Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I forgot to pull the video but I came across two different wrong ways at the end of last week. Both old people driving the standard "gold" Grand Marquis. The first one might have been a spin out that just ended up the wrong way (cops were on site, facing the correct direction, and looking bored), but the second one was definitely someone coming up the offramp from I-80EB to OH-10.

On the plus side that second one seemed to have realized their mistake, they had their turn signal on and were pulling on to the gore area to get going the right direction as I passed.

We really need regular re-testing, especially with olds but I think it should be for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Honestly, some of the ramp designs I've seen (e.g. off and on ramps that share a paved segment and are only separated by a small median) seem to be a deliberate attempt to confuse an unfamiliar driver into turning into the wrong lane.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

totalnewbie posted:

Honestly, some of the ramp designs I've seen (e.g. off and on ramps that share a paved segment and are only separated by a small median) seem to be a deliberate attempt to confuse an unfamiliar driver into turning into the wrong lane.

In this case they were coming from a toll booth and there's a concrete curb-style divider in the median, but from my old Crown Vic days I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out they drove right over the median. I used to drive over a curb separating my dorm lot from the Taco Bell lot all the time and that car took it like a champ, so I could certainly see a person with reduced reaction times in a couchmobile bumping over the median and not really realizing what had happened.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Acky posted:

Older lady gets "lost" and enters the rotary the wrong way. Honked at her the first time I passed her and was still oblivious, and didnt stop. Sadly I just replaced my old dash cam and forgot to turn audio on :(.
https://youtu.be/vlJsRc7_mjs

Hey another Mainer! For some reason that circle has a lot more problems than the Cony circle, probably because it's so big and has bushes all through the middle of it, you can't see over it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

"On Your Side," indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO-2BsHEKhc

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I like to think the AAAAAAA at the bottom of the video is your car screaming.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Dallas really is the worst city for failing to yield, and yet they won't quit building more suicide merges :argh: They just opened a new path from 30 east to Woodall Rodgers that has one and there isn't even any signage with it, everybody just mentally flips a coin to decide who goes first.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Wait, am I seeing that right? Do both sides have 'Yield' signs??

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's just on both sides of the road. The small sign underneath indicates which side has to yield - "To ramp"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cugel the Clever posted:

DFW likes to throw signs up for people to ignore. But no, it's for the access road traffic. TX law states all access road traffic must yield to traffic exiting the highway, but nobody ever does. The ones that do yield often wind up getting rear ended.

Takes No Damage posted:

Dallas really is the worst city for failing to yield, and yet they won't quit building more suicide merges :argh: They just opened a new path from 30 east to Woodall Rodgers that has one and there isn't even any signage with it, everybody just mentally flips a coin to decide who goes first.

I loving hate Woodall. :argh: And 30.. and 35E.. and 75... and especially 635. Ah gently caress it, I hate every highway out here.

I had to drive from Denton to SE Garland the other day. Google Maps showed 35E being 45 minutes longer vs taking 2499 from Denton to 635. And you don't dare speed on 2499 (north of Grapevine anyway), it's cop central.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The crash is pretty horrific, but the dash cam footage is simply incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCqYsR_2wI

(from the China thread in GBS)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

This is almost always due to right of way. Sometimes it just isn’t there but mainly cities / dot don’t want to pay extra and just squeeze whatever ramps they can where they can.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The crash is pretty horrific, but the dash cam footage is simply incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCqYsR_2wI

(from the China thread in GBS)

:stare:

Pretty sure whatever was on the inside of that vehicle under the front of the bus is dead now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For regular driving to protect my Prius from drunk idiots on weekends, I assume the A119 V2 is my best bet. Is the GPS worth the extra $10? What about the circular polarization filter? Seems like the adhesive filters on Ebay for $8 should be okay.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 11, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Josh Lyman posted:

For regular driving to protect my Prius from drunk idiots on weekends, I assume the A119 V2 is my best bet. Is the GPS worth the extra $10? What about the circular polarization filter? Seems like the adhesive filters on Ebay for $8 should be okay.

