Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I may have played The Impossibility Of Reason more than any other CD I owned around the time it came out. Chimaira were dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

YOUR

POWER TRIP

UUUGH

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Impossibility is definitely cool, but I've always like their self titled the most. The songs are longer on there which some people might not like, but the drumming and riffing on that album are loving out of this world.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think my favorite song by them is Six off of Resurrection. My favorite ATR song is Six off of The Fall of Ideals. Now I just need a 3rd band with a song named Six that's really good to have the 6-6-6 favorite trifecta

In other news, this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjtiJ33qME

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kumba posted:

I think my favorite song by them is Six off of Resurrection. My favorite ATR song is Six off of The Fall of Ideals. Now I just need a 3rd band with a song named Six that's really good to have the 6-6-6 favorite trifecta

In other news, this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjtiJ33qME

Closest I could find off the top of my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09KScSe4hIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAajsIDtQ-U

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Impossibility is definitely cool, but I've always like their self titled the most. The songs are longer on there which some people might not like, but the drumming and riffing on that album are loving out of this world.

:agreed:

The s/t is one of the best albums to come from that whole mid-2000s NWOAHM movement (god what an awful acronym but I don't know that Chimaira really counts as metalcore so whatever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mhB8Qku4jk

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
2002 was my senior year of undergrad, and a friend of mine in class was from Cleveland and was into metal. He came in one day and handed me a burned CD that said Chimaira on it and told me to check out this sick new band from his city. I popped it in my discman on the way to the next class and was confronted with a lovely Slipknot soundalike with DJ turntables and other EDM poo poo. I found it unlistenable and couldn't figure out how to tell my friend I didn't like it (because I'm not Shooga).

Then a couple years later they totally rerecorded that debut, cut all the electronic crap out, and acted like it never happened. I enjoyed the next album a lot more. But lol I wish I had held onto that burned CD of the demo version of their debut LP because holy crap it was hilarious how much they were trying to sound like the first Slipknot tape. That's my story.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
new TAS album leaked a week in advance, its lovely quality (128kbps) but u better believe i'm grabbing that poo poo

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

TheIllestVillain posted:

new TAS album leaked a week in advance, its lovely quality (128kbps) but u better believe i'm grabbing that poo poo

I really hope it's good. I loved Coma Witch. The two singles from Gravebloom kind of put me to sleep. I love Vincent's voice but his lyrics are super basic and boring anymore, and I can't musically tell the two tracks apart at all. No memorable breakdowns. Come on guys do iiiitttttt do a good record.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

I really hope it's good. I loved Coma Witch. The two singles from Gravebloom kind of put me to sleep. I love Vincent's voice but his lyrics are super basic and boring anymore, and I can't musically tell the two tracks apart at all. No memorable breakdowns. Come on guys do iiiitttttt do a good record.

I remember the same thing being said about Coma Witch before it came out, so hopefully it's the same situation here.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I remember the same thing being said about Coma Witch before it came out, so hopefully it's the same situation here.

The lead singles for CW were definitely the weaker tracks.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Just realized why I like Erra so much. It reminds me of Misery Signals when they were good (first three records before they tried to become Opeth).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

Just realized why I like Erra so much. It reminds me of Misery Signals when they were good (first three records before they tried to become Opeth).

Sorry but Controller owns

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Wamsutta posted:

I don't understand this post at all. None of those 3 bands have ever sounded alike.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sorry but Controller owns

100%, it's their third full length record so I included it. I love that tape.

The fourth one (Absent Light) was mehhhhhhhhh from what I remember of the one listen I was compelled to give it

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 23, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

100%, it's their third full length record so I included it. I love that tape.

The fourth one (Absent Light) was mehhhhhhhhh from what I remember of the one listen I was compelled to give it

While it's true Absent Light doesent go as hard as their previous stuff, "musically" it's probably the best song writing they've ever done. It took me awhile to get into it, but I like it a lot now.

Controller is still my favorite though.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

i've listened to it a few times and i think i have a good feel of it, i don't instantly love it like i did with Coma Witch but it's still pretty good.

the last two tracks are ridiculous though, Walled City might be their heaviest song yet.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I have been a huge Acacia Strain fan for many years. I can distinctly remember all of the times I've heard a brand new song for the first time and anxiously awaiting a new album of theirs to drop.

First impression of Gravebloom is that the band is pretty much out of ideas and that they can't even capitalize on what fans like about their sound. Write a hybrid Wormwood/Dead Walk sounding album and I think that's pretty much a homerun as far as I'm concerned. Though I know different TAS fans like different aspects of their sound.

The bouncy part at 1:04 in Big Sleep is pretty much exactly what I want to hear a LOT more of from TAS. Wish they would throw pinch harmonics in for good measure like DL used to do.

0:15 in Model Citizen, 1:01 in Whale Shark (Coma Witch), 1:30 in Dust and the Helix (DITOM), 0:00 in The Impaler (Wormwood) - these are all the styles I love and think what make TAS stand out from other downtempo deathcore bands. They have that hardcore bounce to them.

