Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sinestro posted:

The issue with IF as implemented in Zen 1 is that the memory controller also handles generating the clock for the bus, and that clock is at the same rate as the one that goes out to the DDR4 PHY. So in the most pessimistic case of DDR4-2133, it's limited to just 68GB/s, and in the perfect case of DDR4-3200 you're still only getting 102GB/s. Hopefully future revisions will fix that... frankly inexplicable design choice.

Probably was this works and we can put it out without delays or costing us too much just make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wargames posted:

Probably was this works and we can put it out without delays or costing us too much just make it happen.

That and an async clockgen for it would complicate the poo poo out of a lot of things, complications they desperately were trying to avoid at all costs. Now that Zen1 is the poo poo, they can work on teasing out all that performance they left on the table, you know, the stuff in the big box labeled 'untested, do not touch'.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry

L33t_Kefka fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Yeah, I greatly overstated it, because there is an obvious explanation that, indeed, it does work well enough and doesn't involve anything with asynchronous clock domains or any such dark wizardry that would be hell to deal with. I'm not an expert on actual hardware implementation by any means but I know enough that it'd be a nightmare. I don't think that having it run at the full 8 GT/s would be feasible at all and definitely wouldn't be worth the effort when they're trying to get Zen 1 out the door, but it wouldn't have been that hard with a multi-master bus to run it at double the RAM speed, kept in phase, which would double the inter-core bandwidth.

It wouldn't be an unimaginable surprise if something like that happened even with the same silicon on the MCM parts, because trying to have 32 cores squabbling over what in the case of a server is almost certainly 68GB/s bandwidth doesn't seem like it's a recipe for success.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm assuming that a R7 1700 for $269.99 is a good deal?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SourKraut posted:

I'm assuming that a R7 1700 for $269.99 is a good deal?

I mean, it's pretty loving unbeatable TBH, it's only like 10% slower to a 7700k max clock to max clock in gaming but it'll curbstomp it in productivity, and for productivity the R5's are a noticeable step down.

If you are interested exclusively in gaming, 7700k still has better performance, R5 1600 is the better price/perf buy.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

I mean, it's pretty loving unbeatable TBH, it's only like 10% slower to a 7700k max clock to max clock in gaming but it'll curbstomp it in productivity, and for productivity the R5's are a noticeable step down.

If you are interested exclusively in gaming, 7700k still has better performance, R5 1600 is the better price/perf buy.

1600 is not better better price/perf if you can snag a 1700 for 269.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

wargames posted:

1600 is not better better price/perf if you can snag a 1700 for 269.

From the benchmarks I've seen for gaming, the 6 core and 8 core Ryzens exist within margin of error of each other and the 1600 currently is going for 199$, that's a 70$ difference you could throw around elsewhere.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor - 299 on amazon prime day. It looks to be the lowest ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

incoherent posted:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor - 299 on amazon prime day. It looks to be the lowest ever.

Fuuuuuck. That's really good.

It's too bad I just bought a new car :sigh:

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
edit, wrong thread

inkwell fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 11, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

inkwell posted:

look what i found in my local craigslist. 200 dollar 8 gig rx480

Also have 4gb and 8gb Sapphire Nitro+ ogcl rx480's. One of each. Both tested minor use while waiting for a new card to come back from rma but nothing more seriousn than Just Cause 3 or CounterStrike. Less than 10 hrs of powered on time. $160 for the 4gb, just sold another 8gb for $220, so $220 obo (id take 200)

rx480s are infamous mining cards fwiw.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6mndgu/sizing_up_servers_intels_skylakesp_xeon_versus/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

TL;DR AMD's EPYC can struggle with very small database functions compared to Skylake-SP, and lags behind in a few instances while taking the lead in others, costs half as much and runs under it's listed TDP. This test suite was comparing the 7601 from AMD and the 8176 from Intel.

I'm going to go with "it'd be really hard for me to be convinced to buy Intel" for 4200$ Alex.

quote:

However AMD's newest core is a formidable opponent. Scalar floating point operations are clearly faster on the AMD core, and integer performance is – at the same clock – on par with Intel's best.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 12, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6mndgu/sizing_up_servers_intels_skylakesp_xeon_versus/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

TL;DR AMD's EPYC can struggle with very small database functions compared to Skylake-SP, and lags behind in a few instances while taking the lead in others, costs half as much and runs under it's listed TDP. This test suite was comparing the 7601 from AMD and the 8176 from Intel.

I'm going to go with "it'd be really hard for me to be convinced to buy Intel" for 4200$ Alex.

