Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I think NPR's old line is actually fairly applicable here: consider how much you'd be happy and willing to pay for the artist's work if they weren't already giving it away for free and donate that amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

hooah posted:

You could see if the place you got yours will connect you to the manufacturer. I know Westone makes custom-molded earplugs, but I'm not sure how universal the filters are.

That's actually who made mine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

I've used both miranda and digsby in the past. Not sure what their current states are.

Miranda is still around and pretty decent, digsby has been dead for a few years.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Does anyone know where I can find the comic strip where it's a bunch of guys talking about like SA Jeans and someone says "They're chafing." I think it was written by a guy who got kicked of the forums and was mad about it?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
When I hang upside down, the blood rushes to my head and it sucks. Why doesn't that happen for bats and bugs?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DavidAlltheTime posted:

When I hang upside down, the blood rushes to my head and it sucks. Why doesn't that happen for bats and bugs?

It does. Bats have one way valves in their arteries that prevent it from building up. Giraffes have similar valves that stop blood from falling down their neck arteries with gravity.

Insects don't have veins, they have open circulatory systems with a central heart and also their blood is pumped around by muscle movement and additional organs at the base of their legs and antennae

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why are squirrels so stupid in the presence of a moving car? What instinct makes them turn around at the last second and get smashed after they have escaped? I can't think of any other animal that does this.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Have you met rabbits, or deer

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Why are squirrels so stupid in the presence of a moving car? What instinct makes them turn around at the last second and get smashed after they have escaped? I can't think of any other animal that does this.

My theory is that woodland animals just can't grasp how fast cars go. Deer habitually wait by the side of the road and then leap directly in front of cars for example. They just haven't evolved the sense to judge the speed of something orders of magnitude faster than their usual predators.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tad Naff posted:

Have you met rabbits, or deer

In my experience rabbits keep running. Deer are pretty dumb though. not squirrel dumb, but they are probably second place.

syscall girl posted:

My theory is that woodland animals just can't grasp how fast cars go. Deer habitually wait by the side of the road and then leap directly in front of cars for example. They just haven't evolved the sense to judge the speed of something orders of magnitude faster than their usual predators.

Good enough for me. I certainly don't have a better explanation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone once told me (could be purestrain bullshit but they were a professor of paleontology so I'm inclined to believe them) that kangaroos evolved concurrently with a large predator that attacked them from the side. Which means when they see (big scary thing), they're hardwired to jump in front of it because they won't get taken down that way. This works fine on a lion-sized thylacine or whatever, less so on a Landcruiser with a bullbar.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a thread that is best to ask about password managers? I'm currently using KeePass on Windows and iOS but I'm thinking of moving to 1Pass.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a thread that is best to ask about password managers? I'm currently using KeePass on Windows and iOS but I'm thinking of moving to 1Pass.

Try here.

(I'd recommend continuing to use Keep rear end but that's me)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

Try here.

(I'd recommend continuing to use Keep rear end but that's me)

Thanks I'll ask there.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

veni veni veni posted:

Humans get hit by trains. Why judge squirrels so harshly?

I think the squirrel believes the car is trying to eat them, and changing direction at the last minute is a good way to escape the larger creature with more momentum. Rabbits juke my dog successfully because he can't turn as quickly.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

veni veni veni posted:

Squirrels react to cars as if the car was a predator. The study of predator evasion techniques is very interesting. Many (most?) prey have evolved to evade through a quick burst at an angle perpendicular to the predator's vector. Since almost always a predator will be faster than the prey, the prey relies on its ability to change direction quickly to evade, thus the first burst perpendicular to the threat's vector like so:

(The predator is at 0°, and is moving from bottom to top.)

Edit: didn't answer your question. The squirrel runs in front of a car when it misjudges the speed of a car. It is simply trying to move at a 90° angle to the path of the car.

More:
http://ir.library.louisville.edu/honors/37/
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/214/15/2463.full
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/214/15/2474.long

dokmo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just moved into a furnished apartment and the bed I sleep on is composed of two mattresses instead of one. So sometimes the bed get split open in the middle. What would be the best method of making sure this doesn't happen besides buying a new mattress? Tie down straps?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Look for a thing called a "bed bridge" or a "bed doubler". Latching strap with a little wedge thing that fills the gap between the two mattresses.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

photomikey posted:

Look for a thing called a "bed bridge" or a "bed doubler". Latching strap with a little wedge thing that fills the gap between the two mattresses.

https://www.amazon.com/Create-King-Instant-Connector-2-Inch/dp/B00438S56Q

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My printer (HP Officejet 4630), which has printed maybe 10 pages total, is printing with streaks. I am testing with a 1-page flyer with text and graphics.

I used the packaged toolbox software to complete all of the device services;

1. Print Quality Diagnostics Page
2. Align Ink Cartridges
3. Clean Ink Cartridges
4. Clean Printer

No solution.

I also tried setting the default printing mode to high quality, but this made it worse (streaking was consistent but then the colors were off).

Recommended next steps?

I do a fair bit of graphic work so it needs to be clean.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My printer (HP Officejet 4630)...

I do a fair bit of graphic work so it needs to be clean.
Spend more than $100 on your printer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So,this latest Donald Trump Russia thing... How is being told something by Russians treason or collusion or whatever? What is the actual issue here?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tiggum posted:

So,this latest Donald Trump Russia thing... How is being told something by Russians treason or collusion or whatever? What is the actual issue here?