I hope my opinion changes as I listen more, but I'm pretty underwhelmed so far on like two solid listens.

e: I'm also slightly disappointed that they've moved away from the convention of having a long intro with an ominous audio clip. I can understand it gets old and you skip it during subsequent listens, but I appreciate consistency and ever since Wormwood they've been having Angry Blue design their layouts and have included a bird on each cover. And they already have a loving clip in the first song but it just breaks up the flow and would have been better off being in the beginning anyway.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 25, 2017

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

I have been a huge Acacia Strain fan for many years. I can distinctly remember all of the times I've heard a brand new song for the first time and anxiously awaiting a new album of theirs to drop.

First impression of Gravebloom is that the band is pretty much out of ideas and that they can't even capitalize on what fans like about their sound. Write a hybrid Wormwood/Dead Walk sounding album and I think that's pretty much a homerun as far as I'm concerned. Though I know different TAS fans like different aspects of their sound.

The bouncy part at 1:04 in Big Sleep is pretty much exactly what I want to hear a LOT more of from TAS. Wish they would throw pinch harmonics in for good measure like DL used to do.

0:15 in Model Citizen, 1:01 in Whale Shark (Coma Witch), 1:30 in Dust and the Helix (DITOM), 0:00 in The Impaler (Wormwood) - these are all the styles I love and think what make TAS stand out from other downtempo deathcore bands. They have that hardcore bounce to them.

I hope my opinion changes as I listen more, but I'm pretty underwhelmed so far on like two solid listens.

e: I'm also slightly disappointed that they've moved away from the convention of having a long intro with an ominous audio clip. I can understand it gets old and you skip it during subsequent listens, but I appreciate consistency and ever since Wormwood they've been having Angry Blue design their layouts and have included a bird on each cover. And they already have a loving clip in the first song but it just breaks up the flow and would have been better off being in the beginning anyway.

I agree with this, but would add that one reason I enjoyed Coma Witch so much is to me it was a Wormwood/Dead Walk hybrid. I miss the days when songs would have cool groovy chuggy breakdowns that stand on their own. Nowadays they stick drum fills and and lyrics over top of them and it's not as fun. I'm having a hard time expressing myself. This record sounds very "samey" even for a band that some people have criticized for being samey for 15 years. I'm half way in now and nothing has grabbed me and given me a "holy poo poo" moment like carbomb, smoke ya later, 4x4, Whoa, shut it down!, Seaward, Forget Me Now, etc. My first listen to Whale Shark on Coma Witch blew my loving mind. Maybe I liked them before the Doom/sludge element became more prevalent in their sound. I'm a simple man. I like big asses, craft beer, and chugging breakdowns.

e: Walled City is pretty loving insane. This is the song I want to be listening to when the nukes fall. Apocalypse in a song.

e2: I listened to it like four times while doing yard work today. The production is fantastic, I'll give it that. Model Citizen is the most "vintage TAS" song on here with the bouncing riff parts, and this song goes hard. I like the tape but I wish it had more vintage and less slow doom.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 25, 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Keep listening to Gravebloom hoping something clicks but it just isn't :/

Somewhat related: While I'm at work, I like to play YouTube videos of live shows on my second screen. Found this one of Acacia Strain live on this summer's Warped Tour. Regardless of whether this new album is a winner, TAS is always solid live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFKMT02YtVQ

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Vincent sounds, uh, bad in that live video :/ I haven't sene them in years but he used to sound worlds better. Bad day for him maybe.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Might've been posted before but hadn't heard it and this poo poo owns. Noice bit of riffage. Looking forward to that album now

Wage War - Stitch

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Those guys are from around here (Gainesville FL) and it's cool they're getting national attention, they're good and put on a good show

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

Vincent sounds, uh, bad in that live video :/ I haven't sene them in years but he used to sound worlds better. Bad day for him maybe.

I've seen them once or twice a year for like... ever. Vince sounds more off than usual in the Warped video but honestly it's pretty on par with most of his vocal performances these days. I really feel like Gravebloom might be close to TAS's last album. Unless everyone has lucrative enough careers to support themselves fairly well on the side, can't imagine they'll keep doing this as they get closer to 40 years old.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Drunkpostin, little sense was made

Mackers fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 1, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
What are you on about

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Here's my review of the new album from The Acacia Strain:

Sure is another album from The Acacia Strain.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Here's my review of the new album from The Acacia Strain:

Sure is another album from The Acacia Strain.

Pretty much. It's a continuation of Very Serious Hateful Evil Metal TAS. It works for me in limited doses, mainly at the gym. Aside from Plague Doctor, Gravebloom, and Model Citizen (this song bangs so hard) it sorta blurs together. I think the band both stopped having fun and ran out of ideas somewhere around DITOM and recaptured some of their bounce/funk on Coma Witch. I really miss the goofier TAS who used a photoshopped Mountain Dew or Starter logo on a t shirt, who didn't have to rhyme every lyric, and who threw in silly/funny one liners and didn't exclusively write MURDER YOU KILL YOU END ALL HUMANS THE END TIMES ARE COMING, DEHUMANIZE AND FACE TO DEATHCORE poo poo they're on now. I want funny lyrics, two step parts and mosh riffs. At least we have the older poo poo.

