Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gave the President Show another shot this week, and oof. It's such a mean-spirited show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Watch Colbert tonight.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Why?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

reunion show with jon,sam bee, john oliver, ed helms, and rob cordray

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just watched the Youtube clips and I wonder if they were edited. Helms and Corddry didn't say all that much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 2005 Daily Show bit was alot of fun.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Oh please. Obama literally just finished working to install a new DNC chair who would continue with the same corporatist bullshit and to counter a surge of folks who want that bullshit out of the party. He is not "done" with politics, and even if he wasn't still using his influence everyone knows that payment was for services rendered in making sure Wall Street's interests were looked after (and likely the first of many).

It's also an insultingly low amount of money to sell out for, unless it's just the first of many. Obama is already a millionaire from his book sales and has a pension, in addition to basically spending 0 of his own money over the last 8 years, does he really need more money?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is anyone planning on watching that Jim Jefferies show? I think he's a funny comedian and I loved Legit, but I really think we're reaching the saturation point of "comedian talks about current events" shows, and none of them really bring anything new to the table, so I'll pass.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is anyone planning on watching that Jim Jefferies show? I think he's a funny comedian and I loved Legit, but I really think we're reaching the saturation point of "comedian talks about current events" shows, and none of them really bring anything new to the table, so I'll pass.

It looks better than The President Show, and I already listen to Chapo Trap House, so I'll give it a go. Jim Jeffries is criminally underrated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I also like Jim Jefferies and listen to Chapo, but I don't see how the two are related. When I think of his standup, I sooner think of the story he told about having a sex toy stuck up his rear end than anything political.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
His last special was a lot of talk about American politics and I guess he's continuing with that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GutBomb posted:

His last special was a lot of talk about American politics and I guess he's continuing with that.
These days, comedians who talk about that subject are a dime a dozen. When is the tipping point gonna happen? Comedy always goes in phases, but it feels like the political/social commentary comedy fad we're in is taking forever. While I don't agree with Norm MacDonald when he says that kind of comedy is never funny, it feels like being funny is secondary to making a point.

It's the opposite of over 10 years ago when Comedy Central leaned in hard on shows like Mind of Mencia, The Jeselnik Offensive, and any number of Daniel Tosh shows because they wanted to get that edgy comedy dollar.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The minute Trump is removed from office, we'll breathe easier and laugh at more farts.

Until then, it feels MANDATORY to pay attention and tear apart everything that piece of poo poo does.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

These days, comedians who talk about that subject are a dime a dozen. When is the tipping point gonna happen? Comedy always goes in phases, but it feels like the political/social commentary comedy fad we're in is taking forever. While I don't agree with Norm MacDonald when he says that kind of comedy is never funny, it feels like being funny is secondary to making a point.

It's the opposite of over 10 years ago when Comedy Central leaned in hard on shows like Mind of Mencia, The Jeselnik Offensive, and any number of Daniel Tosh shows because they wanted to get that edgy comedy dollar.

Hey, I'd argue that Norm McDonald is a fuckin' expert on unfunny things :v:

Steve Vader posted:

The minute Trump is removed from office, we'll breathe easier and laugh at more farts.

Until then, it feels MANDATORY to pay attention and tear apart everything that piece of poo poo does.

Also, humour is a good way to address things that are too absurd or troubling to want to address head-on. That's one of the functions of humour.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

Then watch the news. The belief that entertainment, and comedy in particular, has to play to our politics results in crappy new shows on Comedy Central like Problematic.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
If you believe that comedy is a socially-acceptable reinforcement of tribalism, then Trump jokes are going to outlive us all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My problem with the oversaturation of these shows isn't that they have an agenda per se, it's that a lot of them aren't good. I thought Last Week Tonight was funny and had a lot of effort put into it in its first year, but by mid-2015 or so, I felt it got less concerned with being funny than it was with being right. That's when I stopped watching, and from what I've read, it's only gotten worse. As funny as Jim Jefferies can be, I don't see him bucking the trend. TV tastemakers, both the people that make these shows and the critics that seem united in the belief about their "importance," are still wedded to the idea that our entertainers should also be social commentators. And yet, I feel like there's more public disenchantment towards that model than ever before.

