Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dungeons and dragons? character sheet?

prey is a game where you shoot the monster with a shotgun and a brain blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gazpacho posted:

nah it sucks so i uninstalled it. games that rigidly follow d&d mechanics are generally bad, and "hard at first, but gets easier" is a crazy dumb way to design a game

I really like a masochistic difficulty curve though. I like becoming good with limited ability, then by the time you're powered up it's like you've earned being godlike.

E - oh, you mean Prey, what? you get tons more enemies when you progress in the main mission. It's just by then you can wipe them out individually very quickly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 12, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its really not even hard at the start of the game unless you're an idiot or really bad at games

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jose posted:

its really not even hard at the start of the game unless you're an idiot or really bad at games

Yea, I thought he meant DX. Both of them though, not hard so much as much slower going. (I say that after replaying them both a ton)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 12, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

nah it sucks so i uninstalled it. games that rigidly follow d&d mechanics are generally bad, and "hard at first, but gets easier" is a crazy dumb way to design a game

how is it that you've played deus ex but somehow prey is beyond your comprehension

seriously what the gently caress lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gobblecoque posted:

how is it that you've played deus ex but somehow prey is beyond your comprehension
deus ex is good and prey is bad, that's how. though on my last deus ex playthrough I chose a bad aug mix and couldn't get past simons. :shrug:

Caesar Saladin posted:

dungeons and dragons? character sheet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Avellone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol you're just bad at gaming then

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

lol you're just bad at gaming then
hmmm.. not sure what u mean

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gazpacho posted:

hmmm.. not sure what u mean

How can you not be able to get past Simons, just blow him up with a gep gun it's really not that hard.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I stuck with the prod

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

I stuck with the prod

Throw grenades, use a LAW, wtf.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

run past him and don';t actually fight lol

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I got to that part in Prey where Alex wants me to learn Alien spells, but it sounds like a trap

Gonna max out combat focus & security weapons instead. Can anyone confirm it is indeed a trap?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its cool and good to do so you'll just get shot by the occasional turrent. ones you've hacked are still friendly. psychoshock is by far the most important though

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
What was the name of the other augmented guy who was one of the big bads?

Because first time I played the game when I got to area 51 and I saw him running towards me I blew him up with a rocket launcher before he got close enough to trigger the pre-boss dialogue.

I reloaded the game to hear what he had to say. Then rereloaded and blew him up again.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

What was the name of the other augmented guy who was one of the big bads?

Because first time I played the game when I got to area 51 and I saw him running towards me I blew him up with a rocket launcher before he got close enough to trigger the pre-boss dialogue.

I reloaded the game to hear what he had to say. Then rereloaded and blew him up again.

Simons?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
So which is better, revision or GMDX?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i watched some let's play prey vids and it turns out i walked right past the shotgun because it wasn't presented clearly.

naturally you dorks are gonna say this is my fault while ignoring that there are well established conventions for presenting essential weapons so that this doesn't happen. doom generally puts new weapons on lighted platforms, doom 2 starts you off looking straight at the shotgun and forces you to pick it up, HL2 has scripted sequences to present the grav gun and rocket launcher, HL2E1 puts the pistol next to a gate with a padlock, etc. etc. all of this is done because the designers thought about how someone other than themselves would experience the game. it's like the prey designers didn't playtest at all or ignored the playtester feedback because they think it's cool to be ~subtle~

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

i watched some let's play prey vids and it turns out i walked right past the shotgun because it wasn't presented clearly.

naturally you dorks are gonna say this is my fault while ignoring that there are well established conventions for presenting essential weapons so that this doesn't happen. doom generally puts new weapons on lighted platforms, doom 2 starts you off looking straight at the shotgun and forces you to pick it up, HL2 has scripted sequences to present the grav gun and rocket launcher, HL2E1 puts the pistol next to a gate with a padlock, etc. etc. all of this is done because the designers thought about how someone other than themselves would experience the game. it's like the prey designers didn't playtest at all or ignored the playtester feedback because they think it's cool to be ~subtle~

nice

meltdown

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gazpacho posted:

naturally you dorks are gonna say this is my fault

I wasn't going to judge you but then you revealed you couldn't get past Walter Simons and I realized you're just bad at videogames.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

