance, but apparently there's horror stories of the plugs breaking off in the engine, which I'm not looking forward to.

God knows what else is lurking in terms of repairs on a truck that's almost 17 years old. I'm sure the inspection will turn up other stuff. Looking forward to using it though, the 5.4L V8 makes for a very peppy truck. It'll be nice not having to rent or borrow somebody's truck to haul stuff. Probably better in the snow than my Charger would be as well.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 10, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm loving the dashboard repair...
:buddy: My friend and I did the radio install and neither of us cared about NOT cutting the dashboard apart.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Jymmybob posted:

I know what it is but the post said Audi which is why I questioned it.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I finally drove her home after her extended body shop vacation.

Swapped to small bumpers/valences/etc, notched front fenders for stone guard, fixed damage from the rear end in a top hat running into me. Taken down to bare metal and painted back up. Fixed up a couple dents and a very small patch of rust in the driver's side rear quarter panel. I'll have some more shine picturesd in the detail thread after I give her the 'ol once over.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

IronDoge posted:

Began restoring my dad's old 2000 Ford F-150 this past weekend. Only 91k on it, but it's been sitting for a couple years. Replaced the fuel pump and battery and it was up and running again. Ran it around the block a couple times and parked it, then it promptly started leaking something (brake fluid I think). Opened the gas tank cover and found a paper wasp starting a nest as well. I'm sure it needs new spark plugs for preventative maintenance, but apparently there's horror stories of the plugs breaking off in the engine, which I'm not looking forward to.

God knows what else is lurking in terms of repairs on a truck that's almost 17 years old. I'm sure the inspection will turn up other stuff. Looking forward to using it though, the 5.4L V8 makes for a very peppy truck. It'll be nice not having to rent or borrow somebody's truck to haul stuff. Probably better in the snow than my Charger would be as well.

You can relax. That generation of 5.4 2v is known for spark plugs ejecting on their own and the holes stripping out. Its the 5.4l 3v thats known for the plugs that break off.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I know what it is but the post said Audi which is why I questioned it.

I didn't read the post carefully enough to even notice that until later :v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It was a very poorly placed joke. Sorry.

To answer the question on SQ5 comparison. The Macans interior, full drivetrain and handling is noticably better across the board for in Canada at least, works out to less coin.

Edit: Phone posting

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Spent the last 5 days putting a bigger turbo in it.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 11, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IronDoge posted:

Stepdad has an 01 F-150 with the same engine. Yeah, it's got a decent bit of pep for something so big. The plugs came out pretty easily at 110k too.

But it's absolutely horrible in snow. And eats transmissions for breakfast if you don't stay on top of fluid changes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

scuz posted:

RIP Muscle Van:

This bit had come loose on the muffler. I didn't find a replacement for less than $150, so I bought $5 of 8ga copper wire:

I have a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler I would give you if you were withing throwing distance of Dallas. I put the other of the pair on a friend's truck, so it's all alone. the single Flowmaster i'm keeping or something special. I don't know what that is, but I found the muffler in a parking lot, so it deserves a special ride. I was going to put it on my Cherokee, but i sold it before I got around to it.

H2SO4 posted:

I finally drove her home after her extended body shop vacation.

Swapped to small bumpers/valences/etc, notched front fenders for stone guard, fixed damage from the rear end in a top hat running into me. Taken down to bare metal and painted back up. Fixed up a couple dents and a very small patch of rust in the driver's side rear quarter panel. I'll have some more shine picturesd in the detail thread after I give her the 'ol once over.

That looks awesome. So much nicer with the small bumpers. I've always had a soft spot for 2-door Mavs, and Comets, even.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Noticed a noise from the rear of my van that changed after a short trip so I stopped driving it. Put it up in the air, took off the rear right wheel to discover the castle nut that holds the wheel drum on was spinning freely (!) and the drum itself was moving slightly. Luckily Honda saw fit to put a cotter pin through the nut and the spindle itself and I was cool and rad and replaced it with a new one while doing the brakes before. It didn't move much, but it would have spun right off in short order and taking my wheel with it as the studs are mounted to the drum.
Near as I can tell I had used a puller that pushed the axle slightly when I had replaced the drums a couple months ago and must have not tightened it back into the wheel plate all the way. So months later it pushes itself back into the plate, pushing the nut with it and slightly popping it off the plate letting it spin freely. All buttoned up now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A lot of those you have to use a punch to dimple the nut to resist it backing off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Larrymer posted:

A lot of those you have to use a punch to dimple the nut to resist it backing off.