It's at the point where I see a short description of an article about the declining relevance of Jimmy Fallon on late night TV, note that it equates that phenomenon with "late night becoming partisan," and start to feel sorry for him. Pity shouldn't be an emotion one feels towards Fallon.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 5, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last Week Tonight is still excellent though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Last Week Tonight is still excellent though.

The main story segment has been pretty devoid of anything resembling comedy for awhile now and has become "hey idiot, here's a thing that sucks about america you should probably already should have known about.".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

The main story segment has been pretty devoid of anything resembling comedy for awhile now and has become "hey idiot, here's a thing that sucks about america you should probably already should have known about.".
Don't forget pop culture references and reminders of what year it is as the only sources of levity. It's good to be informed, but I expect more than that from John Oliver. He hasn't pulled stunts like buying 5 minutes of airtime on Trinidadian TV to talk poo poo about Jack Warner for a couple of years.

At the same time, he's at least putting effort into something, which is more than you can say about every other "comedian acts important" show out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He hasn't pulled stunts like buying 5 minutes of airtime on Trinidadian TV to talk poo poo about Jack Warner for a couple of years.

No, but he's buying catheter ads on Fox News to troll our president.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I've been watching The Daily Show since it's Bush-era heyday. Years and years of great bits many of which did a fantastic job of communicating complex political concepts in a quick and very laymen way. I'm sure a lot of it was edited to make their point not every argument was that well made, but I was always impressed with how they were able to make politics accessible and completely drive a point home.

My step-dad is not a terrible human being. He took in a black kid that wasn't his and outside of being a little neurotic about cleanliness, has always treated me well, certainly better than some other blood-related members of my family. He's also a Republican. But he's not an rear end in a top hat. He doesn't drive a truck that's modified to shoot out huge plums of coal smoke or jack up the AC on Earth Day. In fact he's quite the opposite, he's a health food nut who's even more rabid about recycling than I am and freaks out when anyone leaves the lights on in an empty room or turns on the heat or ac. So I guess in that regard he's more of a business-wing Republican. Anyway, I can tell that he's not unreachable. His primary problem is that he watches way too much fox news and it poisons his brain with a lot of what you expect; logical fallacies, cherry picking, etc.

I would like to use some select Daily Show clips to try and help reach my Republican step-dad. After years of watching The Daily Show it all tends to blend together. Yet I know there are some great bits out there that he would benefit from seeing, because they make their point in a way that makes it clear just how insane and messed up the situation is. I'm looking for clips like the coverage of the Climate Change Committee and John Oliver's series on Gun Control in Australia. Also anything that shows how utterly terrible fox news is, is a plus.

What recommendations of really compelling Daily Show clips can you goons make?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I want these shows to be political, but they need to cool it with analojokes - describing whatever Trump et al said/did, followed by "that's like..." whatever. That's just an analogy, not a real joke. If you have a real zinger then sure, but Colbert, Meyers, Oliver, and Noah are leaning on 'em way too much.

I blame Oliver, he was the leader in doing this, everyone saw how many hits his segments got on Youtube, and followed suit. I realize 10 minutes of material a night is a lot but that's what you're paid for.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 9, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pwn posted:

I want these shows to be political, but they need to cool it with analojokes - describing whatever Trump et al said/did, followed by "that's like..." whatever. That's just an analogy, not a real joke. If you have a real zinger then sure, but Colbert, Meyers, Oliver, and Noah are leaning on 'em way too much.

I blame Oliver, he was the leader in doing this, everyone saw how many hits his segments got on Youtube, and followed suit. I realize 10 minutes of material a night is a lot but that's what you're paid for.
It's Family Guy-esque "reference as humor" laziness. I blame Oliver too. He's capable of making actual jokes but he doesn't have to anymore.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

This might be a bit too far out there since it's fiction, but you made your step-dad sound a bit like the kind of Republican that Big John represents with his melt-down in Alpha House.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've been watching The Daily Show since it's Bush-era heyday. Years and years of great bits many of which did a fantastic job of communicating complex political concepts in a quick and very laymen way. I'm sure a lot of it was edited to make their point not every argument was that well made, but I was always impressed with how they were able to make politics accessible and completely drive a point home.