"hard at first, but gets easier" is a crazy dumb way to design a game

Deus Ex is a game where you are basically unkillable a third of the way through when you get the regen aug and then they give you an infinite use laser sword that kills anyone in one hit just to make absolutely sure it loses all it's challenge.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I could have sworn it was Walton Simons not Walter

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah it is.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just lol if you use a laser sword to kill people in melee like some kind of loving 1168AD peasant soldier. Get a firearm you loving idiot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

communism bitch posted:

Just lol if you use a laser sword to kill people in melee like some kind of loving 1168AD peasant soldier. Get a firearm you loving idiot.

Yeah but if you move super fast, jump super high, go invisible, and can use the laser sword to open any door and kill anyone in one hit, it's actually better than being super slow and lining up shots.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

I can't tell if this is a real post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

I missed the shotgun at the beginning of prey as well and didn't pick it up until after I met the first couple of survivors. I made it up to that point just fine using the glue gun, the pistol (try to find the typhon's head! Headshots do matter) and grenades. I thought it was neat that the gun specifically wasn't placed on a rotating glowing platform in front of a door you had to go through. Have you perhaps tried not sucking at games

silvergoose posted:

How can you not be able to get past Simons, just blow him up with a gep gun it's really not that hard.

I can quote most of deus ex lines off the top of my head, but not Walton Simon's in the boss fights because I think 9 times out of 10 I just speed aug and jump past him and leave him at the bottom of the ocean

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 12, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anyway having the game be a little bit more challenging at the beginning, where the burning typhons kill you in one hit so you have to sneak around them, makes it that much more satisfying when you get the level 3 brain explosion and all the psi boosters and upgrade your shotgun all the way and you see one of those guys and it's like "yawn, another one? *kerzap* *splat*”

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

jojoinnit posted:

oops lol, looks like I need to play deus ex again

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't realize GMDX won't let you silence the regular pistol so I was dropping upgrades on it until I got a silencer and it kind of ruined my day. Also all the new upgrades they created apparently aren't in 8.0.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can't silence the regular pistol in vanilla Deus Ex either

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Dishonored is a similar sort of game.

How's the second one?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't silence the regular pistol in vanilla Deus Ex either

Yeah but you should use it anyway cause holy poo poo it's a death machine when you mod it up and get it to max skill.

Then make sure you drop it before gunther steals it, and make sure you get the right one back after getting captured, it's so easy to do it incorrectly and whoops there goes your murder pistol.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Psycho Society posted:

nice

meltdown
oh look, another doofus who thinks that any game that hits the right nerd buttons is above criticism

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
i've never played prey, i'm just the sort of doofus that appreciates a good meltdown

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

there's a shotgun at the beginning of the game?

man guess my next playthrough is going to be even easier, I might up the difficulty level

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lunchabully posted:

there's a shotgun at the beginning of the game?

man guess my next playthrough is going to be even easier, I might up the difficulty level

You can sneak into the security office in the lobby by using the glue gun to climb over the door

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

How's the second one?

if you liked the first one you'll like the second but you'll get to the end and be like "yeah, that was nice but I'm done". It's really pretty and plays well and has a well-realized world but it's a sequel in the truest sense. It takes absolutely no risks and is really just more of the same game.

also if you're the kind of person who cares about plot in their murder simulators it doesn't even bother with the kind of predictable "twist" that the first one had. you'll know within 15 minutes of playing the game exactly how the story will go

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Paul.

UNATCO hurt my weenie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cubone posted:

Paul.

UNATCO hurt my weenie

That's terror.

• Locked thread