Not on an Acty, just a fat nut with a cotter pin through it torqued down to 20kg.m. The other rear wheel was still torqued down just fine but that side didn't have its axle pushed in leading me to blame that for why it backed off some three months after I replaced the drums.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got tired of P0496 and a flooded engine every time I filled up. Ordered a new evap purge solenoid.

Looks really easy to replace, it sits on top of the engine. And it's cheap enough that if it winds up not being the problem, meh. Though I'm pretty sure it is the problem, I can't think of anything else that would flood the poo poo out of the engine every time I fill up.

e: handed someone $100 to swap the compressor and serpentine belt a couple of hours ago. I have glorious functional ac for the first time in 2 months.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PRAISE BE TO THE AIR CONDITIONED GODS

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You ain't kiddin. It feels so weird being comfortable while driving again.

Now I just need to break the habit of rolling down the windows the moment I get in the car. :argh: I've managed to wear out the switch for the drivers door window, I have to smack the poo poo out of it repeatedly to roll the window up.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I need to get the Maverick's AC working, which is gonna be a pain in the rear end. I guess I could try finding some R12 to fill the existing system before going full on 134a conversion, but I don't know a drat thing about making sure oil/etc is good in there so there's a good chance i'll grenade the compressor. The vintage car shop I usually use doesn't touch R-12 systems, they just install Vintage Air kits.

On topic: oil analysis is pretty fuckin dope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

PRAISE BE TO THE AIR CONDITIONED GODS

H2SO4 posted:

I need to get the Maverick's AC working, which is gonna be a pain in the rear end. I guess I could try finding some R12 to fill the existing system before going full on 134a conversion, but I don't know a drat thing about making sure oil/etc is good in there so there's a good chance i'll grenade the compressor. The vintage car shop I usually use doesn't touch R-12 systems, they just install Vintage Air kits.

R-152 (air dusters) are your friend.
https://www.rx7club.com/1st-gen-archive-71/c-charging-easy-cheap-safe-alternative-refrigerant-997918/

I currently have R-152 in my '90 RX-7, and it's in the Cherokee I sold to a friend. It's working *really* well in the Cherokee, since it was originally R-134a and has enough condenser capacity. It's adequate in the RX-7 - they were marginal with R-12, and dismal when converted to R-134.
My Cutlass has FR-12 "Envirosafe" (R-143a and Propane/butane) in it because that was what worked when I put it in. R-152 was not available at the time, and the pressures need to be close to R-12 to work with the style of regulation it has. No, I don't want to spend $150 to replace the working POA valve with a compressor cycling switch. It currently won't shift out of first gear, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, yesterday I finally get around to replacing the tensioner pulley on the Crown Vic. I previously determined that it wasn't the idler pulley, by replacing that and still having a squeak. I'd atempted to replace the tensioner pulley already, but Gates are dumb, and didn't pay attention to the design when listing their part for the Crown Vic/Ford 4.6L:

That wide tapered dish is important because of:

And it can't be install backwards because the bearing is not centered. The other side of the pulley (side against the workbench on the mounted unit) faces the timing chain cover, and will rub. Note the witness marks on the Gates pulley (unmounted). I know this from experience.

gently caress you, squeaky bearing:

gently caress you, wrong pulley:

So what to do? The previous pic is a clue. Turns out both old and new pulley have the same bearing:

With the help of my bench vise and a large socket (I haven't retrieved my hydraulic press yet):

New bearing, old pulley:

Reinstalled, and... there was still a squeak. It's the alternator. :doh:

I bought a pair of NTN 6303LU bearings for the front bearing application in the alternator on eBay for $7. The rear bearing is different, and pressed on the shaft and into the case, so hopefully I won't have to replace that one.