"The poor showing in the database test is actually due to NUMA latency, because AnandTech conducted this test in a manner that specifically presents the worst possible case for Epyc and is not even remotely representative of an actual database server"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Scarecow posted:

"The poor showing in the database test is actually due to NUMA latency, because AnandTech conducted this test in a manner that specifically presents the worst possible case for Epyc and is not even remotely representative of an actual database server"

Yeah, apparently the database test was designed to fit in L3? It completely eliminated EPYC's memory bandwidth advantage, but it should be representative of peak performance, no?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No as soon as it gets over a few meg it switches back to epycs favor (and what data base these days is only a few meg and can dit into l3 cache?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

incoherent posted:

This is the same price its been at Microcenter for a while. Plus they kick in a $50 motherboard credit. Thats if you have a local microcenter though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

This is the same price its been at Microcenter for a while. Plus they kick in a $50 motherboard credit. Thats if you have a local microcenter though.

Do they still? It's not showing on my local Microcenter anymore. I thought they rolled back some (perhaps all?) of the discounts.

I'm actually really tempted to do a Ryzen build for a work/occasional gaming PC for my fiance and I was disappointed to see it gone.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do they still? It's not showing on my local Microcenter anymore. I thought they rolled back some (perhaps all?) of the discounts.

I'm actually really tempted to do a Ryzen build for a work/occasional gaming PC for my fiance and I was disappointed to see it gone.

Still showing as available at $299 with the $50 motherboard kickback at the Microcenter in the LA area, with a couple board choices in stock. Dunno if thats around anywhere else though. Kinda kicking myself for not getting one when it was $299+$100 kickback a few weeks ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Still showing as available at $299 with the $50 motherboard kickback at the Microcenter in the LA area, with a couple board choices in stock. Dunno if thats around anywhere else though. Kinda kicking myself for not getting one when it was $299+$100 kickback a few weeks ago.

It doesn't show but it works when I put it in the cart. Thanks.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The microcenter near me still shows the $50 off on the whole line. I think my base build set me back about $350.

Edit: thats what I get for not refreshing.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW some people were able to sell the 1700 boxed cooler for $40 because it works well on the 1600X and some people like LED backlit AMD logos. :shrug:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm still perplexed on why Cooler Master doesn't sell thier own versions of the AMD stock coolers, each one is pretty drat fantastic and the Wraith Max is not only low profile but pretty drat competitive with good tower coolers. Don't get me wrong, I love my Noctua NH-U14S but a Wraith Max or Spire is going to fit into way more form factors.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It doesn't show but it works when I put it in the cart. Thanks.

What does http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx show you?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to EPOXYC

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That's the most childish bullshit. Really hope the big data centres all tell intel to go gently caress themselves.

eames
May 9, 2009

to be honest i think Intel is becoming really worried because they have no response to Zen+ except for their current CPUs +10% clockspeed +25% power consumption :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

to be honest i think Intel is becoming really worried because they have no response to Zen+ except for their current CPUs +10% clockspeed +25% power consumption :v:

Well, or moderate discounting. That would also solve the problem completely.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Second Sun posted:

That's the most childish bullshit. Really hope the big data centres all tell intel to go gently caress themselves.

lmao gettin worked up about a tiny rear end joke in marketing slides

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Gotta make back all that wasted mobile money

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

That's a lot of notmad TPU. I think X399 shot their dog.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Second Sun posted:

That's the most childish bullshit.

Welcome to sales and marketing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Twerk from Home posted:

Then they'd have to stick to those prices, at least for a time. Intel loves their giant margins.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 12, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Gotta make back all that wasted *every attempt at diversifying the company that isn't storage* money

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Cygni posted:

lmao gettin worked up about a tiny rear end joke in marketing slides

Poor Volta.

eames
May 9, 2009

new price and specs for the glued together HEDT CPUs

Threadripper 1950X 16C/32T 3.4/4.0 Ghz 999 USD
Threadripper 1920X 12C/24T 3.5/4.0 Ghz 799 USD

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-to-cost-999-usd

I'd say 4.0 Ghz on all 16 cores should be possible with good watercooling and decent boards/vrms/heatsink. It's a huge chip and soldered so cooling it should be a lot easier than with SL-X. Intel's 18 core will probably cost $2000 and won't clock a whole lot higher unless they fix the X299 issues (VRMs, TIM, etc). :v:

Man how I wish KVM would fix that NPT issue.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 13, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so when they say turbo to 4ghz would that be XFR? and god drat I want one of them with a good mobo so I can crank all 16 cores to 4ghz :getin:

eames
May 9, 2009

If my little 1700 is any indicator then an underclocked/-volted TR 1950X should run 16 cores at 3.0 Ghz at less than 100W. :popeye:

It's a shame games don't scale well with threads (yet) or that'd be my go-to platform.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Intel's not wrong, all CPUs are just silicon and metal and wood and concrete and plastic and glass that's been glued together, soldered together, bolted together, welded together, screwed together. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/AMD_UK/status/877811134593736704