Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Probably because Ubisoft expected this console to just be for kids, and when it sold mostly to 30 somethings with disposable income it was too late to adjust.

They should have watched the Announcement Trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first South Park game uses Oblivion's proprietary Onyx engine; I can see Ubisoft/Oblivion being hesitant to put in the work to make the engine work on the Switch when there's really only one or two games that would realistically be released that use it, especially when there is a (comparatively) small customer base that would buy the game.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Ventana posted:

This is overall a good post, but I wanted to focus on this bit. It certainly could be a big problem as it is in some other fighting games, but at the same time I can kinda sorta see why a dev might think it'd be okay in Arms. In other fighting games, if you whiff a normal at a distance then the opponent has to commit to something to punish it (either do a special move, or just to close in space). In Arms though, the general gameplay is already combat at a distance, so while it still takes a commitment it's more straightforward to do something about it.

There are of course lots of details that go into balancing out this sort of scenario (is the concept of whiffing attacks only going to promote wild punch spamming, are there suitable counters and punishes for that, etc), but at the least I can see a logic behind why they thought this might be an okay idea.

They actually just released a balance patch: it removed the lovely stage everyone hated from ranked, and it addressed a number of issues that people had. Overall a good patch that gives me a fair bit of confidence.

As for the meter building on whiff: there's a few problems specific to this game, mostly because rush attacks are REALLY good. Some stages that are larger do allow you to whiff really hard just to build meter. I heard

One of the things I'm the worst at in Arms is using my rush attack well (I tend to misunderstand how it works exactly and the best way to land it) but it's generally agreed to be super super good and possibly too strong. Generally if you have rush and your opponent doesn't, they have way fewer safe options until they either bait it out or just get hit by it. There's a close up throw attempt/rush option select right now that basically puts your opponent into a total lose/lose situation with no drawback, and I also feel like slower arms become extremely risky to punch with AT ALL if your opponent has rush.

In a game where you're supposed to be going for well-placed punches and focusing on a good mix of defense and offense, it feels off when you get into a match where your opponent just starts spamming punches as fast and safely as they can from distance to build meter over you. It's a way bigger problem on larger stages where they can build a good chunk of meter by spamming from the edge of the map while you waste time moving toward them (and thus building less meter than them).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

lelandjs posted:

The first South Park game uses Oblivion's proprietary Onyx engine; I can see Ubisoft/Oblivion being hesitant to put in the work to make the engine work on the Switch when there's really only one or two games that would realistically be released that use it, especially when there is a (comparatively) small customer base that would buy the game.

Also the game's been delayed like five times already.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Golden Goat posted:

How long did it take another Metroid to come out after Other M?

6 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime:_Federation_Force

angel opportunity posted:

As for the meter building on whiff: there's a few problems specific to this game, mostly because rush attacks are REALLY good. Some stages that are larger do allow you to whiff really hard just to build meter. I heard

I didn't mention it in my post, but yeah I do agree with you on this take about rush attacks and how the game is. I just wanted to point out that I think, in theory, a game like Arms could balance around building meter on whiff. And yeah I agree that the new patch points to the devs going in the right direction, though we don't know yet how far they'll go if something is fundamentally broken.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Also the game's been delayed like five times already.

I would imagine this is closer to the answer than anything. It's been delayed so many times for so long I'm sure they're not looking to do anything that might delay it further. Maybe once they finally get it out the door they'll look at other ports.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it just me or does the Switch put out a crazy amount of heat

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn't say a crazy amount but mine does get warm after playing for more than an hour or so.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mine gets warm, never hot though.

I touched it the other day and felt airflow and was super confused until I remember they managed to have a fan in the little bastard.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

After three days I'm already annoyed that I bought a physical copy of Mario Kart. Never again.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

AndrewP posted:

After three days I'm already annoyed that I bought a physical copy of Mario Kart. Never again.
As someone holding a physical copy of MK and waiting for my Switch to arrive: why?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mk8 is a prime example of Imma boot this up for 20 minutes Oh drat it where is the cart when you should have it digital

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

As someone holding a physical copy of MK and waiting for my Switch to arrive: why?