Don't get a GPS unless you want an insurance company asking why you were doing 2mph over the limit when someone ran a light in front of you.
GPS speed sensors are a bad idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CPL filter is always a good idea when you're putting a lens behind a window. Really cuts down on glare, though you'll need to rotate the filter until you find the sweet spot.

And yeah... what nm said.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Locator posted:

:stare:

Pretty sure whatever was on the inside of that vehicle under the front of the bus is dead now.

Yes, but did you note the stability and quality of the image :buddy:

Where do you even buy a dash cam that good?

\/\/ It looks better than 95% of the dashcam footage I've ever watched :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 11, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, but did you note the stability and quality of the image :buddy:

Where do you even buy a dash cam that good?
That's actually turbo garbage image quality. :colbert:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm looking for a dashcam but finding it hard to find one with what I want for around >$100. It's my first so want to keep it reasonably priced. The features I definitely want are WiFi, decent video quality for a dash cam, has a capacitor, and be able to use in extreme temps. It got to 110+ here in the last week. I prefer discrete but it's not a must like the others. Anything for that price point or is it a pipe dream?

If I can't buy one at that price point what is good one with the features I want?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Why do you want wifi?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mainly ease of use if I want to view footage right after something happens and everyone is not watching me grab my dashcam. I'm probably overthinking this since I do that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I kinda wish there was a dashcam that would connect to the wifi when I get home and upload everything to my fileserver :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I kinda wish there was a dashcam that would connect to the wifi when I get home and upload everything to my fileserver :v:

You mean that there are dashcams with wifi and that’s not what they use it for? :psyduck:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Things get a lot easier if you drop the wifi requirement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just ordered an A119 from an AliExpress type website. The GPS version was only $5 more, so I could use that for long road trips but use the regular non-GPS mount for normal city driving.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

`Nemesis posted:

Things get a lot easier if you drop the wifi requirement.

If I drop it is the recommendation the A119? I was looking at that or the WR1.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
A119C I think. Capacitor version since you're in hot weather. I've had the 118C in my car for a couple years now. I replaced the sticky tape on the mount once. Other than that it was just plug and play, works great. It's regularly over 100 here all summer long. It was 112 last week. (Los Angeles area)

Hdip fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 12, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

You mean that there are dashcams with wifi and that’s not what they use it for? :psyduck:

Every one I've seen with wifi on Techmoan's channel just seems to use it to connect to a smartphone app, along the lines of a Gopro or drone wifi. It acts as an AP, not as a client.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every one I've seen with wifi on Techmoan's channel just seems to use it to connect to a smartphone app, along the lines of a Gopro or drone wifi. It acts as an AP, not as a client.

I assumed they worked like wifi SD/CF cards of years past.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Just ordered an A119 from an AliExpress type website. The GPS version was only $5 more, so I could use that for long road trips but use the regular non-GPS mount for normal city driving.
Please stop buying GPS dashcams
--A lawyer (unless you're suing my client, then please keep buying them)

It serves precisely no purpose other than to gently caress you over. Also, the first question I'm asking when you turned the speed off on your GPS enabled dash cam is "why?" (Because you're a loving speeder and reckless driver! Who else would turn it off?)

Any major speed differences are going to be able to be determined by the video (not going to be able to say you were doing 100 in a 55) through basic forensics. OTO, what GPS dashcams are great for is showing that you were doing 5 over the limit (or that is what it says because these things suck) and the other party's insurance wants 50-50 liability now. The speed might not even be admissible in court, but the reason you buy a dashcam is to stay the gently caress out of court.