TAS gonna TAS, basically.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can we get the thread title changed to just DEHUMANIZE AND FACE TO DEATHCORE because I laughed pretty hard at that

But yeah, I agree with this assessment pretty much entirely.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

As much as I'd like to cling to my "favorite" band, Oceano has really replaced TAS in terms of heavy poo poo that grooves and bounces with solid breakdowns.

Wamsutta's assessment of TAS lately is spot on. Have you noticed that with the exception of the first song, "Worthless", every song on Gravebloom is a two-word title (I count Gravebloom because it's a compound word)? With the amount of times Vincent has used "sleep and death" as elements of his songwriting, and with how every single line rhymes, the song title choice seems very deliberate.

It's hard to read Vincent and Devin (guitarist) write posts on Instagram about how proud they are of this record when it feels like one of their least inspired.

Interestingly, I feel that every other TAS record is a hit for me. I like Dead Walk, Wormwood, and Coma Witch. Not so huge on Continent, DITOM, or Gravebloom. I think it's telling that most of the songs they play live are from the first three albums and less from the latter three. They only play Dust in the Helix from DITOM every once in a while (it's a great, minute-and-a-half song) and they stopped playing JFC lately (but still play my least favorite: Dr Doom). They play 4x4 and Whoa Shut it Down from Dead Walk and Beast is undeniably their most popular song at this point in their career. They also play Ramirez and Hills Have Eyes very often.

If they make another album in 2-3 years, I feel like it'll just have to be better than GB. Also, after writing this post, I realize I probably care way too much about TAS.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah I write a lot of words about them too but I've liked them since 04 and haven't given a poo poo about any band that long except them. It natural to be wordy when you're passionate. I'm with you on the album preference except I really like Continent. The fact that you don't list 3750 (let alone Life Is Very Long) kind of meshes with the band. They always pretended LIVL didn't exist, but used to at least play 3750, Smoke Ya Later, Brown Noise etc sometimes. I think they've disavowed it entirely, which blows. My favorite tape to this day.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I agree. Oceano eats The Acacia Strain's fuckin lunch these days. No question.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah I write a lot of words about them too but I've liked them since 04 and haven't given a poo poo about any band that long except them. It natural to be wordy when you're passionate. I'm with you on the album preference except I really like Continent. The fact that you don't list 3750 (let alone Life Is Very Long) kind of meshes with the band. They always pretended LIVL didn't exist, but used to at least play 3750, Smoke Ya Later, Brown Noise etc sometimes. I think they've disavowed it entirely, which blows. My favorite tape to this day.

LIVL is just a straight up Not Good album so it's perfectly fine that it has essentially been written out of canon. 3750 is okay but I was baffled back in the day when the sentiment from my social circle was that they wished Dead Walk sounded more like 3750. Similarly, people wanted Wormwood to be Continent 2.0. Continent is a cool album but Dr Doom is a song I've heard a zillion times live (seeing them once or twice a year for the last ?? years and they *always* play it) and the only other song that was a staple live song was Skynet which has an awful-sounding chorus. My favorite songs off Continent are Seaward (which I don't they've ever played live ever) and Cthulhu (which I've only ever heard live on the DVD they put out)

Probably sounds loving weird to admit, but I fantasize about when TAS calls it quits and plays a big show in either MA or upstate NY and play a poo poo ton of songs and maybe even brings DL back out to play some of the older poo poo. I'd definitely fly out for something like that.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

TAS tape killed the thread

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Wamsutta posted:

TAS tape killed the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6lKjhASrxs

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyway. loving whatever. Rings of Saturn released a new song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmu3zjmkJZ0

They did it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LOe8yHjVLA

These two tracks are extremely my poo poo. Bring on the rest.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that owned, I'm super excited for that release

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So Doc Coyle, the ex guitarist from God Forbid, has a podcast called "The Ex Man" where he talks to various band-members that he's friends with. I highly recommend his two podcasts where he talks to Mark and Jim from Chimaira. It sheds a lot of light on Chimaira over the years, and Doc is actually a pretty good interviewer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New jam from Stray From The Path

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-SiZSlmhI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

SFTP are hometown heroes for me but I couldn't even get past the opening line of that song: "you just got knocked the gently caress out" ok guys we get it, you wish you were RATM. Hang it up.

e: Just so I don't sound like a 100% huge piece of poo poo about everything all the time, there was a period where I was jamming Rising Sun like it was the best thing produced by instruments. loving love that record and it made me fall in love with vocalists going "BLEGH!" I have a theory that when SFTP went on tour with The Acacia Strain, those started to rub off on Vincent, since that's around the time he started incorporating that into TAS music. I think it was around the time of Death is the Only Mortal. You don't hear it much on Wormwood but it's prominent in almost every song on DITOM

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 12, 2017