Oh I just hate switching them in and out. I've been pretty much digital only for my PS4 for the past few years and got used to the convenience.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Makes sense.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll probably go digital more when Amazon starts selling digital codes for the same prices. It's so silly and doesn't make sense that Splatoon 2 could be $48 physically but $60 digitally.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have to go all digital until at least 2018 cause Zelda lives in my switch and I am not taking her out of there until I finish the Champions Ballad with 900 koroks on hard mode.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Norns posted:

Ahh. I don't play Zelda docked very much.

Is there a secret to playing zelda in handheld mode comfortably? I was really excited about playing handheld but am really struggling with the joycons. Especially on the right side. Everything feels out of place and i have to do a claw grip to get everything to work. Already switched jump/sprint controls. Maybe my baby sensitive hands are just spoiled by PS4/Xbone/Pro controllers but it's been really uncomfortable. I think it would be fine for other games but it just feels like an awkward stretch.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Ordered a screen protector and SD card almost a week ago and that poo poo hasn't shipped. I'm impatient. Waiting for the card to arrive to download Mario Kart.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

E-Money posted:

Is there a secret to playing zelda in handheld mode comfortably? I was really excited about playing handheld but am really struggling with the joycons. Especially on the right side. Everything feels out of place and i have to do a claw grip to get everything to work. Already switched jump/sprint controls. Maybe my baby sensitive hands are just spoiled by PS4/Xbone/Pro controllers but it's been really uncomfortable. I think it would be fine for other games but it just feels like an awkward stretch.

I think you just need to adjust. I'm so used to the joycons that now regular sized controllers feel really weird to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

E-Money posted:

Never bothered me at all, and I come from playing Xbone/PS4.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll probably go digital more when Amazon starts selling digital codes for the same prices. It's so silly and doesn't make sense that Splatoon 2 could be $48 physically but $60 digitally.

This probably won't happen, I don't think Amazon is allowed to set the price on digital copies the way they can with physical, or at least they don't have as wide a margin.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

an actual dog posted:

This probably won't happen, I don't think Amazon is allowed to set the price on digital copies the way they can with physical, or at least they don't have as wide a margin.

I bet if Nintendo set their eshop prices to the 20% off prices that Amazon and Best Buy Gamers club has, they would make more money per sale than they would per physical copies after you account for manufacture, shipping and wholesale prices for retailers to make profit.

I wish I purchased Maro Kart digitally, but $12 is a little steep of a "convenience" charge.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows what makes them the most money better than we do lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I bet if Nintendo set their eshop prices to the 20% off prices that Amazon and Best Buy Gamers club has, they would make more money per sale than they would per physical copies after you account for manufacture, shipping and wholesale prices for retailers to make profit.

I wish I purchased Maro Kart digitally, but $12 is a little steep of a "convenience" charge.

It's like the price of a cheap lunch that isn't McDonald's.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

an actual dog posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows what makes them the most money better than we do lol

Maybe better than you, but I'm Kaz Harai.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FireMrshlBill posted:

Physical sales at brick and mortar stores still make for a sizeable chunk of overall sales and making digital purchases cheaper than undiscounted physical ones is a good way to piss off the very industry you rely on to sell your products.

My Nintendo's discounts represent a strategy to drive digital sales without burning bridges with GameStop et al, but frankly most of the discounts there have been underwhelming.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 12, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno I like getting games for far cheaper on the seasonal Steam sales or PSN's weekly regular and PS+ enhanced flash sales. I liked getting Uncharted 4 for $25 instead of like $40 at GameStop!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

an actual dog posted:

Eh that is an assumption you can only make of you assume companies always make the logical correct decision.