----

Re: wifi. I have wifi on my bike "dash cam" and 9 times out of 10, it is easier to take the micro-SD card out and plug it into something. I have used it to show a cop something, but it was a minor benefit.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 12, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I THOUGHT WIFI CONNECTED TO AN AP AND UPLOADED VIDEO

WHY IS THAT NOT THE MAIN loving FEATURE

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just installed an A119S v2 and it's pretty nice coming from a mini 0803 in terms of form factor and UI/quality.

It's stealth as gently caress but for whatever reason the sharpening is cranked to 11 with no way to change it.

I did a preview video of my keyboard at work which is black with white lettering and the lettering appears as black with a white outline :stare:

Video wise when used for its purpose it's ok but the sharpness definitely reduces the quality a bit for zero real advantage. Initially I figured it would make plates easier to read but that isn't true.

They seem frequent with updates to the firmware so I'm not too worried. Maybe I should try a downgrade to see if that improves it at all

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I THOUGHT WIFI CONNECTED TO AN AP AND UPLOADED VIDEO

WHY IS THAT NOT THE MAIN loving FEATURE

I suppose it is theoretically possible that if you had a wifi AP in your garage and you added an always-on feed to your camera, it would be possible to do this (32GB takes 1.5hrs over a good wifi connection)

You'd end up with terabytes of your commute filling up your home PC though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

spog posted:

I suppose it is theoretically possible that if you had a wifi AP in your garage and you added an always-on feed to your camera, it would be possible to do this (32GB takes 1.5hrs over a good wifi connection)

A good wifi connection is 48 Mbps? 🤔

Ditch your WRT54g and get something with 802.11ac.

e: Dropped a factor of eight.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 12, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

A good wifi connection is 6 Mbps? 🤔

Ditch your WRT54g and get something with 802.11ac.

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do - have a play with the numbers, but you aren't going to dump an entire card in a hurry.

Also, I am jealous if you have wifi in your garage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A wifi extender is magic. I've got one in my garage. Gives me wifi in the car parked out front, and a wired AP for the security system.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, I have a ton of experience with streaming multimedia and product building.

Is a wifi enabled dashcam that can connect to a remote point in the car and save files there something people would really want?
I could literally make that product from start to finish and sell it in ~6 months.

*edit* I could even add RTSP if that's something people would find useful.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Is a wifi enabled dashcam that can connect to a remote point in the car and save files there something people would really want?
I could literally make that product from start to finish and sell it in ~6 months.

If you could make it so that if you press a button on the dashcam and it posts the last 30seconds straight to Facebook/Twitter along with an emoji, then i would probably invest in your company with my life savings.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

quote:

dashcams w/wifi upload

The tech was definitely out there even 8 years ago, but the only cams I know that do it were designed for fleet applications and likely cost $500/unit. However, chump change compared to defending/paying out on a lawsuit as a commercial operator.

The cam would record events triggered either by a G-sensor or a big red button on the side, and the saved clips would automatically upload and wipe from the cam when it connected to wifi in the garage. Might be overkill for the home user, but worked well for a company with 120 vehicles spread over 5 bases and one safety officer to review the event clips. Would have been impossible for the safety officer to jump in and swap out SD cards every night, and half the point of the cam is that the driver doesn't have access to the recorded media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ratbert90 posted:

I've been playing with a DIY dashcam build on a Pi Zero W that does exactly this. It doesn't offload the entire card of course, just the flagged recordings. Right now I just have it doing so over SMB when I get home, but a long-term goal is to build a basic web service that'll let it submit video remotely either through open WiFi or tethering for those of us who use it.

Cooling the Pi in a black car has proven to be complicated, and I need to use something better than PLA for the cases for basically the same reason.

I'd be all over a decent camera that had WiFi client mode support and could use some kind of standard file transfer protocol to automatically transfer flagged recordings to my personal server when it sees a valid AP. Bonus points for supporting multiple SSIDs. Keep AP mode for local smartphone control/streaming support. Some kind of synchronization interface to allow multiple cameras to turn on/off and flag recordings simultaneously would probably be nice.