The issue is the those that want Trump gone will try anything they can to see that happen.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I'm not American but as far as I'm aware it's (a) they were obtaining the information by hacking American stuff and (b) the emails heavily imply that this was only one facet of what Russia as a state was doing to support Trump.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm not American but as far as I'm aware it's (a) they were obtaining the information by hacking American stuff and (b) the emails heavily imply that this was only one facet of what Russia as a state was doing to support Trump.

Yeah, I get why people don't like what the Russians did, but what did the Trump people do that's bad? Like, Russians told them some stuff they could use to win the election and they were supposed to... not try to win the election?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I get why people don't like what the Russians did, but what did the Trump people do that's bad? Like, Russians told them some stuff they could use to win the election and they were supposed to... not try to win the election?
Yes, it's illegal to accept aid from foreign entities that helps you win an election. Possibly you don't care about that law, or think it's dumb, but it exists.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
Is there a good replacement for Itunes - podcasts specifically? I keep having this issue where I will be streaming a podcast and it will just randomly disconnect and connect to a different podcast & it's driving me crazy. PC if it matters.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Yes, it's illegal to accept aid from foreign entities that helps you win an election. Possibly you don't care about that law, or think it's dumb, but it exists.
Listen, it's just a little light treason. I don't see what the big deal is.

Honestly, part of the big deal here is the cover-up, where the Trump administration continues to deny any contacts or collusion with the Russians, and yet more and more instances of contacts and attempted collusion with the Russians keep surfacing. Part of it is politics in that the Democrats want to use it to hurt the Trump administration, but there's an awful lot of IOIYAR (It's Okay If You're A Republican) here, too; if this were the Obama administration, the Republican Congressional delegation would be at the doors of the White House with pitchforks and torches. But no one is really afraid of the Democrats.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
I'm looking for recommendations on vodka. It is a gift for someone who knows a bit about vodka and tends to steer away from mass produced stuff. I'm willing to spend up to about $100 AUD for something nice.

If there is a better place for me to post this, just let me know.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I like vodka and think "all vodka tastes the same" isn't true but honestly, going beyond the usual top-shelf stuff (eg russkii standart) seems like mad vanity. I guess Russkii Standart Imperial is a luxury brand that you can trust to be good

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Beyond Satire posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on vodka. It is a gift for someone who knows a bit about vodka and tends to steer away from mass produced stuff. I'm willing to spend up to about $100 AUD for something nice.

I personally think there should also be a law against spending that much on vodka, but if it has to be vodka maybe try a barrel aged one? I'm honestly just guessing.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/vodka/windspiel/windspiel-barrel-aged-potato-vodka/
edit:
Or a milk vodka!?
https://www.masterofmalt.com/vodka/black-cow/black-cow-pure-milk-vodka/?recommended_by=53493

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 13, 2017

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Beyond Satire posted:

You could see if you have a locally produced vodka in the area. That could be a cool gift.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I had a vodka aged in a whiskey barrel and it was decent for something different to drink straight up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twodot posted:

So what counts as accepting aid? Can any foreigner derail an American election by just telling a candidate something about their opponent?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

So what counts as accepting aid? Can any foreigner derail an American election by just telling a candidate something about their opponent?

You can't really define what "accepting aid" is and that's why we have a legal system (not that trump or any of his moron family members will ever face any real legal consequences for being poo poo-for-brains political actors). However, in the court of public opinion, DJT jr's documented and published response of "if this is what you say it is then I love it" is pretty unequivocally "accepting aid." Now take this to D&D because you'd have to be willingly obtuse to continue this line of questioning.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

From what I've read and heard, aid is basically shorthand for "money." Damaging information about an opponent can theoretically be called opposition research, and opposition research is a product that exists in the world with real dollar amounts attached to it. The argument being made is that Don Jr., in his capacity as a member of Trump's campaign, knowingly attended a meeting where an official for a foreign adversarial government was offering him opposition research on a candidate. Of course he claims that the person wasn't a representative of the government, nor did they give him any opposition research (which is what makes this such a cloudy issue) but the fact remains that he went to the meeting believing otherwise. Whether or not any of that was actually illegal is up to the courts to decide, as Lawnie suggests.

Of course with the current makeup of the House, nothing will ever happen short a video surfacing of Trump literally shaking hands with Putin while saying, "let's overthrow American democracy," while simultaneously shooting a bald eagle with a crossbow.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tiggum posted:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

quote:

(b)Contributions and donations by foreign nationals in connection with elections. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election.
[...]
(g)Solicitation, acceptance, or receipt of contributions and donations from foreign nationals. No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 13, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The intent of the law is to prevent the candidate from being indebted to another country or even appearing to be so. Remember the US used to be a colony.

The furor over Trump's connections to Russia is a pretty good example of why accepting foreign aid is a bad idea, it's arguably contributed to his administration being hamstrung by opposition to, well, everything. Regardless of your view on Trump's politics, a government that is mistrusted by half the country is A Bad Thing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What do you call printer paper that has tracks of holes punched in the sides for the printer to grab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What do you call printer paper that has tracks of holes punched in the sides for the printer to grab?
Feed paper?
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/continuous-feed-computer-paper/N=5+549818/