But they are run by people so they don't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

an actual dog posted:

Counterpoint, NES classic.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Policenaut posted:

I dunno I like getting games for far cheaper on the seasonal Steam sales or PSN's weekly regular and PS+ enhanced flash sales. I liked getting Uncharted 4 for $25 instead of like $40 at GameStop!

You can get older games for low prices in online sales, but at launch the cheapest option is always Best Buy and Amazon's 20% programs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, NES classic.

They'll release this every two to three years in limited quantities like the Disney vault and make mad money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They would make madder money if they made more.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have to go all digital until at least 2018 cause Zelda lives in my switch and I am not taking her out of there until I finish the Champions Ballad with 900 koroks on hard mode.

I've repeatedly forgot I have Zelda physically because it has never left the console.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Can I charge this thing on the go with a regular USB to USB-C cable? Could I keep playing zelda on an airplane while it's plugged in and have it stay on? I have a USB charger that I plug a USB to USB-C cable in to charge my phone when not at home so I don't have to unplug the USB-C to USB-C one next to my bed.

edit: portable power bank in OP gives a 404

Tender Bender posted:

I tried this and it charged in sleep mode. While playing Zelda it slowed the battery drain to a few percent in an hour. So your mileage may vary but at the very least it will greatly increase your playtime. I had to use a C to C to actually gain charge while playing.
Long version

Tl;dr version:
Generally the Switch caps its power draw from USB-A-C at about 5V/1.5A, or 7.5W, while the Switch itself can burn up to 8-9W (at least in the most intensive parts of Zelda...in future games? :iiam:). So over A-C worst case you're basically just slowing the drain. But in other less demanding stuff you could be at break even or charging slowly, like I've seen both scenarios within Zelda itself.

Over C-C without USB Power Delivery support (i.e. only up to 5V/3A) it'll pull 5V/2A (10W) so it'll be enough to always charge, barring future games pulling more power. With USB-PD it can pull enough to even run docked mode with the right profile support.

One more thing! The Switch (and its PSU) isn't USB compliant, so it could gently caress poo poo up if the battery/charger doesn't/can't handle the Switch's behavior. I'm thinking it's more an issue if you want USB-PD cause that stuff tends to be the most shoddily implemented, like stuff not actually being able to power what they advertise.

bull3964 posted:

Maybe a little, but the X1 is a known and mature chipset on a well understood platform. This isn't like the early days of the PS3 cell processor.

Most of these devs have been writing for ARM for a while and Nvidia's drivers have been pretty optimized by this point since the ShieldTV has already been around for over two years.
The hardware is mature more or less (the wrinkle being needing to deal with multiple possible performance/output profiles), but the software stack is still new. It's like if you were porting between Windows and macOS, the hardware could be completely identical but you (...and/or whatever middleware dev) still have to deal with all the underlying software differences.

an actual dog posted:

You can get older games for low prices in online sales, but at launch the cheapest option is always Best Buy and Amazon's 20% programs.
Best Buy's isn't just at launch :eng101:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Once a Switch cart has brewed in the cartridge slot for long enough it's tasty juices get transferred to the Switch. Eventually you will be able to literally know a person's tastes by licking the cartridge slot on their Switch.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Phantasium posted:

Once a Switch cart has brewed in the cartridge slot for long enough it's tasty juices get transferred to the Switch. Eventually you will be able to literally know a person's tastes by licking the cartridge slot on their Switch.

Ah, the Cronenberg method.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is there any way to rearrange icons on the menu or add more rows?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

japtor posted:

Best Buy's isn't just at launch :eng101:

This is tru, but it doesn't really matter because they run out of stock a lot and they don't drop their prices as fast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there any way to rearrange icons on the menu or add more rows?

Buy more games. (Idk about rearranging)

I don't want to delete my testfire and testpunch downloads off the menu - I like having them there even though they are useless now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

E-Money posted:

I look past the minor discomfort of the joycons because it's a million times more comfortable than the loving 3ds

• Locked thread