My step-dad is not a terrible human being. He took in a black kid that wasn't his and outside of being a little neurotic about cleanliness, has always treated me well, certainly better than some other blood-related members of my family. He's also a Republican. But he's not an rear end in a top hat. He doesn't drive a truck that's modified to shoot out huge plums of coal smoke or jack up the AC on Earth Day. In fact he's quite the opposite, he's a health food nut who's even more rabid about recycling than I am and freaks out when anyone leaves the lights on in an empty room or turns on the heat or ac. So I guess in that regard he's more of a business-wing Republican. Anyway, I can tell that he's not unreachable. His primary problem is that he watches way too much fox news and it poisons his brain with a lot of what you expect; logical fallacies, cherry picking, etc.

I would like to use some select Daily Show clips to try and help reach my Republican step-dad. After years of watching The Daily Show it all tends to blend together. Yet I know there are some great bits out there that he would benefit from seeing, because they make their point in a way that makes it clear just how insane and messed up the situation is. I'm looking for clips like the coverage of the Climate Change Committee and John Oliver's series on Gun Control in Australia. Also anything that shows how utterly terrible fox news is, is a plus.

"Nice guy" + "watches and is easily fooled by Faux News" != "a nice guy" unfortunately. Or at least not an intelligent guy. :(

Anyways, what you're asking for is kind of a difficult proposition because there's almost 2 decades of material to go through (not the Kilbourne years, though.) I guess you could watch the show on an ongoing basis, or catch the clips posted to FB or YT or wherever and share the ones you like. In general the stuff you're asking for is when the research department finds A/V of Recucklicans contradicting themselves and then Jon/Trevor rips into them for their hypocrisy (e.g. the Recucklicans endorsing Merrick Garland before he was nominated by Obama.) Really though, what you need to do is to get him to stop watching Faux News. The antidote isn't going to help if he keeps drinking the poison.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Can't you just go through the archives and jean everything tagged with Fox? The 50 lies in 50 seconds type stuff is what I'd start with personally.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't know that something that is going to be mocking him is the best path to enlightening him.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think you should leave your dad alone. He's set in his ways and someone that watches Fox News on a regular basis isn't interested in the daily show or what they have to say and will just rebut anything the daily show says with misinformation from a more "reputable" (to them) source.

Just don't talk politics and enjoy that relationship with your dad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not sure how old your dad is, but at a certain age, most people get stubborn and set in their ways politically. My parents are DNC-style Democrats, my mom is 70 and my dad is approaching that milestone, and I know that no amount of Chapo Trap House and Jacobin will get them to change their minds. My advice to you is to not bother.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

These days, comedians who talk about that subject are a dime a dozen. When is the tipping point gonna happen? Comedy always goes in phases, but it feels like the political/social commentary comedy fad we're in is taking forever.
Yeah Trevor Noah' s comedy would be way better if it was about airplane peanuts and girlfriends

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
People certainly get more stubborn and set in their ways as they age, but who knows. Donald Trump has my entire family in political agreement for the first (and probably only) time in my life.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gwenyth isn't "far left". She's not a Marxist. She's a privileged fuckwit, a lunatic, and a snake oil salesman.

Horseshoe theory is stupid.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Echo Chamber posted:

Gwenyth isn't "far left". She's not a Marxist. She's a privileged fuckwit, a lunatic, and a snake oil salesman.

Horseshoe theory is stupid.

Even if she was it wouldn't stop her from being a horrible human being. People can have layers. Awful awful layers.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The show came back ((No one noticed))

Roy Wood Jr. continues to be funny.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I noticed, I just couldn't watch because FiOS crapped out and my recording was only 6 minutes of digital noise.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: Who is this guy?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Jordan klepper's gettin a show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And it's... the Colbert Report again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

And it's... the Colbert Report again?
I doubt it'll be as good. Colbert made his character work partially because he's an actor by trade, and Klepper's just a comedian. He's not a bad one, but there's more to making a character than just being funny. Also, I don't think that Klepper was the most sought-after correspondent at any point on TDS, although admittedly I haven't been keeping up.

• Locked thread